Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2022, 15:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Confused over buying a demo Hyundai Venue, need advice on DCT behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarG View Post
Hi folks! I had been looking precisely for a used AT (not AMT) car within 5-6 lakhs for quite sometime. However, my current location being Guwahati, it is very, very difficult to find a used AT car here. Only examples available are used Honda Citys that are sold exclusively by the used car dealer network with high profit margins. Considering these, I decided to take a loan and increase my budget to 8L or so, so that I could accommodate a City of decent condition.
Hi Bhaskar,

I have owned a demo hyundai i 20 diesel for five years after acquiring it. My observations are:
1. Do not rely on odometer reading, it is invariably tempered. My car had higher spares replacement than average, though engine was perfectly fine. You must include AC compressor, Gearbox/Clutch replacement and other regular wear and tear replacements frequency on the higher side initially.

2. I was provided extended warranty but my regular warranty had started from the date of manufacture itself. You need to confirm with Hyundai India both for the provision of extended warranty and the date of start of the regular one.

My advice: Go ahead only if you are provided with an extended warranty and if you are comfortable with higher frequency of parts replacement atleast initially.

regards
fawad0222 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 15:59   #32
BHPian

I think it is quite clear from offered warranty that they don’t have any confidence in the car. One year warranty is nothing. In my opinion, this is a highly risky deal.
cryptarchy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 18:42   #33
BHPian

I think it’s a good deal. If the odometer is not tampered, a low reading Hyundai should be reliable even if abused as a test drive car. DCTs are not reliable in India, but that’s a gamble you have to take. DCT would still be unreliable in a new car also.
The only fly in the ointment is the warranty, bargain hard for warranty even if you have to pay extra.
midazolam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 18:48   #34
Senior - BHPian

TL;DR great price, shitty warranty.

Ask the dealer nicely if they can budge on the warranty. If they do, the risk to reward is pretty good in this case.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 21:46   #35
BHPian

DCT with no extended warranty is enough a recipe to reject this car. Period.
steadfast is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 21:58   #36
BHPian

Given everything that you have shared, including the warranty period, I would value the car only at INR 5 lakh, with the rest of 3 lakh being kept aside in a FD for engine overhaul and DCT replacement. You would need another 2 lakh for minor repairs and the loss of price as a second owner, which brings the overall cost at par with the current market price for a similar, pre owned Venue.

PS: I will never buy a demo car for the simple reason that no dealer will agree with my valuation method!!

Last edited by Quoter : 29th July 2022 at 22:01. Reason: Typo error
Quoter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 22:11   #37
BHPian

New Venue with same model costs around Rs.14Lakh OTR. So you are effectively getting over Rs5L discount on a 1yr old vehicle

For this bulky discount I'll suggest you to go ahead with the deal. Heck you even have 1 year warranty. So buy it and 1st year use it thoroughly so any issues can be ironed out in warranty

In case from year 2 you face any troubles you can sell it and get similar price back. So net net it's a great deal. All the best

Edit: Remember to bargain further on pricing and warranty. Also remember that hyundais generally have higher maintenance. All in all its a must buy with a view to sell it off in year 2 in case of issues

Tried selling this spec on spinny and cars24, got a value of 10L. I'm sure in worst case scenario you can sell it off at same price in year 2. But given 1 year warranty is intact risk is even lower

Quote:
Hi
Price: 8.65L, including insurance till Aug 2023, and 15 years registration already done.
Warranty: 1 year from the date of purchase, and not extendable (company policy on demo cars, they said). This is a sour point.

Last edited by niteshsharmab : 29th July 2022 at 22:18. Reason: Adding more
niteshsharmab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 02:06   #38
BHPian

Being a showroom owner, I would suggest stay away from the demo vehicle. Customers / SAs abuse it to the core & at times, those vehicles are neglected too (parked in sun, issues are not reported in time leading to accelerated wear & tear, always driven with low air pressure etc).

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2022 at 21:05. Reason: Capitalisation
knightfurry is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 12:20   #39
BHPian

Just looking at the thread heading its a big NO written all over it. If you regularly follow threads on team-bhp there have been numerous posts of people having horrific experiences with demo cars. Add a DCT and its a no brainer. I don't think a separate thread was even required here.
Maverick Avi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 18:01   #40

Demo car, that too dct! Buy it & you will need to start a new thread with the problems with the car as soon you start using it.
karthikrao23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 20:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I need some advice from you guys. Do you guys think that this is a good deal? Note that the warranty is reduced because it is a demo car. Any feedback on the DCT behaviour (normal or not)? I have paid a booking amount of 10k, and I am open to cancellation if the deal is not good. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightfurry View Post
Being a showroom owner I would suggest stay away from the demo vehicle. Customers /SAs abuse it to the core and at times those vehicles are neglected too (parked in sun, issues not reported in time leading to accelerated wear and tear, always driven with low air pressure etc).
BhaskarG, please see knightfurry’s post quoted above. If a showroom owner has said what he has said, then there is nothing else that needs to be said. Cancel the booking and walk away.

Cheers
Cyborg is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 20:35   #42
BHPian

Guys, thank you all so much for your concern and advice. An update:

Long story short, normal warranty will be applicable. So the concern about warranty no longer exists, and peace of mind prevails.

Some of you were concerned about genuineness oof the odo. I think the odo is right, because I have private contacts in the dealership and they confirmed.

Why the price is less? Reason is same as above.

Is the car abused? Maybe a little bit, definitely it will not be as well kept as a privately owned car. But it feels tight and like brand new. It was driven mostly on highways, as my contacts told. Also confirmed from Bluelink stored data. Bluelink is a wonderful tool that gives you details each and every drive history.

Well, like all of you, I did my scrutiny. And since i need a car for short duration, it does makes sense.

Last edited by BhaskarG : 25th August 2022 at 20:36. Reason: Grammar
Old 28th August 2022, 09:12   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Well, like all of you, I did my scrutiny. And since i need a car for short duration, it does makes sense.
I completely agree with your views here. If the vehicle fulfils all your needs,.there is no reason to reject it just because it is a test drive vehicle.

Happy miles!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks