Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2021, 21:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 8 lakh budget | Which car for a 65-year old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
It is something the Nexa guy who came with the car educated me about, basically if you want the AMT to pick up pace you double tap the accelerator and the AMT downshifts and starts to accelerate hard.
Interesting -thanks for clarifying. I wonder if is true of AMTs in all cars. Must try this trick in mine.
Old 1st October 2021, 23:41   #32
BHPian

For a senior citizen, the most important of all would be : Easy ingress/egress and Good visibility.

While I see this note, "Want to avoid Maruti if possible"... but no better choices than,

1. Ignis AMT
2. Wagon-R AMT

Can confidently say that none of your family members will regret.
rubicon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 23:57   #33
BHPian

I can suggest Santro AMT / i10 Nios AMT. Against the popular sentiment in the forum against the Jerky AMT, I am suggesting it because of the intended user (senior citizen).
Assuming people tend to be light footed and relaxed drivers from 60s (if not already in 50s) who would not find the AMT too jerky.
My FIL who used to work in Middle East, had been using Corolla and then an Accord for about 15 years of stay outside India. After his return to India post retirement, he is using a Santro AMT and he currently has no regrets driving it for about 3 years and 12K kms now.
Amaze is an otherwise excellent option, but for the ingress / exgress.
Old 2nd October 2021, 13:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
1. I don't think that should be a concern, we already have quite a few Nexons and Tiagos on the roads since 5 years at least. Check out ownership threads of those cars to get a good idea.

Your shortlist is good but I would suggest to wait for the Tata Punch as well, have heard that its based on the Altroz's platform and with the higher set driving position will not just be easy to get in and out of for seniors but also inspire more confidence in driving the car. The i20 sits low and so will the Altroz.
Since I had recommended to wait for the Punch and since you're an ICB (The Indian Car Buyer | Struggling with problems in brand new cars) would suggest to include this active-safety advice in your decision as well.
Also contains a bitter experience by a fellow Altroz owner (The Indian Car Buyer | Struggling with problems in brand new cars).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Want my advice?

1. NEVER buy a fresh new model in the first year of production. Wait for 1 - 2 years. In fact, I usually buy cars from even later model years (C220 was after 5 years of model production but the fresh C180 was problematic, Civic was 4 years, 5-Series was ~4 years, Superb was 5 years). The more you wait for the model to mature, the better its reliability will be. Wait for the carmaker to sort out issues.

Manufacturers can do all the testing they want, but the real testing only happens with real-world diverse ownership experiences. No OEM can simulate actual ownership & driving conditions. All manufacturers suffer teething issues - we saw it with the mighty Toyota Innova too. Anyone who is buying a 2021 XUV700 laden with complex electronics = all I can say is, "my best wishes" to you, and "thank you" for volunteering as a beta tester for the rest of us. Ditto for all the new Skoda Kushaq owners who are having nightmares of their own.

2. Even after the model has been in production, be sure to read ownership reviews on Team-BHP. E.g. the Harrier has been around for 2+ years now, but it's still far from niggle-free (ditto for the Safari). On the other hand, there are several ownership reports of car models that have been delivering excellent reliability. Invest some time in research; every hour you spend reading ownership reports could save you 10 (hours) in the longer run.

Last edited by shancz : 2nd October 2021 at 13:33. Reason: add alt exp
Old 6th October 2021, 19:08   #35
BANNED

Will really recommend you to wait for the Punch.
Old 6th October 2021, 20:01   #36
BHPian

After many people here suggesting to try AMT, I convinced my FIL to try one. He is change resistant but the selling point was convenience.

During our test drive, once he pressed the brake with his left foot like a clutch and man that was dangerous!!! I have promised to be his trainer for first 15 days when the car arrives. He was reasonable for the remaining 7-8 kms and definitely started to enjoy last 1-2 kms. He also drove on the bridge slopes, Googles a lot himself.

Made him drive Ignis AMT, Nios AMT and tried a lot to make him drive Tiago but as mentioned before he was change resistant and insisted on NIOS AMT as soon as he drove one. He knows the Service Advisor in the nearby center too.

His love for i10 continues. Booked a Sportz AMT.

Must say Hyundai does a brilliant job with interiors which convinces majority of the buyers. The light gray seats look really nice.

I forced him to have a look at Amaze as I wanted to push for a CVT and I knew women in my family love beige/light interiors but to my surprise the Honda dealer had decided to modify the display car with ugly Blue Foot lights and brown leather covers for the seats. Amaze S has much better interiors and my family didn't even step inside the car. They hated the interiors. Stupid dealer who thought he was DC. That was End of Story for Amaze as my FIL was anyways not too keen on anything that was bigger than his i10.

I would have wanted a Tiago but I myself couldn't keep a straight face when he asked me which of the two would be smoother to drive and will require lesser trips to the service center!!! Answer is it depends but his trust with Hyundai wins.

Thanks everyone here for your fantastic suggestions. Love this community.

Last edited by abhatt : 6th October 2021 at 20:12.
abhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 23:12   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
His love for i10 continues. Booked a Sportz AMT.
Well Nios's interior definitely looks and feels premium, but the fact that it has got 2 stars in safety makes me upset, try to convince your dad that Hyundai has changed and one shouldn't compromise with safety.
Rest is your choice sir, don't let this reply bother you if you have already decided about Nios.
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 14:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
Well Nios's interior definitely looks and feels premium, but the fact that it has got 2 stars in safety makes me upset, try to convince your dad that Hyundai has changed and one shouldn't compromise with safety.
Rest is your choice sir, don't let this reply bother you if you have already decided about Nios.
Its strange how a safety conscious person still chooses Hyundai but the justification was that the car he drove before was 0 star (no airbags) so this is certainly an upgrade. Also, the car is 90% driven in the city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks