Here is my list for now:

1. ŠKODA Octavia, preferably TDI.
2. Jeep Compass Diesel AT, Limited Plus
3. Hyundai Tuscon Diesel AT

Practically black swans
4. Skoda Kodiaq/Karoq
5. VW Tiguan/T-Roc

Not on my list:
1. Honda CR-V. I definitely want 160 HP and above.
2. German Trio: Can't afford them now, both financially and with the attention they need.

Notes:
1. Octavia with suspension modification can bring the best of both worlds.
2. Jeep service is still a bet. For my choices, it's Hyundai > Jeep > ŠKODA.
3. Can't trust Spinny/Cars24 blindly.
4. No point checking cars above 25L. Neither increasing the budget nor negotiating the price will bring them within reach.

Last edited by Sheel : 11th November 2022 at 21:17. Reason: Typo.
shobhit.shri is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 12:20   #17
BHPian

Re: Fun-to-drive, used car for 20-lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
I am making this post to generate ideas for my next car purchase. Please bear with me as I am also not sure what I want

Currently, I am driving a pre-owned, 2013 petrol automatic Honda City. It has served me well with its rock-solid reliability and incredible value proposition. I bought it just before the pandemic, so I didn't have to drive much.

The itch now is that since we have started traveling, I am bored to tears of this car. I am especially tired of its boat-like movement on Bangalore's roads where you can feel its yaw, pitch, and roll individually, and sometimes even all of them at the same time. I am so miffed; I am not even looking at sedans this time. Fun speeds on open highways are also not an option. As my wife once remarked jokingly, a car named “City” shouldn't mean to be taken to the “Highway”!
There are enough horror stories of the Compass reliability or the lack of it in this forum. Why don't you try the 1.5 variants of the Slavia or the Virtus? The GC is decent, and they drive well on Bangalore roads plus they're rock steady on the highways. if you can stretch your budget by a lac or 2, you'll get the Slavia 1.5 manual or Virtus 1.5 DSG. I drive in Bangalore, and I've moved from Harrier to Slavia - no issues with the Bangalore roads. The 1.5 manual on the highway brings a wide grin on my face
sanjayrozario is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 13:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
- Thanks, I will definitely check out the Octavia. However, I find it tricky that the diesel misses out on multi-link suspension and petrol has DSG issues.

- BMW 3-series costs a minimum of 30L in Bangalore's used car market and is way beyond my budget. I guess I will have to postpone joy for a little while longer.

Thanks, didn't think of CR-V at all. Does the suspension upgrade really make a vast difference in all the cars? When I was searching around for my current Honda City, a workshop owner suggested that they are worth trying only on specific cars!
Just chipping in here since CR-V caught my eye. I took a plunge and bought a well maintained single owner 2008 example (3rd gen) CR-V, and I've been loving it. 170 BHP VTEC, wonderfully communicative hydraulic steering, bomb-proof quality (Japan built CBU), great practicality with a huge boot and solid driving manners with minimal body roll (evidenced by scarcely believable corner carving in Ooty). All for the princely sum of 6.xx L from a used car dealer

Downsides are definitely going to be expensive spares, but I'm okay with this risk since the rest of the car is expected to be reliable as hell. Also it's as thirsty as Saul Goodman after crossing the New Mexico desert, but I intend on burning money and petrol for as long as I can before ICE goes away

By no means am I recommending that you buy a 14 year old car, but giving perspective that the second hand market is teeming with cars at throwaway prices that exist to excite compared to overpriced BLR second hand options
Nitronium is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 15:26   #19
BHPian

Sharing out a less considered option.

Nissan Kicks Turbo 1.3 CVT

AFAIK it does not have a sunroof, rest it might meet most of your expectations.

SUV, well within budget, automatic, good engine, space for the family.

Do give it a test drive before your decide.
yogiii is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 16:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
Sharing out a less considered option.

Completely agree on this. Except Sunroof, the Kicks should satisfy all your vehicle requirements.

Another alternative I might suggest is the Slavia/Virtus twins. Both will cost you around 21-22L, but you will get these brand new. Enjoy the new car smell and Vow factor too!

Can't stretch till 21-22, check the Kushaq/Taigun used examples perhaps.
My personal vote would be for the Kicks Turbo 1.3 CVT.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 16:29   #21
BHPian

A used Octavia TDi, as many other members have pointed out is certainly the most fun option you can get in your budget (barring the luxury brands).

Just a reminder to keep Skoda's terrible after sales in mind before taking the plunge.

Here's the link to a thread posted today by BHPian revsperminute, regarding his woes with Skoda after-sales.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5437386

Would recommend the Skoda only if you have a good FNG to take care of repairs & maintenance.
kadanaJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 17:12   #22
BHPian

I am a bit surprised no one has suggested a used Jetta yet. You get good low-run examples for 9-12 lakhs. And it has the superior suspension setup at the rear.

Here is good a example.
MDH75 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 17:18   #23
BHPian

Hi Shobhit,

Wish you a happy hunt, it took me a year to get mine and patience is definitely the key here.

I was in a similar boat and bought a pre-loved car recently. Having Civic as my daily drive, my requirement was a powerful, safe on highways (high GC) and fun to drive car. I reached similar shortlist as identified in this thread - Jeep Compass (D MT), Hyundai Tucson (D AT), Skoda Octavia (2.0 TDI). I also had a booking of XUV 7OO AWD D AT on the side but delivery was late next near. Let me give my feedback about each and I finally ended up buying a car which was not in this shortlist but at the back of my mind since beginning:

Jeep Compass - D MT is perfect for highway, great handling, right amount of power and the car gives you a sturdy feeling. Limited Plus are difficult to find. As you rightly pointed out, the Panoramic sun roof does mask the space related challenges well. I narrowed down a couple of options (2019 vintage), but both were taken off-road a lot it seems, when I bent down and felt the scuff plates I could feel the scratches. My wife could not digest the blank buttons on the steering wheel. Service station feedback is a mixed bag even in Pune. Also, D MT is the star combo but decided not to go for Manual due to need for ease of driving in city.

Skoda Octavia - this is a hoot to drive, TSI would be amazing but TDI is no slouch either. The owners of the few examples I checked out were ga-ga about the mileage which as per them tops 20 on highway if driven sedately. Is very well built, well thought out layout. Family found it bit boring though very classy. You have oodles of space with a cavernous boot. I dropped the idea as my FNG whom I know for 2 decades was not very confident with any VAG and we already have a sedan in the garage. But this is a special car, though you get a superb in similar price, octavia is all the car you may need.

Hyundai Tucson - you need to have a back to back drive of the Compass / Octavia and then the Tucson to appreciate how smooth these Hyundai diesels are. My family could not believe its a diesel from the inside. Add to it the soft steering, it does not feel like you are driving a big car. Its well put together and does the job perfectly, Hyundai service is decent with multiple options available in a city unlike the other 2. However interiors are bland and add it to it the high window line at the rear, not a good place for short passengers. This definitely felt like it will last a long time with regular maintenance. Finding an AWD GLS was not easy, did find a few but it did not work out due to some or the other issues. There was one from cars24, more comments about it below. Found a very well maintained 2WD GLS and thought about it. This car will not tick all your enthusiast boxes but it is a formidable option.

From your requirement perspective, my take is as below:
1. If you are fine with a sedan, then Octavia TDI is the top choice, no doubt.
2. If small size is not an issue and you can manage the service for the Jeep, it is a great driver's car but you have to compromise with the MT. Its a looker as well.
3. Though you won't get the tight handling or the precise steering, Tucson does get a lot of things right and will last you a long time.

How I concluded my search - I eventually time boxed my decision making and was mulling over the Tucson, but then an acquaintance pointed out a used Santa Fe, genuine low mileage, very well maintained, full clean service history, and then after some deliberations in comparison to the Tucson 2WD GLS (63k 2016), finally pulled the trigger on the Santa Fe (43K similar vintage). And its an AWD + 7 seater too which will be handy. Though it did not tick all the boxes, it felt right. Have driven 3K since and am loving it. It gives me a reason to keep the civic for the red line drives!

I kept GTO's principle in mind, don't be too fixated on the car, gearbox, fuel combo when searching for a used car, keep an open mind. It worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
Spinny/Cars24 - A few cars I checked with them in the past had major mechanical issues but their report (obviously prepared by themselves) said everything is perfect so I would avoid them at any cost. Especially, if you are spending 20 lakhs
I second this and I did not have a good experience with Cars24. The photos of car I shortlisted were amazing, their customer service was decent as well, I saw the car and found that it had been painted over, literally and paint was peeling at places. There were broken buttons (AC button a first for me) and a broken sun shade (no mention in their 100+ points check). They said they have checked car history and its clean and wont allow me to take it to Hyundai for check up before purchase. But I cross checked at Hyundai with the car registration number and it had 3 accidents before. However my biggest issue is that if a car is not touched up, you can get a decent idea about the way it has been cared for. By doing the nip and tuck, they remove traces of history in a way.
Meer is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 18:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayrozario View Post
1.5 variants of the Slavia or the Virtus?
I have test driven Virtus 1.5 DSG. It's a magnificent car and DSG is slick, but probably I am looking for 2x more fun and Slavia/Virtus is 1.5x more fun than my existing car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
2008 example (3rd gen) CR-V,
C'mon, I somehow reduced one option from my list and you put it back again I am going to check a 2017 CR-V tomorrow. Having owned a pre-owned Honda, I am fully aware of Honda's reliability and low total cost of ownership. Mileage be damned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post

Wow, a new, 154 BHP car at 16L on the road, after discounts, in Bangalore! If only it had the panoramic sunroof and the old duster's "magic carpet" drive, this would have been perfect. I will check in the showroom, but the chances are low that I will end up taking this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post

Just a reminder to keep Skoda's terrible after sales in mind before taking the plunge.
I owned a ŠKODA Rapid from the first batch for 4 years. For me, ŠKODA is like that favorite dish from childhood that you know will make you sick, but you still can't resist.

If I do buy a ŠKODA, I will definitely be twice as diligent in evaluating the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH75 View Post
I am a bit surprised no one has suggested a used Jetta yet.
Jettas are fabulous but I don't want to go for beyond 50K/5 year, especially for a VAG car. I know these numbers are arbitrary, but I had to draw a line somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post

Wish you a happy hunt. It took me a year to get mine and patience is definitely the key here.
Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed post. This is some seriously good advice and I completely agree. Will try to put them into practice.
shobhit.shri is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 20:06   #25
BANNED

I am surprised that no one is mentioning the Kushaq/Taigun Or the Slavia/Virtus, though they are not as engaging to drive like the cars mentioned till now, but there are chances that the other vehicles might cost a bomb to maintain, I will suggest you a Suv only because of Bangalore roads.
Old 11th November 2022, 21:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH75 View Post
I am a bit surprised no one has suggested a used Jetta yet. You get good low-run examples for 9-12 lakhs. And it has the superior suspension setup at the rear.
Good point. This was the first short listed car during my search in Highline AT, but finding low run options was rare, most of them were 80k+. I even broadened the search to Mumbai. However, one of my close friend's relative was visiting pune for 4-5 days and most of the time we were running around getting small things fixed in his Jetta, e.g. the roof liner was giving him continuous problem. And in 65K kms he had his fair share of parts changes, maybe driving style but it left some doubts.

I also looked for a good used CRV, again very hard to come by in Pune as I was specifically looking for 2015 and above. Great car and sells at tempting prices due to mileage concerns. Realised, that I need more torque for a large car and gave up the search.
Meer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 04:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Now, the constraint is that I can't spend more than 20L.

I think these criteria eliminate all luxury or more than 5 years/50K driven cars.

In my initial research, a used Jeep Compass seems to fit the bill.

- How is the compass's long-term reliability and maintenance pattern? I will try not to compare it with the City.
Quote:

4. No point checking cars above 25L. Neither increasing the budget nor negotiating the price will bring them within reach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
I am surprised that no one is mentioning the Kushaq/Taigun Or the Slavia/Virtus
Jeep Compass is not the most reliable worldwide. Definitely one of the worst in the US, in the segment. There are enough horror stories in this forum as well.

As far as used cars are concerned, you can find a decent BMW X1 for 20-25 lakhs (say 4 years old / 30k km).

I used to own an Octavia few years ago, the Diesel 2.0 DSG. It was fun to drive with tons of torque, but I don't think I can wholeheartedly recommend it. It always had niggles with electrical and mechanical stuff (no transmission issues though).

I also agree with Sanjay & Piyush's comment. You can get the Skoda/VW twins new ones, whether its the sedan or the SUV for that money with the 1.5 liter, DSG combo. I feel you will be hard pressed to beat that fun factor for the price.

Hyundai Tucson (old model) is a good buy for around that price. You should be able to find a Diesel Automatic around 20L.

The Honda CRVs in India had a huge problem, the anemic engines and transmissions (both petrol and diesel). I don't think you'll find them fun to drive, for that matter any car with a CVT.

Happy hunting.

Last edited by inwester : 12th November 2022 at 04:10.
inwester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 05:45   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Although this seems like the perfect case for a used Octavia or even a Laura that you can throw money at with suspension upgrades, you have mentioned that you're looking for an SUV I am not sure that a Compass would equal "predictable" maintenance (there are a few horror stories on our forum itself). Why not consider something like a Honda CR-V instead? It would be a lot more reliable, and if you go for an older generation model, you might even have some spare change to upgrade the suspension with
While considering the CRV, you can also have a look at the Innova Crysta if you can put aside your fetish for the sunroof. Though it's sold as an MPV, it's pedigree ensures that it's more of an SUV in many aspects. Reliability, ease of service etc are the bonus factors. It can swallow all the bad roads of Bangalore with aplomb and give plenty of room for your family to travel in the town and country in great comfort.
Narendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 10:34   #29
BHPian

As an existing owner of a pre-worshiped Jeep Compass owner, I can vouch for it. I upgraded from a TUV 300 and I initially thought that I would miss the space offered by TUV 300, but the Compass is roomier than it seems.

You can checkout my detailed ownership thread below

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ip-review.html (Red Phoenix - My Used Jeep Compass Limited (D) MT : An Ownership Review)

I bought from OLX from direct seller. I felt like the 2nd hand dealers were ripping me off, Cars24 and Cardekho were the worst. It took me 6 months of hunting to find this beauty. So patience was the key.

Coming to maintenance, a paid service would cost you anywhere around 15-18k. Spares and accessories are on costlier side compared to the competition (cough Hyundai). This is not a mod friendly car, you can't find much options in accessories like the others. The accessories by Jeep costs a bomb, but the quality is totally worth it.

The design ages gracefully, mine is 2019 make, the facelift one is great, but the pre-facelift one is still a looker. Many 2021 owners reported rattles issue in their vehicle, no such issues in the pre-facelift versions.

Mine is Diesel MT, so cannot comment on AT Diesel performance, but like experts said, a long TD should give you a good idea about it's performance. I would personally not suggest the sunroof model, it makes no sense in India. However, I am not sure if you will find many non-sunroof models in Diesel AT avatar. Go with the top end model as I sorely miss the cruise control and auto dimming IRVM.

Best of luck

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks