Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2022, 16:15   #31
BANNED

Re: Small, used beater car for a large man

I'm using a used gen-2 Nano AMT as a beater and I kid you not, even my 5-5 tall wife now finds an Alto a compromise after experiencing the ease of ingress-egress, cabin space and ground clearance of the Nano.

For mostly single occupant, it'll suffice. Its suspension has a robust feeling and it doesn't feel like I'm abusing it even when I'm doing 60 over rough patches, where I'd drive the Beat at 20.

It has enough space to accommodate 2 six footers front and back. I'm 6-2 and I can sit behind my seating position. The AMT is so convenient that if I have some work in Delhi, then I choose it over the Beat diesel even if it means higher fuel cost and slower cruising speed on the way to Delhi. Once I get there, the convenience of not modulating the clutch gives me enough reasons to forget the above drawbacks.

It has depreciated enough that you may be able to sell it off with negligible depreciation. Or perhaps even a profit if inflation maintains its pace. I bought mine for the price of just the automatic transmission in most new cars.

If the Nano feels like too much compromise, then consider a new New Datsun Redi Go AMT. It's smaller than the Kwid and has a higher ground clearance than the Kwid.

The other option is S-Presso AMT followed by WagonR 1.2L AMT.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 11th February 2022 at 16:18.
MaheshY1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 19:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Modern ATs will not allow you to remove the key in Park. Either a defect or a missing safety feature in the cars mentioned in some posts.

I'd buy something simple like a WagonR, S-Presso AMT, or any other Maruti AMT you are comfortable in and use it for the commute. You will love the simplicity & the reliability.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 19:36   #33
BHPian

At 6'2" and weighing in the 90s with a lower back issue, I find Wagon R to be quite good for short-ish drives (say 50 kms round trip). It's not an automatic though - maybe newer models have it.
vaibhav_a_a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 20:08   #34
BHPian

Thanks a lot everyone, for your amazing inputs. I am not against AMT per se, and given the lack of clarity on whether I can park modern (compared to my 14 year old city) CVTs/TCs in N, they seem a decent choice, especially considering that my net commute will be 20-30 KM within South/Central Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
I went through all the options suggested here -Brio, Grand i10, Santro etc. I was not in favor of AMT, but kept an open mind
Appreciate your point-by-point views for almost all cars worth considering. Shall certainly try the Tiago

Also keeping the option of running my Honda City as long as possible open - its niggles are annoying but manageable.
iamitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 21:03   #35

Why not opt for a two wheeler, preferably a scooty. Would be best for a small commute. You'll reduce your carbon footprint and no issues of parking whatsoever.
Raghav_Agarwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 21:43   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn't consider myself large, but by Indian standards, yes. I range from 95 kg to 120 kg depending on my routines, standing at 6'2 with a broad frame.

I am no stranger to small cars. I drive a lot on a daily basis too.

Currently own a kwid which I find very comfortable.

Small, used beater car for a large man-screenshot_20220211213737_facebook.jpg

I have also owned a cute little Chevy beat diesel, drove 90000 km in 3 years. It was pretty comfortable too.

Small, used beater car for a large man-screenshot_20220209164954_facebook.jpg

Wagon r / kwid / ignis / Beat are all my suggestions.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 12:13   #37
BHPian

Maruti Swift has the best front seats for the driver as well as the co passenger and coupled with a great engine transmission combo would serve your purpose really well IMHO.

Last edited by Phantom 510 : 12th February 2022 at 12:15.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 11:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_Agarwal View Post
Why not opt for a two wheeler, preferably a scooty. Would be best for a small commute. You'll reduce your carbon footprint and no issues of parking whatsoever.
I don't know how to ride a two-wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I wouldn't consider myself large, but by Indian standards, yes. I range from 95 kg to 120 kg depending on my routines, standing at 6'2 with a broad frame.
Wow, if these fit you - then they'll definitely fit me too
Old 14th February 2022, 20:47   #39
BHPian

my suggestion would be the new celerio amt, I've test driven one and the dimensions are compact enough for city runabouts while being fairly spacious on the inside. also as a newbie to automatics, I for one thought that while the amt can use some improvement(shifts were just a bit jerky- could be issues with the TD car), the engine was responsive enough and had good drivability in the city . it's backed by Maruti peace of mind too, and if you can compromise on safety a bit I think it's a good alternative. mileage quoted by the SA was 23-25, but the MID showed 17.

Tiago amt would be my second pick, although I have no prior experience in driving it, its got safety, looks and is loaded too. Tata ASC might be a hit or miss though.
Old 21st March 2022, 22:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
I was in the same boat a while back - large 120+kg 6 foot 1 inch male looking for a small comfortable auto hatch.

Considering all the options, I finally decided to buy a new Tiago AMT.
Hey that's really weird - I was out looking for a small hatch and the Tiago was in my shortlist too. but the test drive did not even happen. I sat in the car and realized that I would need to take a very upright sitting position. I am just 5'10" but am fairly wide. I prefer a somewhat laid back seating position. Even at the farthest position, My legs were still a bit uncomfortable.

To the OP, Ergonomics is a very subjective thing, so I will not rule it out on your behalf. But please do try the car out
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 16:29   #41
BHPian

Advice on used D-Max

Hello All,

I am in the market for a replacement for my second car (a 10-year-old Brio). My primary card is an Endevaour 2.2 4x2 AT. The main requirement is an AT SUV/ MUV with a decent NCAP rating and reasonable prices ( I know, that's a big joke in 2022 a ).

Something from Mahindra seemed like the easy choice, but I had some bad experiences with Mahindra back when I had a Scorpio, so a little jittery to look at anything from the house of Mahindra. I would gladly buy another Endeavour but don't want to have two Ford Endeavours.

I've circled on either Innova Crysta, Jeep Compass or D-Max V Cross. We are building a small farmhouse on a remote site, so I am attracted to the D Max V-Cross. With the 4x2 AT model at 28 Lacs, I felt I would be better off buying a used car.

I found a Dec 21 registered (Sep 21 Manufactured) D Max V Cross 4x2 Auto from a used car dealer. They are quoting 22.75L (invoice price of 28L). It seemed like a good deal, but the odometer reading of 25,000 km looks pretty high for a 7-month-old car. Just a little worried if the car would have taken much beating if it was driven on an average of 1500km every week!

I have a few questions to the experts here:

1. Would you recommend looking at a used DMax Vcross instead of buying a new one?
2. Does a 7-month-old car that has been driven 25k's make any sense?
3. Is 22.75L for a Dec 21 4x2 AT sound reasonable?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks