Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2022, 17:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Confused over buying a demo Hyundai Venue, need advice on DCT behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarG View Post
Warranty: 1 year from the date of purchase, and not extendable (company policy on demo cars, they said). This is a sour point...
I don't think I am comfortable with the warranty being offered. What is this warranty for a regular car vs demo car nonsense?

In my case I picked up a 11 month old showroom demo car. My warranty started the day I took possession of the car - full fat 3 years warranty, whereas I was thinking I am glad I at least have 2 years of warranty left. It was needless to say, a vey pleasant surprise. Car in question - Fiat Linea Tjet.

Demo cars aren't taboo - shoddy warranty policies on the other hand -definitely to be stayed away from.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th July 2022 at 22:50. Reason: Please quote only relevant parts of a post. Thanks.
sai_ace is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 18:34   #17
BHPian

A big NO without extended warranty for a "DCT" "DEMO" car.
DCT is known for its notoriety and buying an abused car without the maximum warranty period is a ticking time bomb. I also doubt the authenticity of the dealer's claim about this policy of only a 1-year warranty from Hyundai for demo cars. A warranty is a warranty irrespective of whether is it a demo car or a customer's car.
Additionally, you mentioned some minor paint-work in the car. Are you sure it is just minor work? I doubt this as well (due to the dealer's claim about the warranty).
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 19:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Any demo car is subject to abuse and frequent accidents. In my own experience, I visited showroom to test drive Creta and couldn't get hold of it as the dealer kept saying it was in the repair shop. The day it came out of the service, they sent to my place and it was missing ICE unit!
On the return journey, SA met with an accident so the car was again sent to repairs. That happened in front of me, so I can imagine how frequently it can happen at any other time. If your dealer is claiming no or minor accident, please take it with a pinch of salt. You can't tell from one look whether it had any body work done.

In your case, you are streching your budget already and assuming you are going to keep car for a long time, I'd advise against going for demo car unless you trust the dealer and have perosnal rapport with him. It being a DCT doesn't give me confidence to recommend you otherwise.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 27th July 2022 at 19:13.
Aviator_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 19:26   #19
BHPian

No, Avoid this offer.

1 year warranty is too low any car and For a complex tech like Turbo petrol and DCT, its a big NO.

The amount you save now might end up paying for repairs.

Look AMT model of punch, or even buy a used venue from genuine buyers.
tiagoatrix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 22:31   #20
BHPian

No, please avoid this vehicle like the plague.

A DCT, a demo car and dealer's excuses of Hyundai disallowing warranty are all warning signs as mentioned by experts here.

By the way, could you please name the dealer? I can drop in and enquire about the same as a new customer 😊
eyedocgb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 22:41   #21
BHPian

For a short term, this is a good deal. The car is fairly new plus with a one year warranty.
You won't get a better deal now a days since market is having scarcity of good cars in second hand market.
AGupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 09:58   #22
BHPian

My suggestion would be to avoid this car. Reasons are as follows
1. Demo cars are seriously abused cars. I myself was guilty of doing this when I was a fairly new driver and had gone for multiple test drives with family when we were hunting for a car. When I can abuse, I would assume the worst case and say everyone abuses the demo cars.
2. Warranty of just one year. They say company policy on demo cars. Well they just answered your question right there with that statement. The company knows how badly maintained demo cars are so no point giving warranty in such conditions.
3. DCT gearbox. Well there are no competent FNGs who could fix AMTs and TC gearbox right now in India so you can forget about DCT so replacing it would be six figures easy and top that with no good FNG support at your place so minor repairs would also be a pain for you.
4. Lack of peace of mind over the car being a reliable workhorse for you.
Laidbackakki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 11:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedocgb View Post
By the way, could you please name the dealer? I can drop in and enquire about the same as a new customer 😊
Would you? Thanks.

Dealer is Oja Hyundai, Basistha Branch.
Old 28th July 2022, 11:09   #24
BHPian

My advice would be to drop this car unless you have a minimum warranty of 3 years especially since its a DCT. Warranty should be non-negotiable, if the car is really in a good condition and if you are so keen in the car, you can choose to pay 50% of the extended warranty. Just my thoughts.
VNair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 10:50   #25
BHPian

My opinion is to go for it if you find the car to be mechanically sound. Contrary to popular belief, I believe that most test drivers will generally drive the car gingerlly because they are not used to the new cars power and steering. Some test drivers might have put the pedal to the metal but the DCT would have changed gears at predefined levels which will be within spec of the gear box and engine. I would more considered about the suspension and wheel alignment, balancing because this what the general test driver will not be careful about. They would intentionally drive the car at speeds over bumps and potholes. So if the suspension is good and the price is right, go for it.
vaibhavyagnik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 12:23   #26
BHPian

My two cents. Please walk away if you can. The Hyundai DCTs are not what you call the choice of transmission for peace of mind. The rest is up to what your mind says after all.
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 12:49   #27
BHPian

I test drove the venue soon after it was initially launched. Being a Hyundai customer already, they brought the test drive car on the day the showroom got the car for me. The odo was disconnected in that car, as I understood when none of the dials were working.

Being a DCT, it is a strict NO, if you don't get at least 3 years warranty.

Also, expect engine failures, since TD cars go through a lot of short spins, and they don't follow the idling rule and go for Hard Shutdowns.
Turbo will fail sooner or later.

Unless you are prepared with the hassles of a demo car + turbo failure + DCT failure from your own pocket, this car is a NO from my side as well
ron82x3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 13:52   #28
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I suggest staying away.
Firstly many people treat the demo cars as a testing kit for their driving skills and hence most of the time these vehicles are very abusive. Secondly, it is DCT (we all know about reliability issues of the same). ODO tempering is a very common practice in showrooms for demo cars. If you still sold your heart on it, I suggest taking it to some reliable service center (external one) and checking mechanically. Don't know whether showroom people will allow this, but try.

Regards
satish.gawai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 14:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Stay away, the 7800 kms could have been turned back, for all you know it may have been 17800 kms or even more, all speedo can be clocked and the car would have been abused being a demo car and is a generation old now as the new one is out. I'd never go for a demo car however sweet the deal.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 14:45   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarG View Post
Warranty: 1 year from the date of purchase, and not extendable (company policy on demo cars, they said). This is a sour point.
This is a deal breaker. Walk away. I'd not recommend a DCT without the max possible warranty coverage no matter what carmaker.

At first, I thought the price was good and the warranty would cover the risks. But if they themselves aren't sure of its long-term reliability, then this is a red flag. I might buy a car without an extended warranty from a manufacturer offering 7-10 year warranties. It just shows their confidence in their quality of engineering and production.
MaheshY1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks