Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2022, 21:41   #16

Re: Recommendations for a Comfortable Car under 40-lakh rupees | 90% highway usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

New car options = Kia Carnival (mind-blowing comfort + space + excellent engine + gearbox)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
Your running is on the higher side, so a diesel might make the most sense. In that case, a Kia Carnival will suit your needs (so will an Innova Crysta ZX Automatic).
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
The Octavia L&K is a great 5 seater but I feel like your requirements practically scream KIA Carnival.
The Kia Carnival for sure ticks most of the requirements. It might not have the same driving dynamics as a Octavia, but i believe it is not a boring car as well based on the reviews.

For some reason, the Carnival was not something I naturally was inclining towards, mostly because of it's huge proportions? (My wife will probably take months before she even considers sitting on the driver's seat ). But i think overall it is the most luxurious for even 6 passengers and is something i can consider seriously.

Another point is, as there have been news about The new-generation Kia Carnival potentially around the corner for the last few months now. Is it worth overlooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shitij View Post
All 1 to 8 of your criteria and the budget which says 30 to 40, scream an Innova ZX Auto. Speaking from personal experience, I have done few 500 km/day drives in my Z MT Innova and I arrive at my destination with very little fatigue. It crunches Kms like anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
There is no better highway cruiser than the Innova Crysta. The top model is well within your budget. The bullet proof reliability and the awesome resale value are legendary. IMO you should seriously consider the top diesel automatic variant of the Innova Crysta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashed View Post

Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats an Innova under 40 lakhs - 1) sofa like seating, knees at the same level as hip minimizing discomfort and back pains, 2) great visibility and ability to look over traffic so your view isn’t blocked as you’re seated high, like in an SUV, 3) amazing ride quality over bad roads, specially at highway speed, which means you won’t have to constantly slow down/ brake & accelerate, 4) latest gen has very decent NVH levels, 5) get the automatic top Z variant.

Not recommending a sedan as #1 above is a key issue for me, so this is just based on my experiences.
Regarding the Innova, I have driven Innova a number of times and it definitely is a comfortable car.

But my thinking is that I may not have a feeling of a proper upgrade? Moving from a Ciaz to a Octavia/Kodiaq/Carnival would be a huge difference, but the Innova with its basic interiors and lack of certain nice to have features like (Eg: Venitlated seats) in spite of spending over 30L might not be something i will be able to convince myself tbh.
GoAudiJOSHI is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 23:10   #17
BHPian

Re: Recommendations for a Comfortable Car under 40-lakh rupees | 90% highway usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAudiJOSHI View Post
For some reason, the Carnival was not something I naturally was inclining towards, mostly because of it's huge proportions? (My wife will probably take months before she even considers sitting on the driver's seat ). But i think overall it is the most luxurious for even 6 passengers and is something i can consider seriously.

Another point is, as there have been news about The new-generation Kia Carnival potentially around the corner for the last few months now. Is it worth overlooking?
I don't think the next-generation Carnival is going to be available here anytime soon and even if it is, it'll be at a significant premium compared to this generation. Perhaps a test drive of all your considered cars can help solve your doubts. Depends on your tastes and preferences; if you want a comfortable land barge to waft along then the Carnival has you covered. If you want something more dynamic that doesn't give up too much comfort, the Octavia is for you. Its suspension technology is light-years ahead of competitors and is rock-solid at serious triple digit speeds (it was made for the autobahn after all).

Test driving both one after the other on the same routes (ideally) should help you decide. Good luck.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 18th June 2022 at 23:17. Reason: Typo.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 05:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
The Kia Carnival for sure ticks most of the requirements.

For some reason, the Carnival was not something I naturally was inclining towards, mostly because of it's huge proportion
Regarding the Innova, I have driven Innova a number of times and it definitely is a comfortable car.

But my thinking is that I may not have a feeling of a pro.
I share those, somehow both Innova and Kia carnival appear to me like a huge MPV and not like a self driven SUV ( just my view, please don't mistake me)
That's why I was suggesting to take a look at the Harrier or Safari once
On the highway or open roads I found driving it very good, but in bad city roads I didn't like the ride quality,
But they do have all the features required like Ventilated seats or Sun roof etc
So, no harm trying them once although it's considered one segment below
mah45 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 11:43   #19
BHPian

For driving on highways, reliability is important. You don’t want to be stuck some where in the middle of nowhere. With 90% highway running, the only choice is Innova. If it was within city then maybe any other brand, but on secluded highways you don’t want to be stuck for hours waiting for help.

Innova for highways - No brainer
Comfort for highways - No car can match Innova.

It might be utilitarian, but you would never regret buying an Innova. In addition for some reason you don’t like it, sell it after few years without losing much money.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th June 2022 at 18:57. Reason: Editing for typos, language & deleting excessive dots (see mod note). Please read the forum rules once. Thank you.
samitjain is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th June 2022, 11:44   #20
BHPian

You could wait for the Tucson facelift. It seems the launch is around the corner. If they keep the same engine and gearbox, and add some bells and whistles, it would be quite a package.
gary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 15:18   #21
BHPian

Innova : safe choice, but not fun.
Aircross : quirky but very good handling/comfort. Fun even.
MG z ev : modern choice.

I'd not recommend any petrol option, especially large sedans or suvs.
srgntpepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 19:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:
The Kia Carnival for sure ticks most of the requirements. It might not have the same driving dynamics as a Octavia, but i believe it is not a boring car as well based on the reviews.

If we had even one spy shot of the next gen Carnival testing on Indian roads I would've told you to buy a used XL6 or Ertiga as a temporary car and wait for the new KIA Carnival as unless you're willing to spend 85 Lakh - 1.1 Crore on a Mercedes Benz V-Class or Toyota Vellfire there is no car that spoils you for comfort and space as much as the KIA Carnival. For context the boot space in the KIA Carnival with all 3 rows up is 540 Liters, that's bigger than my dad's 2017 Honda City (510L).

The KIA Carnival is (and I know it sounds stupid) the MPV equivalent of a Classic Muscle car, not the best in the corners and it's extremely large but step on the gas on a relatively straight road and it just pulls. Give it some love under the hood and you'll easily get 250-260hp
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 23:16   #23
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Wait till September and get this! There's nothing smoother than this French beauté!
Attached Images

LaRoca is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 23:47   #24
BHPian

As already advised by most of the fellow Bhpians, it has to be Toyota Innova Crysta or the KIA Carnival. If I was in your shoes, I would pick the Innova Crysta as it is not that difficult to drive within the city (for your 10% usage) with a comparatively smaller turning radius. Resale value, service cost, reliability and comfort at a price which is lower end of your budget. With the effective AC, you would not regret the lack of ventilated seats. If you still have a concern and want some exclusivity, KIA Carnival it is where you may have to compromise a bit on ground clearance and cumbersome city driving.
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 00:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

I don't seem to find anything that would beat an Innova from the list, heck the 6 speed automatic diesel mated to an Innova is a match made in heaven, not to mention the bullet proof reliability

Take the latest one out for a test drive and decide for yourself.

Last edited by humyum : 20th June 2022 at 00:56.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 07:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, starting to realize that when driving for more than 5 hours, I eventually get tired.
Joshi saab,

Don't mind me saying this, but as a well wisher, I still will suggest - figure out your personal fitness first.

At 25, I could not use a squat toilet and needed a neck pillow for any drives over 10 min.
At the cusp of 40, I can sit "Asian squat" peacefully for 2+ hours and have long thrown away this neck pillow.

Upgrade, sure
But listen to your body first.

PS: The 6 airbags is totally on point. Thats my primary motivation for my Yaris.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 07:59   #27
BHPian

Recently purchased a sparingly used (~8K) Innova 2.8Z and changed the suspension to Bilstein B6. There goes van like handling of the car and it is fun to drive. B6 provided the right balance between ride comfort and handling. Innova aircon at 24C is already cold enough and anything lower passengers kept complaining. You could also add wider tires (225/55R17) for improved comfort/handling.

An option to consider with some money to spare
kevintomin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 09:25   #28

So many replies, yet I'm surprised how no one suggested the Hyundai Tucson?

It's a great SUV.

- Handles exceptionally well on Hills.
- Feels European build.
- The new 8-speed AT does a good job.
- A new Tucson is almost here, so good discounts with the current one.
- Option to go for 4WD or 2WD as per your will.
- Safe
- A proper mile-muncher.

It's actually a very good proposition if you see it as a contender per se.
AlphaPetrolhead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 03:41   #29
BHPian

As a third gen Octavia owner, let me be very very clear. While it is a great car, it is not the right one for your needs. First of all, the octy is a strict 4 seater. A middle passenger is not at all welcome for long trips. Secondly, it’s a petrol and the kind of driving you have, you need a diesel. Third, to enjoy a highway, you don’t need a low CG sedan. A powerful MPV with good straight line stability will do. So i guess it’s either the Innova or the Carnival.
robby0707 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks