Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2022, 22:07   #16
BHPian

Re: Finding the elusive Jack of all trades | A daily drive car for Dad

Since he is used to wagon R and its dimensions, he could go for the next gen Wagon R or an Ignis. He will feet at home in both of them. But they won't feel like upgrade at all.

Last edited by Joelinf : 5th July 2022 at 22:19.
Joelinf is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 23:02   #17
BHPian

No showrooms yet have that narrow solid C-SUV with a nice reliable fuel-efficient AT for the city. Customers would like it but then pay for the one that grows into the Hulk as it hits the highway.

While you check out the IGNIS, test drive the XL6. XL6 is narrower than Sonet but other road users don't have a clue. So they give it a lot more space to pass.
mkumar79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 00:36   #18
BHPian

Tata Tigor EV if you ask me.
1. Smooth and silent.
2. Responsive performance.
3. Two pedal driving, no shifting gears.
4. Good blend of ride and handling.
5. Built tough.
6. Compact footprint would make life easier in traffic, tight parking spots and narrow lanes.
7. Extremely low running costs when it's decent range and maintenance costs are taken into consideration.
8. None of the diesel's dpf ritual or low fuel economy of a petrol (especially during the short & traffic infested drives).
9. Approachable price tag with all the incentives in place.
Phantom 510 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 08:09   #19
BHPian

My suggestions will be
1. Ignis AMT if size matters and your dad likes the looks
2. Tata punch AMT, good ground clearance, upright seating and great visibility. Fuel efficiency may be slightly less
3. Tata Tigor EV if your running per day is low
4. Sonet AT , if you really need a proper upgrade
5. New wagonR

Test drive all and decide. Happy hunting.
Asish_VK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 08:37   #20

With the condition of your WagonR, I'm sure it's a beater car but mainly used by your dad on a day to day basis. For me, a beater car need not necessarily be an upgrade.
I would recommend you to look at Celerio/ Wagon R AMT as it ticks all your boxes but the only thing is these options are not an upgrade to your existing car.
npulyani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 09:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
- Kia Sonet Diesel Automatic- Currently the top contender. The idea behind spending 14 lakhs for a city car was due to the Ecosport being mostly used by me or my brother and hence not available for use at home. Hence, the car replacing WagonR should also be capable for the occasional highway trips that dad makes. The Sonet fits the bill well from this aspect with its excellent powertrain and compact dimensions.
I think you have it correctly ranked, go for Kia Sonet. It's probably my #1 pick too, among subcompact SUVs.

Another option is Nexon EV Max. It costs about 3-4 lakhs higher but might break even in 3-4 years. I would test drive it before ruling it out.

Good luck.
inwester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 10:05   #22
BHPian

The Kia Sonet Diesel Auto is a good choice if the budget permits. The powerful Kia Sonet Diesel will be a lot of fun to drive (in comparison to the Wagon-R).
X-Saint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 10:05   #23
BHPian

I would approach this from a ‘best horse for the course’ mindset.

Given your requirement of a CSUV with narrow dimensions, the Tata Punch fits the bill perfectly. Think of it as a shrunken Nexon. The engine may not be the most sprightly out there and the transmission not the most sophisticated but it fits your requirements nicely, undercutting your budget and freeing up money for fuel and maintenance. Also I am assuming your father mostly does ~1000 kms per month ( back calculated from the Rs 10K fuel bills) and this does not warrant a diesel. The Ignis may be another option but it does not scream ‘upgrade’ vs the wagon R.
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 10:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the new WagonR to replace the old one. Since your budget is above 10L, go for the top end version. Although both the cars share the same name, they are quite different in terms of space, looks and the new k10c engine. Of course, it is more for higher fuel efficiency and emission control rather than power.

You can even pick up the 1.2 which will be good for highways, but after driving the new one which we picked up for my dad in January this year, I will never suggest taking it out for a trip. The 1.0 engine is perfect for this car and for city driving. The fuel efficiency on our car initially was around 11kmpl, but now it is getting better after 2k kms and is around 13kmpl. Tankful - tankful calculated.

You already have a Ecosport, so I wouldn't suggest another car from the same segment.
Probably when time comes to replace the Ecosport , you can replace it with a bigger car.

Last edited by tharian : 6th July 2022 at 10:16.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 10:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

I recently test drove the Tata Punch. Almost immediately became a fan of its ride quality. Tall boy design also helps in ingress. The compact dimensions and the fact that the hood is visible to the driver, will make it more convenient for your dad.

Please do TD a Punch, before finalising any other car.
ashutoshb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 12:06   #26
BHPian

Here are my options:

1. Tata Punch- Amazingly compact dimensions. Rugged vehicle. Available in AMT. Will be swift through the city
2. Mahindra XUV 300- Excellent ride quality and refined engine
3. Toyota Urban Cruiser- Surprisingly nimble. Toyota's legendary reliability. Smooth engine
4. Maruti S-Cross- Only vehicle with good build and solid pedigree. Several owners can testify
bosem123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 12:14   #27
BHPian

I'd say go for the Ignis AMT eyes closed. Apart from fuel efficiency it ticks all the boxes that you have mentioned. Comparing the current Wagonr and Ignis side by side, the Ignis is a far better package (VFM + stronger structural build) but sadly an underrated car.

I have owned the Zeta petrol manual for 4 years now and the ownership experience has been quite pleasant. The maximum FE I have got in the city is 13. A word of advice, if you are considering a petrol stay away from Tata. Their petrol engines don't age well. This was told to me by a close acquaintance from Tata when I was looking for a vehicle to replace my old Santro Xing. Initially I was considering the Tigor but ended up with the Ignis and I can definitely say that it has been the right decision.

However if you are still in a dilemma, I'd suggest you and your father test drive both cars (back to back if possible) and then decide. Wishing you good luck with the purchase!
yatesh.92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 12:30   #28
BHPian

Tata Punch fits the bill perfectly for the given use case. It's compact, safe, looks good and tall.
Sonet is also good option but do remember, it's as wide as Ecosport.
AGupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 12:33   #29
BHPian

I might not be as qualified as the others here, but I'd like to share the following points:

1. I own a Nissan Magnite Turbo MT and yes, I can testify that it is a thirsty turbo-petrol engine, especially in the city with the AC on (8-10kmpl max). But, let me assure you, that it's a super fun to drive car and has great CSUV stance.

2. I've noticed that some people have suggested EVs (Tigor, Nexon). As an EV enthusiast and an Ather 450x owner (I know, it's a scooter and not a car), I feel that EVs, although provide low running costs, I'm not sure how much 'abuse-friendly' they are. While I am very confident of the build quality of these EVs, I just do not get the same comfort of using it as a beater vehicle, as compared to a normal ICE vehicle. Also, I feel that there would be a learning-curve in the EVs w.r.t the overall tech.

3. I'm not sure if as a newbie if I'm allowed to suggest cars, but my uncle (age 55) owns a Maruti Suzuki Ignis AMT. I feel, it's a great option. The car does have that 'tall-boy' stance, the K12 engine is super-refined, it's comfortable to drive, has amazing FE (city: 15kmpl with AC), great reliability, can be used as a beater car and has MS's good service network as well.
If it's a diesel you require, the Sonet D-AT is probably the best option.
rishil.ghurki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 13:24   #30
BHPian

The best option would be Tigor EV if you are open to EVs. It has Decent range for city use. Also here in Delhi they offered discount of 25-30k easily.
Otherwise Sonet Diesel can be your best bet. It offers a high seating position which is very comfortable for tall individuals and provides a good view of road.

Regarding CNG as option it is a painstaking task to wait in ques which your father won’t certainly like.
Tanmay_868 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks