Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2022, 17:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Finding the elusive Jack of all trades | A daily drive car for Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Everything else is not relevant as deal-breakers and as long as the above criteria are met, we are good to go.
I mean the only thing coming to my mind when I see the above conditions is the Honda Jazz. Especially because no other car that I know of fulfils the two (tall boy hatch a.k.a spacious and abuse friendly). Plus the jazz is truly a breeze in congested areas.
z_3en is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 20:08   #32
BHPian

The Sonet fits your needs to the T. It matches all your key requirements.

High seating position, frugal diesel engine, one of the smoothest auto gearbox, capable on the highway and compact enough for the city.

The top of the line trim has ventilated seats, front parking sensors and all the safety tech and on top of that a fairly reliable and proven vehicle that would serve your Dad well for the next decade or so.

Get the maximum available warranty for further peace of mind.
Speedshift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 20:18   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Am I missing something out here guys? I feel Sonet is the best option but what do you guys think? Lets fire up the comments!
I think majority of the folks have already supported your choice of the Sonet D AT. I shall just add my two cents.

I was in a similar dilemma about a year a to replace our Swift driven by my Dad & myself. I also created a thread on this which you can go through if you will. It's a long post though!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post5012489 (Which AT Compact SUV for me?)

Finally, after a whole year which includes some pondering, change of plans entirely of getting a new car and what not we finally got home our Sonet D AT last week. And trust me, it was a decision well made I feel. The Sonet D AT is a perfect replacement to our Swift and my Dad is happy with the car.

We couldn't manage to drive it much yet, due to the havoc played by the incandescent rains in my state. But whatever, we both could manage to drive for about 400 kms over the weekend, I can recommend you this car eyes closed!

Having said that, I would suggest that you do an extensive TD of the car with your dad just to make sure he is comfortable with the choice.

Good luck!
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 22:23   #34
BHPian

Sonet seems a little overkill, since you already have an Ecosport with no intention of replacing it. However, if the usage involves highway trips too (considering how narrow the roads in our state are) Sonet is a good choice.

If it's strictly for city use, and your dad does not drive around with more than three people, Ignis or the Punch is a better choice.

Also check out the Tigor EV too, as some bhpians have pointed out. Though I haven't driven the EV version , the petrol version is really adequate and is easy to drive with compliant ride as well in the city. Plus, the seating is comfortable too (another 6 footer here with broad frame).
subie_socal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 23:52   #35

Let me confuse a little bit more. I am surprised nobody siggested you the Altroz DCA. Give it a test drive, I think it fulfills the requirements.
mbudhraja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 01:03   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Dad liked the S-presso but I hate the looks of that car to my guts. Also, not really an upgrade to the WagonR in my opinion, especially for the highways.
I would request you to reconsider S-presso. It is tall, it is narrow and it gives a good fuel efficiency. And it has the highest ground clearance of all the cars you mentioned in your post - 180 mm, same as Bolero and Scorpio. Big sigh of relief! All of these for 6L OTR for the auto model with lifetime tax. I am simply loving my 5 day old S-presso AMT.

Here goes a tip: since your dad is well conversant with conventional clutch and gear mechanism, I strongly suspect that he would love the 'M' mode of the S-presso VXI AGS. He will get complete control of the car, as the sudden lack of power of AMT will vanish. In 'M' mode, due to his conventional training, he will not accelerate during gear change which is otherwise difficult to time in 'D' mode.

As long as the top speed is within 70-80, it is alright on highways. However, I would not recommend driving it on highways. S-presso is a tin can and suitable primarily for city drive.
anirbanjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 11:52   #37
BHPian

Kia Sonet diesel AT. But there is a twist in my suggestion.
You don't like the Santro, it's a discontinued car as on date. Keeping it for longer periods is counterproductive, also because of it's low running. So here it is, options;
1. Give the Santro to your Dad, and find a replacement car for your Mom.
2. By the Sonet now and for some reason if he doesn't like it, give the Santro to him and Sonet to Mom, and if Mom doesn't want the Sonet...
3. Replace Ecosport after a couple of years, until then let Dad and Mom decide what they want to drive between the Sonet and Santro.
4. If you decide to replace Ecosport, and Dad wants to go back to small car, keep the Sonet in place of Ecosport. And find replacement for either Mom or Dad depending on when you will be comfortable selling the Santro.

Bottom line, use Santro as much as possible and sell it fast. And take the Sonet diesel AT now. It is a little premature to sell the Ecosport. So that's your puzzle to solve.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks