Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2022, 12:14   #1
BHPian

New VW Virtus GT vs Demo VW T-Roc?

I pre-booked the Virtus GT Candy White on the day of the unveil - March 8. Even then, I am being told that the wait time is 2 months ‘minimum’ for the white colour. I just don’t understand what’s the whole point of pre-booking then?

Incidentally, the GM told me about a demo T Roc (2020) with 6k KM odometer reading available for sale for 26 lakhs (negotiable) - all inclusive. I’ll be the first owner if I opt-in. The car will come with 2 year warranty plus I can opt in for additional warranty as well.

I always loved the T Roc, but the car got sold out before I decided to buy a car.

My only concern with T Roc is availability of spare parts if VW discontinues the model altogether/doesn’t plan to import the next batch.

Also, there are some pretty handy features that aren’t available in T Roc such as the wireless Apple CarPlay and ventilated seats, both of which I find so convenient and useful. Moreover, the space is limited in T Roc - be it the leg-room at the back or the booth capacity. Despite all the shortcomings, I kinda love the car.

I know 26 lakhs is way overpriced, but all I had is initial word with the GM. At what price point do you feel that this T Roc makes any sense, if at all? Is it worth to splurge my money on a model that I am not sure if would be continued in future or not? Or should I wait for few months and opt for the white Virtus GT which I have already booked?

PS: Other available colours on the GT Virtus didn’t appeal to my heart as much as the white did.
dr.delete is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 20:30   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: New VW Virtus GT vs Demo VW T-Roc?

I would stay away from the T-ROC TD car. Firstly, the asking price of 26L seems astronomical to me and secondly, there's an aversion to TD cars anyways for obvious reasons. You never know how they have been used or abused, especially this being a DQ200 equipped car.

Having said that, the Virtus GT is too much of a compromise over the TROC in my opinion too. My advice is to get a used TROC. I am sure you will find a lower priced example. Even if it has more km on the odo (say 20-25K km), I would still place my bets on it rather than a sparsely used TD car.
vishy76 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 15:34   #3
BHPian

Bro I was in a similar position some days back. We test drove the Taigun, checked Virtus, Innova, Alcazar, XL6, i20 and Baleno. I am simply unable to decide whether to buy one last decent ICE car to go along with our W205 C Class or simply switch over to EV.

My conclusion: Wait for Tucson and Hyryder. VW/Skoda 2.O products are half baked. You won't be at peace with them. Gone are the days of Polo and Jetta.
Excommunicado is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 18:25   #4

The asking price is almost same as OTR for a new T-Roc, so a deal of less than 20lakh would be worth considering(IMO).

Also keep an eye on DQ200 gearbox due to its notoriousness. Bargain for se extended warranty if possible.

I was quoted around 22Lakh for a white Troc 2021 with 9000 KM on the odo with the same warranty of two years at a dealership on December 2021.
konguraajaa is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 19:44   #5
BHPian

Why T-Roc at 26 lakhs? Why not a used Mk4 Octavia, or a Superb or a Passat B8, or a Tiguan, or a Kodiaq? TD cars are very abused by everyone including the showroom. Also, if this will be your only car in family, I’d suggest a proper SUV or a Sedan for practicality since you can’t even have airport runs with comfort owing to the lack of boot space in these new age compact crossovers/SUV’s.

All that said and done, T-Roc has got a comprehensive facelift internationally. With the results T-Roc has seen, it is highly likely that it is brought back in the Indian market. I love how the T-Roc looks, but if I were buying a used car at 26 lakhs, T-Roc definitely wouldn’t be on the list. It is a great second car.
sarfraz1997 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 21:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.delete View Post
Incidentally, the GM told me about a demo T Roc (2020) with 6k KM odometer reading available for sale for 26 lakhs (negotiable) - all inclusive. I’ll be the first owner if I opt-in. The car will come with 2 year warranty plus I can opt in for additional warranty as well.

I know 26 lakhs is way overpriced, but all I had is initial word with the GM. At what price point do you feel that this T Roc makes any sense, if at all
Buying a 6K kms run demo car reminds me of a recent Citroen story.

There are many ways this 2020 T Roc demo car can go wrong.

Go with the brand new Virtus. You will have peace of mind (until the warranty is over).
gjnnbagal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 21:30   #7
BHPian

For 26 Lakhs, you could get a used Octavia, Superb, or maybe even the older Kodiaq, 3 cars infinitely better than both the T - ROC and Virtus. Each of these cars used will still be in better condition than a TD Car
TorqueMonster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 23:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.delete View Post
I pre-booked the Virtus GT Candy White on the day of the unveil - March 8. Even then, I am being told that the wait time is 2 months ‘minimum’ for the white colour. I just don’t understand what’s the whole point of pre-booking then?

I would recommend not touching the demo car with a barge pole. First of all, 26 Lakh is really high for a demo car with 6000 km on the odometer, and as others have pointed out, it can't be known how horrifically the car has been abused. It would not have been run-in or even warmed up before spirited driving, as is the case with demo cars usually. In short, it would not be the most reliable car- far from it.

If the 2 month waiting period for the Virtus ends up being too long, you can always explore other options (new and pre-worshipped), but it would be very risky to buy a demo car.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 11th June 2022 at 23:13.
GForceEnjoyer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 06:26   #9
BHPian

We considered a new T-ROC too, but they stopped, so went for the new Octavia. Just my 2 cents. I was bowled by the Europeanness of the T-ROC in spite of us looking for Sedans. New Octavia should be 15% more than this?
Considering it to be a CKD, I think the price is justified
vinya_jag is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 08:35   #10
BHPian

I'd suggest please stay away from a Demo car.

Reason:-

I get paranoid to leave my car for more than a day even at an authorised service centre.

When I take my cars for the general service/repair and if the SA says some part needs replacement, I ask them to check in their inventory and confirm if that part is available, if not, I ask them to order that part and get the car back home and park it until the part arrives and then take the car to the service centre and get it replaced.

When the clutch had to be replaced in my Celerio, Mandovi motors, Bangalore did not have stock of the part and it took a week to arrive, once it arrived I dropped the car and got it back the following day.

And here picking up a car that has been with the showroom or service folks as a beater car (demo car) for 2 years. No, never!

We never know if any part was swapped?, was the scheduled maintenance carried out?, was any part replaced (bumper, fender, windshield, headlamp, tail lamp)? was it parked in the open? and so many such unanswered questions.

While 6k km might seem quite low running. It's safe to assume atleast 100 different people would have driven this car in different driving styles, which would make parts wear out similar to a 30k km single handedly driven car.

Similar to what many have already mentioned, I'd be confident to bet my money on a similar used car even if it has 20k km on the odo.

Additionally, you have mentioned that this car might be discontinued, that's another red flag to stay away from it, until it's a popular car from Hyundai/Maruti/Toyota where we can be assured of parts supply or can source it locally.

Extended warranties would cover for the replacement & labor cost of the parts, but the question here is how long would it take to get access for the part in the first place.

My opinion:- Please stay away from it, we have heard a lot of horror stories on this very forum after picking a demo car.
Nishith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 10:06   #11
BHPian

My 2 cents -
If you like the interiors of the Virtus, please be patient and wait. I am going through the same situation wherein I booked the Octavia 6 weeks back and still waiting, with no clear indication of when will it be delivered.
At least for the Virtus it's been launched now and started delivery, so it's just a matter of time before you can enjoy driving the Brand new car
mah45 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 11:01   #12

I drive a T-Roc and I can assure you that it is a far more superior product to Virtus. Saying that, a pre used one at 26L is just milking the opportunity. The dealer is clearly hoping for someone to catch the bait so that he can make a good buck.

Demo cars are horribly abused, there's absolutely no doubt there. But if at all you can have them refresh the consumables and do a good service job - 6000kms isn't really all that much.

My 2 cents - If at all you're able to close it out at 20L with SMP with 4 years of warranty + 2 years extended (if at all), you'd be in a safe place. Take a long test drive and do the PDI with a trustworthy service advisor - and you just might luck out.
abhiram. is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 09:20   #13
BHPian

The T-Roc is the better car than the Virtus on any given day. Please try to find the comparable market rate of a used T-Roc and use that as a benchmark to negotiate. 26L is simply too high of an asking price, even though the car is 2 years old.

I would also say that if you are truly interested in the T-Roc then please make sure to ask the dealer for an extended warranty (incl gearbox) during the negotiation period, that should give you peace of mind for at least the next 3-4 years.

For spare availability, it honestly shouldn't be so bad. The only time VW India has to break a sweat sourcing spares is when you have cars like the Phaeton or Touareg.

I would stay away from the Virtus any day. VW India's 2.0 products are not representative of what the brand stands for, it is even more frustrating when you part with 2 million of your hard earned rupees to get a product that is far from perfect. Buying VWs will simply not give you the peace of mind that it used to with the Polo, Vento, Jetta lineup any more.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 11:32   #14

I can see that the majority opinion seems to be not to consider a TD car but at the same time it seems consistent that the T-Roc is a much better buy than the Virtus.
I also echo a similar opinion. To add to that, I have been running a T-Roc since Aug 2020 and have clocked close to 16k kms on it. I have, touchwood, not experienced any issues with the product until now barring a horn replacement, for some strange reason. I would suggest you bargain hard for the T-Roc and get in an EW (Extended Warranty) to sweeten the deal. It seems unlikely that the car would have been fundamentally shaken but do get an opinion of a trusted Service Advisor and make sure to take a long TD. You could also bargain with the dealer to keep the vehicle for a day and use it across various scenarios.
I felt the build strength for the Virtus was not on the expected lines and it did disappoint me during the TD. The doors for one don't shut with the expected "Thump" and somehow feel lighter, even than the Vento. Interior fit & finish is also not on VW lines and there are some impractical bits (Volume control on the AVNT, etc)

To sum-up, I would suggest the T-Roc if you are not one for space & practicality and want something fun to drive and wouldn't mind the ride to be a tad bit firmer. If comfort, elegance, space is your preference, I think the 1.5L Virtus would have you smiling!

Last edited by aditya969 : 13th June 2022 at 11:37.
aditya969 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 12:14   #15
BHPian

T-Roc is a good car especially considering the quality that is coming out of the rest of VAG 2.0 in this price range. Unlike Tiguan Allsspace, VW India has retained the model on its website. However, we do not know, if T-Roc would be launched again. Company has not denied nor confirmed any future launch. So waiting for a new T-Roc does not make any sense.

As feared by others here, a TD car is by and large is not well used. Also the service record of the car may not be clean, given the car is owned by the dealership. There are certainly sellers out there. You will be able to get the service record of the car. Given that all cars are still in their default warranty period , none would have tried to service their cars outside of authorized centers. So avoid the TD car.

As far as the Virtus is concerned,

1. it offers more space. If that's a requirement for you, then do not compromise.

2. the DSG behavior was sober compared to the T-Roc in lower gears.
The T-Roc is very jittery between D1 and D2 there by affecting your ride in bumpy conditions. I did not find this issue in Virtus 1.5 DSG.

3. it's cabin insulation also seemed as good as T-Roc, is what I found.

4. the suspension is also on the softer side compared to T-Roc. Thus offers more comfortable ride.

The risks with DSG remain the same between the two. The part availability is indeed an issue for the T-Roc.
tristis2008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed