Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2021, 03:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Nexon vs. Mahindra XUV300 vs. Kia Sonet | Which car should I get for 15 Lakhs?

Seems like heart says Nexon whereas mind says Sonet, especially when it comes to safety.

Going by your post, it seems like the Nexon you TD'ed was not in good shape. Please try a TD in a different showroom and it doesn't hurt to ask for the variant of choice.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 10:58   #17
BHPian

re: Tata Nexon vs. Mahindra XUV300 vs. Kia Sonet | Which car should I get for 15 Lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenPai_GTi View Post
Well, that is true. The 1.5L Nexon diesel at my native place gives an astonishing figure.

Just make sure that you thoroughly inspect the mechanics of the vehicle. Also you should have a good ASS near you.
Thanks for sharing that! From other threads, it seems that the MID generally shows 3-4km more than the actual average by Tank-to-Tank. But even then, a 23-24kmpl efficiency is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynike99 View Post
But somehow after multiple TDs, I could find some fault with all the TD cars. Some niggle/Ergonomic issues etc used to crop up every time, whereas Creta/Kia were pretty consistent throughout.
I have driven the older Nexon (BS4 models) via Zoomcar for a couple of long drives and I felt the same. The driver seat is great but overall ergonomics isn't that good. However, the Sonet made me feel comfortable with everything in the cabin being intuitive. It may be nitpicking and is probably something that one will get used to. But based on the limited TD, I agree that the experience sitting in the Sonet was far superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
What I recommend you to do is check out the Honda WR-V iDtec VX. It matches all the requirements that you have stated.

You also get tons of space, Honda reliability and very good dynamics in addition to your list.
This is an awesome suggestion. Thanks for sharing. I seem to have somehow ignored this option. I guess it is down to the fact that I earlier started my shortlist with Diesel+Auto combo (before I moved to Diesel+Manual) and this didn't come in the list and somehow I assumed the only options left in the CSUV segment were Nexon/Sonet.

The lack of rear AC vent will be sorely missed though. However, we'll see how it turns out overall. I'm also assuming since the WR-V isn't moving in numbers, we may be able to get it quicker.

In terms of performance figures though, it's a bummer on paper. Losing out on both horsepower and torque seems like a bit of an additional miss (compared to Nexon/Sonet), however as long as the car can keep me going as per my requirement, I don't think it'll do anything more than robbing me of some bragging rights (which I can live with )

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The thing is, if you go for the Nexon, you will keep thinking about the well rounded Sonet which you let go for better safety whereas if you go for Sonet, you will keep thinking about its dubious safety ratings and Nexon's 5 star rating. Both the thoughts are sure to make you uncomfortable. Ultimately, it is you who has to decide which option will make you more comfortable/satisfied.

My pick would be the Sonet for its superior engine and gearbox combo with the extra features and a better cabin being a cherry on top.
Agreed. Which is why I wanted to know how BHPians would consider the trade offs on this objectively. My wife however is clear in her head that the Sonet is the better car, so there is one vote going in strong for the Sonet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Seems like heart says Nexon whereas mind says Sonet, especially when it comes to safety.
Couldn't have put this better. And it's a trade off that seems a little unfair. Why are we Indian customers put through such an agony? Can't find a car that one can feel safe and comfortable. And even if you can, the rising fuel prices make you question "what is even the point of getting a car?".

But we are emotional beings. I grew up reading Autocar and Overdrive since I was 10 years old. Owning a car is a dream and as a child I didn't know what compromises were. But now have to deal with this reality.
krishnakumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 01:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
But we are emotional beings. I grew up reading Autocar and Overdrive since I was 10 years old. Owning a car is a dream and as a child I didn't know what compromises were. But now have to deal with this reality.
Hi Krishnakumar,
When I got the Nexon it was primarily for 2 of us and safety was a key point of consideration. The core engineering cannot he changed, features and all can be added or one will live without it. Most of the features will not be remembered 1 year into ownership.

Another point is Nexon's music system was awesome.

I haven't driven the Sonet but I don't trust the Koreans much. They offer a lot of bling and reduced focus on engineering. We have seen that with Creta braking issue, paint quality issue, seltos crash rating etc.

The only issue I have with Nexon is a rattle from c pillar which is annoying and present since more than a year. Honestly I have not gone to service center to close this owing to Covid.

I don't think from ownership point you can go wrong with any car, just that Nexon feels more robustly built. Also Nexon being older platform most of the issues are ironed out.

Again if it is AT nexon does not make much sense a proper AT is better than AMT

Last edited by aniyo : 12th October 2021 at 01:49.
aniyo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 08:05   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, Tatas wasn't far behind either tbh. Because of the chip shortage (and the fact that Nexon is the most selling CSUV), they are playing very hard. No discounts, no accessories or anything. I had to call 3 different showrooms and follow up for a week to get a single test drive of Nexon and that too the vehicle I got as explained in the post was due for servicing with multiple parts at end of life. But at least he was ready to match the insurance while Kia guy flat out refused for matching the insurance as well.
KIA's order backlog is 3 times that of Tata Motors. Semi conductor shortage is the reason.

As for the car itself , I think you should listen to your wife and avoid the 'I told you so' later.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 10:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians!

I'm looking for a car at ~15L (max 16L) OTR for my first car ownership. While I'm new to car ownership, I've been driving cars for 10+ years now and have driven a variety of cars during this period.

Requirements

The one-line requirement goes as this: "a car that'll get us around comfortably on highways and broken roads for long road trips and weekend mall crawls with occasional city usage".

The car will be primarily used by me and my wife (and hopefully a future dog) most of the time. However, we'll have our siblings and parents visit us 2-3 times a year. Hence, rear seat comfort, while not critical, is not to be ignored completely. I'm also expecting an annual mileage of 15,000km.

Some basic checklist features that I noted down based on above:
  1. High on safety
  2. Great highway stability
  3. High Ground Clearance - so ruling out sedans
  4. Diesel engine - to keep the fuel costs low
  5. Good practical boot size for carrying all the luggage around
  6. Few comfort features that support highway usage like - Cruise control, practical cabin for storage of phone, bottles etc.

The Shortlist

The current cars under consideration are (in the order of priority):
  1. Tata Nexon 1.5D XZ+(S)
  2. Kia Sonet GTX Plus 1.5D
A close friend of my was in the same dilemma last month. He was looking to buy a CSUV with a max budget set aside of INR 15 lacs. He fell in love with the Nexon Dark Edition but like you said "the Sonet is a clear winner in terms of comfort, whereas the Nexon is a likely winner in terms of safety".

The reason he chose the Nexon was:

- The 5 star safety
- Nexon feels better built
- Nexon is surely larger and seats 3 in the rear comfortably

The Sonet trumps the below parameters:

- Better features, like ventilated seats, led lamps
- TC auto box compared to AMT in the Nexon.
- Better performance

At the end of the day is a good problem to have selecting between the two. Both are very accomplished products and TATA has surely upped its game in the last few years.
BHPjunkie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 10:14   #21
BHPian

I am a current Tata Tigor Diesel owner and have driven a colleagues Nexon Diesel quite a few times over the last 3 years, I would say go for the Sonet. At the end after 2-3 years down the line Tata diesel engines will become grumpy(engine noise, lackof refinement, diesel clatter increase) and the service center guys will have no clue how to fix it. Eventually it is all about driving experience, here the cabin ambience, outside noise, engine noise, and the ride feel, play an important role and here Nexon can never match Sonet. I own a Tigor it is serving me well no issues no niggles save for some harshness of engine and choppyness in suspension. I always feel if only I would have gone for that sweet Aspire Diesel how would have it been after 60k km of usage.
One thing is for sure Tata cars can never match the refinement and ownership experience in the long run as that of Hyundai and maybe Kia cars too, maybe the Altroz and Punch may change it. So go straight for the Kia! First 1-2 years of usage you might never feel the difference in either cars with reference to what I have mentioned above, but Believe me 3rd to 5th year Sonet will surely be a better place to be in than the Nexon.
ArTigor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 10:35   #22
BHPian

As an Owner of Nexon, I have had a good experience in the car. I have a petrol automatic one but let me tell you the Nexon is a clear winner when it comes to rear space, ride comfort and Handling. IMO The Nexon is a good handler than Sonet and it is only a tad below of the Ecosport. We dropped of Sonet from the list because of the rear seat space, safety and the sales reps were also not that much welcoming. Tata's Diesel engines are workhorses and here in Kerala we have a 7 lack Km done Indica. The TASS here in Kerala are also growing their reputation. The only problems that I am facing are the lack of rear reading lamps, a slight amount of Bodyroll etc.
IMHO you should take another round of TD in a relatively New Car. If you want an Automatic, the Sonet wins hands down. IIRC Sonet also shares the same platform as that of Seltos and I don't think it would be as safe as Nexon. And IMO Nexon's fabric seats are magical in the long drives and the AC is also a chiller. It has the best under thigh supported Seats in its segment and is miles ahead of Sonet in the rear space aspect. My heart voted for Nexon but my Mind had a little favour towards Sonet also which was eliminated by a bad customer interaction.
Anyway Best Wishes for your Purchase and keep as posted
DevSunit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 10:40   #23
BHPian

I would say give the Nexon another TD as in the diesel guise it is a very solid performer. But the only caveat with the Nexon or any other Tata vehicle is the ASS. So if you go for the Nexon make sure there is at least one good Tata ASS in your city just for the sake of fuss-free ownership.
As for the Sonet, it is a superior car to Nexon in terms of interior feel and ergonomics and if you plan to go for it then I also suggest looking at Hyundai Venue as it is almost the same car plus Hyundai has much wider and mature service network.

Finally, for city driving, Sonet and Nexon are equally competent but on the highway and bad roads, it will be the Nexon where you will be more comfortable.
AROO7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 10:41   #24
BHPian

If you are fine with the usual tata niggles and the poor after sales service go ahead with Nexon else try the sonet ( safety is a concern though). Our Nexon is turning 4 in the coming February and sadly the Tass was so horrible that I've been using service from a local garage since 3 rd service.
JJ1991 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 11:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Oh man, I can imagine the situation you are in.

The only positive for the Nexon here is safety and it is too important to ignore. I honestly feel the Nexon diesel is overpriced for what it offers and while it has good power, refinement is not the best,especially compared to the Koreans.

The Sonet is a great package, but there are the body structure images on the forum which show the Sonet with '0' use of UHSS (Ultra High Strength Steel). The Seltos has a little bit of UHSS re-inforcement at the footwell areas and even that barely managed 3*. If those images are right, the Sonet will be a 2* car at best.

As a package I actually like the XUV300 better. Do give it another look as it has the best balance of a lovely engine and is a 5 star crash rated car. The rear AC vent in most cars is more of a gimmick as very few have separate blower units for the rear. If the AC is good it should cool the cabin very well. Rear passengers in my Ecosport have never complained about the AC despite the lack of rear vents. The main deal breaker with the XUV 300 is that excuse of a boot which does not have a fix other than using the rear seats for luggage depending on your use case.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 12:18   #26
BHPian

As a Nexon owner, just giving my views:

The positives:
The drive modes help with mileage in the city as the Eco mode is enough for the city commute and the lower number of horses are adequate for the commutes, the FE is also decent despite the bumper to bumper city traffic.

The Sport mode will put a smile on your face on the highways as it unleashes all the horses and the bump in power makes high way runs enjoyable.

The safety aspect of Tata is now becoming a bench mark and is now becoming a minimum requirement for other makers.

The VFM of Tata, more for the same price when compared to the competition. At the time of purchase (3 years ago) the options were lesser and so Nexon scored higher.

The negatives:
Tata were masters in space utilization from the Indica days and the roominess of the cabins were unparalleled till the Nexon. The back seat can be a little uncomfortable for 3 and this caught me by surprise, when I did my TD i took it as a given having bought 2 Tata products earlier but i realized later that its best for 2.

The raised GC makes ingress and egress difficult in the rear, especially for elderly. The in-laws are not happy getting in and out of the Nexon. The sweeping roof line is also lower than expected and six footer plus people may feel that they are constrained. I usually sit at the lowest in the driver seat.

The service of Tata is a lottery. You need to know people in the ASC to ensure that you get good service or take your chances.

Do test both cars, best wishes.
Old 12th October 2021, 13:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

I would see it this way, while reliability, refinement, after sales service is something that can be dealt as it comes, safety is something that we need everyday, every second of life for the loved ones we ferry around. What does reliability, refinement be without us being safe, isn’t it? I understand you’re putting in big hard earned million rupees and you deserve the best. Can I also suggest to check out some good examples from the pre-owned route? I see quite a lot of good Jeep Compass cars - big on engine, big on car, big on safety too - but just a suggestion.

It’s not that all the customers who buy Tata face issues, albeit the percentage is a fair bit, it does depend on luck which you can bet on. But, safety is something that you can’t bet / even take slightest of chance, considering how safe our roads currently are, not because of the vehicles out there that makes it unsafe. It’s the accessibility (affordability) to vehicles to all age groups (especially the younger ones) is what making it reckless and unsafe out there. (Slightly off topic but a necessary one)

Therefore, my pick would be Nexon

Last edited by gururajrv : 12th October 2021 at 13:17.
gururajrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 13:19   #28
BHPian

I had to choose between the Nexon and the Sonet when I was considering a buy last year and I chose the Sonet. The clincher for me was I was interested in an auto petrol and the DCT beat the AMT hands down.

If I were looking at manual options, I would absolutely choose the Nexon. It is a solid car. Great to drive, great to be in.

As for turbo petrol mileage, I have managed to obtain 24 kmpl (Tank to Tank) on highway drives in my Sonet. So it's not all bad.

Since you're keen on Diesel manual, I would suggest the Nexon. Although, if your wife prefers the Sonet, it would be wiser to keep her happy!
Coyote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 13:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Tough choice as I see it with a keen annual usage of atleast 15k kms, you do require a diesel but there are issues with all the cars mentioned. The Kia is not a crash safe vehicle, the Nexon suffers from being a Tata, the Mahindra seems good to me apart from the issues you have mentioned regarding bootspace.

Considering the recent lockdowns, it might be the perfect time to look for a lightly used 2019 diesel S-Cross. Service history should be easy to match up, and considering the pandemic, it ought to be easy to find a car with low miles on it being essentially brand new you will also end up saving a lot of money which you can then use to fuel your road-trips and perhaps add a few bits and bobs
Old 12th October 2021, 13:59   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
The core engineering cannot he changed (...) Koreans offer a lot of bling and reduced focus on engineering. We have seen that with Creta braking issue, paint quality issue, seltos crash rating etc.

Nexon feels more robustly built. Also Nexon being older platform most of the issues are ironed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSunit View Post
As an Owner of Nexon, I have had a good experience in the car (...) let me tell you the Nexon is a clear winner when it comes to rear space, ride comfort and Handling.

And IMO Nexon's fabric seats are magical in the long drives and the AC is also a chiller. It has the best under thigh supported Seats in its segment and is miles ahead of Sonet in the rear space aspect.
Thank you both for sharing your views!

@DevSunit - How is the maintenance of Nexon's fabric seats? Is it a headache? This was a big concern raised by my wife as the car we sat in was quite dirty and it looks like within a few years, it'll be difficult to keep it clean because of the fabric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROO7 View Post
So if you go for the Nexon make sure there is at least one good Tata ASS in your city just for the sake of fuss-free ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1991 View Post
Our Nexon is turning 4 in the coming February and sadly the Tass was so horrible that I've been using service from a local garage since 3 rd service.
Oh man. The nightmare on Tata cars strikes.

Can someone please point me to a Tata dealer/service center in Bangalore that has given you a positive experience? If you have a specific service advisor who has been reliable, requesting you to kindly let me know so that I can DM you.

For my test drive, I have been in touch with 3 dealers and the experience hasn't been all too great!
  1. Key Motors Mysore Road - SA was responsive but still couldn't manage to get me a TD before the vehicle got into an accident (not sure if true).
  2. KHT Motors Brookefield - SA was not that responsive and brought the car which we took the TD on. However, this car as per him was due service and was just not in good condition.
  3. Prerna Motors Lalbagh Road - Called the dealer thrice, but seems the SA is not interested in selling anything. Don't understand why the dealer assures that the SA would call back but I haven't received one call from them.

Oh, and I did try calling a few others. Either their numbers are not in service anymore or they just didn't bother to call back (most of the numbers go into an IVR and say they'll call back)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTigor View Post
First 1-2 years of usage you might never feel the difference in either cars with reference to what I have mentioned above, but Believe me 3rd to 5th year Sonet will surely be a better place to be in than the Nexon.
These are very critical anecdotes and points for us to consider. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I think you should listen to your wife and avoid the 'I told you so' later.
As a newly wed, I missed considering this factor. Very important advice!

Jokes aside, tbh both of us are kinda split on this. While my wife's heart rests on Sonet for the looks and interiors, her mind is saying Nexon for its safety. And for me, heart says Nexon for its superior mechanical fundamentals but mind says Sonet for its overall driving comfort.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 12th October 2021 at 14:03. Reason: formatting and typos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks