Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2022, 11:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Retirement car for a middle-class man

Would recommend Audi A4 40TFSI Premium. The amount of discounts the car has is just too mouthwatering to ignore. The balance between ride and comfort is just great. Had a ride in one belonging to my friend and came out really impressed. He mentions a fuel economy of 12kmpl with light foot to mild acceleration bursts. It might not be the RWD fun pack as a BMW but it ain't a slouch.
Old 10th March 2022, 13:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
45 lakhs budget, BMW or Mercedes or Jeep Compass, 2 cars in the garage. These don't sound like middle class to me. Maybe a perception gap here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
OT:

Seeing a lot of threads lately with title “middle class” where person is talking about Bmws, Audis and what not make me feel poor.

You are not alone.Came onto this thread hoping to see suggestions of Wagon-R / Amaze / Nexon and boy I was wrong. Seeking tax ememptions / goodies for middle class suddenly seems like a joke.
maheshm619 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 14:43   #18
R_R
BHPian

Many of these are similar to my requirements and conditions for my next car (close to retirement, next car will likely be my last, and would like some luxuries but only SUVs with AWD). But my budget is slightly less. And my prioritized current shortlist is:

1. Hyundai Tucson next-gen (assuming it comes in petrol+AWD)[or, in the unlikely event that it comes to India, Kia Sportage]
2. Skoda Kodiaq (now beyond my budget, so eliminated recently, but he may consider)
3. VW Tiguan (long-term reliability is a concern but if there is no other choice . . .)

Considering he is living in NCR, I am not sure why fuel-type is open. I hope he realizes that a diesel-engined car will mean he has to change cars in 10 years and that it will affect resale value. But as many here have pointed out, he may be at the very upper-end of the definition of "middle-class" and may be this is not a concern!!
R_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 16:06   #19
BHPian

Would recommed Toyota Camry hybrid. Complete peace of mind package and upmarket too.

Reasons :

1. More powerfull than a normal sedan in the segment.
2. Comfortable and plush from inside. Has good road manners too.
3. Fuel efficiency.
4. Low maintenance
5. Toyota ASS.
pram_ind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 17:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohanv View Post
I am posting this on behalf of a friend, I felt that could possibly be a predicament that many people experience when purchasing something indulgent towards the end of their years of service, so went ahead with posting this.
Given the criteria, just go ahead and grab the Skoda Kodiaq or the Tiguan while you can. Either car shall satisfy all your needs and most importantly, will be eaiser on the knee.
If I still have to narrow down, I would pick the Kodiaq given it's more comfort driven nature. However, it's overbooked and may not be easy to get your hands on. Best of luck!
Old 10th March 2022, 17:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
OT:

Seeing a lot of threads lately with title “middle class” where person is talking about Bmws, Audis and what not make me feel poor.

I think team bhp middle class standard is different than usual. A cut above the rest may be Jokes apart, I am in the same bandwagon. I would chracterize this as middleclass mindset i.e. middle class in upbringing, started from zero with relatively good education, think about family children parents, ensure that their needs - current as well as future are taken care, always think before you spend, ensure that you save more than enough for future without spending on yourself.
I would also call myself middleclass as such but waiting for Meridian and have set aside 45 L budget for next SUV. Its about time to reward yourself before it is too late

In this case I would suggest Kodiaq or upcoming Meridian.

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 10th March 2022 at 17:57.
ScorpWarp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 18:24   #22
BHPian

Like many others here, maybe my definition of middle class is a bit skewed

I would go for the Camry Hybrid. Had suggested the same to FIL with similar requirements. He ended up purchasing the Mercedes Benz C220.

Having driven both the above cars, I felt a lot more comfortable in the Camry. The space inside is generous. Below the speed of 40kmph, it is driving on the electric motor and the calmness within the cabin is next level!
Plus, being a Toyota, it has benefit of complete peace of mind too.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 20:24   #23
BHPian

What I will suggest based on my last 2 month test drives of cars in the same price bracket

Option 1: BMW 330i
Enough has been said about the 3 and why this is the car to go for if the buyer is an enthusiast and is OK to put up with the drama that comes tagged with these German beauties. If I were him and if I were in Kolkata, I would have brought it by now as I set out with a budget of 50 at the top end but even after discounts its hovering at the 54.5 mark in Bangalore. In Kolkata, he should easily get it at 47 or there about. I have never enjoyed driving a car as much as I did with the 330i.

Option 2: Camry Hybrid
If he is one with a lighter right foot, he simply cannot go wrong with this choice. Its quick, its phenomenally silent in crawling speeds and idle state, its way quieter than most others in cruising speed. I was stunned as to how quiet it was with cruise control set at 90Kmph. And when I started it, I refused to believe it was running. It was just silent. It gives a brilliant mileage even under moderate traffic conditions. Finally its a Toyota, these things are built to last. The only thing that will stop me from picking this up is that its price is way to close to 3. After discount its 52L OTR Bangalore which is just 2.5 shy of the 3.

Why I wont pick the following if I were in your friends shoes

Skoda Superb/Kodiaq
Don't get me wrong, I personally love these babies and you will find me yapping away in their respective threads as the Superb is top contender in my buy list. But too much has been said about Skoda niggles. I am not sure if he wants to put up with the hassles as they age. If he is looking at owning the car for 9+ years, he should stay away from these drama queens.

Jeep Compass
Good car, but given the budget, there are better options to choose from. This is not something that he will feel rewarded for years of hard work

What I believe your friend will pick up

The Fortuner
This is based on the big/butch/rough it out attitude as the key words you have used to describe your friends prism for looking at a ride. The Fortuner will tick all of it, and then some. It will be hassle free to own and he might feel at home having driven the boleros and campers of the world. He might even pass it down to his great grand children in the far future as the car will still be running

I wont write away the Tucson yet if I were to believe reviews from 'caranddriver' and 'top-gear uk'. It needs to be seen what we get here and how it turns out to be.

Last edited by SR-71 : 10th March 2022 at 20:26.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 21:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]Middle-Class, Middle-aged Man who is not an enthusiast. Does enjoy powerful cars, but isn't happy dealing with their temperamental maintenance tendencies[*]Has outrightly stated that his next automobile will be something European with the brand value of an Audi, Beamer and Mercedes. But the budget will permit only the very entry-level offerings.
These two points are not going well together. If he is unhappy with maintenance tendencies, Skoda is the last brand he should look at.
Old 10th March 2022, 21:26   #25
BHPian

I would also put into contention the Toyota Hilux.
  • It is a non-sedan
  • Will be easy to maintain with good support from Toyota
  • Expect it to be very reliable and last a lifetime
  • I expect them to launch it with more tech than the other Toyota's we get here
Old 10th March 2022, 21:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I45 lakhs budget, BMW or Mercedes or Jeep Compass, 2 cars in the garage. These don't sound like middle class to me. Maybe a perception gap here. I don't blame him actually because we tend to think of ourselves as we were when we were kids. .
Quote:
OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Maruti and Hyundai /Kia model ranges are all nearly quite below his budgeted amount though the gentleman is portrayed with a Rs 45 L budget as slotted in the "middle class".

But for city use and city parking, nothing beats these hatches from Maruti and Hyundai nowadays, whose buyers could be from the "lower middle class" if we go by the new normal where a Rs 45 L car can be afforded by someone who belongs to the "middle class."
Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshm619 View Post
You are not alone.Came onto this thread hoping to see suggestions of Wagon-R / Amaze / Nexon and boy I was wrong. Seeking tax ememptions / goodies for middle class suddenly seems like a joke.
Before I reply to all the other responses, let me just say, I wholly concur with the fact this may be less than perfect usage of the term middle-class. But I had my reasons, a man's steed is IMO an extension of his personality just as much as it may be a statement of his affluence/influence in life. This has been a debate that was already had on the Fortuner thread and I was only referring to the middle-class in terms of the set of values a man is guided by rather than an estimation of the depth of the man's pockets. In India, there are a great many people that have experienced wealth for the first time in generations and thus their financial decisions are guided more by a desire for security over consumerist gratification. The kind that despite having affordability barely being a consideration, prefer A.C.- 2 tier train travel over first-class flights, Japanese cars over European ones, next generation's education over this generation's indulgences; are loyalists to Bata shoes over Steve Madens, Parle G over Italian Biscotti, Amul butter over Parliament and Blender's Pride Whiskey over Glenlivet. This may be to many people's disagreement and if someone feels patronised at their financial constraints, to them I fully apologise. Equally important is to know that this is a man that bought a total of 4 cars in 40 years, not one exceeding more than 10 lakhs, hell even half that cost 50% of the time, put his children through education, so if he chooses to subscribe to a middle-class identity and lifestyle and yet chooses to indulge in one exceptional area of his life sticking to every other area of his middle-class ideologies proudly, I say let the man have it. He is not a child, in fact, I'd wager he is as informed and worldly as our most erudite co-members. Let's not mock and let's talk cars. More specifically ones well suited to the man's personality.
brohanv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 22:02   #27
BHPian

Will recommend A4 Premium or if he can wait for the new Q3 launch that will be great.

The Q3 will have Quattro I believe. Should be around 45-50 L. Not too large for city driving. Special feeling interior. If the brand is not that important, the Tiguan is almost the same kind of car.
Old 10th March 2022, 23:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... More specifically ones well suited to the man's personality.
1. VW Tiguan AWD
2. Citroen C5 Aircross
3. Jeep Compass top model with AWD.

All are very comfortable, safe and technically up to date. Build quality, fir ,
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 00:51   #29
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Wow ! 2 pages of overthought out responses to a newbie’s post .

Middle class/mindset or otherwise in India, there’s “Toyota Innova Crysta. Period”
Old 11th March 2022, 13:15   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niruvrs9669 View Post
Wow ! 2 pages of overthought out responses to a newbie’s post
I don't think the forum members differentiates on a query posted by a newbie versus a distinguished BHPian, they are all the same. The OP has a query and enthusiastic members are sharing their response. Weather they overthink or just rattle out what they have in their mind shouldn't be something of your concern, IMHO. If you have an useful response please share, if not move on to the next thread that interests you, perhaps ?

Last edited by SR-71 : 11th March 2022 at 13:28.
SR-71 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks