Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2023, 12:14   #1
BHPian

Which first car to buy in the USA for family usage?

Hi All,
I have been part of Team-Bhp community for more then a decade and have been a consistent reader and enjoyed wisdom and perspective of car enthusiast here.

Few months back I have shifted to San Francisco, USA for Job and planning to stay here for longish time (keeping aside visa situations).

As with the relocation the hunt for car need to be started and I do not have deep understanding of car market here specially during the time when Used car prices gone up too much last year and New cars inventory is all time low.

So please provide advise on what car to buy. Let me pen down some aspect about my personal front which will help folks to advice.

Which car I have owned in India
In India I bought VW Vento 1.6 TDI back in Jan 2011. Build quality, torque, handling of Vento was amazing. I have enjoyed driving that car and continued to own it till Jan-2023 for an entire 12 years till I relocated to USA.
Many of my friend, relatives wanted me to change the car but I could not just sell the Vento and even now I gave it to my cousine so it stays in family.

It was not that difficult to maintain as on yearly basis I just had to invest few days to sort things out and I got a trusted FNG mechanic who has done regular services, suspension work and all other necessary maintenance. I have gotten its service done every 10K KM with best quality engine oil (Liqui Moly Top-Tech or VW 505-01 grade) and stopped going to VW service center since 2015 after my extended warranty was over.

Even after being driven for ~135,000KM, Vento still looks almost as new. So I do keep my cars for around ~15 year or more (If allowed by RTO) and take good care of them.

My wife drives a Hyundai Elite I20 Petrol and we have this with us for 7 years and driven very less ~35K KM.

Car purchasing Priorities

* Eventually we plan to buy two cars here.
Main: One car which would be proper SUV that can be taken on long travels and have enough space for luggage, camping. This definitely need to be hybrid otherwise fuel cost of running SUV would be too much. Possibly a 7-8 seater which gives flexibility in having more people when needed.
Secondary: Can be a compact SUV or sedan. Primary use would be local travel, kids school, groceries and smaller office commute.

* After many discussion with friends and colleagues they recommended to buy "Secondary" car first so that it will be relatively cheaper and would not create too much financial burden (specially now that interest rates are pretty high here and since I just relocated so my credit score will take some time to build). Not to mention popular hybrid cars have crazy waiting period (~ a year or more) and too much dealer markup if one wants to purchase right now. This will also give me 2-3 years and at that time I can get my main car (relatively costly one) as a used one so getting better value.

So with that in mind I am looking for my "Secondary" car as of now.

* We have four member in family. Me, wife and two kids (3-7 years age).

* I am not too much obsessed with SUV/Compact SUV high stance factor, It might be good to have but I enjoy sedans equally for their drivability and stability. People who have better understanding can guide me on their experience driving here about importance of stance, If i am missing any point.

* Do not want to go electric since for some time (~3 years) this will be my only car and with electric having a limited range, I do not want to constantly worry about that range since for initial years this secondary car will also have to do all the duties including outstation travel which can easily be in hundreds of miles. So all the friends who suggested me Tesla, I have rejected their suggestions Besides I never understood obsession of people with Tesla (or too much technology in cars).

* I will need to have two child seat in rear. Even in India, I used to drive with both kids buckled up in child seats.

* Since I do keep cars for long period so reliability and easy maintenance are important. I do not plan to go german brand here. Of course brands like Toyota, Honda, Mazda etc are preferred and please suggest if there are other good brands.

* In India, my criteria would be 5-star rated cars so that would do the most strict filtering but here since all cars are safe so just mentioning this for sake of completeness. I am definitely cross checking and making sure by reading their crash rating so that car safety is not assumed.

* Planning to buy New. I understand that used car is more value proposition but in this specific current market, used car prices are still high. They have indeed come down in last 1-2 months but still high. So I might just add few more $$ and get that same car as new and keep it for long time. Another reason of going New is I do not have enough time to spend on finding good Used car since need to take care of many things in parallel.

* Need to be only 5 seater. In case someone visit, I can always rent or borrow from friend for time being.

* Budget is as less as needed . I do have an upper threshold of $35K. I can stretch it more as well but then it is never ending as every few thousands $$ more either there is a higher version of same car or a base version of different car.

Cars Checked by me so far, Please Suggest more
* Toyota Corolla 2023:
- Corolla seems to be an icon here with respect to reliability.
- With 2023 version they have done pretty good upgrade on many areas (exterior styling & interior along with engine being 2.0L, 169HP across all variants).
- Good fuel economy of 35MPG
- Would cost me ~$26K so budget friendly
- Seems to be just about the right size with respect to internal space.
- This can easily run for years and I do not have to worry too much about it.

* Toyota Camry 2023:
- Camry is obviously a better car then Corolla on many aspects with sharing several benefits of being from Toyota.
- Fuel economy would be little less ~30-31MPG
- Cost would be around ~$33K
- Space is pretty good.

* Toyota Corolla Cross 2023:
- Jacked up version of Corolla with high Ground-Clearance and low millage.
- For some reason has not appealed to me that much.
- I will still test drive it for sure but this would only make sense over corolla sedan if Ground-Clearance is huge advantage which I am not sure since road conditions here are pretty good.

* Toyota RAV-4:
- RAV-4 Hybrid is like one of the worlds best selling vehicle. Unfortunately I can only plan to buy a gas-only since too much waiting for RAV-4 Hybrid.
- I have not test driven it so will update the thread OR make up my mind about RAV-4. If someone has first hand experience than let me know.

* Honda Civic:
- Liked the looks, interior and felt better.
- Driving was also pretty good.
- Honda is also a very reliable brand so I have no worry from this point as well.
- Might cost me a bit more then corolla, somewhere around $30K and instinctively it then competes with Camry on value proposition because price difference is not too much.

* Honda CR-V:
- Test drove friend's CR-V.
- Definitely looks like a very all round car.
- Cost would be around $35K. Bit on higher side then I would have liked for secondary car.

* Honda Accord:
- I have not test driven it yet.

* Mazda CX-5, CX-50, Sedan 3:
- Amazing interior quality and driving dynamics.
- Feels more engaged.
- Seriously killer looks
- Only fear I have is based on reviews I saw many people complaining about their low fuel efficiency. No one in my friend circle have them so cannot even validate this claim.

These are the only cars I checked online, taken test drive of several of them and will be making a decision in a 2-3 weeks time.
Interestingly this is creating three sub category and summary problem statement goes like this

From utility perspective a car which would be used as only car for first ~3 years and post that will become a secondary car with limited usages. For a family of 4 which category makes more sense?
1) Sedans like Corolla, Civic etc? Which might have just about enough space for four people with two child sears and later on you can spend saved money in getting next car.
2) Sedans like Camry, Accord etc? Which have ample space and even after 3 years can easily do all sort of duties with ease. You spend more but also get more value.
3) Compact SUV like CR-V, RAV-4, Subaru Forester etc?
Same logic as camry/accord but form factor is Crossover. Do people suggest that high ground clearance is must?

Last edited by karansm4u : 31st January 2023 at 12:37.
karansm4u is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 12:31   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Which first car to buy in the USA for family usage?

Considering your post, I believe you like keeping your cars for longer periods and you are a family of four. This works well in the US because they don’t have strictures like the ones our NGT are imposing on us.
I would suggest if this is to be your only all purpose car in which you wish to commute as well as travel and explore, it makes best sense to buy a nice spacious SUV. Don’t forget your kids will grow taller year by year and you don’t want them all cramped up. You will need luggage space. When you embrace the US lifestyle and see the opportunities for camping out and adventure and exploration and road trips and barbecues and sports and National Parks/ Scenic Spots and all sorts of things which are different from India, you will definitely find an SUV to suit you better.
Also, you are in the US. Car Mecca if I may. Pricing is reasonable. Fuel isn’t too frightfully expensive. USA is NOT a Diesel market so Petrol is the way to go. Great used cars are available in plenty. You’re absolutely spoiled for choice. Powerful Big cars are easy to get and easy to drive on those roads.
I would work with the Japanese brands to begin with and consider the American ones too. I think you would do well, apart from Honda and Toyota, to consider Mazda and Altima and Acura and all. They are a cut above the run of the mill. And perhaps expand your horizon a little to include Ford, GMC, Chevrolet and Jeep/ Chrysler too.
Try CarMax. They are good. You can also consider buying used from the good reputed rental car companies like Alamo, National, Hertz and all.
Wishing you all the best. Above all, enjoy your time and your new car and your new world.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 12:32   #3
BHPian

Regarding your need for a SUV for holiday activities which must be a hybrid, you say, please explore
Hybrid SUV. In this list, Toyota RAV and Honda CRV, you also would like to look at Kia Sportage or Sorento or the Hyundai Santa Fe or Tucson models. If you feel you can manage big SUVs then Toyota Highlander or Toyota Sequoia could be options.

My brother stays with Honda or Acura brand in USA till recently when gas prices shoot up the sky and hybrid becomes a must and then you have more options. Honda gives variants that have the right equipments for a price whereas with Toyota you might have to spend more for an equivalent model. However, Toyota's component reliability is better than Honda, again strictly in my opinion.
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 13:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karansm4u View Post
These are the only cars I checked online
Below are my suggestions:
  • Mazda CX-50: Neat little crossover, and the new age Mazda models oozes quality. And this is one brand which has not lost its mojo in the sea of technology.
  • Honda Civic: The new Civic looks good and should provide a fuss-free ownership experience. I believe you even have the Civic Si there which comes with 6-speed manual (though, considering that you are based in SF, a manual transmission car will be an adventure of its own

Though you mentioned that EVs are ruled out, CA is an EV state with good charging infrastructure. And for that reason, I would suggest checking out the Tesla Model 3.
Happy shopping!
vb-saan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 14:08   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
CA is an EV state with good charging infrastructure. And for that reason, I would suggest checking out the Tesla Model 3.
Happy shopping!
With a Tesla you can take comfort also from the fact that Brother Elon/ Musk Mama lives just a bit down the road.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 14:46   #6
BHPian

All your choices are Japanese so am assuming resale value is a factor. Sedans like the Camry have better rear seat space than SUV's. The CX-5 offers a premium feel, an engaging drive and is available in 2wd.
If SUV is a preference do also check out the Corsair.
Abhisheknott is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 15:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I would suggest if this is to be your only all purpose car in which you wish to commute as well as travel and explore, it makes best sense to buy a nice spacious SUV. Don’t forget your kids will grow taller year by year and you don’t want them all cramped up.........
This will be all purpose car for first 2-3 years before I buy second one. I am planning a specious SUV and another compact-SUV/Sedan. Now question is which one to buy first? Leaning towards compact-SUV/Sedan for now but I understand your point that I will feel cramped in initial years when maybe the bug to travel might be a bit more.

Quote:
Also, you are in the US. Car Mecca if I may........
Wishing you all the best. Above all, enjoy your time and your new car and your new world.
Thanks Let me checkout these additional brands and used cars as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Regarding your need for a SUV for holiday activities which must be a hybrid, you say, please explore
Hybrid SUV. In this list, Toyota RAV and Honda CRV, you also would like to look at Kia Sportage or Sorento or the Hyundai Santa Fe or Tucson models. If you feel you can manage big SUVs then Toyota Highlander or Toyota Sequoia could be options.......
Thanks. Kia/Hyundai GNCAP rating in India were not good so I was having this mental barrier but I guess it is not the case here so let me check out Sportage, SantaFe and Tucson as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Below are my suggestions:
  • Mazda CX-50: Neat little crossover, and the new age Mazda models oozes quality. And this is one brand which has not lost its mojo in the sea of technology.
  • Honda Civic: The new Civic looks good and should provide a fuss-free ownership experience. I believe you even have the Civic Si there which comes with 6-speed manual (though, considering that you are based in SF, a manual transmission car will be an adventure of its own
Though you mentioned that EVs are ruled out, CA is an EV state with good charging infrastructure. And for that reason, I would suggest checking out the Tesla Model 3.
Happy shopping!
Mazdas are really good. There quality seems like one level above.

Tesla is a big change for me as I always prefer more mechanical and simple cars as they will have less things which can go wrong.
For example,
- I never prefer sunroof (useless feature and add unnecessary modules to a car),
- Generally prefer non-touch infotainment system or at the very least touch but need to have basic physical buttons. Completely touch screen systems becomes distraction if operation require more complex input then what you have on steering.
- Still prefer simple keys instead of smart keys. I never pay anything extra for push button start etc. If they are coming in selected variant - fine, If not - even better.
- Liked manual gearbox, they never go bad but I think this I have to change since very limited option with manual gearbox now.

So Tesla is too much adjustment for me.

Quote:
With a Tesla you can take comfort also from the fact that Brother Elon/ Musk Mama lives just a bit down the road.
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhisheknott View Post
All your choices are Japanese so am assuming resale value is a factor. Sedans like the Camry have better rear seat space than SUV's. The CX-5 offers a premium feel, an engaging drive and is available in 2wd.
If SUV is a preference do also check out the Corsair.
Resale value is not at all a factor. I will depreciate the car myself to zero. In India I used Vento for 12 years and if not for relocation, would have continued using it for 15 years and more. Only reason I prefer to change car if existing one lacks in safety & start having reliability issues. If existing car is safe by latest standards then maintain it well so its reliable enough to be taken on highways/city.

Last edited by karansm4u : 31st January 2023 at 15:57.
Old 31st January 2023, 15:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[i]From utility perspective a car which would be used as only car for first ~3 years and post that will become a secondary car with limited usages. For a family of 4 which category makes more sense?
The likes of Corolla/Civic and Camry/Accord, should make no difference to be honest. The rear seats will have two car seats so in none of these four cars will another adult fit. And the boot in Corolla/Civic should carry luggage for a weekend trip for four easily.

Have you considered the Mazda3?

Quote:
Do people suggest that high ground clearance is must?
Would make no difference, unless you intend to go on trails / camping / soft-roading.

--

Couple of other suggestions:

1) Take a stroll along Stevens Creek Boulevard, San Jose some day; it's got every car manufacturer showroom within walking distance of each other
2) You've mentioned you don't want electric. How long a drive is your workplace? The Bay Area has a dedicated lane for those who carpool or electric / plug-in hybrid cars. Makes quite a significant difference during peak hours
3) Consider a Credit Union when taking a loan for the vehicle purchase

Here's an active thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...erica-425.html (Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America)
libranof1987 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 05:44   #9
BHPian

Re: Which first car to buy in the USA for family usage?

Thanks Libranof. I will go to Stevens Creek Boulevard, San Jose over the weekend. I checked on google map and indeed most of the manufactures have showroom here in walking distance.
Old 2nd February 2023, 09:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:

* Toyota RAV-4:
- RAV-4 Hybrid is like one of the worlds best selling vehicle. Unfortunately I can only plan to buy a gas-only since too much waiting for RAV-4 Hybrid.
- I have not test driven it so will update the thread OR make up my mind about RAV-4. If someone has first hand experience than let me know.
I own a 2022 RAV4 Hybrid and like you mentioned in the previous post if gas mileage is a requirement then this is the best option I had come across while car shopping. The only problem is that most (if not all) of them are made in Japan and there is a waiting period to get the model you want. If you are ok with 2WD you can try looking for that in a color that's not common and you may get early delivery, which is what I actually did.
If you plan to drive on tarmac most of the time, the AWD may not be required at all and snow isn't an issue in your area anyway.

If you feel you may need additional seats, the Highlander is an option although its slightly longer and doesn't fit in the compact crossover category.

Quote:

* Honda CR-V:
- Test drove friend's CR-V.
- Definitely looks like a very all round car.
- Cost would be around $35K. Bit on higher side then I would have liked for secondary car.
I owned a CRV while living in Wisconsin and that was the most popular choice due to its feature list (especially heated seats) and the AWD which was a must for snowy winters. The fully loaded versions might seem expensive, almost approaching premium car category, but cost of ownership is low and it feels comfortable over long distances.
Old 2nd February 2023, 09:36   #11
BHPian

Take a look at Toyota Venza, it's a cheaper version of the Lexus NX. Next interesting option would be the Mazda CX50.
GutsyGibbon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 14:58   #12
BHPian

Considering that you have kids aged 3 & 7 and if looking for sedan, then only consider midsize sedans like Accord, Altima, Camry, Kia K5, Mazda 6, etc.. or full sized sedans. These give you the space, reliability and performance required. Infiniti Q50 is also very capable car. All the Midsized cars are safe and reliable.

If you do not have a driving history in US, then its better to buy the secondary car (preferably used) and get that insurance lowered in 2 years before moving to higher priced cars.

I have personal driven Accord, Altima, Camry, Mazda 6, Kia K5 and also owned few models. These are all very reliable and capable cars.

If looking for Small SUV - then I wouldn't look beyond RAV4 (v6) and CR-V to start.

Regards

Last edited by chandrda : 2nd February 2023 at 15:07. Reason: Correction
Old 2nd February 2023, 15:58   #13
BHPian

All you need is a 11th gen Civic hatchback. Practical, fun-to-drive, efficient, good looking, family+pocket friendly.

Which first car to buy in the USA for family usage?-screenshot-20230202-112525.png

Which first car to buy in the USA for family usage?-screenshot-20230202-112536.png

Which first car to buy in the USA for family usage?-screenshot-20230202-112548.png

Which first car to buy in the USA for family usage?-screenshot-20230202-112513.png

Which first car to buy in the USA for family usage?-screenshot-20230202-112606.png

Which first car to buy in the USA for family usage?-screenshot-20230202-112445.png

Which first car to buy in the USA for family usage?-screenshot-20230202-112322.png
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 17:23   #14
BHPian

If you aren't averse to used cars, there's a bunch of money that can be saved even with the current inflation in the used car prices. Cargurus and autotrader are good sites that let you filter based on various criteria like make, model, carfax records, price, year, miles etc.
Sticking with the Japs is a good strategy for buying used cars.

Also look at Genesis v70. A used 2020 one can be gotten for the late twenties and they come with a long warranty.

Last edited by vroomsome : 2nd February 2023 at 17:25.
Old 2nd February 2023, 18:28   #15
BHPian

If you are looking at the CX5 on the compact SUV space, let me assure you the mileage is not a concern. With a light foot, I am able to achieve 30+ mpg and with the sport mode, it is a little shy of 27.
Like you said, interiors with Bose sound system and exterior looks are the USP for this car. There is also an optional 7 year/100k warranty for consideration.

The only drawback, as I see is it is a proper 4 seater and will be a tight squeeze for 5. I would suggest you take a test drive to check this aspect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks