Wait for Kodiaq L&K 18 8.37%
Wait for 330i Sport LCI 44 20.47%
Try S60 before making a choice 10 4.65%
Just wait for 2023 hoping the production constraints will disappear 32 14.88%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2022, 19:30   #16
BHPian

Re: The 35 - 50 lakh price bracket conundrum | Which car for an enthusiast?

Thinking about it, this price bracket is simply filled with options from only the VAG family with the Fortuner being the lone exception. Of course I am giving the Alturas and Gloster a miss as they don't sell in reasonable numbers if I am not mistaken.
Old 29th March 2022, 23:28   #17
BHPian

I am in an almost similar dilemma as you but my budget is on slightly lesser side and I am open to used examples also.

330i (sport) is the way to go as one last powerful hurrah for ICE vehicles, though current unavailability of the variant is disappointing with no concrete date of its return.

Best of luck with your dilemma.
Old 30th March 2022, 00:32   #18
BHPian

I am in the same thought process but my budget was 45l. After most test drives, narrowed in onto the Tiguan. Like you said it’s 50/50. But every time I took it for a test drive couldn’t find a reason not to opt for it especially with the price hike on the Kodiaq. It suddenly started to make sense. And love the way it drove on the highway.
Have been driving a sedan for the last 7 years. If not for the Tiguan it would have been the Superb L&K.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 14:16   #19
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I would say wait for 2023 for supply constraints to ease up.
From the list of your cars, i have test driven all of them when i was in the market a few years ago and a few of them recently when we purchased a Compass this month.
If you like a sedan, there is nothing like the Superb and the Camry, I would prefer the Camry due to its reliability, the interior and the back seat comfort.
I used to like drive my cars hard earlier in my life but now I like my cars to prioritize comfort over "feeling the road", I drove all the BMS's and Audi's but bought a Volvo V90 simply because of the comfort and noiseless cabin. The lack of noise is underappreciated by most people. I used to drive a fortuner earlier and it was loud as heck, used to make me fatigued by the end of an hours drive in traffic.

So, if you have to get one now, my choice is between the Camry and the Superb, the Volvo S60 would be close too if you could get a test drive.
Cheers and good luck.
chandu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 16:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
BMW 330i Sport [OTR: 57.97L / MSport is 65.53L]
Pros:[list][*]There is only one point that makes me love this. Every time I test drove it, I had fun
The most important point that stands out in your post. IMO, your search should end here.

You want a powerful, fun-to-drive, comfortable ICE car.

Sedans > SUVs

I feel that you get less tired over long journey's in a sedan. Might be the better ride quality, or lower body roll, but Sedan's are way better long distance tourers provided you do not run into massive speed-humps.

The handling in a sedan will be better. As will pick-up, braking, and every other aspect that improves thanks to the lower weight and lower centre of gravity that a sedan provides.

Avoid the Fortuner like the plague. Ride quality is terrible, and you can feel how heavy the vehicle is when braking hard.

Your top option should indeed by the BMW 3 (or as GTO recommended, a pre-owned 5 series).
Your next best alternatives are the Skoda Laura or Skoda Superb.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 16:49   #21
BHPian

Why not a Camry Hybrid? It is Eco friendly, futuristic..

I am surely considering it as a replacement for my JC, whose AT acceleration I am not so happy with.
Bsreecharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 17:19   #22
BHPian

The BMW 330i it is... and I hear you that the Sport is not available, so why not opt for the MSport? Trust me the drool worthy kits more than make up for the increased price. On the affordability front, why not get it registered under BH so your MSport OTR is equal to the KA Sport OTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
BMW 330i Sport [OTR: 57.97L / MSport is 65.53L]
Pros:
  • There is only one point that makes me love this. Every time I test drove it, I had fun
  • BMW has been my aspirational brand since I was young, but over years the value of this has reduced. In other words I wont let this be the primary decision maker
Cons:
  • I never test drove this with any of my family members in the back but I hear it can be difficult for them
  • Not as opulent as its peers
  • 330i Sport has now become the Yeti. If it was available, I would have had my ownership thread up instead of this what car thread :-)
  • The M-Sport seems way to expensive for that additional kit which adds no mechanical value or even interior aesthetics.
  • The LWB goes out of my moral approval in what I believe I should pay for a car
  • Not much options in terms of color (interior and exterior). I would like choices if I am going to pay 60 big ones
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 17:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsreecharan View Post
Why not a Camry Hybrid? It is Eco friendly, futuristic..

I am surely considering it as a replacement for my JC, whose AT acceleration I am not so happy with.
OP is looking for a car which can satisfy the enthusiast in him, he doesn't want to be chauffeured around in a Camry
Coming to OPs query, I'd suggest wait for 2023, for supply chain to get resumed and definitely go for the BMW badge !
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 00:53   #24
BHPian

My suggestions as follows:

1. BMW 330i:
This should provide you the best driving fun but it will also make you stretch your budget.
So, if there's no deficiency of vitamin M, go for it!

2. Jeep Compass:
I think you should not discard the Compass (Diesel 4x4 AT) just because of the possibility of squeaks. If they are fixable, this can be the most practical option fulfilling most of your requirements. It's ride quality is also closer to a sedan than a SUV, it is a great long distance performer and the car is most feature packed among your options.

3. Skoda Octavia:
This can provide you a driving experience closer to the 330i except for that RWD handling, but it is also available at the preferred end of your budget range.

4. Skoda Kodiaq L&K:
If waiting for it is possible for you, its a great car and I don't think we need to pay more than the booking amount till the car arrives to the dealership.
Old 31st March 2022, 05:18   #25
BHPian

Close your eyes and go for any BMW. They are making very reliable cars these days. Much better reliability than the Japs. At least in my case.
Old 31st March 2022, 06:53   #26
BHPian

I bought a Superb even though the new one is a year or so away, decided I couldn't wait indefinitely for a car. It's an excellent and comfortable car. However, I would have preferred to have spent the same or a bit more and bought a pre owned 530D/New 330i. If you're a keen driver, buy the Bimmer and forget about waiting.
imp! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 07:36   #27
BHPian

Did you try out the new Mercedes GLA 220d? Might look small but it's quite spacious, well equipped and practical. I took delivery of one last week (4 matic in Denim Blue) and I am thoroughly impressed by the way it goes. And its interior is in a class of its own and the rear is quite spacious.

In Chennai, it was about 52L for the 2wd progressive and 55L for the 4matic AMG line. Give it a try. The 2.0L motor with the 8 dct makes the car fly!

Plus its got an 8 year unlimited warranty on the engine and gear box and a 3 year comprehensive warranty that you can upgrade to 6 years for 70k.
Old 31st March 2022, 08:40   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
Plus its got an 8 year unlimited warranty on the engine and gear box and a 3 year comprehensive warranty that you can upgrade to 6 years for 70k.
Does MB offer 8 years unlimited warranty on engine and GB as standard? Any link/reference to check the details?
Old 31st March 2022, 08:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Does MB offer 8 years unlimited warranty on engine and GB as standard? Any link/reference to check the details?
Yes. There s no mileage limitation on both the 36 month comprehensive warranty as well as the 8 year Engine and Transmission warranty. There isn't an online link but I ve uploaded a snap of the warranty booklet I was given on delivery.

The 35 - 50 lakh price bracket conundrum | Which car for an enthusiast?-img_20220331_084826.jpg

And here s the cost of extending the comprehensive warranty to 4,5 and 6th year. No mileage limit applies here as well.

The 35 - 50 lakh price bracket conundrum | Which car for an enthusiast?-screenshot_20220331_085701.jpg

Last edited by clementj : 31st March 2022 at 08:58.
clementj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 15:26   #30

Since it is most likely going to be your last ICE car, I would also recommend stretching your budget a bit for the BMW 330i. It has everything you're looking for from driving dynamics to comfortable ride for you on those long stretches. The only chink in it's armor would be the rear seat space which you will have to check by taking a test drive with your family. Other than that it suits all your requirements to the T.
If somehow you can't live with that rear back seat space, then i would recommend the following:
1. Pre Owned but sparingly used BMW 5 series.
2. Skoda Superb for that limousine feel and great engine.
3. Toyota Camry for plush ride and peace of mind on the maintenance front.
bhavye.31 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks