Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2021, 14:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: ₹12-15 Lakh Budget | Need an automatic for daily usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Already listed both of them to him
People don't realise just how good Maruti's 4-Speed AT is for non-spirited drivers. The only grouse with these 2 is that they are not safety-tested
The S-Cross is definitely the safest Maruti on offer currently. It has been tested by the EuroNCAP I believe and as far as one can make out, apart from safety equipment differences, there does not seem to be any other weight difference or impact beam differences. Just drive it and you will understand why I am so confident in my statement about its safety regardless of the fact that it has not yet been tested by GNCAP; the chassis is stiff as heck Also do ask your friend to drive the manual also. As you mentioned he drove a Manza now I'm not sure about how Tata's refinement was back in those days but I can attest that petrol Marutis all have extremely light and easy to operate clutches. Honestly the only time I find myself wishing for an automatic is after a hectic game of football where my whole body is fatigued and sore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Scross is best suited for the given requirements not only for him but 90% of the public wanting to buy a car in that segment. It’s the want of bling and negligence towards mechanical robustness which makes people choose the Korean twins.
Truer words have not been spoken I sometimes feel bored recommending it to nearly everyone on this forum who enquires about a new car nearly twice a day. Simple NA 4cyl petrol engine, robust chassis and acres of space and practicality. What more can one want in a car I say.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 21st September 2021 at 14:57.
IshaanIan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 18:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Sub4M SUVs - Brezza, Sonet, Venue - should be at the top of the list for very nice automatic vehicles that are city traffic friendly. A test drive should seal the deal as to which one of these three feels the easiest to drive in city traffic for the prospective customer.
Probably not going to consider any one of them. The Brezza is too basic and not very VFM and no offence to anyone, but the Korean twins are a big question mark in terms of safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
In the sedan space, the City and Ciaz automatics would be a good fit for his requirements.

In the crossover space, maybe the Nexon and Venue.

In the hatchback space, the Altroz or the i20.
Please read on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Would suggest the Maruti Suzuki S-Cross, Brezza/Urban Cruiser, XL6, Honda City and Hyundai Verna ATs.

In AMTs the Mahindra XUV3OO and Tata Nexon, although their petrol engines are not the best.
Read on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Scross is best suited for the given requirements not only for him but 90% of the public wanting to buy a car in that segment. It’s the want of bling and negligence towards mechanical robustness which makes people choose the Korean twins.
Truer words have never been spoken, sir! It's the original misconception about the S-Cross with it's funky design which makes the Indian market negligent towards it. Top option currently. Have asked him to TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
You could add Kia Seltos HTK+ iMT to your list. Its isn't an automatic but would solve the left knee pain issue. Its 3 Star rated and costs around 14.5 lakhs on road. Has good road presence and all necessary features. The after sales department is also fine.
Not going to look at Kia because of the borderline 3* safety rating on a car which costs 14.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The S-Cross is definitely the safest Maruti on offer currently. It has been tested by the EuroNCAP I believe and as far as one can make out, apart from safety equipment differences, there does not seem to be any other weight difference or impact beam differences. Just drive it and you will understand why I am so confident in my statement about its safety regardless of the fact that it has not yet been tested by GNCAP; the chassis is stiff as heck Also do ask your friend to drive the manual also.
Absolutely agree with you, Ishaan! As I mentioned earlier, the S-Cross is a very competent product only let down by the negligence shown by Indian customers. Top choice right now. Have asked him to TD. Will not be looking at M/T, even though it does have a very light clutch.

P.S: He's not my friend, he happens to be a family friend close to my father

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd September 2021 at 05:24. Reason: Excessive use of italics
akash_v12 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The City does look like an attractive option. Priced just right and is pretty loaded even in the lower trims.

Trackday: How stable does the City feel on the highway? Also, how good is the build relative to VAG Products? Is it filmsy and light or solid. Could you also confirm whether or not the V CVT gets alloys and was the dealership willing to get the alloys changed to the top-spec ones?
My driving style is more in a sedate manner with my Indian road speeds rarely going above the 100 km/hr mark. If this is the bandwidth within which the driving is going to be done, then the car fares well. Above that you have to ask the other city owners.

Regarding the VAG products, my experience (sedan) has been the with the 2011 vento and that thing was definitely built like a tank. You can also check with BHP-ian NotanF1driver who recently took a 5th gen city which replaced a Vento TSI AT. Link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5155059 (The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62)

The V CVT (the variant I own) definitely came with alloys when I took the car in Q4 2020. I think there has been no change in variants offerings so far and you should get the same. You can check more on the V CVT in my review. Link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ty-review.html (Athena | My 5th-Gen Honda City Review)

Last edited by TrackDay : 22nd September 2021 at 12:49.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Options I would consider are :

1) The S-Cross for it's overall VFM quotient. This is a 4M+ Crossover, being sold at prices of sub4M CSUVs with a proper TC Auto.
Coming from the Manza, this would be a good upgrade keeping in mind the comfortable seating. However, I expect an all new model out soon to replace this in the near future.

2) Vitara Brezza: Only advantage over the S-Cross is that this has been officially crash tested, though the S-Cross is superior in almost every other way.
Would suggest looking at it though a new model is expected in 2022.

3) Toyota Yaris : Discontinued, and the polar opposite of the Manza. Well built, reliable, safe, easy to drive! One of the last proper Toyotas available under Rs. 20L. Ground Clearance doesn't seem to be an issue for Mumbai roads unlike the Honda city.

4) Pre-owned Corolla Altis : These cars are built to last. A well maintained model should fit in his budget. If it passes all quality checks, could be an option to consider. Abuse friendly for our roads, safe, comfortable, no-nonsense.

5) Skoda Rapid TSi AT : Dated, but a great no-nonsense vehicle overall. With 6 year warranty, it could be a good option.

While Nexon, XUV300, etc. are excellent products the AMT experience + after sales could leave him wanting.
Hyundai / Kia has not inspired confidence after Seltos crash test results. Since he is conscious about safety, I'd avoid these.
Honda Jazz & WRV : dated and expensive; and the City while reliable could see some bottoming out on roads especially with the new haphazard speed breakers and potholes; while the Amaze is just expensive after the facelift and price hike.
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
My driving style is more in a sedate manner with my Indian road speeds rarely going above the 100 km/hr mark.
Yes, most of the driving will be in the city at speeds definitely less than half of that, thanks to the traffic in Mumbai. However, his criteria has changed now and it's going to now move to Crossovers and SUVs only to tackle the waterlogging that he might possibly encounter during the rainy season. Still will ask him to take a look at the City & the VAG twins.

Absolutely agree with you on your comment on the 2011 Vento. Heck, even our 2016 Vento is going as strong as a rock now. Fingers crossed it runs as well for the next 10 years.

I needed to get your opinion on the City because you're one of the earliest owners of the City on the forum. Thanks for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The S-Cross
The top option right now, have asked him to check it out along with the XL6.

Quote:
Vitara Brezza
Recommended him not to take a look at it because it's quite old at this point and the basic interiors just don't cut it for him.

Quote:
Toyota Yaris
As you mentioned, discontinued and he is not willing to take the path in fear of lack of spares. He is not a car-guy and just wants a peaceful experience so explaining him is a hard thing.

Quote:
Pre-owned Corolla Altis
Won't go the pre-owned route.

Quote:
Skoda Rapid TSi At
Definitely worth a look. Though, the criteria has shifted to SUVs and Crossovers, will ask him to take a look at the twins. The Style/Highline should be easily in reach.

Quote:
Hyundai / Kia
Absolutely, not even going to bother going towards them with the ridiculous results from the Seltos.

Quote:
Honda Jazz & WRV & City
Out of these 3, only the City can get a look mostly. Others are a no.
akash_v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 19:45   #21
BHPian

Considering the worsening effect of rains every year, I would recommend your father's friend to consider cars which are SUVish, over sedans. You'll only get crossovers at that budget, but I believe it'll give some more peace of mind over low-slung sedans. And that actually narrows it down to a few options: Brezza, Magnite & Kiger (you dissed the Koreans, so didn't include them). I wouldn't consider the Nexon & XUV3OO due to the AMT gearbox.

A Duster or Kicks CVT maybe a wildcard entry. Do consider them if your uncle is okay with the dated looks. But Duster is still more comfortable & robustly built than any of the above-mentioned cars. And obviously, service experience wouldn't be as great as Maruti or Toyota.

From whatever you've pointed out about your father's friend, I can draw-up a rough picture of him. He's a person who justs wants a reliable & safe car to go from point A to B in comfort & wants no hassles in maintaining the car. Consequently, I personally wouldn't recommend VAG cars to him at all.

And don't forget, albeit a bit out of budget, the Thar also fits the criteria you've mentioned.

Last edited by Big Smoke : 24th September 2021 at 19:48.
Big Smoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 00:11   #22
BHPian

He/you should definitely look at MG Astor. It's a luxury in this segment of compact SUVs.
Please see below how it meets your requirements:

Quote:
1. Has to be automatic - Absolutely no compromise on this. He is just over 50 and the Manza has been giving him knee pains over his 75KM round-trip under heavy Bombay traffic.
CVT and Torque converter automatic, both are available.

Quote:
2. Open to both sedans & SUVs although an SUV would be preferred to tackle the monsoons.
Astor is a Compact SUV which looks like a premium cross-over.

Quote:
3. Has to be petrol. Again, no compromise on this.
Only available in petrol.

Quote:
4 He is a bit worried about certain brands pulling out of the market in the near future.
MG is selling well (better than Skoda, Volkswagen & Jeep combined) and Astor looks to be super star in the making. MG is here to stay for at least next 15-20 years.

Quote:
5. Should be relatively easy to get it serviced anywhere in Mumbai.
Easily serviceable is Mumbai and Maharashtra (Nashik, Pune, Ahmednagar, Kolhapur as nearby Mumbai).

Quote:
6. A budget of ₹12-15 Lakhs. Lesser the better.
It will undercut Creta in pricing and you should get CVT with NA petrol engine in 15-16 lakhs on road.

Quote:
7. Has to have a minimum of 4* in GNCAP. Unless, it is a really VFM Product worth looking at.
ZS is 5 star rated in Asian NCAP. Astor is essentially the same car with same platform. It also comes with ADAS - Autonomous Driving Assistance like auto emergency brake, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control and many.

Quote:
. Majority of the usage would be in Mumbai traffic, more so during peak traffic hours. Would see very little highway running. But with the pandemic, there is a possibility of it changing. In the last 15 years that I've known him, he has taken none of his cars on the highway. Not a very enthusiastic driver as well. Rather a calm, sedate driver.
Astor also comes with a lot of features and should be easy to maneuver in & around Mumbai.
Net Astor 1.5 NA engine CVT fits almost perfect on your requirements.
dh.harshal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 07:08   #23
BHPian

I know the requirement is strictly petrol, but I read it as 'no diesel'. If that's right, then hiw about Nexon EV?

1. EVs are the best automatics. Excellent pickup, smoother than the smoothest.

2. Usage is mostly city, so no range issues

3. Good ground clearance and comfortable ride.

4. Big saving on running cost in bumper to bumper traffic.

5. The famed 5 star safety.

I don't see any negative here!
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 07:24   #24
BHPian

One of the safest bet will be the Maruti Suzuki S-Cross AT.
Although I personally can't accept a 4 speed AT at this time i.e 2021, specially after owning a Ecosport AT with 6 Speed AT and manual control with paddle shifters.

But, Ford has shut down, so now, we just don't have any 6 speed torque converter AT in this segment with a petrol engine.
Having experienced most of the automatic gearbox options, I will always advice for a Torque Convertor to be the top selection, followed by a stepped CVT. DCT is fun, but reliability issues might crop up. And once you go beyond 10 lakhs, don't even consider an AMT.
Sadly, very competent products like the Tata Nexon and Mahindra XUV300 has AMTs and are priced equally to other automatics.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 07:28   #25
BHPian

As an owner of the S Cross Petrol, the only downside I can think of apart from the missing bling, is the average air con performance. The cooling is alright if pushed, but the stock blower setting in AUTO, coupled with missing rear AC vents results in not so ideal cooling distribution for the entire cabin.

I'm seriously considering 3M's CR70 all around, or at least for the sides and rear glasses. Do take this into account when test driving the S Cross.
MAKMADDY17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 08:25   #26
BHPian

Since it's bombay traffic, sub 4m cars will be a boon to navigate and park.

1) Brezza/urban cruiser - 4 star rating and very reliable TC. Interior quality is the sore thumb(urban cruiser seems slightly better in this aspect)

2) Jazz CVT - A very spacious and practical city car. Honda engine and transmission are most reliable

3) S Cross - Relegated to 3rd spot for the length. Premium interiors compared to Brezza (though engine and transmission is the same )

4) City CVT - Similar dimensions as the S cross, but more fun to drive. But may overshoot the budget. Also GC is a tad worrisome.

5) Polo AT - Strictly a 4 seater, but very compact for urban jungle

Do keep us posted on the final purchase
Voodooblaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 08:42   #27
BHPian

I would suggest to go with the Honda city only, because it’s a no nonsense car, with minimal and usable features, and looks premium, unique and FRESH in this sea of crossovers. Also, it still oozes class, something which I personally don’t find in any car in that range even today, save for how flimsy some of the parts have become in the car, I would still prefer it over anything in that price bracket. Go with it eyes closed in my opinion.
NarediAni7518 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 09:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
How stable does the City feel on the highway? Also, how good is the build relative to VAG Products? Is it filmsy and light or solid
Hi Akash,

For sedate driving along with driving plus rear seat comfort, the city CVT 5th gen feels definitely smooth as silk. I have driven this in crazy Bangalore traffic and come to realise how good the decision to take a supposedly boring CvT turned out to be. The ground clearance is not very bad as many make out to be, with 3 adults on board most of the time I have never scraped once with proper navigation over speed breakers and bad roads.

On the highways, I have not taken it anywhere above 115kmph, at those speeds it definitely feels straight, planted and mature. I am yet to experience the ‘floaty’ conception created by many members in other threads. ABS is non intrusive; Braking is also very efficient with a lack of any drama when I had to come down to 25-30 in a couple of panic situations. For a spirited drive or ghat section, you can always take the S mode with paddle shifters and City becomes the good old City Hope this helps.
Rakeshmbalaji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 09:37   #29
Team-BHP Support

I would recommend the following, in no specific order:

# Honda City CVT (whatever highest variant fits the budget)
# Kia Sonet petrol A/T (its a really nice car. The only catch is its a DCT if I’m not mistaken)
# i20 N Line A/T

From the list above, I suspect the City would be the most fuel efficient
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 10:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
7. Has to have a minimum of 4* in GNCAP. Unless, it is a really VFM Product worth looking at.
I'm not well qualified to make recommendations regarding the other requirements so I'll elaborate only on the safety portion of your requirements, but just to put any confusion to rest, only the following products that are available new have been tested by Global NCAP and obtained at least 4 stars for adult occupant protection. There are some which are rumoured to have lost their rating validity but since this is not confirmed I will include them nevertheless:
Tata Tiago/Tigor
Renault Triber
Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza*
Volkswagen Polo*
Mahindra Marazzo
Mahindra Thar (also passes UN GTR8 for ESC and ECE95 for side impact)
Tata Nexon* (5 stars)
Tata Altroz (5 stars)
Mahindra XUV300 (5 stars, Safer Choice Award for variants with ESC)

*pre-facelift car tested
Other cars are guesses at best, and considering the surprises manufacturers have sprung on us from time to time (both pleasant and unpleasant), I would advise the buyer to either wait, or buy an untested car knowing fully well that it is untested and may score any rating, good or bad. Unless very popular, cars that cost more than INR 12L are unlikely to be tested too often by Global NCAP unless sponsored by the manufacturer, considering they get limited funds from their private sponsors.

Usually, my recommendation in this segment is the Honda City (5th-gen). It's fairly reliable, efficient, practical and decently equipped, and it has a high level of standard safety equipment (including ESC and side body airbags), however, I would recommend stepping up to the VX trim with curtain airbags. Keep in mind that the car type-approved for India has not been independently tested for impact.

Do consider the higher variants of the XUV300 with 6 airbags and ESC too, especially if you're keen on having a car that has an official crash test rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh.harshal View Post
ZS is 5 star rated in Asian NCAP. Astor is essentially the same car with same platform.
Not tested for India yet. May or may not score 5 stars; we'll have to wait. But note that it has ESC as standard equipment and optional side and curtain airbags and may be a good option. The original poster can consider the Astor but only while keeping in mind that it has not been tested.

Last edited by ron178 : 25th September 2021 at 10:35.
ron178 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed