Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2016, 18:56   #5506
BHPian

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

@Jomz Welcome to the club! The only downside is the slight "bro" image but fun per dollar spent is extremely high. Plan to keep it stock for now? Daily driver ? You are in Indianapolis right? Snow tires and rims? Did you get clear bra?
Old 16th September 2016, 19:21   #5507
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
@Jomz Welcome to the club! The only downside is the slight "bro" image but fun per dollar spent is extremely high. Plan to keep it stock for now? Daily driver ? You are in Indianapolis right? Snow tires and rims? Did you get clear bra?
Thanks Abhijeet. I guess Sti's on the forum outnumber even Corollas.

I was missing the bro image with the Acura. That is why STi. It will be the daily driver. I'm keeping it stock. But I might get a tune when the powertrain warranty is up. I moved to detroit - but that means I need snow tires. I'm still in the break in period. I need to see what the car can do after the 4k rpm mark.

I need to get clear bra also. I'm really broke, so waiting for a couple of paychecks to get all.

How is your STi?? Any mods yet??

Last edited by Jomz : 16th September 2016 at 19:22.
Old 16th September 2016, 19:34   #5508
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, Jomz!
It is just amazing how the STI is able to pull off that spoiler so well! It's genius.
Old 16th September 2016, 23:27   #5509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
My new toy. Feels normal at work, parked 2 cars away from a big shots' Italia
Congrats Jomz! Welcome to the club.

Quote:
Thanks Abhijeet. I guess Sti's on the forum outnumber even Corollas.

I was missing the bro image with the Acura. That is why STi. It will be the daily driver. I'm keeping it stock. But I might get a tune when the powertrain warranty is up. I moved to detroit - but that means I need snow tires. I'm still in the break in period. I need to see what the car can do after the 4k rpm mark.

I need to get clear bra also. I'm really broke, so waiting for a couple of paychecks to get all.

How is your STi?? Any mods yet??
Clear Bra is a good idea at least for protection against rock chips. Since WRB pearl is tri coat paint, the touch up paint does not match at all. I have a few on mine and have to live with that.
Old 17th September 2016, 02:32   #5510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatham.psb View Post
Congrats Jomz! Welcome to the club.

Clear Bra is a good idea at least for protection against rock chips. Since WRB pearl is tri coat paint, the touch up paint does not match at all. I have a few on mine and have to live with that.
I'm thinking, do you have any chips on the bumper, or just on the hood & fenders?

The good Dr, must be smiling- because he got Silver. No hood chips.
Old 17th September 2016, 03:09   #5511
BHPian

Quote:
I'm thinking, do you have any chips on the bumper, or just on the hood & fenders?

The good Dr, must be smiling- because he got Silver. No hood chips.
I have a few small ones on the fenders and door. Hood looks to be fine as I make it a point to not follow anyone closely. It's not so severe, just that touch up pens wont work for these chips as the color wont match.

Since you will be driving in snow, you might face more issues. But then again, if the cost of the clear bra equals the cost of getting repainted few years down the line, then don't worry too much. These cars are meant to be driven hard.
Old 17th September 2016, 03:28   #5512
BHPian

Quote:
That's a great choice you made. If i need a 4 door my first choice would be the sti.

Your ride have a great company there Gt350, camaro, eclipse, Italia

congarts!!! enjoy your ride.
Old 17th September 2016, 03:52   #5513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your new Toy

That GT350 is a confusing one as the color scheme matches that of a Hertz GT. So its either a black GT350 from factor & the owner got golden stripes later or a Hertz GTH with GT350 rear valence.
Old 24th September 2016, 02:36   #5514
BHPian

Need guidance on selling car in the US

hi All,

I am planning to sell my car for the first time in the US and need some guidance.

I posted the Ad with pictures on craigstlist.

within 11 minutes i received a text on my cell phone asking me to send an email and below is the conversation on email:

************************************************** *****************Karthik <karthikd21@gmail.com> 23 September 2016 at 11:23
To: <seller>
Hi <seller>,

Accord is still up for sale. Let me know how you would like to go about it

Regards,
Karthik

<seller> <<<seller>>> 23 September 2016 at 12:41
To: Karthik <karthikd21@gmail.com>
Whats the condition ?I'm just asking about it to know the condition of it, so can you assure me i will not be disappointed? also no shipment involved as i have a mover that will come for it, I can only pay you via one of the fastest and secure way to pay online (PayPal) because i don't bring my credit card aboard so i can only do online transfer from my account.. Do You Have A Verified PayPal account? Let me know asap so i can arrange the payment through PayPal. my shipper will be coming to pick it up as soon as the payment clears into your account,and it would be my pleasure buying this from you so i would ask some question before we go on

1 Are you the first owner of it?
2 Why are you selling it?
3 When have you been using it?
4 what's your last asking price?
5 Do you have a paypal account?

Looking forward to read back from you
Best Regards

Karthik <karthikd21@gmail.com> 23 September 2016 at 13:02
To: <seller> <<<seller>>>
hi,

You have seen the pictures already from my post, so you know the aesthetic condition of it. From a mechanical standpoint, car drives great. I have just been using it to move around house, grocery shopping etc. One thing you need to know if that the display of mileage is not clearly visible. I bought the car when it had run about 120000 and in dec 2015 and have drive about 5000 miles since then. You can request for a carfax report for this.

Further answers below:

1 Are you the first owner of it?
I am not the first owner. I am the fifth owner.

2 Why are you selling it?
I bought an SUV and i am the only one driving. So, this is not being used much and i have to clear the loan i applied against the SUV

3 When have you been using it?
Only around home. I dont even go to office. i work from home

4 what's your last asking price?
I could come down to 3550$

5 Do you have a paypal account?
I dont have one. but, will create one.

Few questions from my side:
1. Where are you residing?
2. When would you come for title transfer? why cant you pay in cash when we meet? I prefer cash transaction
3. If you are not coming for transfer, how would we go about it? I would need a copy of your driver's license and proof of address if you are not coming in person

[Quoted text hidden]
--
- Karthik

<seller> <<<seller>>> 23 September 2016 at 13:05
I'm currently at fort Carson Military Base and i will be having a private pick up company that will come for the pick up at your location and sign all necessary document on my behalf after the payment has been cleared and I'm not able to come for the Picking up and signing of paper works by myself becuase we are not allowed to leave the base not until after the ending of the year

Karthik <karthikd21@gmail.com> 23 September 2016 at 13:09
To: <seller> <<<seller>>>
Thanks. I am somehow not very convinced using paypal and would like to look for local buyers if possible. If not, i will keep you posted.

Thanks
Karthik

On 23 September 2016 at 13:05, <seller> <<<seller>>> wrote:
I'm currently at fort Carson Military Base and i will be having a private pick up company that will come for the pick up at your location and sign all necessary document on my behalf after the payment has been cleared and I'm not able to come for the Picking up and signing of paper works by myself becuase we are not allowed to leave the base not until after the ending of the year

--
- Karthik

<seller> <<<seller>>> 23 September 2016 at 13:11
I really appreciate your cooperation. Though, I'm kind of new to buying online, but I think I've had some experience from co-workers who are very conversant with purchasing stuffs on-line using PayPal & understanding perfectly how it works. I wish to inform you PayPal is the best government approved on-line form of payment which protects its customers, its reliable, safe & easy to use PayPal, I will advice you log on to their website at www.paypal.com to setup an account. Moreover, I think it should be a 3-5 mins registration process.

I looked up scams on craigslist on the internet and people advise against using paypal.

Do you think its worth considering?

Thanks in advance!

Karthik
Old 24th September 2016, 09:27   #5515
BHPian

Re: Need guidance on selling car in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikd21 View Post
hi All,

I looked up scams on craigslist on the internet and people advise against using paypal.

Do you think its worth considering?

Thanks in advance!

Karthik
I have sold and bought many cars for many friends in last few years using Craigslist. This is the most common scam that I have come across where buyer won't turn up and would insist on PayPal payment.
My advise would be to stay away and deal with people in person, preferably at a public place. In case, the buyer is interested, he will get the car fax. Alternatively, you can keep a copy of car fax if you want to spend a little money. When the buyer likes the car, you sign the title and take money in bank. That is the simplest, no hassles sale. In case you need to speak, feel free to message me. Good luck with the sale.

Regards

Himanshu
bhardwhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 10:05   #5516
Team-BHP Support

There are these ways of selling your car in the US:

1) Craiglist: can range from good to very bad experiences. But you're in control of the price and the audience is generally large.

If you are meeting a prospective buyer off CG,

- meet them at a public place: a library, post office, near a fire station
- don't hand over any documents till you receive the entire payment, as a completed transaction, in your account
- let DMV know immediately that you've sold the car

2) Used car dealer: this is the safest and easiest transaction; but also the one where you can probably expect the least price

You can literally walk to the dealer, have the car evaluated and walk out with a promise of price

PS: Since you've listed your min. price at $3550, I get the sense this is a fairly old car so I doubt a lot of dealers with used car sections will be interested

3) Acquaintance: depending on how reliable this person is, this can be a comfortable or a headache in getting the money

--

- Please never quote your lowest price rightaway, leaves no room for negotiation on your part
- Please don't tell anyone, especially online, that you're new to this. It only encourages the frauds
- The onus of getting the CarFax report is theirs; don't end up paying it for it, for them
- Stick with people in your town
- Once you finalize a deal, keep a copy of their DL with you

Last edited by libranof1987 : 24th September 2016 at 10:07.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 11:24   #5517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
I have sold and bought many cars for many friends in last few years using Craigslist. This is the most common scam that I have come across where buyer won't turn up and would insist on PayPal payment.
Himanshu
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
There are these ways of selling your car in the US:
Thanks so much for all these details. this is definitely helpful. One last question, when i had bought the car 9 months ago, i got the paperwork done at a currency exchange. I looked up all the documentation they had given and i dont see a title in my name, they have just given a copy of the previous title with my signature on it. Is this right? or would i get a fresh title when i go to the DMV or Currency exchange center when i am about to transfer the ownership.

I spoke to one of my US colleagues and he recommended to stay away from people who say they can only transfer via PayPal and asked me to wait for a cash transaction locally. So, i am staying away from the person with whom i was dealing in the morning
Old 24th September 2016, 11:54   #5518
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I looked up all the documentation they had given and i dont see a title in my name, they have just given a copy of the previous title with my signature on it. Is this right? or would i get a fresh title when i go to the DMV or Currency exchange center when i am about to transfer the ownership.
You don't have the title in your name?! You need to get it from DMV asap. DMV allows you to sign up online and see your vehicle details. Do that, to make sure the ownership was transferred in your name when you bought it.

Nobody will buy a car from you if the title isn't in your name.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 12:48   #5519
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Craigslist is a super scam nowadays. When we shut shop in the US about a year back, we used an App called OfferUp which worked superbly.
Maybe you may want to try it.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 15:47   #5520
BHPian

Quote:
also no shipment involved as i have a mover that will come for it, I can only pay you via one of the fastest and secure way to pay online (PayPal) because i don't bring my credit card aboard so i can only do online transfer from my account.. Do You Have A Verified PayPal account? Let me know asap so i can arrange the payment through PayPal. my shipper will be coming to pick it up as soon as the payment clears into your account,and it would be my pleasure buying this from you so i would ask some question before we go on
If i am not wrong (would love to be correct) in old days
no shipment + Paypal was extremely risky.

payment would be in hold in Paypal till tracking number is given.

if there is no tracking number but a pickup, then the buyer can open a dispute with paypal that seller did not shipped the item and paypal would refund the complete amount. You will loose the money and the car. as a seller it is important for you to have a tracking number with proof that you sent the correct item (i.e your car).
amit_arya is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks