Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 21:38   #4036
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

A C7 Z06 for $80K is really mind boggling. What a steal? Even better steal would be the C6 ZR1. Wow..
Old 25th August 2014, 21:56   #4037
Senior - BHPian

Re: Short term car purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
- Rent a car for 4 months, but that would be a big hit, considering economy rentals are about $500 a month + I am guessing an equal amount for insurance.
- Any other suggestions ?
There are smaller (non mainstream) rental car agencies that give out rental cars with insurance. I know people in the Detroit area who have rented cars for 400$ including insurance. There is no guarantee that it can happen, but it is worth checking out the same - ask other friends, check out Sulekha - maybe post something on some of these forums.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 23:06   #4038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Guys, what is the feedback for 2010+ Volkswagen GTIs? I know the automatics suffer from the typical DSG issues but what about the ones with manual transmission?
Goddammit! It is as if they knew what I was thinking and released these commercials just to make me stay put

Old 26th August 2014, 17:54   #4039
BHPian

Quote:
Goddammit!
But, were you contemplating TSi as replacement for Charger? I thought it would be your 3rd vehicle. You had your Charger's power bumped to around 400 rite?
ToroRosso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 18:11   #4040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
But, were you contemplating TSi as replacement for Charger? I thought it would be your 3rd vehicle. You had your Charger's power bumped to around 400 rite?
Well, I have almost convinced myself that since I am the only one in the Charger most of the times, I should replace it with something smaller and equally fun to drive, even if it meant going down a few BHPs (now that i think about it, a few meant nearly 200)
I am hoping what the VW GTI lacks in power, it makes up for it with a turbo charged engine, a stick shift and tight handling. Better mileage wont hurt either.
But, all said and done, the $$$ numbers have to make sense. There is really no point in doing this if all i end up saving is barely a 100 dollars a month.
Old 26th August 2014, 20:55   #4041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
There are smaller (non mainstream) rental car agencies that give out rental cars with insurance. I know people in the Detroit area who have rented cars for 400$ including insurance.
$400 sounds reasonable.. But not able to find such a place here in Nashville, so far.

Have you guys heard of Rent-A-Wreck ? The nearest location is Knoxville though. Any idea how much does it cost to rent a car for a month there, with Insurance ?
Old 26th August 2014, 21:01   #4042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
$400 sounds reasonable.. But not able to find such a place here in Nashville, so far.

Have you guys heard of Rent-A-Wreck ? The nearest location is Knoxville though. Any idea how much does it cost to rent a car for a month there, with Insurance ?
I haven't heard of rent a wreck - tried an online quote, but some locations don't do that. Maybe its worth giving them a call?
Quote:
even if it meant going down a few BHPs (now that i think about it, a few meant nearly 200)
I am hoping what the VW GTI lacks in power, it makes up for it with a turbo charged engine, a stick shift and tight handling.
You can get a simple APR tuned chip mod - known to get you a lot more horsepower for not a lot of money. Get a 3-4 year old GTI and get a chip - and you would be looking more at a 100 - 150 bhp deficit.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 22:15   #4043
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I have almost convinced myself that since I am the only one in the Charger most of the times, I should replace it with something smaller and equally fun to drive, even if it meant going down a few BHPs (now that i think about it, a few meant nearly 200)
I am hoping what the VW GTI lacks in power, it makes up for it with a turbo charged engine, a stick shift and tight handling. Better mileage wont hurt either.
But, all said and done, the $$$ numbers have to make sense. There is really no point in doing this if all i end up saving is barely a 100 dollars a month.
How bout STi?

Quote:

I thought Rent-a-Wreck was primarily for old classic cars, maybe its specific to LA branch.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 22:31   #4044
BHPian

Quote:
You would be missing only ~80 Hp if you go APR route.

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_up..._gen3_mqb.html

But this bump is only for the 2015's. the 2014 does not up the power by ~100Hp.

.... Even I'm in the same boat as you. I need to replace the ageing Corolla, And it is mostly a me only car with ~100 miles (highway - mostly 80mph) per day driving.

Evo & STi have crappy mpg.
WRX looks promising
CPO FR-s' are like 19k, low on power, but I like to mash the pedal, rev hard and still be within legal speed.
C6 vette also fits the bill, But once I've seen the C7, the C6 looks dated. 2015 Mustang is also great, but in my neck of woods, it just screams redneck car.

I have an unique requirement though. I've picked up road biking and would like the car to carry mine and my wife's bike.I'm leaning towards the WRX. Where is the wagon Subaru??

Financially, The best advice I got is, give the Corolla a detail, Change oil and keep her running.
Jomz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 22:32   #4045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Hi guys, I need help from you TBHPians at USA.

My brother is relocating to US (Minneapolis) this coming Sunday and has shortlisted 1. Honda Accord, 2. Honda CRV, 3 Mazda CX5 and Hyundai Santa Fe to buy very soon on arriving at his place there.
The location that you have mentioned would require an AWD vehicle, I suggest he leases an AWD or buy a used one.

Quote:
The caveat here is, his assignment is ending for sure in Dec'14. So we are dilly dallying on whether to buy a car for 4 months or not.
What are the cheapest short term car options out there ?
Will it be cheaper to :
- Buy a cheap CamCordIma now, hope to sell it for minimal loss after 4 months.
- Rent a car for 4 months, but that would be a big hit, considering economy rentals are about $500 a month + I am guessing an equal amount for insurance.
- Any other suggestions ?
I am going to suggest something different, but a good condition & a relatively newer used car & sell it before he leaves, being new the maintenance would be low & being used will mean that his loss with depreciation would be very less.

I suggested check for one or two generation old Accord/Altima/Camry at Carmax or similar. He can simply, i think he can get these for an effective depreciation of not more than a grand or two.
Old 27th August 2014, 00:43   #4046
Senior - BHPian

All very good advice.
But, first, will i get a good deal on a used GTI? There is a certified 2011 GTI available for under 20K and it has done less than 30k miles.
Secondly, what will i get for my car? KBB says 24K but then i lose the non transferable extended bumper to bumper warranty and also the subscription to satellite radio (i am assuming this is non transferable)
The two have to meet for me to make financial sense. My daily commute is somewhere around 20 miles total, so mileage is not that big a concern. Extended highway drives give me 24-25 mpg as well.
I also see cars similar to mine listed for roughly 28K.
Anyway, I will have to do some legwork i guess to get my answers.
Old 27th August 2014, 01:00   #4047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
also the subscription to satellite radio (i am assuming this is non transferable)
Are you on your trial Subscription or Paid one post trial? Paid one can be transferred

Transfer Subscription XM Radio
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 01:11   #4048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Are you on your trial Subscription or Paid one post trial? Paid one can be transferred
Thanks! I had a feeling it could be transferable.
Well, that's one thing off my mind.

Now to see whether the whole thing makes financial sense or not.
Old 27th August 2014, 01:16   #4049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I had a feeling it could be transferable.
Well, that's one thing off my mind.

Now to see whether the whole thing makes financial sense or not.
Looks like its that time of the year, I too have got an upgrade bug but too many variables, financial one being the biggest one(i.e. its not a can I upgrade question but should I one) lost a few nights of good sleep over it
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 01:31   #4050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Looks like its that time of the year, I too have got an upgrade bug but too many variables, financial one being the biggest one(i.e. its not a can I upgrade question but should I one) lost a few nights of good sleep over it
Upgrades, you can get good deals, i think.
I am looking at a downgrade here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks