Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2022, 23:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Help: Have 3 cars, but only 2 are needed!

I am in the same boat with three cars but only two users. The three cars are:
1 - BMW 320D (F30) Feb 2015 42,000 kms and absolutely flawless and mint. Primarily used by me but my daily run is just 1.5 kms
2 - WagonR Stingray Feb 2016 19,500 - primarily used as an Activa for shorter runs and tighter spaces. Driven mostly by my wife.
3 - Kia Carnival - Mar 2021 - 14,000 kms - essentially a highway cruiser. It was an impulse purchase and we all like the car very much. Both of us drive.

But most days the cars remain parked and I have to worry about their upkeep. Carnival was bought thinking that we will do quite a lot of road trips and we did as well. But off late, with age catching up, I feel that our bodies are giving up and we are not as responsive as we used to be while driving.

BMW is what I truly enjoy driving but lack of front parking sensors and reverse camera etc. is a deal breaker now. One option is that I get a driver to drive around but I feel ashamed to be driven around in 3 series.

I have been thinking to sell Carnival and retain BMW. Other worry is that maybe Bangalore will also get influenced by NGT order and ban over 10 year cars.

Or, I sell both Carnival and BMW and try to get maybe a Defender. Need a SUV to even navigate Bangalore now.

Or, I sell BMW and just manage with Carnival as a daily driver.

Suggestions welcome.
Old 1st July 2022, 02:14   #32
BHPian

Sell either the Taigun or the Corolla and buy a 650cc + bike
SN88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 02:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

Perspective One:
In such a situation, things being easy for parents while you are away could be seen as a priority. Based on that, if your mom finds the Altis acceptable comfortably for use, like many have said, sell the Taigun. If the Taigun is to be retained, and there is no issue with the ingress height of the Innova, would retain the Innova to have two fairly different types of vehicles and be well covered for city, highway, relative visits, lots of space, and so on. You mentioned a driver, and an Innova works well with that too.

Perspective Two:
What might be somewhat lacking in the above might be the enthuaist part for your dad, and the luxury feeling you talked about. For that, you could sell both the Taigun and Altis and get something which is a city friendly size and enjoyable to drive. A Jeep Compass fits in quite well into that - somewhat premium, very enjoyable to drive in the Diesel MT avatar, moderate ride, very agile for it's size and height, good steering response (for an EPS, it is much fun) , well done interiors, easy ingress-egress height, and a MT your mother will appreciate. It might not be like a low slung sedan or a hot hatch, but in higher vehicles if scores on the FTD factor and is a bit of a badge in India. It won't be a Toyota for service surely, and another issue will be to convince one's self and family to sell the Tiagun (and the Altis) for what might not be seen as enough of a difference between the Compass and Tiagun - but only driving one will tell you if there is.

Odd, outside option - difficult to recommend, yet mentioning:
If looking at a petrol, and badge can be kept aside, an odd choice is also the Nissan Kicks:
For an enthuaist: A hydraulic steering with feel which connects you to the driving experience (a rarity in today's market); excellent suspension balancing enjoyable driving and much comfort for daily use; city friendly size; easy ingress-egress height and aperture; well priced; an engine co-developed with Mercedes (IIRC also used on some Mercs) - check the link for more details.
Against: Hard to convince to sell the Taigun to get one; badge value.

PS: I quite like the second option. First is more practical though.

Last edited by Poitive : 1st July 2022 at 02:20. Reason: Refinement.
Old 1st July 2022, 09:09   #34
BHPian

1. Keep the Crysta. You may.need extra luggage or seating space for only 7 days in a year. But when you need it, you need it. Also it will last forever, and in 5 yrs time if you need to reacquire it, it'll cost you half a crore. Stick with it.

2. The Corolla and Taigun are a toss up. The former would be more reliable and having both cars from same stable means you can have. a good working relationship with the after sales service garage. It's a bit bigger but has an auto.

The Taigun is really basic. And won't offer any upside to the Corolla other than it's a little compact. Plus it's a manual, so may get a little tedious in a few yrs time.

३. Get rid of both. And buy a Nexon EV.

All the best
Old 1st July 2022, 16:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchamp View Post
Crysta is a keeper as you can use it when all your family members are here for a trip and also has got the most comfortable seats.
Yes, that's true. I really like the BMW 3 series so that will definitely be one of the top choices if we buy a luxury car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
So sell the Innova and Taigun.
3. Taigun - Sell it. I don't understand the rational behind your manual requirement
Innova and Corolla both being practical in their own ways, makes this a tough decision. My mother is only comfortable driving manual cars, she doesn't understand automatics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Sell the innova and the taigun and get an electric Nexon for the city runs.
For snob value, I don't care much, but either of the Toyotas can do the job there (if required).
I see no reason to sell Taigun and get a Nexon, I am happy with the cars. Taigun was bought for city runs and to go to congested places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post
Sell either the Taigun or the Corolla and buy a 650cc + bike
Hahaha! Since this is for my parents, I don't think they will be okay riding a bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
PS: I quite like the second option. First is more practical though.
Yes, the first two options are very nice. My dad wanted to get a manual Jeep Compass but we didn't know about the consequences at that time, plus we had budget constraints so we got a Taigun.
Do you think it makes sense to trade in both the Toyotas for a Jeep Meridian or a BMW 3 series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
३. Get rid of both. And buy a Nexon EV.
All the best
Point 1 is so true, or we could just trade in the other two cars for a Jeep Compass / Meridian. This situation is actually very confusing.
Old 1st July 2022, 16:38   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post
My mother is only comfortable driving manual cars, she doesn't understand automatics..
Get a rental for a week, and let her drive that. She will easily see the comfort and convenience of an AT. Your options will then undergo a sea change.

In any metro, an AT is a boon. The one reason my wife is independent about her commute is the AT. She drives an A-Star AT, and it is just right for her. We have a Storme for any other trips, esp when we have luggage / outstation trips etc.
Old 1st July 2022, 16:53   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Get a rental for a week, and let her drive that. She will easily see the comfort and convenience of an AT. Your options will then undergo a sea change.
She has driven the Corolla a lot of times but just doesn't feel much comfortable, she feels lost and feels automatics are boring.
Old 1st July 2022, 17:22   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
She has driven the Corolla a lot of times but just doesn't feel much comfortable, she feels lost and feels automatics are boring.
With time an AT will be required. I hope mom is young enough to manage manuals for another 4-5 years at least

My FiL, wasnt willing to listen to us to go for an AT. About a year back replaced his car with another manual. Now finding it a bit hard to drive it. Traffic isnt an issue since he lives in a small town. He started about 50 yrs back, and wants to drive, but his health is not keeping up. An AT will be needed in the not too distant future.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 01:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My dad wanted to get a manual Jeep Compass but we didn't know about the consequences at that time, plus we had budget constraints so we got a Taigun.
Do you think it makes sense to trade in both the Toyotas for a Jeep Meridian or a BMW 3 series?
From 2 Toyota's plus to a VW+BMW/Jeep - not a great shift in terms of hassle-free reliable ownership, so I don't think that would be a great idea. Keep at least one of the Toyotas, I'd say.

I haven't driven the Meridian, so can't be sure, would be very surprised if the Meridian drove as well as the Compass - extra weight with the same engine and same engine specs, longer wheelbase, significantly more overhang etc. What was enjoyable in the Compass was it's nimbleness and how it could be taken though traffic, and I really don't expect the Meridian to be such. The Compass seems like a vehicle that was designed, and to me, the Meridian seems like an afterthought. The usable interior space might not be much more, but can't be sure. If you are thinking of a BMW, do factor in the repair and upkeep costs; especially if bought used.

I'd say, check the Compass and if it works well enough (the cabin isn't large) and if you are okay with the concerns in the link I posted before, get that and let go of the Altis and Tiagun. Invest whatever is saved for a future car purchase. This option shifts daily runs from the Tiagun 1.0 to Jeep 2.0 and that difference could well be worth it. You also get to retain the many benifits of the Innova.

Cheers

Last edited by Poitive : 2nd July 2022 at 01:38. Reason: Refinement
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 14:04   #40
BHPian

You have a 2019 Innova and a 2019 Altis. Both are fairly new cars and can easily last many more years. Now I get that the situation has changed over the past 2-3 yrs and once you go abroad, it’s mostly going to be your mom needing a beater car, which is your VW. I dont know if she is comfortable letting go of that one so do check on how she feels about driving a CVT instead.

So ideally, ask your dad how much he plans to use a car, as he is working from home now. If he plans to use a mostly for family outing’s and highway trips, Innova is the one. If he is looking for driving pleasure primarily, the Corolla is the keeper.
EvilZombie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 23:54   #41
BHPian

Quote:

We have a 2019 February Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7 Petrol ZX AT (at 35,xxx kms), a 2019 December Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 Petrol VL CVT (at 19,xxx kms) and a 2022 March Volkswagen Taigun 1.0 Petrol Manual Highline (at 5,9xx kms).

1. Will it be a good idea to keep the 3 cars until next year and then decide?
2. Will it be a good idea to keep the Taigun and sell either of the two cars?
3. Will it make sense to trade in the Toyotas for one 'big' / 'luxury' car for the equivalent amount of money? (Oh no! I don't think there's anything reliable in the 35-40 lakh rupees price bracket) Can we stretch the budget a little bit? Maybe, I'm not sure. There isn't anything tempting in the market!
  1. No, you will get lesser price if you wait longer. If you have to sell, sell now.
  2. It seems that Taigun is getting driven in city heavily despite being the only MT car of your garage. So, keep it. Your family loves MT.
  3. True, there is not anything tempting in that price bracket.

Between Altis and Innova, I believe Innova would be better for the highways.

Sell Altis. Given 3 years of age and 19k odometer reading, you may get back 75%-80% of ex-showroom price.
anirbanjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 12:11   #42
BHPian

Quote:
l

Point 1 is so true, or we could just trade in the other two cars for a Jeep Compass / Meridian. This situation is actually very confusing.
If by 'Point no1' you refer to the occasional need for space, I just test drove the Compass a month back. Compared to the Innova, it has no space. If you are tired of the Innova, then the Tucson would be a better bet than the Compass. For a seven-seater option, the Innova still trumps the Meridien.

First decide determinant, function or taste. Then it won't be confusing.
Old 30th July 2022, 11:07   #43
BHPian

Am in a similar situation. My wife inherited our 3rd car and we do not feel the need for 3 cars now.

Have a Jeep Compass D, 1 year old with 9k km in the ODO. Since it was recently purchased, we definitely want to retain it.

The other two are:

* 2017 Honda City SV petrol, with 39k in the ODO. Tire replacements are due. Fully driven by me, and no major issues faced
* 2018 Honda WRV SV petrol with 14k in the ODO. This is the one that we inherited. It has some dents and scratches and I had the bumper and side door repainted as my FIL had scraped the sides. The fuel pump was replaced in warranty during the first year.

The city has a bigger boot and better suited for occasional highway drives and to use with a chauffeur as it has more space. Whereas the WRV is more suited for city drives. Incidentally, the City delivers better mileage in both the city and highway runs.

With the news that Honda discontinuing both the models, I know that I need to let go of a Honda, but undecided which one to let go. I would like to keep the City, but the WRV is newer.
Old 30th July 2022, 14:04   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermiler View Post
With the news that Honda discontinuing both the models, I know that I need to let go of a Honda, but undecided which one to let go. I would like to keep the City, but the WRV is newer.
I feel this is kind of a no-brainer. The WRV is the one that should go, if you don't want to retain all 3.

2017 vs 2018 doesn't matter when it comes to a Honda. The running difference is also not much - City is used just 39k - that is almost new!

The 1.5 engine in City is so much better than the 1.2 in WRV, and City can be used for city usage too, if you are willing to set aside some money for incidentals.
bansal.sushant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 15:23   #45
BHPian

Sell the Taigun, as GTO said. With the AC issue, I wouldnt even have bought it. I would have happily gone for the Jazz automatic. But with the Altis present, i dont see how is it that tough to drive, as i am a Scorpio guy and can easily drive the City.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks