Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2022, 19:42   #31
BHPian

Re: Advise needed for daily commute car, EV or something else?

Based on your running, Nexon EV seems like a practical choice. You will start to love your commute.

You can also take a look at the Honda City Hybrid. Although overpriced, it’s fun to drive, very comfortable and practical. Offers good fuel efficiency without the range anxiety.

Last edited by midazolam : 10th July 2022 at 19:44.
midazolam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 16:17   #32
BHPian

I have taken a TD of the EV max, no doubt, its fantastic. But I want to take an honest TD of a used Creta AT diesel as well.
Having a driver is not an option for me, I just do not feel comfortable, neither is converting to a CNG a comfortable choice for me, more so because we do not have many CNG bunks in our city.
Either the new EV or more practical option, a good condition Creta AT diesel, but I fear the depreciation after another 2 years.
Old 13th July 2022, 16:22   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
I have taken a TD of the EV max, no doubt, its fantastic.
Per latest news, Nexon EV Prime is being released with multi-mode regen - a feature that was in the EV Max. This should be a mid-ground between the Nexon EV and EV Max.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 17:48   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Per latest news, Nexon EV Prime is being released with multi-mode regen - a feature that was in the EV Max. This should be a mid-ground between the Nexon EV and EV Max.
Yes, I have been going through the EV prime thread since midnight last night. Now have started weighing my options once more. Auto hold maybe a feature I can make do without, remaining things I think works for me saving at least 2 lakhs.
Old 15th July 2022, 09:24   #35
BHPian

I was in the exact same dilemma. My annual running is 20k kms and I was considering the Nexon EV which costs around 18L.

I ended up buying a pre-owned Ameo TDI DSG for 6.5L.

How I took this decision:

1. Low upfront payment (saved 11.5L compared to buying a Nexon EV).

2. I get a mileage of around 20kmpl on average on the TDI as my running is 80% highways and 20% city which translates to around Rs 4.5 per km. Nexon EV would cost Re 1 per km (in best case) which translates to extra fuel expense of Rs 70,000 per annum for TDI compared to EV. This saving is insignificant compared to the initial high price of the EV.

3. Maintenance of TDI would be costlier than EV. But insurance of EV (new car worth 18L) would be costlier than TDI so I am guessing this would even out.

4. Re-sale value of both would be 0 after 8 years. Because I would have done 1,60,000 kms on the EV in 8 years and Tata offers exactly 8 years/1.6L kms warranty on motor and battery. A new battery costs 7L. On the other hand, the TDI would have done 2.1L kms in 8 years (50k already done while purchasing the car). So this evens out.

The only con is that the Ameo interiors look dated compared to the Nexon and the music system is not as good as the Nexon's JBL setup. And ofcourse, the Ameo uses DQ200 gearbox which I am guessing will need replacement at 1L kms.
anshumandun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 21:06   #36
BHPian

My eye would be on the tata nexon. Maybe the one with the bigger battery and longer range. I know many people have already suggested this. I am just re iterating the fact because i own an electric bike and have a daily commute of 25 kms, 6 days a week (almost). I save a ton on petrol. Imagine this. Roughly petrol is at 100 bucks. Considering the fact that an average car would take up 30 litres of fuel. Thats about 3000 bucks. The mileage would not be more than 15 in the city however you put it, and since your commute is 90km in a day, im assuming that u have 45 up and 45 down. Even in that case, the highway run would be too short for the car to climb up to that highest mileage spot. That comes to roughly 5 days of usage, before you would need to fill up again. At the expense of sounding incredibly geeky, the monthly cost should come around to 20k . Upto here, nothing that you have already mentioned.

When it comes to ev cars, the charging cost comes to less than a rupee for a km. That is a lot saved over the petrol version. That is just 500 bucks for a normal travel for you, even if you extend it, it would be only 1000 bucks a month. These figures for the ev, are when i am being generous about the cost.

Im telling you, go for an ev if the budget permits. Evs are the best vehicles for long daily commutes. Plus, the regenerative braking helps in the city and highway.
shresan23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 02:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
My eye would be on the tata nexon. I am just re iterating the fact because i own an electric bike and have a daily commute of 25 kms, 6 days a week (almost). I save a ton on petrol.

When it comes to ev cars, the charging cost comes to less than a rupee for a km. That is a lot saved over the petrol version. That is just 500 bucks for a normal travel for you, even if you extend it, it would be only 1000 bucks a month. These figures for the ev, are when i am being generous about the cost.

Im telling you, go for an ev if the budget permits. Evs are the best vehicles for long daily commutes. Plus, the regenerative braking helps in the city and highway.
No doubt, the EV needs smaller cost to charge than to fill-up diesel in a diesel car. But do take into consideration the cost of replacing the battery after a few years. Nexon EV battery could be costing around 5 lakhs today. And 5 years down the line, these may cost more or even much more.

The EV still may be more cost effective for you. But not as much as it looks purely from fuel saving point of view. So base your expectations realistically.

While the fuel costs will mostly keep going up, the cost of household electricity also will keep going up. And in future, once the EVs gain more and more market share, the Govt. has to ask you to fit a separate meter for EV charging, billed at different higher rate than the household electricity.

For every km you drive, the Govt. gets good amount of taxes (from fuel). Govt. needs this money to run the nation. Why shall the Govt. forgo this money simply because you changed from petrol to EV? In a calculated manner, the EV charging cost per km too will be hiked and maintained just-enough lower than the fuel cost per km.

Somewhere on T-BHP, I had read that the EV owners in Australia now need to pay a special separate tax to the Govt. for every km they run (based on the odometer reading). This is because the Govt. looses tax revenue from fuel sale when someone buys EV.

I am happy if the OP or anyone else saves on cost. All I am saying is factor-in the reduced savings in fuel cost in future. Factor-in the cost of new battery in future. Doesn't matter even if you plan to sell the car a little before the end of battery life. The re-sale value will reduce accordingly.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 17th July 2022 at 02:34.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 06:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
For every km you drive, the Govt. gets good amount of taxes (from fuel). Govt. needs this money to run the nation. Why shall the Govt. forgo this money simply because you changed from petrol to EV? In a calculated manner, the EV charging cost per km too will be hiked and maintained just-enough lower than the fuel cost per km.
Point well made. I honestly hadnt considered the government side of it. Yes, as we indulge more and more towards consumption of renewable energy, the government will find ways to monetise it, mostly with harsh backlashes. Some history revealed that this was the case when petrol cars started back in London. The Royalty decided to impose tax on cars and on the fuel used. It was a new method back then and was cheaper than going in a horse cart per se.

What you say is bound to happen. Soon, all the lovey dovey face of the government with regards to renewable sources, will vanish as the shackles of tax is imposed(sorry for being dramatic).

We just have to find a way around it.

Maybe we would not be liable to pay tax, if we generate electricity ourselves. Via Solar panels or Windmills etc?

The battery thing of course. The thing is, one also incurs cost in a ICE car. Its just that it is pushed over the years of ownership. I know it wouldnt be as much as an ev, just that an ICE car is prone to pull tons of money from you due to failure, anytime. Evs, are not that risky. Not today, but maybe soon, as far as EVs are concerned.

I hope you see, my point. Its just that, daily commute might be completely overrun by EVs, while it is upto us petrol-heads to keep ICEs alive for atleast the super fun highway runs.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th July 2022 at 10:07. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
shresan23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 13:56   #39
BHPian

I have now taken back to back test drives for the EV max since last 2 weeks, for being more clear in my head. While the temptation to go for a used Diesel Automatic upgrade within a short time and considerably less cash outgo remains to play a huge part, but most of the family members are against this. Even me after a sound thinking, have come to an opinion, why move to an already outdated outgoing technology and platform like a Diesel?
Rather keeping in mind just savings, and within a small cash outgo, I could look for a 1.0 litre turbo petrol automatic. But that would also need me to reach upto 10-11 lakhs (i20/Altroz). Stretch that budget by another 5 lakhs and I am into the Nexon EV Prime range. 5 lakhs is a no brainer considering upwards of 12k kms annually and 90% of it within city limits. Another 2 lakhs (nexon EV max) and it gives me peace of mind for another 100 Kms+.

I am almost on the verge of booking the XZ+ variant of the Nexon EV max or at least the Nexon EV prime. Will take a final call within this week. Thanks everyone.
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 22:44   #40
BHPian

Hi everyone, I was on a longish work trip to Europe for about 1 month now, which had me to hold on to making my decision. Now that I am back, I am back with the diellemas again. I met a Mahindra R&D person back in Frankfurt, who honestly felt I should wait for a proper EV, not a converted one, while its true, but the converted ones even do the job (my daily job). But I have now started looking at once again a 2 year stop gap with a decent Diesel AT SUV. I got my eyes on a 2019 Seltos and a 2020 Creta both AT diesel.
Probably I would go for a TD on both in the days to come.

Lets see, will keep this thread updated, at the same time, solicit advise.
Old 5th September 2022, 10:39   #41
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hi everyone, I was on a longish work trip to Europe for about 1 month now, which had me to hold on to making my decision. Now that I am back, I am back with the diellemas again. I met a Mahindra R&D person back in Frankfurt, who honestly felt I should wait for a proper EV, not a converted one, while its true, but the converted ones even do the job (my daily job). But I have now started looking at once again a 2 year stop gap with a decent Diesel AT SUV. I got my eyes on a 2019 Seltos and a 2020 Creta both AT diesel.
Probably I would go for a TD on both in the days to come.

Lets see, will keep this thread updated, at the same time, solicit advise.
The Creta AT diesel would definitely have the softer suspension and better ride quality whereas the suspension of the Seltos is quite firm, if the roads on which you are travelling are bumpy , the Creta would make a better choice, moreover, Creta's rear seat feels more comfortable than the Seltos, availability of service centers, spares are all better for the Creta, resale value too, Hope you get a good deal and the test drive goes well.
I am also considering the similar engine and gearbox combination, albeit in the smaller Sonet.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 22:16   #42
BHPian

Finally I bit into the butter pill and paid the advance booking amount for the Nexon EV max XZ+ Jet.
As you can see I was in two minds even day before yesterday, and even this morning. But another post once again brought me back to ground reality about unpredictable unscientific behaviour of Indian government officials and their bosses pertaining to Diesel engines and also the ever enticing hunger towards fossil fuel sale and taxation of the same.
I was zero-ing down on a brand new Seltos, diesel AT which would cost me in the ball park of 21 lakh. So 21 lakh for a diesel which would again have me pay about 12k a month for fuel, or 21 lakh for a car with an outgo of about 2/3k a month towards electric expense, which again I have a benefit of utilising my workplace connection too which I won’t need to pay for.
And the catalyst was launching of the lovely bronze shade with the Jet edition. This hit the final nail in the coffin. The options of White, Gray and Blue only for the max was a bummer. As soon as I learnt about the Jet edition, downloaded a pic of the car and sent it over to the wife and mom for approval. Pat came the approval, zoom went the whatsapp to the SA of TC motors Kolkata. Another + was the dealership experience which I was sceptical about and this SA had brought down the car not once but twice on the day and hour of my choice about 35 km away. He had won it that day itself. If I would buy the Nexon EV, it would be definitely through this SA. Hardwork must be rewarded.

Thank you all for giving me this clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Advise needed for daily commute car, EV or something else?-7920ad213c5f440fb40e51ab9dd03da4.jpeg  

Last edited by arpanjha : 6th September 2022 at 22:18.
Old 7th September 2022, 06:58   #43
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Finally I bit into the butter pill and paid the advance booking amount for the Nexon EV max XZ+ Jet.
Thank you all for giving me this clarity.
A wise choice indeed, considering the additional range of the Nexon EV Max and the beautiful jet edition color. Also no more worries about fuel prices!. Glad that you finally ended up making a decision!
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 21:04   #44

Quote:
Dear folks,
I own and use one of the best driving hatchbacks in the country the i20 Active 2016 October registered. I have a daily usage of around 90 kms x 6 days a week and add another 40-50 Km on the Sunday.
Why I need a replacement?
Reason 1: Fuel expense. On an average I end up spending about 12k to 13k a month on Petrol.
Reason 2: Need for an automatic transmission. My drive is a mix of highway & city traffic, where the city traffic portion is terribly slow and irritating. Recently with opening up of the schools and many offices going back offline the traffic is getting from worse to horrible everyday, to such an extent that I push back my departure time from office till 8/8:30 PM when the traffic begins thinning while my work is over around 6 PM. This particular need for an automatic has now recently become priority 1, so much so that I am even willing to try out a pre-owned car for the first time in my driving life of 20-21 yrs.

The dilemma:
I have been eyeing the EV space since long, more so since Nexon EV shook up the Indian car community which was till now lethargic on EV adoption.
Now, like others in India my options boil down to either the Nexon EV/EV Max or ZS EV which has recently become significantly more expensive. Since the last 8-9 months I have been pushing back my decision primarily waiting for a new EV in the market, which seems not practical in another 8-9 months. Now as stated above such is the pathetic traffic that every passing day I think of other options than driving my car to office.
I have started thinking if the EVs currently on offer are out of my budget/not of choice at least let me get a pre-owned Automatic car to fill in the time gap till a decent EV is on offer. Now, buying a pre-owned car has never been an accepted idea in the family, hence it is getting rejected from folks at home. I have now started exploring options of buying either a very good condition used Automatic, or a new small Automatic car Diesel (keeping fuel expense in mind, since they offer at least 3-4 km/l better mileage than the petrol counterparts). Or, book one of the 2 EVs available, filling the budget gap with a loan (which I have started hating the idea of a loan for a car since last 2/3 years).
Looking for sound unbiased advise as always
I have upgraded from Hyundai i10 to BYD E6. But you might consider Atto 3.
ng565 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks