Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2022, 14:01   #1
BHPian

Advise needed for daily commute car, EV or something else?

Dear folks,
I own and use one of the best driving hatchbacks in the country the i20 Active 2016 October registered. I have a daily usage of around 90 kms x 6 days a week and add another 40-50 Km on the Sunday.
Why I need a replacement?
Reason 1: Fuel expense. On an average I end up spending about 12k to 13k a month on Petrol.
Reason 2: Need for an automatic transmission. My drive is a mix of highway & city traffic, where the city traffic portion is terribly slow and irritating. Recently with opening up of the schools and many offices going back offline the traffic is getting from worse to horrible everyday, to such an extent that I push back my departure time from office till 8/8:30 PM when the traffic begins thinning while my work is over around 6 PM. This particular need for an automatic has now recently become priority 1, so much so that I am even willing to try out a pre-owned car for the first time in my driving life of 20-21 yrs.

The dilemma:
I have been eyeing the EV space since long, more so since Nexon EV shook up the Indian car community which was till now lethargic on EV adoption.
Now, like others in India my options boil down to either the Nexon EV/EV Max or ZS EV which has recently become significantly more expensive. Since the last 8-9 months I have been pushing back my decision primarily waiting for a new EV in the market, which seems not practical in another 8-9 months. Now as stated above such is the pathetic traffic that every passing day I think of other options than driving my car to office.
I have started thinking if the EVs currently on offer are out of my budget/not of choice at least let me get a pre-owned Automatic car to fill in the time gap till a decent EV is on offer. Now, buying a pre-owned car has never been an accepted idea in the family, hence it is getting rejected from folks at home. I have now started exploring options of buying either a very good condition used Automatic, or a new small Automatic car Diesel (keeping fuel expense in mind, since they offer at least 3-4 km/l better mileage than the petrol counterparts). Or, book one of the 2 EVs available, filling the budget gap with a loan (which I have started hating the idea of a loan for a car since last 2/3 years).
Looking for sound unbiased advise as always
arpanjha is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 14:30   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Advise needed for daily commute car, EV or something else?

The new Nexon EV with higher range is probably what will be best suited to your needs.
Perhaps you should do a test drive and then decide.
I personally would choose Tata over MG any day.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 18:03   #3
BHPian

I would definitely choose the Nexon EV for your use. As your maximum commute is 90kms a day the range should be more than sufficient for you, no manual transmission and fuel costs to worry about, and it actually pretty fun to drive. It suits your requirements perfectly.
Porcupine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 18:27   #4
BHPian

I am not following the Tata EV cars closely, but I always hear the chatter about Nexon EV? Did you consider Tigor EV?
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 21:26   #5

EV would be a good choice for City for the kind of range they come with. It is because I do not want another car for long highway trips, didn't for EV. If it is largely City use, TATA Nexon EV is definitely a good choice, for its price mainly. The full EV technology is evolving .. so expect more advanced and high range vehicles in near future. I feel it is still too early to invest in an EV. I'd suggest to consider buying Hybrid (at least strong Hybrid) as they can easily handle long distances too.
VALLABHA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 22:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
I would definitely choose the Nexon EV for your use. As your maximum commute is 90kms a day the range should be more than sufficient for you.
Thanks, yes 90Kms a day and I can charge up overnight every alternate day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Did you consider Tigor EV?
I did, but it’s too small for my usage, wheels are very small for my usage. Cabin too doesn’t suit me.
arpanjha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 22:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
I did, but it’s too small for my usage, wheels are very small for my usage. Cabin too doesn’t suit me.
The reason why I asked this question was that you are likely to travel alone to office on most days, and you could use the smaller EV for office commute while retaining your existing car for occasional use when you would need a bigger car. That way you would cut your fuel cost and also reduce your spend on the new car, hopefully within your budget, and avoid the delta loan.

However if you need a bigger car for office commute as well, then this reasoning doesn't work.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 6th July 2022 at 22:38.
ajayc123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 22:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Considering your high odo readings and your daily usage not exceeding 90kms, an EV seems to be a no brainer. However since the cost is still very high, why not consider a CNG car? Will be light on your pocket both in Capex and Opex.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 23:11   #9
BHPian

With the information mentioned in OP, the above suggestions are basis the assumption that there is a proper charging station available at your residence/apartment. If that is not the cases then go for a used diesel automatics like Amaze CVT or Ameo DSG (finding a low run Vento might be a challenge).
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 00:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
The reason why I asked this question was that you are likely to travel alone to office on most days, and you could use the smaller EV for office commute while retaining your existing car for occasional use when you would need a bigger car. That way you would cut your fuel cost and also reduce your spend on the new car, hopefully within your budget, and avoid the delta loan.
My daily drive includes driving upto my employer’s rather unfriendly driving routes out of the city which screams for an SUV like GC or at least bit tyres and a solid chassis. The Tigor EV seems to me too delicate, hence not in my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Considering your high odo readings and your daily usage not exceeding 90kms, an EV seems to be a no brainer. However since the cost is still very high, why not consider a CNG car? Will be light on your pocket both in Capex and Opex.
Old 7th July 2022, 01:08   #11
BHPian

You must test drive a Nissan Magnite Turbo CVT Petrol which has proven track record of SUV like GC and high FE for any turbo petrol in any segment and has several patented technologies with a 4 star GNCAP.

The Wagon R Petrol+CNG combination claims of insane FE but strangely MSIL is not offering automatic on SPresso or WagonR CNGs. But their naturally aspirated Petrol motors in AMT avatar does give respectable FE if you can forego safety.

If Nexon EV is out of budget then above options work best for you.
Old 7th July 2022, 02:52   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no point going for a basic automatic hatch today, and then replacing it with an EV in a few months. Your usage is tailor made for EV, and that is the route you should take.

As your budget is limited, you should reconsider your aversions to the Tigor EV. It’s electric drivetrain is a lot better implemented than the basic Nexon EV - regen is better judged and the drive is overall smoother and more natural. If it is the Nexon, it has to be the Max. The improvements and additions are critical and are well worth the price difference. The base ZS EV exists only on paper, so discussion about that is moot at this time.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 09:16   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

You need Diesel Automatic for that sort of running. While I do not suggest going the used car route if it's possible, sometimes it is unavoidable. Be ready to pay more for a well maintained vehicle that needs minimum maintenance, with a work schedule like that down times are really not acceptable.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 12:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
There is no point going for a basic automatic hatch today, and then replacing it with an EV in a few months. Your usage is tailor made for EV, and that is the route you should take.

As your budget is limited, you should reconsider your aversions to the Tigor EV. It’s electric drivetrain is a lot better implemented than the basic Nexon EV - regen is better judged and the drive is overall smoother and more natural. If it is the Nexon, it has to be the Max. The improvements and additions are critical and are well worth the price difference. The base ZS EV exists only on paper, so discussion about that is moot at this time.
I will take a test drive of the Tigor, but as I said, I have to move between my company's different factories, which are on the outskirts with bad roads and no roads during monsoon. There lies my aversion to small GC cars. At present this duty is performed by my i20 active, but during monsoons I am really scared, although till date nothing has happened, but I do not have confidence in a low GC car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
You need Diesel Automatic for that sort of running. While I do not suggest going the used car route if it's possible, sometimes it is unavoidable. Be ready to pay more for a well maintained vehicle that needs minimum maintenance, with a work schedule like that down times are really not acceptable.
You judged it bang on, down time both for my car and me is not acceptable. Let me search for a decent AT Diesel, else will have to take the route to the Nexon max maybe with a small loan.
In the meantime, will also try out the Tigor without prejudice.
Old 7th July 2022, 12:31   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Unbiased advise needed for daily commute car

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
I will take a test drive of the Tigor, but as I said, I have to move between my company's different factories, which are on the outskirts with bad roads and no roads during monsoon. There lies my aversion to small GC cars. At present this duty is performed by my i20 active, but during monsoons I am really scared, although till date nothing has happened, but I do not have confidence in a low GC car.
The GC of Tigor EV is not low at all. It is very practical, the car doesn’t scrape easily. Plus, the EV drivetrain is inherently more resilient for going through water logged roads - water wading depth is better than most ICE compact SUVs. Do give it a good hard look. If you are not satisfied, go for the Max straightaway.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks