Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car to replace my Swift?
Tata Punch 18 20.00%
Honda Amaze 64 71.11%
Other 8 8.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 18:28   #16
BANNED

Re: Tata Punch v/s Honda Amaze, to replace my Swift

I would like to propose another alternative, why not the Toyota Urban Cruiser Mid-Grade AT, it has a proper Torque converter Automatic transmission although only 4-speed, reasonable feature list,4-star NCAP rating as well but the price is 12.00 lakhs on-road in Mumbai, but you could get hefty discounts considering its going to be phased out soon.

P.S. I know opting for a rebadged version of the Vitara Brezza isn't ideal but at least you get all your bases covered.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 19:13   #17
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Once you remove the moniker SUV from Punch, it will be easy to select Amaze from the options listed. I recently did a trip in Amaze and Honda didn't disappoint.

If your preference/need is high driver seating, you need to rule out sedans and pickup Crossovers (aka SUV) only.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 19:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeparvathy9 View Post
I would like to propose another alternative, why not the Toyota Urban Cruiser Mid-Grade AT,
I was actually thinking about it today. Let me see how it stacks up and if I can get some discounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
If your preference/need is high driver seating, you need to rule out sedans and pickup Crossovers (aka SUV) only.
Thanks a lot. I think you can see the front of the hood in the Amaze, so that is an added advantage as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Hence, looking the points above, I would say get a used Jazz CVT.
Thanks for the suggestion, I have had my eye on Jazz for a while, however I just cant get myself to like the way the Jazz looks. Besides, its again in hatchback category, so its out.

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th July 2022 at 21:10. Reason: Back to Back posts merged.
Old 25th July 2022, 20:01   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
For such low running(1200-1300kms a year) do you really need a new car? Even if you do I would still suggest looking for a used car rather than plonking 10 big ones for any new car.

But still if you are adamant on new, Amaze would be my pick among the two. CVT over AMT anyday.
This is my first post on this fourm.
A few days back, I was exactly in the same position. I was using a Maruti Estilo for nearly 14 years. At one time my running was about 2000 km per month, but it had come down to about 100 km per month. The car, with all its limitations, had served me and my small family well for all those years, but of late I found myself looking at steeper and steeper maintenance bills. Finally I decided to sell the car. I was wondering if I needed a car at all, especially now that the metro work in Mumbai is progressing fast, and, on the other hand, driving on Mumbai roads becoming more and more of a pain in a certain part of anatomy!
We all had a detailed discussion on the subject. One argument that clinched the deal was that it's better to have a personal transport - something we learned during the lockdowns.
We went in for a new car. That part I plan to cover in another post.
RajendraS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 20:17   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzt View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I have had my eye on Jazz for a while, however I just cant get myself to like the way the Jazz looks. Besides, its again in hatchback category, so its out.
It's a hatchback, but drive it once. I tried a friend's 2012 Jazz and really liked it. ( I had helped him with the PDI when he bought it then, but checked it out again recently when we met). Looks are important, but once we are inside, the external looks are secondary
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 20:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajendraS View Post
One argument that clinched the deal was that it's better to have a personal transport - something we learned during the lockdowns.
First of all welcome to the forum. Wish you a great time here

Secondly same pinch. Even I had an Estilo for 8.5 years before bangalore traffic forced me to get an automatic in 2019. However my question was on the need of a 'NEW' car and not personal transport per say. I am a huge advocate of having atleast 1 car in family always due to situations like covid and unreliable cab aggregators(what with ola/uber cancelling rides like crazy lately). Since OP's usage is ultra low(100ish kms a month), I would suggest a used car rather than a new one and taking depreciation hit(first 2-3 years depreciation is the highest). Rest for peace of mind nothing beats a new car ofcourse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzt View Post
Well jazz is actually roomier on the inside compared to the so-called sedan Amaze. Only boot space of amaze is a little bigger(66L extra as per honda). Its basically a 4th gen City minus the boot but then I understand the emotions our market has with the 3 box form factor

Last edited by SoumenD : 25th July 2022 at 20:40.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:32   #22
BHPian

Going against the tide, I suggest Punch or any high ground clearance compact SUV. Reasons being frequent water logging in our cities in every mansoon season, good visibility due to high seating etc.
AMT in general is very easy to use, just drive like a manual, keep lifting your foot on accelerator for a while during gear changes and there is no jerk.
Punch is better suited for your requirement than Amaze.
AGupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:34   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Well both cars IMO are a bit neither here nor there type. The Amaze diesel CVT would be a great proposition (not sure if its still available in reality) if you can stretch the budget. Otherwise it looks a bit like toy cars from some angles & isn't exactly high on performance etc.

The Punch - well the styling is not to my liking but thats individual choices. The engine isn't very refined but is quite reliable. Driving position is definitely better than that of the Amaze, especially if your regular driving is in city confines.

If I was shopping - I'm quite sure I'd not be going for either of the two! My picks would be -
  1. Tata Altroz DCA
  2. Renault Kiger CVT Turbo
But then - you have already ruled out the Kiger/Magnite. The Altroz is a wonderful car drive or travel in. Especially if motion-sickness is a concern - this probably is one of the best cabins on this side of 10 lakhs to be in. A good DCT on offer, certified 5 star safety. I think its worth extending the budget (small difference in EMI terms, and absolutely no big deal if you keep your cars long term). A compromise today, makes you miss some features 4 years later.

If you eventually are open for a compromise with AMT - I'd instead go for the Tiago XZA/XZA+ (instead of the Punch) - get all the bells and whistles & save a fair bit for petrol. Its a fantastic little car which serves most regular usage patterns. (Of course may not seem like a step up from the Swift per se. I'm talking only on practicality terms.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Punch AMT was painful to drive in traffic, like going to the dentist.

Last edited by Reinhard : 26th July 2022 at 12:36.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:51   #24
BHPian

For around 10 lacs, you can get a nearly new Brezza vxi AT on platforms like cars24 and spinny. Or you can try to get a new one from Toyota, as many Toyota dealers have UC stock with them. I’m saying this because I feel Brezza is the best suited for you. Punch is pricey, amt is jerky and at the end of the day is a hatch. Amaze though is a much better option.
Old 26th July 2022, 13:26   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGupta View Post
Going against the tide, I suggest Punch or any high ground clearance compact SUV. Reasons being frequent water logging in our cities in every mansoon season, good visibility due to high seating etc.
AMT in general is very easy to use, just drive like a manual, keep lifting your foot on accelerator for a while during gear changes and there is no jerk.
Punch is better suited for your requirement than Amaze.
100%!. A micro SUV like Punch is any day better on our roads than a road-hugging sedan. Other factors like AMT, CVT are all things that we get used to in just a few days. The AMT is portrayed as the worst auto in the history of automobiles . As mentioned above, it is just a matter of a few days of driving and you will not even remember what is inside the gearbox.
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 19:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeparvathy9 View Post
I would like to propose another alternative, why not the Toyota Urban Cruiser.
Well, this is what I actually did. The GC was the clincher for UC.
Capri89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 20:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Its basically a 4th gen City minus the boot but then I understand the emotions our market has with the 3 box form factor
Thanks for the feedback. I dont have anything against hatchbacks in general, it is just that I dont like how the Jazz looks. But I will check it out in the showroom for sure!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGupta View Post
That is a very interesting insight. I will try this out during the test drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If I was shopping - I'm quite sure I'd not be going for either of the two! My picks would be -
  • Tata Altroz DCA
  • Renault Kiger CVT Turbo
Firstly - Big Fan!. Thanks a lot for the feedback .
Secondly, My concerns with these two cars is -
  • Tata Altroz DCA - untested wet-clutch DCT under Indian conditions. I want a stress free tried-n-tested car, so I am afraid of getting a white elephant.
  • Renault Kiger CVT Turbo - in some of the threads its mentioned that Turbos are more complex, costlier to maintain & have low FE. Given my sparse driving (10K in 7yrs), will the car lying around cause issues with the Turbo? Plus Kiger does not Hill Hold & this variant is beyond my stretch budget of 11Lac
Plz let me know if you feel I am evaluating this the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Well, this is what I actually did. The GC was the clincher for UC.
GC for Amaze is 170mm which is amongst the highest in sedans if I am not wrong.
hanzt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 20:34   #28
BHPian

My 2 cents.

Having owned two Amaze in the family (father and me), one of them being S CVT Petrol which we bought just recently, I can give you a fare idea about the vehicle.

Let's get few things cleared.

Amaze CVT is smooth, butter smooth. Easy to drive, park(compact size) and no blind spots as such.

AMTs are jerky, period! Ofcourse you can live with them but then AMTs are prone to fail as well. Couple of Nexon's and Maruties that failed are on this forum itself.

Ground clearance is not an issue. Upgraded S CVT to 185/60 R15 and I can swear it has not touched even once on any of the speadbrakers from Amritsar till Noida(3k KMs done so far).

Honda is a reliable brand and hardly we hear any service woes on online forums baring few exceptions here and there. Tata is full of those. Good products but let down by service centres.

In no way I want to sound fanboy, but yes after going through number of test drives, 100 of YouTube reviews, I couldn't find a better automatic vehicle under 8.5 ex showroom.

And S-Cvt has all the necessary features. Happy shopping.

Note:-Only other car that I would have preferred If I had the cash(in my case we had to take loan) was POLO GT Tsi At-TC Gearbox. If you can find one at 7-8 Lacs there is nothing like it.
Hispaniola is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 20:58   #29
BHPian

I would suggest either Amaze CVT or Jazz CVT. Understand that you do not prefer Jazz due to its looks, but try test driving both of them and then decide. Jazz rear seats are perched slightly higher(which will help the ingress a bit, especially if you have aged parents), and the cabin is overall roomier than amaze. Except the engine, everything in the interior of Jazz is almost similar to the 4th gen City. However do not expect the performance similar to Swift ZXI from both of these. Swift 1.3 was a pocket rocket and Honda 1.2 is more suited for relaxed/sedate driving. We do have a 2013 1st gen Amaze. While it is may not be not as solid as the punch or Nexon, the interiors are better put together than a Maruti. There are still no major rattles even after 9 years of usage.
sreejithkk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 23:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispaniola View Post
My 2 cents.
Having owned two Amaze in the family (father and me), one of them being S CVT Petrol which we bought just recently, I can give you a fare idea about the vehicle.
Thanks a lot. I took the test drive today on the VX variant, and one thing I sorely missed was the horn!. In the Swift, the horn buttons are on the outer side, so I just need to move my thumbs to honk. But here, the horn is only in the middle of the steering wheel, so in order to honk I need to move my hand from the steering wheel to the center and honk. I find this to be not only inconvenient, but also a safety hazard as I have to leave the steering wheel (albeit just one hand, but still).
Can you plz share your thoughts on whether you found this inconvenient as well, and how did you overcome it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejithkk View Post
However do not expect the performance similar to Swift ZXI from both of these. Swift 1.3 was a pocket rocket and Honda 1.2 is more suited for relaxed/sedate driving.
Haha, I did notice that today. It is definitely NOT a pedal to the metal kind of car. My 17yr old Swift felt peppier
hanzt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks