Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2022, 13:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Small, used beater car for a large man

Thanks to everyone who pointed out the parking in neutral issue on non AMTs. So that leaves only AMTs in the contention. Ignis & i10 NIOS will be my picks in AMT. S-presso, Santro may be 1 size too smaller. A previous gen top variant Celerio also could be a good option, but I will still stick with the Ignis & NIOS for their smooth 4 cylinder engines as the OP has no hard & fast budget constraint.

Tigor EV I believe will fail the size criteria.
AkMar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 13:21   #17
KPR
BANNED

Why not a S Presso AMT or used Alto K10 AMT (stopped recently by MS)? You can install a good 2 din setup from JVC, Sony types. Nothing can beat compact dimensions of these cars.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 13:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Jazz cannot be parked in Neutral. The Jazz we have is a 2021 model, you cannot take the key out unless the car is in P. And it cannot be pushed around when in P.
Thanks, remember reading it but forgot about it
Your point reaffirms yet again the importance of testing out the scenarios for each car.

Cars aside IMO the OP's first step would be see if in the target driving conditions, how will the AMTs work for each car(reports vary across cars) as the headnod could be an irritant in city traffic.

So a well tuned AMT/AT with the "push to park" feature is quite a novel requirement

Last edited by shancz : 9th February 2022 at 13:24. Reason: formatting
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 14:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
You will have to make do with an AMT. A proper automatic will not lock unless it is in Park. And if the car is in P, it can’t be pushed around.
Thanks for this useful info. Never knew this. Something new learned today.
I think if OP is limited to AMTs due to this, Celerio would be good fit from parking point of view. Though I'm not sure whether driver seat will be comfortable for this tall frame. Sold quite many and still is in production - so spares availability shouldn't be a concern in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Hello BHPians,

I need to replace my ageing and troublesome 2008 Honda City CVT, which I use as a beater car for the 5 KM commute from home to office. My office is one of the Govt. of India buildings in Central Secretariat - full of monkeys and short on parking. Cars are parked in neutral and pushed around to fit. That's why I don't get my Creta 2020 to work.

My requirements are as follows:
The part I have highlighted in bold. Is it a joke about babus? Or are you really referring to simians?
srvm is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 14:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Am 179 Cms, 98 Kgs, use a Nano XTA as my beater car. Its an AMT, <snip> Methinks you shall end up keeping her.
Can vouch for the practicality of this unsung marvel. If one can find the right model as a beater car, guess (s)he will fall in love with this little bug.

I'm 182cm/90kg and never faced any issues using the Nano - infact so much so that for any solo trips needing anything more than a bike, I prefer Nano to my primary drive - Ecosport.

Though originally purchased for the missus, now I'm the primary user of her Nano too. It's a breeze to negotiate through the haphazard traffic + pathetic excuses which are also called roads in Bengaluru.

Mine isn't auto, it's a manual - but guess OP could scout for an auto in the used car market. But the criteria OP mentioned - ability to push around - does this work with auto models!?
KrisTvpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 15:27   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to be of little help. These are my suggestions, especially for the 90s era parking situation.

1. Tata Nano
2. Maruti Spresso
3. Maruti WagonR
4. Maruti Ignis

And as a non serious recommendation, like @greenhorn said. Check out the 6 seater KUV100.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 15:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
guess OP could scout for an auto in the used car market. But the criteria OP mentioned - ability to push around - does this work with auto models!?
Can confirm Nano AMT is eminently push-able and "dhakka-start" able. Had a flat battery and 4 Mumbai cops (God bless them) pushed Jerry until he started and chugged along to take me home!
Ferruccio is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 17:42   #23
BHPian

Thanks so much guys, for your valuable inputs. However, a basic question that emerges is if CVTs cannot be locked in N then how does my Honda City lock just fine?

Is it a thing among newer CVTs/TCs? If yes, then I am happy enough with an older Jazz or Amaze. If no, which doesn't make sense because I have just done so on my Honda City 2008, then and only then would I go for an AMT.

Can folks with older CVTs/TCs shed some light? I am happy enough with something from 2015/16 (newer is better if they can be parked in N)

Oh and yes, the monkeys are for real. Central Delhi has a huge monkey problem with thousands of monkeys having taken over the huge Govt. office around Central Secretariat and even the back-lanes of the office district in Connaught Place. They seemed to have moved here from the large forest area around the southern ridge, which is a part of the Aravalli range.

The issue was somewhat bought under control with Langoors during the Congress period. Rumour goes that a monkey yanked then Finance Minister PC's lungi/veshti. Obviously, given the present Govt., nobody's keen on being seen as Anti-monkey. Plus, animal-rights activist turned MPs also stopped the unethical treatment of Langoors in chasing the monkeys away.

The monkeys come because most of Sarkaari employees feed them leftover rotis, Bananas etc. either out of religious beliefs or as waste disposal. They are a curse for all car lovers, as they dent roofs and bonnets by jumping on them, poop and pee on the cars.
iamitp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 18:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much guys, for your valuable inputs. However, a basic question that emerges is if CVTs cannot be locked in N then how does my Honda City lock just fine?

Is it a thing among newer CVTs/TCs? If yes, then I am happy enough with an older Jazz or Amaze. If no, which doesn't make sense because I have just done so on my Honda City 2008, then and only then would I go for an AMT.

Can folks with older CVTs/TCs shed some light? I am happy enough with something from 2015/16 (newer is better if they can be parked in N)
I have a 2013 Amaze with the 5 speed torque converter and the key doesn’t come out in N, you have to shift to P to take the key out of the ignition. Can’t say about newer ones.

There is a way to lock it with the key in though, simply close the door and use your spare key. I have even tested this with the engine running, locks just fine with the second key. Note: if the spare key is in the ignition the main key will still need to be inserted manually in the door as the remote lock/unlock won’t work.

This is not recommended unless you’re in a very secure location as leaving your key inside the vehicle after locking it makes stealing it orders of magnitude easier.

If your City is mechanically fine I’d say continue using it, the difference in length between a City and Amaze isn’t much. Cheers.

Last edited by AJ56 : 9th February 2022 at 18:16.
AJ56 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 02:16   #25
BHPian

Get the Grand i10 (IA/BA generation from 2013 onwards: link)

I am 193cm tall and around 98kg and I sit very comfortably in it. Infact, I drove 43000kms in it in 1 year and it is a very comfortable car.
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 11:29   #26
BHPian

Assuming older CVTs/TCs can be pushed around (2015 older) - then Grand i10 does seem like a good choice. Can anyone confirm pushabilty of the Brio?

NOTE to Mods: Can you please edit the title and add 'Pushable' or 'AT parked in N' ? Given the parking situation in major Indian cities - this would benefit a lot of BHPians/ Car buyers.

Last edited by iamitp : 10th February 2022 at 11:31.
Old 11th February 2022, 10:45   #27
BHPian

Hey buddy!

I was in the same boat a while back - large 120+kg 6 foot 1 inch male looking for a small comfortable auto hatch.

I went through all the options suggested here -Brio, Grand i10, Santro etc. I was not in favor of AMT, but kept an open mind

Considering all the options, I finally decided to buy a new Tiago AMT. It will suit your requirements of being small, comfortable, automatic which can be pushed around, low maintenance, android auto & auto folding mirrors.

My reasons for choosing the Tiago:
- Well built
- Safety factor
- Comfortable, spacious & easy to get in and out of
- Mileage should be better than TC box's
- new car, all used examples were really old
- Harman audio system with android auto & Apple car play
- Spacious boot for a hatch
- Looks - in white, it's a looker!
- loved the handling and the brakes during the test drive.

Reasons against other cars:
- i10 Nios / Grand i10 / Santro - safety was a concern. Hyundai's super arrogant sales folks helped me decide against this. They wouldn't budge from the quoted 45K+ insurance and would not let me get insurance from outside. Arrogant buggers. Another issue with the old Grand i10 AT (my brother has one) is the low mileage. He is a very calm driver and gets hardly 7kmpl. Yikes.
- Brio - couldn't find a good used AT example, all the ones I could find were badly worn out or abused.
- Ignis - my wife and I literally broke our backs after a test drive near home, on roads we frequent. Agree, the TD car could be in a bad condition, but the risk of having our car be this bad put us off immediately.
- Swift AMT - this was pure mind over heart. Being a previous swift owner (god I miss that ride), I was very tempted to get a new one. But, I couldn't live with the safety rating and decided against this.
- Tigor - no need for the boot
- Punch - too big for the wife, she wanted a small hatch to drive
- SPresso/Celerio/WagonR - all rejected due to safety concerns of those tin cans. S Presso was outright rejected for the looks and space. WagonR, though spacious, wasn't to our tastes either.
- KWID - test drove it, liked it, but the interiors were too cramped. I was not comfortable.
- Nano - My sister has one, and I really love the car. Couldn't find a good example and that noise exhaust note is terrible from outside (sounds like a race car from inside though!)

The car has grown on me big time, and it is super fun to drive, even with the AMT. It handles really well, is small to squeeze through gaps and is peppy.
My regular drive is a 2.0TSI Skoda Superb, but I still struggle to choose between the two cars for city run abouts!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by DDiSLover : 11th February 2022 at 10:47. Reason: added more details
DDiSLover is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 12:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

My suggestions to the OP, in order of preference would be -
  • Tata Punch
  • Maruti Ignis
  • Maruti Wagon-R 1.2
  • Maruti S-Presso (surprise entry)
  • Hyundai Santro

All these cars have an easy ingress-egress, and reasonably high seating position, will be extremely comfortable and chuckable for those short city drives. If budget is a constraint, barring the Punch, rest all should be available in plenty in the used car market.

All the best
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 12:26   #29
BHPian

1. Maruti Baleno CVT / Toyota Glanza CVT: The Great Khali drives one, so I think it'll be fine for you as well.
  2. Honda Amaze CVT: Seems a perfect fit for your use. Test drive one to see how your dimensions fit.
  3. Ford Figo / Aspire 1.5 AT: These are extremely rare, but now very cheap as well. Also, they are reliable and have a Torque Converter unit, which I feel is superior to CVTs.
  4. Ford Ecosport 1.5 AT: Much of the same reasons as above, but this offers a better seating position.
Big Smoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 13:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,

I need to replace my ageing and troublesome 2008 Honda City CVT, which I use as a beater car for the 5 KM commute from home to office. My office is one of the Govt. of India buildings in Central Secretariat - full of monkeys and short on parking. Cars are parked in neutral and pushed around to fit. That's why I don't get my Creta 2020 to work.

My requirements are as follows:

1. Small dimensions - so it is easier to fit in my workplace's cramped parking space

2. Should comfortably seat me in the driving seat - I am 185 CM and 120 KGs, with a lower back issue. Backseat space and boot space is not a concern.

3. Automatic - preferably not AMT.

4. 2nd hand, DL registered.

5. Low & cheap to maintain - I want to get from home to office to home in a fuss-free and reliable manner.

6. Would be nice to have Android Auto & Auto folding mirrors.

We'll be selling off the 2008 Honda City, and I don't mind putting some more money for the right car. However, I'd like it to be as cheap as possible, while meeting the above criteria.

Looking forward to your suggestions
I would suggest a used Ford ecosport AT, the 2018 facelift.

I am as tall as you and struggled to find good ergonomics in the cars i test drove. Ecosport was an exception - very good driving position and front seats. I have been very happy with my ecosport AT from the last 4 years.

The AT is a TC unit and is very smooth. The T+ variant has all bells and whistles including AA and car Play.

The ecosport prices in the used market have dropped post Ford's exit from India. However I don't see service as a problem - ES sold in good numbers and Ford is supporting dealers so that they run service centres.
qaqa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks