Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2021, 14:22   #16
BHPian

Re: Keep or sell a 10 year aged 155k driven Honda Accord?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Speaking as a 2009 Accord owner, I’d say keep it. There’s very little resale value and to get the same space/power/reliability in a new car you’re looking at 50L minimum. My car has also served for 12 years with zero issues till date (except a leaking hydraulic steering pump), hell I’m still on my original brake rotors.

Side note: Go through your owners manual and check the interval for the hydraulic steering fluid, now check your service bills to confirm the flushes have been done on time, chances are your dealer too hasn’t bothered changing it on time. As fluid gets old it gets contaminated and begins to eat away at the pump seals and you end up with a leaking pump eventually.
Thanks for the heads-up. Appreciate it.

Yes, I agree that there is nothing which comes close in terms of space and reliability. Well there would be more powerful cars now thanks to turbos etc. but nothing in the market can touch the reliability quotient of the Accord. Space-wise, to get something similar you are looking at the E LWD which is well beyond 75.xx lacs on road. The 5 and A6 are no match in terms of space. The Accord has really spoilt us and we intend keeping it for the next 4 years for sure i.e. a total age of 15 years for sure.
BHPjunkie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 16:02   #17
BHPian

Hi Folks,

There has been a major update. We got the vehicle repaired after the accident incident that occurred in our compound. However last week the air conditioning stopped working and the vehicle was sent to Honda. The compressor had knocked off and the AC clutch coil needed replacement. Also one of the fan blower was not working. Since some time there was a 'tak tak' noise whilst turning which turned out to be a issue with the steering rack and axle. Further the right rear caliper was not working and all suspension link rods needed replacement.

Honda are repairing the parts that can be repaired, however the clutch coil cannot be repaired and costs approx. INR 25,000. Total bill for all the works is close to 1 lac.

My mother who primarily uses the vehicle has decided to get a new ride for herself.

The criteria

1. Budget below 50 lacs
2. Has to be a sedan, she is not a fan of SUV/MUVs and is hell bent on a sedan
3. Preferably diesel as she does close to 100 kms a day
4. The vehicle needs to be robust as it will see abuse during monsoons and may even need to cross flooded streets

Considering the above (diesel mostly) only the entry level Germans fit the bill. Would have loved the Superb (in diesel) or the Passat or even the new Octavia in diesel again.

But considering these are not on sale now what do you guys suggest? Also I am not confident driving any of the above cars mentioned on a flooded street during monsoons.

Also apart from the new car dilemma, should we consider to retain the Accord for city duties?
Old 14th March 2022, 16:28   #18
BHPian

First off, all I’ll say is avoid the dealership (goes for all brands not just Honda) as they have heavily inflated prices to cover their cost of operation. Have a trusted mechanic, I’m sure you’ll find one by going though the city specific team bhp directory.

I’ll give you my own example, just last month had some major maintenance work done on my Accord: oil + oil filter + air filter + cabin air filter + new brake pads + AC evaporator coil replaced + spark plugs changed + repaired a leak in the hydraulic steering rack + changed hydraulic fluid + changed brake fluid. All using oem parts and fluids. I paid 49k (almost 90% of which was parts as I only use oem) you can imagine what the dealer would’ve quoted for all this.

Even if you stick with the dealer and pay 1L+ it’s peanuts compared to replacing the vehicle entirely, still if you do go ahead I’d say get the Camry Hybrid it’ll be as fuel efficient as the diesels and will have much better nvh, battery is backed by a long warranty as well. Water wading no sedan really is designed for it, having said that I’ve been in deep water with the accord that almost reached the bonnet height and still made it through without any damage. Cheers.

Last edited by AJ56 : 14th March 2022 at 16:29.
AJ56 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 17:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Water wading no sedan really is designed for it, having said that I’ve been in deep water with the accord that almost reached the bonnet height and still made it through without any damage. Cheers.
Thanks @AJ56. I agree sedans are not for water wading, but the Germans are extremely sensitive. I am talking about a situation where a 100-200 meter distance needs to be crossed with water up to the bottom edge of the bumper. We have done that multiple times in the Accord without any issue. But we wouldn't dare to do that with our 520D. Camry is a great option but with the battery at the base I will always be worried about it during the monsoons.

The vehicle will travel from South Mumbai to Powai everyday and during rains it's unpredictable where we may encounter a small flooded patch of road.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th September 2022 at 08:04. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 14th March 2022, 17:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPjunkie View Post
I am talking about a situation where a 100-200 meter distance needs to be crossed with water up to the bottom edge of the bumper. We have done that multiple times in the Accord without any issue. But we wouldn't dare to do that with our 520D. Camry is a great option but with the battery at the base I will always be worried about it during the monsoons.
Batteries are housed in waterproof compartments, there are numerous Tesla videos on YouTube showing the water wading potential. But to be sure, check specifically for Camry.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th September 2022 at 08:03. Reason: Trimming quote and a minor edit.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 18:31   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Batteries are housed in waterproof compartments, there are numerous Tesla vids on YouTube showing the water wading potential. But to be sure, check specifically for Camry.
You're right. Moreover, the extent of waterproof-ness (is that even a word?) is marketed with an IP rating. The below random article tells me that EVs come with an IP67 rating.

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...0any%20leakage.

Excerpt from the article:
Quote:
Modern-day Electric vehicle batteries have an IP67 rating. This is quite adequate as anything past IP67 is used generally for specialized equipment such a submarine, etc. An IP67 rating allows you to submerge the vehicle in water up to a meter in height for up to 30 mins without any leakage.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 18:44   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Batteries are housed in waterproof compartments, .
Is this applicable for an IC car too ?

Batteries of an EV - yes, they are IP67 rated.
Old 14th March 2022, 18:54   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I assumed that they're talking about the hybrid Camry's battery. And so, one wonders if hybrid car batteries are IP67 rated as well.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 19:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Batteries of an EV - yes, they are IP67 rated.
No they are in the engine bay or boot traditionally, it’s weatherproof as in rain won’t get in but not waterproof.
Old 14th March 2022, 20:21   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No they are in the engine bay or boot traditionally, it’s weatherproof as in rain won’t get in but not waterproof.
You posted this when talking about IC car's:
Quote:
Batteries are housed in waterproof compartments, ...
That was the reason to ask

I had a 2001 model year V6 Accord 3.0 back in 2000.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 20:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
You posted this when talking about IC car's:

That was the reason to ask

I had a 2001 model year V6 Accord 3.0 back in 2000.
Technically it’s neither IC nor an EV, it’s a hybrid
Although I’d assume it would be waterproof as it’s a lithium cell similar to ones found in full EV’s. Unlike the lead acid or AGM type cells one would see in conventional IC cars.

Last edited by AJ56 : 14th March 2022 at 20:50.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 12:32   #27
BHPian

I am sure EVs do have a rating. I remember the Nexon EV launch where they drove it through water flooded patch. However will have to enquire for the Camry specifically.
Old 27th March 2022, 17:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPjunkie View Post
But considering these are not on sale now what do you guys suggest? Also I am not confident driving any of the above cars mentioned on a flooded street during monsoons.
A sedan that can handle floods. Tough one.

I can't think of any diesel sedans under 50L that an Accord owner can move to. Is the Elantra still on sale?

Considering the car would run 100 km per day, and might go for a swim occasionally, you should reconsider your position on SUVs.

Infact, you should consider a diesel Toyota Crysta with captain seats for the middle row. It's a no-nonsense vehicle. Admittedly, it might seem like a bit of a downgrade from an Accord, and the clatter might seem a bit more pronounced coming from the refined petrol motor of the Accord, but if you look past that, it's a flexible and practical vehicle.

Other alternatives you might want to consider:
  1. Kia Carnival. If the Innova is too unrefined for you.
  2. MG ZS EV. Your running cost would substantially decrease.
  3. Hyundai Tucson.
  4. Citroen C5 Aircross. This could be your wildcard entry. It's got a diesel, and I hear the ride quality is exceptional. Overall extremely comfortable
Camry hybrid might not be more efficient than a non-hybrid Camry on the highways. The hybrid advantage is more evident when you're going through city traffic. On the highway, the petrol motor would end up having the additional burden of pulling the extra weight of the hybrid hardware.

If you're looking for a sedan, look into where the air intake is mounted, because based on my understanding this is what kills an engine during floods. On some cars it's mounted higher up, and on some other cars it's at the bottom. You want to avoid vehicles where the air intake is at the bottom.
voldemort is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 12:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
A sedan that can handle floods. Tough one.

Infact, you should consider a diesel Toyota Crysta with captain seats for the middle row. It's a no-nonsense vehicle. Admittedly, it might seem like a bit of a downgrade from an Accord, and the clatter might seem a bit more pronounced coming from the refined petrol motor of the Accord, but if you look past that, it's a flexible and practical vehicle.

Other alternatives you might want to consider:
  1. Kia Carnival. If the Innova is too unrefined for you.
  2. MG ZS EV. Your running cost would substantially decrease.
  3. Hyundai Tucson.
  4. Citroen C5 Aircross. This could be your wildcard entry. It's got a diesel, and I hear the ride quality is exceptional. Overall extremely comfortable
Well it's the same thing I have been telling my Mother, to go in for the Innova Z variant and keep peace for the next 15 years. Hopefully she agrees.

From your list of alternatives, we are considering the Carnival. C5 Aircross has got great reviews but Citroen is fairly new in the market and reliability isn't tested. We are additionally also looking at the Harrier. But except for the Carnival all others are frankly a downgrade.

Let's see what we land up with, will keep everyone posted on what we finally settle for.

As of now the Accord is back and performing it's duties as expected.
BHPjunkie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 00:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Curious what you did with the Accord. In my case I have a 2011 Accord too - though an Automatic that has done 148,000 kms. I plan to keep it for the cull 15 years as I dont see any alternative vehicles that offer the same space. I also have a 2012 Automatic Sonata and an Innova but the space on offer in accord is intoxicating.
Once you sit in this car the space you get is addictive.
Maybe a carnival will have similar space..I know the Innova feels a bit like a hatchback once I drive it after having a spin in the accord. (4.5 vs 4.9 meter length and 1.7 vs 1.8 m width do feel different)
I have done a few important upgrades too - got the cracked leather repaired, changed to white LEDs inside and headlamps. These make a ton of a difference.
Finally got the mats upgraded with these as that made a big difference to the look inside.
try these and the car will look and feel very different
Buffetfan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks