Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2019, 15:08   #6256
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Hi everyone, I'll be moving to Vancouver end of September, and have already starting lurking around craiglist much more than I should

Once settled, plan to buy a used, fun to drive MT sedan/hatch with an ability to seat 5, budget not exceeding 15K CAD. What would be some reliable options in this price range?

Some context: drive an MT City and Civic AT back home. Honestly wouldn't mind spending my initial years in a Civic since I never really got to drive it as much as i wanted. Adamant on MT since owning an AT has made me realise where my loyalty lies

Based on preliminary search and going through reviews, figured out the following options:

1- The Civic Si, specially around 2013 models with 2.4 ivtec. Not sure how different these are from the older gen with 2.0L in terms of performance, but the 2013 ones also seem to have nicer interiors though relatively expensive.

2- MT Jettas with petrol 2.0L and low KM 2011-216 models are plenty. (TDIs are pricier much to my surprise). Saw some passats too, but I'm guessing these are setup more towards comfort.

3- Was also able to locate few Mazda 3s, which seems like a practical yet fun to drive hatch/sedan.

4- Very few manual accords (located one V6). But pricey although can extend if they make more sense.

5- No idea about Subaru WTX but a clean one would be clearly out of budget.

Any comments on these and what else I can include? Manuals being around 15% of the total market, how much does the demand supply ratio affect negotiations? Can we use the same concept of getting a local garage to inspect one since everyone says carfax is useless?

Leads, advice and suggestions would be much appreciated. And finally, any BHPians in Vancouver? Would love to catch up!
Old 12th August 2019, 08:26   #6257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Hi everyone, I'll be moving to Vancouver end of September, and have already starting lurking around craiglist much more than I should

Once settled, plan to buy a used, fun to drive MT sedan/hatch with an ability to seat 5, budget not exceeding 15K CAD. What would be some reliable options in this price range?

Leads, advice and suggestions would be much appreciated. And finally, any BHPians in Vancouver? Would love to catch up!
Vancouver & MT is not a good combination considering the traffic, would also depend on the play of your stay / work. Would suggest you to make a decision few weeks after landing.

Kijiji is another option to source used cars, $15K is reasonable and would fetch you a good car considering the new base sedans (Civic, Corolla, etc start from low 20's).
v1kram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 12:22   #6258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
Vancouver & MT is not a good combination considering the traffic, would also depend on the play of your stay / work. Would suggest you to make a decision few weeks after landing.

Kijiji is another option to source used cars, $15K is reasonable and would fetch you a good car considering the new base sedans (Civic, Corolla, etc start from low 20's).
Thanks for your inputs Vikram. I have been using MT in Hyderabad traffic for a while now. Is traffic there really worse than back home? But nonetheless will certainly be open to options once other factors like commute etc. become more clear.

Not really making any decisions yet, but let's just say this is akin to killing time on social media; some of us do the same on OLX, just the websites have changed Besides, you are then prepared to move quickly once something good surfaces. I thus thought it would be pertinent to ask fellow BHPians on what vehicles I should be on a lookout for.
Old 12th August 2019, 23:20   #6259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs Vikram. I have been using MT in Hyderabad traffic for a while now. Is traffic there really worse than back home? But nonetheless will certainly be open to options once other factors like commute etc. become more clear.

Not really making any decisions yet, but let's just say this is akin to killing time on social media; some of us do the same on OLX, just the websites have changed Besides, you are then prepared to move quickly once something good surfaces. I thus thought it would be pertinent to ask fellow BHPians on what vehicles I should be on a lookout for.
Few things to keep in mind:

- Insurance for you will be atrocious if you have new CA license and no prior driving history. And MTs will further increase your premium as insurance companies view it as higher risk.

- In the city, you'll have stop signs and lights every few hundred meters and it'll suck the fun out of an MT. With conservative speed limits, you won't really be able to pull in any gear and enjoy the high-rpm shifts

- Certain cars/models are considered high-risk due to statistically high incidences of theft and crashes. Not sure about Vancouver but in Ontario a civic insurance is higher than others in its class

- You'll easily be able to get MTs at a 15-20% lower price than equivalent ATs but it will take you 3-4X the time to sell it later
Deeps is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 11:52   #6260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Few things to keep in mind:

- Insurance for you will be atrocious if you have new CA license and no prior driving history. And MTs will further increase your premium as insurance companies view it as higher risk.
Thanks Deep! Would certainly heed the advice then.

But back to square once since the Civic Si won't have AT, and I would be wary of picking a Jetta with DSG (btw any idea why does the Jetta have such low resale?). Standard Civic or Corolla AT would be my last (and very reluctant) resort.

Which begets the original question, what 200bhp plus/5 seater/fun to drive and reliable sedan/hatch should I then be looking at?

Last edited by aah78 : 27th August 2019 at 19:30. Reason: Spacing.
Old 14th August 2019, 20:16   #6261
BHPian

Quote:
Which begets the original question, what 200bhp plus/5 seater/fun to drive and reliable sedan/hatch should I then be looking at?
Kia Optima Turbo
Accord Sport (Not 200 bhp plus but reasonably fun)
Mazda3 with the 2.5L engine (again not 200+ but fun)

Insurance in BC is not as atrocious as it is out east so check how much you will be paying and decide.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th August 2019 at 19:30. Reason: Quote trimmed.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 02:32   #6262
BHPian

Quote:

If you can find one, 2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport (1.6L turbo with 7 speed DSG) is what you need. These sold in very limited quantities (I somewhat regret not getting one when I was looking for a compact sedan to lease in 2017).

Also, try searching on Kijiji and Autotrader in addition to craigslist.

Last edited by infotech58 : 15th August 2019 at 02:35. Reason: grammar
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 01:50   #6263
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Maxima is another sensible choice.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th August 2019 at 19:30. Reason: .
Deeps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 23:27   #6264
BHPian

Quote:
But back to square once since the Civic Si won't have AT, and I would be wary of picking a Jetta with DSG (btw any idea why does the Jetta have such low resale?). Standard Civic or Corolla AT would be my last (and very reluctant) resort.

Get a VW GTi with DSG.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th August 2019 at 19:29. Reason: Excessive dots removed.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 09:52   #6265
BHPian

Now I am in market for a second car preferably a midsize SUV to fit 4 adults and 1 forward facing child seat. Initially I thought to buy F150 4*4 XLT trim or Subaru WRX with a manual Transmission. But home minister promptly rejected both the options. Maximum budget set is $30k but can be extended if I really like the car. Below are my shortlisted options.

1. 2016 Lexus RX350 ran 25k miles (with clean carfax) priced at $33k out the door with most of the options selected.

Pros :
- One of the best in the segment and resale value is high.
- Sweet v6 coupled with 8 speed gearbox.
- Spacious rear seat can accommodate 2 adults and child seat comfortably.
- Most reliable (Fill, shut n forget it kind of vehicle).
- Steering, Seat and Mirrors are memory linked with 3 positions (Easy to use for me and wife)

Cons :
- Not engaging to drive and more towards comfort oriented.
- Very small trunk compared to its size.
- I feel aged when I drive this .

2. 2017 BMW X3 s28i ran 22k miles (with clean carfax) priced at around $30k out the door with only basic options.

Pros :
- BMW ().
- Most engaging driving experience.
- 2 years and 26k miles warranty left.
- Trunk space is big compared to RX350.

Cons :
- Not so spacious second row.
- Not sure of actual running costs after warranty period.
- No spare wheel (I had few flat tires in my current car).

My final fall back option if none of this works is most trusted CRV or RAV-4 brand new top end version. I am skipping Subaru Forester and Nissan Rogue as I am already tired of my Nissan's CVT. I don't like either Pilot or Highlander after test driving the Lexus. Also the buttoned gearbox in Acura MDX pushed me away.

I have got some mouth watering deals on 3 years old Lexus ES350s in fully loaded trims at $25k. BMW 3 series and 4 series (Gran Coupe) versions also I can get for almost same budget but with less options compared to ES350. Is there any other good premium car I am missing in my budget. Comfortable seats are must in second row.
Old 23rd August 2019, 20:48   #6266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
Now I am in market for a second car preferably a midsize SUV to fit 4 adults and 1 forward facing child seat. Initially I thought to buy F150 4*4 XLT trim or Subaru WRX with a manual Transmission. But home minister promptly rejected both the options. Maximum budget set is $30k
You have pretty much gone thru all available options - only other I can think of are the GX460 or the 4Runner.

Former is definitely more luxurious than the later but both will fall short of the RX.
Old 23rd August 2019, 21:55   #6267
BHPian

Thanks. I just bought a Acura MDX CPO with technology package, 2016 model year ran for 35k miles. I am covered bumper to bumper for another 37 months and 37k miles. Power train warranty is till 100k miles. Also the dealer thrown in 2 free regular services. I paid total $29.6k drive out price here in Dallas Texas. This is going to be used as 5 seater most of the times and last row will be rarely used. With last row folded, I am getting huge trunk space.

I believe I will get used to that switch gearbox very soon. It is a compromise I am making as most of other options are not enticing. Skipped RX350 due to the smaller trunk and pricier. I will post a detailed ownership review soon.
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 23:07   #6268
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I just bought a Acura MDX CPO with technology package, 2016 model year ran for 35k miles. I am covered bumper to bumper for another 37 months and 37k miles. Power train warranty is till 100k miles. Also the dealer thrown in 2 free regular services. I paid total $29.6k drive out price here in Dallas Texas. This is going to be used as 5 seater most of the times and last row will be rarely used. With last row folded, I am getting huge trunk space.

I believe I will get used to that switch gearbox very soon. It is a compromise I am making as most of other options are not enticing. Skipped RX350 due to the smaller trunk and pricier. I will post a detailed ownership review soon.
Congratulations! Good and safe choice!
Old 26th August 2019, 07:29   #6269
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
VW GTi with DSG
^^This.

MK7 is one of the best platforms from VW.

So far, I have owned two GTIs (MK7 and MK7.5) and would highly recommend it.

Quote:
Is there any other good premium car I am missing in my budget. Comfortable seats are must in second row.
Have you looked into a Dodge Durango? It's a fun suv and you should be able to find a good one for your budget.

I am not a big fan of extended warranties but MaxCare (directly offered by FCA) is the main reason I bought mine. This plan is one of the beat in the market and pretty much covers most of the items in the vehicle. Also I was able to buy my plan for a great price through a dealer in Durango forum.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th August 2019 at 19:28. Reason: Quotes trimmed. Posts merged. i->I
Old 26th August 2019, 17:38   #6270
BHPian

I have been following this thread for the past 5 years or so and I am finally able to contribute as my membership was approved recently. Latest addition to my garage is 2019 GTI Rabbit. I finalized this deal early this month and took delivery over the weekend from one of the dealers in DC area.

Initially I was planning to get the last MK7.5 MY GTI sold in US (probably MY20) but i sealed the deal this month because of the following reasons.
- VW is ending People's warranty by MY19.
- Dealer offered a great deal.
- Rabbit trim will be a little rare in the future as US only gets 3000 units (Black exterior with DSG is one out of 250 units sold).
- Cloth seats will only be available in the base trim for MY20 and i didn't want the base trim.
- Rabbit trim offers most of the features which I want and I wanted a vehicle with less tech in it.

I am purchasing my second GTI from the same dealer in the past 3 years and my sales person offered a great deal. MSRP was $31,375 and the selling price before TTL was $24,695. Total discount was around $6700. PM if you are in the market for a VW and I can pass on my sales guy's information. He is a no non sense guy to deal with.

I have bought most of my vehicles from dealers in DC area even though I live in MI and we always get a good road trip while taking delivery of our vehicle. We prefer driving through the inner roads as much as we can and this trip was very special as its the first proper road trip with our 7 month old baby.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th August 2019 at 19:32. Reason: i->I

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks