Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2021, 08:17   #6361
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Canadian/North-American equivalent of TBHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringAlly View Post
TBHP has poised me for high-quality content, hence I am looking for an equivalent website for Canada/North-America.
Thanks for the compliments .

Hard to find an equivalent in the USA, but I get my North-American car fix from a mix of Reddit + Jalopnik.

1. On Reddit, look at the top of the week via this link.

2. On Jalopnik, subscribe to their daily newsletter.

Unlike India, the USA has many active brand-specific forums. Invaluable information in those. But I have yet to come across an "all inclusive" car forum like Team-BHP in USA / Canada.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 20:39   #6362
BHPian

Re: Canadian/North-American equivalent of TBHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

2. On Jalopnik, subscribe to their daily newsletter.

Unlike India, the USA has many active brand-specific forums. Invaluable information in those. But I have yet to come across an "all inclusive" car forum like Team-BHP in USA / Canada.
Jalopnik used to be good. After they were sold by Gawker to Great Hill partners and now managed by G/O media, they have gone downhill.

Most of the auto editors and employees who produced the quality content left. I have been a long time reader of jalopnik and watched it go downhill for the past 5 years. Their motorcycle section used to be great but now its barely tolerable. The auto section is filled with trolls who just post MAGA messages.

Your platform is truly an all-encompassing one and produces quality content.
no_fear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 01:26   #6363
BHPian

AWD Suv/Crossover for 25000$

Hey Guys,

I just moved to the USA this month and I'm going to be soon in need of a new car. I'm looking at leasing a car here, as i don't want to go through the pain and hassle of selling a new car again like I did with my beloved Ecosport ,I would much rather keep it simple, my first priority would have been a used car but this global chip shortage and covid pandemic has driven the used car market to new levels of crazy in here.

I have zero credit history but I understand companies like VW have a Expat program for people to get set up in the country. I'm going to be in Mass where there is reasonable amount of snow in the winter and so I'm looking for leasing AWD Crossovers below 25000$. Let me know your thoughts!
Old 26th June 2021, 15:45   #6364
BHPian

Re: AWD Suv/Crossover for 25000$

Sharing my (limited) inputs gained from watching YouTube videos of a few US-based channels I follow:

If crossover is a must, I will suggest to look for the below, in that order-
1. Ford Ecosport (it seems to be available in AWD as per the website, so how about rekindling the romance? )
2. Subaru Crosstrek (standard AWD, the non-hybrid is closest to your budget)
3. Toyota RAV4 (some entry level AWD variants are in the ballpark of your budget)
4. Honda CRV (similar to RAV4, some entry level AWD variants are in the ballpark of your budget)

However I will also suggest to first explore if you can manage with an AWD sedan. In that case, you can save quite a lot by going for the entry level Subaru Impreza. If I recall correctly, apart from the BRZ, all Subarus come with standard AWD and it works quite well in low traction situations (at least from what I have read and watched). Local exploration will also give you an idea about the support of each brand in your locality.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by Researcher : 26th June 2021 at 15:58.
Researcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 01:47   #6365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi'd View Post
Hey Guys,

I just moved to the USA this month and I'm going to be soon in need of a new car. I'm looking at leasing a car here, as i don't want to go through the pain and hassle of selling a new car again.
Hi TDCI'd!

I have limited knowledge of the US car market, especially the financial aspect of it. But, the few cars that I can suggest are:

1. VW Tiguan - A car available in India, it has decent features, an improved back seat and 184HP!

2. Kia Seltos - Again something that is available in India. But the Seltos is different in the USA i.e it has much better structural integrity and maybe even a better engine.

3. Like Researcher said, if you're not satisfied go ahead with the EcoSport. You'll definitely not miss much on the driving experience from here.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th June 2021 at 19:46. Reason: As requested
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 09:08   #6366
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,
I'm going to be in Mass where there is reasonable amount of snow in the winter and so
All you need is a Subaru.

Quote:
I'm looking for leasing AWD Crossovers below 25000$. Let me know your thoughts!
You can get a lower trim Crosstrek for under 25k USD brand new. It fits your bill.

Others sadly cost more than 25k USD brand new.

However if you are open to buying used instead of leasing you can find some good Rav4s , Outbacks and Foresters .
Eshan Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 03:37   #6367
BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking for leasing AWD Crossovers below 25000$. Let me know your thoughts!
I would suggest a new Mazda CX-3, CX-30 or a used CX-5. All of them have AWD options. Mazda is an underrated brand with fantastic products in their lineup. The quality of materials used inside is comparable to German top brands. Also very reliable. Try for yourself going for a test drive.

They are currently running 0% APR for 36 months on select models, but I think that’s mostly limited to sedans.

The second best option in your budget is a subaru, but I am not sure if their higher variant outbacks or crosstreks are in your pricepoint. And as Researcher mentioned, entry level Subaru impreza is a very good VFM buy. And comes standard with AWD.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 30th June 2021 at 03:46.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 04:40   #6368
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Nope, not in Canada at least. Your residence address, number of years since you have held the license will be more important.
Sorry, I had not noticed your reply. I see what you mean when all things are equal. I meant spending $100k on a Porsche Vs $10k on a Honda. You would obviously be paying more in insuring something worth $100k.
Old 14th July 2021, 07:51   #6369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I see what you mean when all things are equal. I meant spending $100k on a Porsche Vs $10k on a Honda. You would obviously be paying more in insuring something worth $100k.
No, at least in Canada, a Porsche Macan might be cheaper to insure then a Honda Civic if everything else is same as certain cars have higher chances of theft and accidents!
Old 14th August 2021, 17:58   #6370
BHPian

Guys in Massachusetts, Im looking to get a 2022 BRZ or a 86 (Definitely a stick shift) From the looks of it and the reviews online, the BRZ seems more premium in terms in interiors and starts out a bit cheaper than the 86 (i can get the premium and/or add some options for the cost of a base 86. )

I've been using a 05 camry for a couple years now and seems like a perfect time to get a two seater.

Any ideas/suggestions alternatives ? The cars are not out in the market yet and given the market here i am in no hurry. (Will be keeping the car until I have kids haha)
hrbheda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 19:15   #6371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post

Any ideas/suggestions alternatives?
I think you should seriously consider a Mazda MX-5 (Miata in USA) ND2. It is among the very few of the lightweight roadsters which you can buy new currently. Check out a very nice comparison done by Savagegeese on his YouTube channel among S2000 Vs GT86/BRZ Vs ND2.

A lightweight and nimble car is a revelation to drive.
Old 14th August 2021, 21:41   #6372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
I think you should seriously consider a Mazda MX-5 (Miata in USA) ND2. It is among the very few of the lightweight roadsters which you can buy new currently. Check out a very nice comparison done by Savagegeese on his YouTube channel among S2000 Vs GT86/BRZ Vs ND2.

A lightweight and nimble car is a revelation to drive.
I agree the Miata is light but it is down on power ( 151 vs 228 ) and torque (151 vs 184).

Cost wise, the Miata GT starts at $31k (before options) while a premium brz with all the decent options comes in at the same price $31k (expected).

Also, the brz is a bit more practical over a miata and a bit more spacious too.

I/m waiting to test drive all three of them to get a better idea but my heart is set on the BRZ for said reasons.
Old 14th August 2021, 23:18   #6373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any ideas/suggestions alternatives ?
The Honda S2000 (used) if you're extremely lucky to find one in good shape. Otherwise, you have picked the two best mass market 2-seaters. Unless the RF version, the Mazda Miata is mostly a summer car.

If you're open to used cars, a Scion FR-S might be cheaper as it is discontinued. Needless to say, all three cars(BR-Z, FR-S, 86) are the same underneath with minor changes to the body panels.

Talking about 2 seaters, why not the iconic American? (Mustang )
Old 14th August 2021, 23:24   #6374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Talking about 2 seaters, why not the iconic American? (Mustang )
Well TBH, I've driven the soft top Mustang and for me, its not as nimble. The suspension is waay too hard for me for it to be daily.

Also, and more importantly, its a bit too cliched. I want to drive something different.

To your point of used cars, I intend to keep this car for quite a bit so I'd prefer buying a new one. Specially with sports cars being thrashed around, you never know what you're getting. I bought a used camry and used it for two years because I wasn't sure if i was going to stick around in the US for any longer but it seems like now I will.

Last edited by hrbheda : 14th August 2021 at 23:27. Reason: added a point.
hrbheda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 03:01   #6375
BHPian

Quote:
I agree the Miata is light but it is down on power ( 151 vs 228 ) and torque (151 vs 184).

Cost wise, the Miata GT starts at $31k (before options) while a premium brz with all the decent options comes in at the same price $31k (expected).
If you are going to have only one car, then BRZ would be a practical option in terms of some extra interior room and the trunk space. And for 2022 MY is having quite some improvements. I already kind of sense that the decision is already made, but still would try to give some perspectives so that you choose wisely based on your needs.

The power value you mentioned for ND2 was incorrect. It should be 181hp for ND2 vs 228hp for BRZ MY 2022.

Also your direct comparison of power and torque values is just not very usable or practical to compare cars of different weights. You should compare power-to-weight (and a few more things like gear ratios, which I will leave out for simplicity).Since Subaru did not release official weights of 2022 BRZ yet, from car and driver and some other sources, I take it might be around 2835lbs for BRZ MY2022(Top end Limited would be even higher I guess). ND2 GT is 2341lbs.

Power-to-weight:
BRZ - 228hp/2835lbs = 0.080 hp/lb
ND2 - 181hp/2341lbs = 0.077 hp/lb

This is not much. If BRZ has a laptopbag and a big grocery bag, then they both have same ratios. If Limited variant of BRZ tips 2950lbs, then also the ratios are same as ND2.

Good luck with your test drives and have fun!

Last edited by carthick1000 : 15th August 2021 at 03:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks