Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2021, 11:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 8 lakh budget | Which car for a 65-year old?

Tata cars - Ask actual owners about experience and service centers. Distinguished BHPisn PrasannaDhana should be the right person to help you with owning Tata cars. I own a Nano, and as inconsequential as a car it may be, the ownership experience is no different to a Maruthi or a Jetta I had. I have a friend who bought a Nexon and has awful luck from an accident to parts falling out after accident but his service experience is nothing short of amazing. I sometimes wonder if Tata fears that got created because of Indicas and Cabs simply continues and actual owners continue to replace their Tata with new Tata cars.

In a similar situation, I would pick an Amaze or Jazz. The refinement and comfort of either of the cars are all that is required for the 4k odd km a year the person will use the car.

Ignis and other small cars will not feel like an upgrade from the I10. That i10 upgrade will always be the new i10. So based on the list above test drive an Amaze and put an end to the confusion.

To add to the confusion - Check Jazz. My favorite retirement vehicle.
VW2010 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 18:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Budget: 8 - 8.5l on road in Mumbai
We had to make the same decision very recently for my Mother in Law who was changing from a 9 year old Maruti Dzire and the cars considered were Hyundai Aura, Renault Kiger, Tata Altroz & Honda Amaze

Being a senior citizen she had her reservations about the maintenance etc. of a Nissan or Renault but we insisted that she at least see the Kiger. She really liked the car and was sold on it at the Showroom, especially given the easy ingress/egress and high ground clearance and a lot more features at the price point than some of the other cars. We requested for TD car to be brought to our place the next day. The TD was a complete deal breaker, the 1 L engine with 4 on board was a drag. May be it was just the TD car but it was vibrating like a 10 year old Diesel. The gear shifts were also not smooth. We did not even want to try the turbo as it would have both exceeded her budget and didn't make a compelling use case for her

She went ahead and purchased a Facelifted version of the Honda Amaze S in Silver and it was delivered a fortnight ago. She did not want to go for the pre facelift version although it did make more commercial sense.

If you do decide to go in for the Amaze, check with multiple dealers for a Pre Facelift version. Many have it in stock and there are some very sweet deals available with up to 60-70k being knocked off the price. We were getting one for 7.5L On road for the pre facelift version which was a great deal. There is barely any difference between the pre and post facelift and if you are fine with having a car manufactured a few months ago with a detailed PDI, go for it
amit_2025 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 20:27   #18
BHPian

I reckon the Hyundai Gi10 Nios (an another i10) would be the perfect car to replace the older one. It does suit the requirements quite well. There are few cars that would match Nios's abilities as a practical, fuss free and easy to drive car.
1. The interior is quite a step up from the OG i10. Design of the dashboard is all new and the dual tone colour scheme really helps in further improving the interior ambience. The cabin is well insulated (for it's price) and is a nice place to spend time in and makes it feel upmarket.
2. High levels of fit and finish makes one feel great about their investment.
3. The exterior design has also received so many changes and is quite an attractive design overall IMO ( a personal opinion).
4. It has all the traditional i10 strengths like a refined 1.2L engine, great pick up and decent fuel efficiency.
5. It feels more surefooted than the older i10 and feels really planted out on the open roads.
6. Extremely light controls and a tight turning radius keeps fatigue levels at bay which makes it an effortless car to drive especially while negotiating the busy traffic scenarios.
7. Plush ride quality deserves a mention. It swallows most of the road imperfections (within it's limits) with ease.
8. Affordable service charges coupled with a strong after sales makes it a potent package.
Phantom 510 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 08:55   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The Maruti Ignis AMT is one of the best choices for elderly folks.
We picked up one (MT though) for my father, and he is so happy.

The Key benefits we found in the Ignis were:
1. Slightly Higher seating position, which results in good front & back visibility.
2. Easier Ingress & Egress compared to the competition (due to the High set seats).
3. A sense of space inside, due to the tall boy design.
4. Compact Foot-Print, which is a breeze in the city.
I'd second this.

Had driven the AMT Ignis a couple of months ago and I was fairly impressed.

The handling was surprisingly well for a tall-body, to the point I was doing unspeakable speeds in my neighborhood corners just to get a hint of that uneasiness I was quite familiar with when driving our body-roll king i.e the F10D Estilo another tall-body.

The AMT unit is also very well sorted, I tried my best to make it crap itself but it worked flawlessly, especially loved the double tap feature that made the car pick up its pace without any delay what so ever.

I personally appreciate the K Series for what they offer in terms of performance and fuel efficiency but I am not particularly a fan as I am a F and G series purist if such a thing exists. But even then I'd still recommend a K series for someone who is in the market for something that is basically a practical choice, you simply can't beat what they have to offer.

Now comparing the Ignis to the Altroz, well, lets not go there, other than the safety ratings I doubt Tata's have anything better to offer, their cars lack any feel to the point that even experienced drivers would need a minute or two to acclimatize with driving one. For me it was like "Well this is a Car, I know how to drive a Car, Hence I am driving said Car" in comparison when inside the Swift or Ignis you get a feel of what the car is doing and you needn't keep your guard up all the time, I bet I'm not making much sense here, well, its one of those 'If you know it, you know it' things.

Coming to a more practical point, I to date have not heard anything even remotely good about the Tata ASC experience, my buddy and fellow enthusiast from the TAI fraternity is a Tata fan to the point that after clocking around 100k on a Nano he went for that AMT Sedan with Adjustable seats and all, I for the love of me cannot recall the name and its not the Tigor, I believe its the model the Tigor replaced. Anyways, at around 100k on the same he maintains the car very well but has told me that he is not confident about going on longer drives with the car due to it having a record of leaving him stranded, his other car which he mainly drives is a German Sedan from a manufacturer that has been recently racking up heat for being unreliable, if that doesn't speak volumes I know not what does.

As for the Hyundai's, they're fairly decent if nothing but you'd have to ask yourself, is the price really justified?

Now coming to the Amaze, one of my uncles had picked up the car a few months ago, around the time I picked up the Alto, it was an unexpected purchase as at the time he found it to be a VFM choice considering the brand and the type of car, yup! Sedans garner respect if you're from a rural section. The car ticks all the boxes but the handling is not what I'd expected from a Sedan to be honest, the engine performance was expected but the handling really caught me off guard, again since its for a senior citizen I doubt it would matter.

So to sum it, I'd still stand by my opinion of going for the Ignis AMT, but a more socially acceptable and value proposition would be the Amaze, and to think of it considering the Tata's and Hyundai's the Honda does make more sense in this category.

Hope I've not added more to the confusion.

Cheers!
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 09:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
AMT would definitely be within budget. Want to avoid Maruti if possible.
I know you said you want to avoid Maruti's but I would strongly suggest the Ignis AMT. I got my father an Ignis MT 2 years back and he has been super happy with the ease of ingress/ egress, all-round visibility, small size, and reasonable peppiness in the engine. I guess the AMT will be similar.

As for safety, Ignis is also a 3* rated car and will hold you well for most scenarios within the city.
Old 1st October 2021, 10:00   #21
BHPian

Go for Ignis AMT eyes closed.
We had the same situation recently in our extended family. It was for a 60 years gentleman upgrading from Alto 800.
We did a test drive of the Altroz/Nexon/Tigor from TATA's table, But somehow he was not able to connect with the TATA cars.
We went to NEXA and checked Baleno & Ciaz CVT. Ignis AMT was a wild card entry which he liked the comfortable seats/compact design for city usage/easy to maintain/NEXA after-sales service is top-notch.
Old 1st October 2021, 10:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Current Car: 2010 i10

Shortlisted Cars

1. Altroz XM+/XT (Petrol NA)
2. Amaze S (Petrol)
3. i20 Magna -- Petrol (Sport would be a stretch)

Usage: Primarily City. Max 4k km a year for a 65 year old

Requirements
1. Good looking and Good interiors. Should feel like an upgrade.
2. Smooth engine (typical Hyundai owner requirement)
3. Not expensive to maintain
You should also get him a TD of Ignis AMT or MT Aplha. It is a very competent city car with good space easy ingress, good visibility and awesome K12 petrol engine.

One of my friends has a 60K run Delta AMT mostly driven in Delhi traffic with absolutely no issues.

Don't dismiss the 1.2K plus AMT combo without a detailed TD.

Further i10 Nios is also a very good car. I have driven a MT, don't have idea about how its AMT performs.

Last edited by buntee90 : 1st October 2021 at 10:48.
Old 1st October 2021, 11:02   #23
KPR
BANNED

Amaze is a good choice among the list that you have given. I don't want to add any other car choice as you have already made a list.
Old 1st October 2021, 11:14   #24
BHPian

At 8 lakhs and being an owner of an Ignis AMT, I would suggest the Zeta AMT or Alpha AMT not because I am biased but this car is just like a better version of Wagon R to be honest. You can take a U-turn even in narrow rural roads plus the engine is so smooth!

Yes some or most may not the like the rear end look of it but how many times are you gonna look at it? I will rather park my car so that the rear faces the wall

Not a single person in my family complained about the Ignis (except we needed 2 more seats).
Old 1st October 2021, 12:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Shortlisted Cars

2. Amaze S (Petrol)
If you are Ok with 3 star rating, i think you should consider Ignis. It is a wonderful little city car with easy ingress and egress and that 1.2K series motor is a Jewel. With the facelift, Maruti has also fixed steering return to Center issue also. Zeta version has all the necessary features and will fall well within your budget.
CrossLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 14:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

As few others already suggested, Ignis with its tall design might help with easy entry/exit for aged gentlemen/ladies. You can also look at the AMT for ease of driving.

Other option could be Baleno/Glanza(Toyota). I only suggested Maruti/Toyota for hassle free service experience for your FIL. i20 might be too blingy (why not grand i10 nios ? )
Old 1st October 2021, 14:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Your shortlisted list of cars includes hatchback as well as a sedan - actually, which one you FIL like to drive?

Though I am not recommending any particular brand/variant, just want to say that I am 67+ and have been driving a Tata Tigor AMT since last 3 years and I enjoy it. AMT cars are very convenient, easy to drive especially in bumper to bumper traffic.

So, whichever brand you are going to choose in the end, I can suggest going for an AMT or AT variant which will give your FIL a tension free ride.
nairrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 17:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I'd second this.

The AMT unit is also very well sorted, I tried my best to make it crap itself but it worked flawlessly, especially loved the double tap feature that made the car pick up its pace without any delay what so ever.

Cheers!
A.P.
Can you please tell me what this double tap feature is? Is it to do with the throttle input?
Old 1st October 2021, 20:55   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Can you please tell me what this double tap feature is? Is it to do with the throttle input?
It is something the Nexa guy who came with the car educated me about, basically if you want the AMT to pick up pace you double tap the accelerator and the AMT downshifts and starts to accelerate hard.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 21:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Shortlisted Cars

2. Amaze S (Petrol)

Usage: Primarily City. Max 4k km a year for a 65 year old

Looking for some inputs, specially from existing Altroz owners if possible. My biggest concern is, will the Tata car age well?
With my recent experience scouring for various size cars for myself and my cousins
  1. Altroz with NA Petrol is Lame. Only Diesel or Turbo petrol makes sense. Altroz is a heavy car.
  2. Amaze V Variant costs approx 8.75 on road. No Discounts. Smooth Engine. Build not as strong as Altroz.
  3. i20 Barebones Magna will fit your budget. Even then you have to increase your budget a bit. approx 8.5 on road.

I suggest increasing the budget to 9 Lakhs. That will open up a lot of options.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks