Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2014, 05:40   #4006
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Speaking of Civic SI, i wonder if it is really a fun to drive car after watching this video:

I have not personally driven one so I can't say for sure. My neighbor has an Accord and when i mentioned this to him, he says his car also does this.

Do we have any SI owners here?
I don't own one, but I've driven an Si for a friend who wondered what was wrong with his shifter. The 'rev-hang' feature that the guy in the video talks about is Honda's stupid formula to come up with something to address/reduce(?) emission regs. I know it sounds ludicrous.

And it is irritating for a guy who doesn't know how to shift fast enough (why then would you buy an Si??), while it is equally ridiculous for Honda to put this feature on the Si (folks who cared about emissions could go buy a normal Civic!!). But for those who can shift while rev-matching and can do it in a reasonable half-second, this isn't that big an issue.

On the other hand, the car itself is pretty crap. Comparing it to my 14 year old 5th gen Prelude, it feels heavy (even though they quote it at Prelude matching 2800lbs), roll-happy and slow. It also has considerably less power (2011 driven).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Interesting indeed, you neighbor has a Stick shift Accord? Form what i have read on Accord forums, the SI is quicker than V6 Auto but slower than V6 manual.

Again this is something that only a hardcode manual guy would notice & thats how Honda is getting away with it.
You don't need to be hardcore manual to notice it, because hardcore manual guys should be able to shift fast enough to not let it affect the shift. It's the guys who want to be seen as enthusiasts who're complaining. Else they'd have bought something better in the first place. But you sure as hell shouldn't notice it in an automatic - this is specific to manuals. And I believe a Flashpro swipe should be able to fix it if you simply had to have it.

As for the question itself - for $8k he'd get a pretty decently conditioned '06 RSX - fun, 8k-redline and reliable, economical daily!

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th August 2014 at 19:37. Reason: Removed video link in quoted post to reduce post size for mobile readers. Thanks
Activ8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 05:48   #4007
BHPian

Moved to US(Massachusetts),3 weeks back.

Looking for a Used car below 10 grands,a proper sedan or SUV.

Please pour in your suggestions and where to look online.

Planning to use it until i get my roots stable here.
Old 11th August 2014, 18:38   #4008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
I'm back on the saddle again...
Congo VLOCT! She is a Stunner!!
Where is your trademark write up - Your Thought process, arriving at the bike et all.

The price is pretty good as well, I havent come across a similar bike for under $13K in Louisville.
ToroRosso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 18:47   #4009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
I'm back on the saddle again...

2012 Anniversary Edition HD VRSCDX- aka. The Vrod.
Congratulations! That is indeed a breathtaking beaut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Where is your trademark write up - Your Thought process, arriving at the bike et all.
+1 to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post

Welcome! Good to have another addition to the north eastern TBHPians! Where in Mass are you located? I am roughly 45 minutes away from Boston, on a light traffic day.

I'd start with autotrader.com and carmax. What is your definition of a "proper" sedan? Do you have any experience of driving in the snow?
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 19:08   #4010
BHPian

Quote:

Welcome to the NE. Where in Boston ? I'm in RI these days.

You may want to start with caragurus.com. Indians usually prefer the toyotas and hondas, for their resale value. Determine if this would be a family car. If yes, how many car seats you plan to use. If you have more than 1 car seat, it may make sense to get a higher GC vehicle, here you don't have to bend too low often.

If it's not a family car, it's just you, then it's a easy job. Anything that runs would just be fine.
Old 11th August 2014, 20:31   #4011
BHPian

Quote:
Anybody changed the spark plugs of their car recently? Themselves?
Do you need to do it @30k miles? Would warranty be affected if you do it yourself?
Old 11th August 2014, 21:08   #4012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you need to do it @30k miles? Would warranty be affected if you do it yourself?
Yes. The owners manual leaves no room to interpretation over there. It says "Change spark plugs" at 32K. And no, warranty wont be affected, unless perhaps I mess up and dont screw them in properly.
Old 12th August 2014, 00:30   #4013
BHPian

Quote:
I mess up and dont screw them in properly.
Ah, I had done for my F150 and i didnot enjoy it. But had a couple of guys looking over my shoulder so risk was very minimal.
Old 12th August 2014, 01:10   #4014
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome! Good to have another addition to the north eastern TBHPians! Where in Mass are you located? I am roughly 45 minutes away from Boston, on a light traffic day.

I'd start with autotrader.com and carmax. What is your definition of a "proper" sedan? Do you have any experience of driving in the snow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Welcome to the NE. Where in Boston ? I'm in RI these days.

You may want to start with caragurus.com. Indians usually prefer the toyotas and hondas, for their resale value. Determine if this would be a family car. If yes, how many car seats you plan to use. If you have more than 1 car seat, it may make sense to get a higher GC vehicle, here you don't have to bend too low often.

If it's not a family car, it's just you, then it's a easy job. Anything that runs would just be fine.
Thanks for the quick help and warm welcome.
I reside at Worcester.
I was looking for a sedan and not coupes or 2 doors.
My wife owns a Subaru Impreza which is a AWD and good for the snows.Personally im not used to driving in any condition other than dry or wet roads.

Im open to any brands since i wont be selling it in next 2 years.

I did bump into few.
http://www.carfax.com/vehicles/1HGCM...rd-ex--waltham

http://www.carfax.com/vehicles/2CNDL...-lt--wakefield

It is just a rough look through and hope to find something better on the way.
Suggestions are always welcome.
Old 12th August 2014, 01:45   #4015
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick help and warm welcome.
I reside at Worcester.
I was looking for a sedan and not coupes or 2 doors...
Welcome to the Snow land. It also helps to know if you have kiddo's or your pref is AWD? or a FWD will do?

Personally, If you ask me the Equinoxes are rattle boxes and act like if something has gone horribly wrong with them at even 30-50K. I would suggest go for a Sedan anytime.

Craigslist is one other better option, where you can get owner based cars. Just makes sure if you are getting it financed you might have to go via a Used car dealership.
Old 12th August 2014, 02:55   #4016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Welcome to the Snow land. It also helps to know if you have kiddo's or your pref is AWD? or a FWD will do?

Personally, If you ask me the Equinoxes are rattle boxes and act like if something has gone horribly wrong with them at even 30-50K. I would suggest go for a Sedan anytime.

Craigslist is one other better option, where you can get owner based cars. Just makes sure if you are getting it financed you might have to go via a Used car dealership.
Thanks for the pointer.Frankly im not well versed in cars running in the US,so blindly went for cars by mileage and cost.

Did find a 2009 Subaru Forester for 9.5 grands at a used car dealership.
I do feel an AWD would help out in these parts of the US but don't want to overshoot the budget by a lot.

http://www.kbb.com/cars-for-sale/det...p=1&s=yeardesc
Old 12th August 2014, 03:46   #4017
BHPian

Quote:

The price is pretty good as well, I havent come across a similar bike for under $13K in Louisville.
Thanks Torro. I've started a new thread on the V-ROD. However, I can only post it to the Ownership thread after I have taken possession of it, as per forum rules. The bike is still in East Coast and once it's here, I'll move the thread from the Assembly to the Ownership thread.

Quote:
Congratulations! That is indeed a breathtaking beaut.
Thanks Amitoj.

Glad you guys liked it. You can imagine my impatience right now. However, I am holding it together somehow and trying not to get too excited. I've never ridden a 640 lb behemoth with 130 bhp, 81 lb.ft Torque (Duc was 150 bhp, < 400 lbs). This is in no way a bike to trifle with and the last thing I want is to get carried away and promptly dump it.

Manhandling that weight/power combo is going to take some time to get used to. Apparently, once you get the technique down, the handling gets neutral and becomes second nature. I'm curious to see if I can establish/maintain the kind of almost telepathic link that I could with the Duc, with the Rod. Will soon find out.
VLOCT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 15:36   #4018
Senior - BHPian

Guys, what is the feedback for 2010+ Volkswagen GTIs? I know the automatics suffer from the typical DSG issues but what about the ones with manual transmission?
Old 13th August 2014, 20:29   #4019
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, what is the feedback for 2010+ Volkswagen GTIs? I know the automatics suffer from the typical DSG issues but what about the ones with manual transmission?
www.vwvortex.com , It has pretty much all Info on GTI's.

A friend has a 2005, bought in 2010 for 16k. Now he can't even sell it for like 8k.
Terrible resale. Fun car though.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 21:01   #4020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
www.vwvortex.com , It has pretty much all Info on GTI's.

A friend has a 2005, bought in 2010 for 16k. Now he can't even sell it for like 8k.
Terrible resale. Fun car though.
Oooh. 2010 was the year when the much improved Mk6 was launched. Your friend is trying to sell a nearly 10 year old car which is also 2 generations old, which IMO he bought at a high price to begin with!! Wont exactly call it the car's fault.

But my question was related to reliability issues. Thanks for the link. That should help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks