Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car to replace my Swift?
Tata Punch 18 20.00%
Honda Amaze 64 71.11%
Other 8 8.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2022, 23:19   #1
BHPian

Tata Punch v/s Honda Amaze, to replace my Swift | Update - Chose Urban Cruiser!

Yes, I know, I know, its an apples-oranges comparison, one is a micro-SUV, the other a compact-Sedan, but allow me to explain how I ended up here:

Context:
I have a 16yr old 2nd hand Swift ZXI that I had bought 7 yrs ago to learn driving & it has been our first car in the family. The car is still running fine (goes 100+km/hr at <3000 RPM no issues), but there is something or the other part that keeps breaking down & I cant get myself to drive a manual through city (Mumbai) traffic anymore.

What I am looking for:
  • An automatic transmission car
  • Low maintenance, hassle free car, as my running is going to be very low (10K km in 7years of owning the Swift)
  • Good Fuel Efficiency
  • Prefer a C-SUV, but I am open to others
  • Definitely NOT a hatchback anymore

Work done so far:
Although I am a 'newbie' here but I feel part of this community since I have been reading the various threads extensively here for the last 1-2 years, learning & understanding about cars and what they offer.

Options considered:
Nexon XMA:
  • This one was love at first sight.
  • However the issues - it's an AMT, very low FE, concerns of Tata service, maintenance of the turbo-engine (given that my running is very low), the small rear-seat mirrors could cause motion-sickness for my wife & daughter who suffer from it, the XMA variant has limited features but still has on-road price of 10.85Lac

Brezza VXI AT:
  • Love the look and feel of the car.
  • However they have priced it ridiculously. The new Brezzza VXI AT is coming 13++Lac on-road. I would have bought it in a heart-beat if it was a ~11Lac on-road.

Mangite CVT:
  • Looks very similar to the Swift to me, like a Swift with a big Grille. Plus the fate of Nissan & the feedback on its service, it is ruled out

Kiger CVT:
  • Not interested in AMT option as I would rather prefer Nexon for AMT. The CVT is going ~11.5Lac, so too expensive, and has less safety features than Nexon

Sonet / Venue:
  • Smaller space than Nexon, a lot more expensive and questionable safety ratings
  • The imT tech is untested for reliability and DCT variants are too expensive & have reliability issues in Indian weather

Punch Adventure + Rhythm Pack:
  • Looks very similar to Nexon/Harrier, has handsome sturdy looks
  • The adventure + Rhythm pack has most of the features I would care about
  • Price on road is 9Lac, which seems like very good value for Money
  • However the issues - it's an AMT, concerns of Tata service, does not have safety features - HH, TC, ESP, BA that Nexon has! (wonder why they compromised on it, and yet it is 5 star rated), narrow rear seat for 5 adults to sit comfortably.

Amaze CVT Petrol S or VX Variants:
  • Although it's a sedan, but it still has a muscular look to it (I dare say like a Ford Mustang GT)
  • very refined CVT engine. VX variant comes with paddle-shifters, good FE numbers
  • Price on road is 9.8Lac for S variant, and ~11lac for VX variant which has all the features
  • Larger boot space & Honda's longer warranties.

Now one might say that if Sedans are an option, then why not other sedans - Dzire (Swift with a booth, so no), Aura/Aspire (didnt like the looks + AMT), City (beyond budget).

New Honda Compact SUV
  • Honda is coming up with a new compact-SUV (news article here) but I am not sure if I should even wait for it
  • I am guessing it will be priced like the new Brezza - > 11Lac, making it too pricey for my low usage

Thus after going through 100+ threads/posts on Team-BHP site and other online reviews/videos, I have ended up with a two-way fight between Amaze & Punch, with Nexon still being the first-love.

So far, I have scheduled a test drive for the Amaze, and waiting on the Tata dealer to call me back for test drive of the Punch/Nexon

Any thoughts or suggestions from fellow BHPians on the above, and how I should go about this further given my low usage ?
hanzt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 02:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Punch v/s Honda Amaze, to replace my Swift

For such low running(1200-1300kms a year) do you really need a new car? Even if you do I would still suggest looking for a used car rather than plonking 10 big ones for any new car.

But still if you are adamant on new, Amaze would be my pick among the two. CVT over AMT anyday.
SoumenD is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 05:39   #3
BANNED

Considering that you don't want a hatchback and would rather prefer a C-SUV or a sedan and have narrowed down to Tata Punch, Honda Amaze and Tata Nexon, I would like to put in the following on each one of them:

1. Tata Punch
1. Has a 1.2 litre 3-cylinder NA petrol engine putting out 84 bhp of power and 113 nm of torque.
2. Has a 5-speed AMT gearbox
3. Smallest with regard to length and wheelbase among the three. Has the height of an SUV and 187 mm of ground clearance
4. 5-star NCAP rating.

2. Honda Amaze
1. Has a 1.2 litre 4-cylinder NA petrol engine putting out 89 bhp of power and 110 nm of torque,
2. A smooth CVT gearbox.
3. Similar in length to Nexon, 2470 mm of wheelbase sits right in between the Punch and the Nexon. 170 mm of ground clearance
4. 4-star NCAP rating.

3. Tata Nexon
1. Has a 1.2 litre 3-cylinder Turbocharged petrol engine putting out 118 bhp of power and 170 nm of torque.
2. Has a 6-speed AMT gearbox
3. Similar in length to the Amaze, 2500 mm of wheelbase and tall SUV stance with 209 mm of ground clearance.
4. 5-star NCAP rating.

Now considering you don't clock too many kilometers on your car and want a hassle-free ownership experience with the convenience of a CVT automatic, the Honda Amaze is your best option.

If you are into the power and torque of the Nexon and don't ever want the feeling that your vehicle is underpowered, you may choose the Nexon, albeit the base model with bare bones feature list.

The Tata Punch is somewhat similarly powered like the Amaze but is a micro-SUV falling below the Nexon in the Tata lineup, neither does it have the power and torque of the Nexon nor a smooth shifting CVT like the Amaze, it's a smaller vehicle too.

If you are going with the Amaze, I prefer you go with the VX CVT with all the bells and whistles like bigger 15-inch alloy wheels, rear-view camera, LED headlights, Rear defogger, touchscreen infotainment system, steering mounted controls etc.

If you indeed plan to go with the Punch, I recommend you go with the Creative AMT and get all the bells and whistles as well.

If you plan on going with the Nexon, considering your budget, the XMA is the only model you can go with priced at 10.85 lakhs on-road with an AMT. You would then have to spend more on accessories and aftermarket fitments though.

If you want my opinion on the same, I will gladly bring back home an Amaze considering the Honda reliability and smooth CVT gearbox.

Last edited by itsmeparvathy9 : 25th July 2022 at 05:43.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 10:03   #4
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the prompt feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
For such low running(1200-1300kms a year) do you really need a new car? Even if you do I would still suggest looking for a used car rather than plonking 10 big ones for any new car.

But still if you are adamant on new, Amaze would be my pick among the two. CVT over AMT anyday.
I agree with you completely. But I also feel that my low running is a bit of chicken-n-egg story - I dread taking the car out for city runs dreading the traffic in a manual. Also, my wife is not confident with manual too. With an automatic, I feel my running might go up a bit, as I wont be so stressed of city traffic & my wife will drive it too.
Additionally, my 7 yr experience with the used car - Swift ZXI - to sum it up - the car is now a Frankenstein, with so many of its parts replaced over the years. Although the engine is still awesome, but every now and then something or the other breaks down / wears out (despite regular service). I want piece of mind now. Another used car with same anxiety & hassles, is not something I would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeparvathy9 View Post
Now considering you don't clock too many kilometers on your car and want a hassle-free ownership experience with the convenience of a CVT automatic, the Honda Amaze is your best option.

If you want my opinion on the same, I will gladly bring back home an Amaze considering the Honda reliability and smooth CVT gearbox.
Thanks a lot for the details, really appreciate it.
Regarding the Punch, isnt it the same engine as the Nexon but just minus the turbo charger? I am actually okay with an NA engine as its simpler to maintain, better FE and I guess AMT jerks will be lesser ? The key drawbacks are the smaller size/space, 5 vs 6 gear AMT, right?
Plz correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Also, the Creative variant feels over priced, the addon features arent something of value. It loses its main advantage over the others - cheaper price tag.
Old 25th July 2022, 10:45   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzt View Post
Thanks a lot for the prompt feedback.
Thanks a lot for the details, really appreciate it.
Regarding the Punch, isnt it the same engine as the Nexon but just minus the turbo charger? I am actually okay with an NA engine as its simpler to maintain, better FE and I guess AMT jerks will be lesser ? The key drawbacks are the smaller size/space, 5 vs 6 gear AMT, right?
Plz correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Also, the Creative variant feels over priced, the addon features arent something of value. It loses its main advantage over the others - cheaper price tag.
Yes, it is the same engine as the Nexon, with Nexon having a turbocharger.
The gearbox has a slight difference with the Punch having a 5-speed AMT and the Nexon having a 6-speed AMT. The NA engine is simpler and yes has better Fuel economy.

Yes, the drawbacks are the smaller size/space and the number of gears.

So, if you are OK with these drawbacks, the Punch seems to be a better value for money purchase than the Nexon.

Now as far as the Punch and Amaze are concerned:

1. Form Factor: Sedan vs. SUV

2. Transmission: CVT vs. AMT with CVT being superior

3. Power and Torque: More or less the same

4. NVH: The Amaze being a 4 cylinder is more refined than the Punch

5. Space and Practicality: The Amaze is longer with greater wheelbase whereas the Punch has more headroom due to greater height, you should physically check out which one you prefer.

6. Ground Clearance: The Punch has more Ground clearance (187 mm) than the Amaze (170 mm)

7. Boot Space: The Amaze has 420 litres of Boot space as compared to 366 litres of boot space in the Punch.

8. Wheel Size: The Punch has 185 / 70 R15 steel rims in the Adventure Rythm pack and 195 / 60 R16 alloys in the Creative variant whereas the Amaze has 175 / 65 R14 steel rims in the S variant and 175 / 65 R15 alloys in the VX variant.

9. Safety: 4-star NCAP in the Amaze vs. 5-star NCAP in the Punch. The Amaze has Hill Hold Control in both its variants which the Punch doesn't have. Reverse Camera is available in the Punch Adventure Rythm variant and onwards which the Honda S CVT misses out on.

10. Touchscreen: The Punch offers the same whereas the Amaze S CVT misses out on the same.

11. Warranty: The Amaze has a 3-year warranty whereas the Punch offers a 2-year warranty.

Kindly do the Test Drives of both the vehicles and finalize.

Hope it helps!
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 10:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeparvathy9 View Post

Hope it helps!
Thanks a lot, it surely helps. Looks like all my research hasn't been in vain afterall.

Regarding the Amaze S variant, the dealer said he can add the touchscreen+rear camera, replace halogen with LED bulbs for about 40-50K which would bring it to about 10.5L on road v/s the VX which I am trying to get him down to below 11lac.

The only frustrating part about the Amaze rear camera is that it does not have those red-guidelines that move/turn as you turn the steering wheel. I am not sure how much of an issue that is. I am guessing it will be when parking between tight spaces.

I will be test driving both these cars in coming weeks.
Old 25th July 2022, 11:13   #7
BHPian

Amaze seems like a really good option given your scenario. Its resale value will also be on the higher side.
rishi.roger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 12:58   #8
BHPian

Between Amaze and punch I'll advise you to go for Amaze, because of CVT which be a lot smoother than Amt, Also CVT will be more reliable than AMT in long term. Pls go for top variant difference only 1L, you get alloys, led headlight, led tail lights, touch screen display, button start and many more.
SanjayW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 14:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayW View Post
Between Amaze and punch I'll advise you to go for Amaze, because of CVT which be a lot smoother than Amt, Also CVT will be more reliable than AMT in long term. Pls go for top variant difference only 1L, you get alloys, led headlight, led tail lights, touch screen display, button start and many more.
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

But, I have always wanted to ask - what is the deal with alloy wheels? Why are they considered better than the usual steel ones ?
hanzt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 15:01   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Punch v/s Honda Amaze, to replace my Swift

While the CVT is one of the smoothest AT gearboxes on sale, the AMT is the jerkiest. Having driven both, I can tell you to go for the Amaze CVT. The Punch AMT was painful to drive in traffic, like going to the dentist.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 15:13   #11
Team-BHP Support

Jeez, I wish the questions in my exams were this easy!

Between the two, go for the Amaze eyes closed. My BIL bought one "recently" (it has done 7k kms in 3 years) and he couldn't be happier. Unless you want to wait, cross all twenty fingers and hope against hope that the mild hybrid of Grand Vitara is priced well, it is a no-brainer.
Eddy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 15:18   #12
BHPian

Amaze any day . Proven engine + decent rear bench + boot space for that occasional family trips. fits perfectly
Dieseltuned is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 15:28   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

But, I have always wanted to ask - what is the deal with alloy wheels? Why are they considered better than the usual steel ones ?
Steel rims are better for pricing, durability in offroading, and in general ease of repair.

But they don't look good and may rust eventually, no amount of wheel cover will make it look as good as alloys.
Also they're a bit heavier compared to alloys.
High quality alloys, generally the ones fitted by manufacturer are of good quality and don't easily crack. But cheaper alloys should be avoided because they're prone to cracks and thus leakage.
rishi.roger is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 16:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While the CVT is one of the smoothest AT gearboxes on sale, the AMT is the jerkiest. Having driven both, I can tell you to go for the Amaze CVT. The Punch AMT was painful to drive in traffic, like going to the dentist.
Thank you for the feedback. But between all the other AMTs out there, how does the Punch AMT stand? Is it better than the others?
BTW - you posting on my query is a big fanboy moment for me. In all my research on this site across various threads, I always look forward to posts by you, Reinhard, and few others. I have learnt a lot about cars simply by reading your posts (despite having driven only one car in my life )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Unless you want to wait, cross all twenty fingers and hope against hope that the mild hybrid of Grand Vitara is priced well, it is a no-brainer.
Grand Vitara, Hyrider are not C-SUV category right, they are all over 4m. I am actually keeping an eye on the Honda C-SUV that was posted here some time back. But i dont think they are going to price it <11Lac on-road, and God knows when it will launch in India. What do you think ?

But if I may pick both your brains a bit more - what are your thoughts on the other cars I mentioned in my post above? Do you agree with my assessment based on my requirements, or have I made an error in Judgement for any of them? Any guidance would be immensely appreciated
hanzt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 17:08   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
what are your thoughts on the other cars I mentioned in my post above?
I dont see much to pick from your assessment there. End of the day, peace-of-mind is important. I will happily go in for a Tata if I like a model. But when you have that doubt at the back of your mind, I wouldnt suggest it for you.

Hence, looking the points above, I would say get a used Jazz CVT. The model is what you have liked, and a used one will be in line for the quantity of usage. Even if you use it regularly, I still dont see a running more than 600 km a month in city. Once you get more comfortable and your running increases , you can go for a new one. By then we should see more cars that are proper automatics and not just AMT.

Last edited by condor : 25th July 2022 at 17:10.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks