Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2021, 07:16   #6346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Trust me, its a very simple and approachable car if you don't look at the spec sheet and the funny memes!
True that. Your car looks sweet. This particular color looks good too. I've seen a few and they appear smaller and lower to the ground than the older models. Perhaps its the design.

The Miata has always been about fun without breaking the bank. It is reliable and easy on the wallet too. You don't need a specialized garage to fix one either. I'd say the only real competition comes from Toyota's GT86/ Subaru BRZ. The latter in its latest iteration looks good. Don't think you can go wrong with any of these cars.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 03:42   #6347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Received an offer I couldn't refuse on a 2020 GT with all the Club edition goodies like Bilstein suspension and awesome limited slip diff. To further sweeten the deal, received a 5 year 0% interest finance with a small amount down.
That is a excellent choice. Congratulations on the pocket friendly sports car. Take it to twisted sisters drive and you will enjoy it even more in twisties. And in future take it to Circuit of Americas, Austin on a day when the small cars are allowed to practice around the track. I hope Honda will learn a lesson or two and bring back the S2000 back to market.
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 01:27   #6348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
True that. Your car looks sweet. This particular color looks good too. I've seen a few and they appear smaller and lower to the ground than the older models. Perhaps its the design.

The Miata has always been about fun without breaking the bank. It is reliable and easy on the wallet too. You don't need a specialized garage to fix one either. I'd say the only real competition comes from Toyota's GT86/ Subaru BRZ. The latter in its latest iteration looks good. Don't think you can go wrong with any of these cars.
Thanks for the compliments. I really didn't choose the color. Inventory was so tight in MT. Plus being 2020 I knew I could receive a better offer. Most people want the RF AT version. The upcoming BRZ looks exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
That is a excellent choice. Congratulations on the pocket friendly sports car. Take it to twisted sisters drive and you will enjoy it even more in twisties. I hope Honda will learn a lesson or two and bring back the S2000 back to market.
The sisters are close and I ride some part of the roads almost every month on the motorcycles. After I get some drive time, planning to try beginner autocross. Not sure if the car is big track friendly. We do have a small track which I plan to try. My only exp on track is with my old zen and alto on the chennai MMSC.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 20th February 2021 at 01:28.
Old 27th February 2021, 00:08   #6349
BHPian

Hi T-Bhpians,

I am in Pittsburgh, PA right now and planning on selling my Honda Accord.

Link to the FB post.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9779486993827/

Hi Mods,
Please delete if I am violating the rules of the forum. Being in the US, I wasn't able to post this on the Classifieds section.
Old 18th April 2021, 18:58   #6350
BHPian

Hi folks!

I will be moving to Toronto in the next few months for my MBA. Now honestly, I am well aware of the high insurance rates, but being a petrolhead I just cannot imagine not driving/owning a vehicle till I start earning.

Can someone help me with car options that are absolutely fun to drive (preferably not the Accords and Corollas) and whose insurance premium won't make my wallet substantially lighter? What about the beater cars? Or do they command higher insurance premiums? I will mostly be doing a part-time job and hope to buy a car in a few months post that.

TIA!
Old 18th April 2021, 20:16   #6351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala59 View Post
Hi folks!
I will be moving to Toronto in the next few months for my MBA. Now honestly, I am well aware of the high insurance rates, but being a petrolhead I just cannot imagine not driving/owning a vehicle till I start earning.
Can someone help me with car options that are absolutely fun to drive (preferably not the Accords and Corollas) and whose insurance premium won't make my wallet substantially lighter? What about the beater cars? Or do they command higher insurance premiums? I will mostly be doing a part-time job and hope to buy a car in a few months post that.
TIA!
Your insurance cost would depend on a whole lot of factors. The biggest being the cost of the car. Then the engine bhp, body style, even color.
For a petrolhead, I would suggest a Mazda 3 hatchback. You can snag a 5 yr old under $10k with less than 100k miles, it may be a good balance of maintenance costs, insurance costs, & initial cost.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 17:14   #6352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Your insurance cost would depend on a whole lot of factors. The biggest being the cost of the car. Then the engine bhp, body style, even color.
For a petrolhead, I would suggest a Mazda 3 hatchback. You can snag a 5 yr old under $10k with less than 100k miles, it may be a good balance of maintenance costs, insurance costs, & initial cost.
What about used Subaru Impreza/WRX/Outback? I have seen some at pretty cheap rates, some as low as $1800 on Autotrader (not the WRX obviously, those start at around $6k). Being an AWD would also help me in the winters. The sweet boxer engine sound is an added bonus
Old 19th April 2021, 18:59   #6353
BHPian

Quote:
What about used Subaru Impreza/WRX/Outback? I have seen some at pretty cheap rates, some as low as $1800 on Autotrader (not the WRX obviously, those start at around $6k). Being an AWD would also help me in the winters. The sweet boxer engine sound is an added bonus
Welcome to Toronto. Where will you be located? If you are planning on living in the downtown area, factor for parking too as it might be an issue.

Beater cars here have one big issue - rust. The roads are salted extensively during winter and the salt eats thru metal when it mixes with water. The upside is if the car is not too expensive, you can get away with third party insurance only (as in no coverage for the vehicle itself) which is cheaper.

Have you thought about licensing? Unless you hold a license from a country recognized for direct transfer, you will have to start afresh here. There is a three tiered license system - G1 - learner, G2 - Intermediate and G - unrestricted. Minimum period for getting a G2 is 8 months after you get a G1 and you will have to attend a driving ed course for that. That's almost half your MBA term BTW.
mohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 20:42   #6354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can someone help me with car options that are absolutely fun to drive
Your best option, get the rental cars on weekend. This will be the cheapest way to enjoy different cars for at least couple of months. When you have got a hang of the driving, appear for a test and get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
The biggest being the cost of the car.
Nope, not in Canada at least. Your residence address, number of years since you have held the license will be more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Unless you hold a license from a country recognized for direct transfer, you will have to start afresh here. There is a three tiered license system - G1 - learner, G2 - Intermediate and G - unrestricted.
Yes, but you can apply for the unrestricted if we have an Indian license. If one is able to clear the written and advanced practical test, you are given directly unrestricted license. It’s difficult but possible if you can take few lessons. Otherwise also, for almost all practical purposes intermediate works as well as the full.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 20:52   #6355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Nope, not in Canada at least. Your residence address, number of years since you have held the license will be more important.
I should have qualified my comment to be limited to the choice of car. In my mind the OP would not have a choice in the number of years he has had a drivers license.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 20:53   #6356
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but you can apply for the unrestricted if we have an Indian license. If one is able to clear the written and advanced practical test, you are given directly unrestricted license. It’s difficult but possible if you can take few lessons. Otherwise also, for almost all practical purposes intermediate works as well as the full.
True that but you used to need an experience letter from Indian licensing authority. My information is a bit outdated on the subject. The 8 months thing still stands irrespective of license types.

Totally agree that renting is the way to go to begin.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 21:17   #6357
BHPian

As has been pointed out above, the most important factor is whether your residence will include a dedicated Car Parking for you. This may come at a hefty premium. Roadside parking is a hassle as in severely congested residential areas, finding a parking is a nightmare.
The best is to be there, get driving licence and experience especially on icy conditions. By then, you will be wise enough to select which Car to own.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 19:01   #6358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Welcome to Toronto. Where will you be located? If you are planning on living in the downtown area, factor for parking too as it might be an issue.
I will be living in the North York area, inside the York University campus. At least for the start.

Quote:
Your best option, get the rental cars on weekend. This will be the cheapest way to enjoy different cars for at least couple of months. When you have got a hang of the driving, appear for a test and get one.
I guess that is the sensible choice at the start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
As has been pointed out above, the most important factor is whether your residence will include a dedicated Car Parking for you. This may come at a hefty premium. Roadside parking is a hassle as in severely congested residential areas, finding a parking is a nightmare.
The best is to be there, get driving licence and experience especially on icy conditions. By then, you will be wise enough to select which Car to own.
The current place of accommodation (which might be only for a few months) has parking available at an extra $117 per month. I think the picture might get clearer in the coming months.

Thanks a lot guys for all the advice! If there is anything else that I should know about driving in Toronoto/Canada, do let me know!
Old 20th April 2021, 19:13   #6359
BHPian

Quote:
I will be living in the North York area, inside the York University campus. At least for the start.
Ah.. Schulich bound!

Quote:
The current place of accommodation (which might be only for a few months) has parking available at an extra $117 per month. I think the picture might get clearer in the coming months.
That's what I meant by parking concerns.. If you have to pay for parking, it adds to your monthly expense.. But I guess you are cool with it.
Quote:
Thanks a lot guys for all the advice! If there is anything else that I should know about driving in Toronoto/Canada, do let me know!
Driving in Toronto and Canada are two different animals - Toronto (and the Greater Toronto Area in general) is not made for enjoying driving - Tons of traffic and a little bit of insanity once you reach certain suburbs.
Outside of that, there are good road trip opportunities. Just watch your speed and enjoy the view . And that's where the rental suggestions comes into play. Your campus is close to a Subway station so getting to downtown is a breeze. You can always rent a car for the weekends and enjoy a new ride every time.

Last edited by mohit : 20th April 2021 at 19:14.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 01:55   #6360

Canadian/North-American equivalent of TBHP

Hi, fellow TBHPians. I have been reading TBHP for 9+ years now and this is my first post.
I recently moved to Canada, but still read TBHP religiously every day. I have been planning to buy a car over here, hence looking for reviews.
TBHP has poised me for high-quality content, hence I am looking for an equivalent website for Canada/North-America.
Similar to TBHP, it will be great if the website has:
- Detailed reviews
- Unbiased content
- Forum-based, so that people can voice their opinion (rather than just one-sided 'published' content)
TouringAlly is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks