Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2014, 01:56   #4126
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
I take back my words! Sorry for causing some confusion.

The numbers are right. 31k principal with 1 year payments at 10%. While closing i had to payoff 27k.

All coz i didnt have a credit score.

Maddy
Did you try a quote from any credit unions? 10% is too high (even for no credit history). I've seen credit unions offer car loans at 4% for people with no credit history.
Old 21st September 2014, 03:19   #4127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
On friday, we are going to get a max of 58 and min of 38
So, yeah the cold has started here. We may get a few scattered days of 70+ weather but that is it for this year.
Count your blessings man. We're hitting 10's & 20's every morning here in Michigan already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Well, I give up. These requirements are hard to meet. I was maybe asking for too much. I did get an offer of 25K for the charger. But the other side of the equation didn't work out.

I was about to get a 2011 Mazdaspeed3 with 35K miles on it. But when I did the maths, I was hardly saving much for the car i was getting.

Anyway, reality checked and back to the Charger now.

I should change those spark plugs now i guess

Thanks for all your help and advice. Trust me it was not for nothing!
Never quite understood why turbocharged and fuel-efficient manual were in your 'must-have' list. That kind of restricted your options to the Golf GTi and WRX with all the rest of your list factored in. If it's your daily driver, what you need is fun and fuel efficient with a modicum of practicality thrown in for good measure. It's always more fun to drive a slow car fast than a big power car. More fun on-ramps and off-ramps and to the golf course.

Mazda's new 3 is going to be (so far you only get the 2L 155hp w/ manual ) offered with the 2.5L in manual - that's 184hp and 185Nm at 2800lbs. Power to weight, the Charger might still have it beat, but for chuckability, there's no competition. And a healthy 39mpg hwy/29mpg city!!! With the 16" rims you can get a decent set of Direzza Z2's for summer and Blizzaks for Winter and trust me, you wouldn't catch yourself in your Charger after a month.
Activ8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 04:51   #4128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
Count your blessings man. We're hitting 10's & 20's every morning here in Michigan already.

Never quite understood why turbocharged and fuel-efficient manual were in your 'must-have' list. That kind of restricted your options to the Golf GTi and WRX with all the rest of your list factored in. If it's your daily driver, what you need is fun and fuel efficient with a modicum of practicality thrown in for good measure. It's always more fun to drive a slow car fast than a big power car. More fun on-ramps and off-ramps and to the golf course.

Mazda's new 3 is going to be (so far you only get the 2L 155hp w/ manual ) offered with the 2.5L in manual - that's 184hp and 185Nm at 2800lbs. Power to weight, the Charger might still have it beat, but for chuckability, there's no competition. And a healthy 39mpg hwy/29mpg city!!! With the 16" rims you can get a decent set of Direzza Z2's for summer and Blizzaks for Winter and trust me, you wouldn't catch yourself in your Charger after a month.
Jeeze 10s and 20s already! I don't envy you.

I had listed fuel efficient as my requirement but i was willing to look the other way over this one Thats why I had the Mazdaspeed in there too. And manual, because it is more fun to go through the gears yourself than to watch the computer do it for you.

And turbo, just because

Anyway, a turbocharged manual fun to drive car still remains my holy grail. Only next time when I enter the market, I will hopefully have deeper pockets!
Old 23rd September 2014, 05:25   #4129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Did you try a quote from any credit unions? 10% is too high (even for no credit history). I've seen credit unions offer car loans at 4% for people with no credit history.
I did try it but the credit unions too were unwilling to touch without any history. Finally college degree certificate helped.

Changed to DCU in a years time at 2.4%.

Query to all bikers out here. My handles vibrates and this is causing some discomfort. Is the bar end weights the only way to go? Any suggestions on brands?

Second: Do i need steering Dampers?
Third: Would i need to have the tank protector and the side tank huggers? These stuff is what gets me confused.

Maddy
Old 24th September 2014, 22:09   #4130
BHPian

Quote:
I did try it but the credit unions too were unwilling to touch without any history. Finally college degree certificate helped.

Changed to DCU in a years time at 2.4%.

Query to all bikers out here. My handles vibrates and this is causing some discomfort. Is the bar end weights the only way to go? Any suggestions on brands?

Third: Would i need to have the tank protector and the side tank huggers? These stuff is what gets me confused.

Maddy
Handle vibration could be due to multiple reasons, bad tires, low tire pressure, wheel balancing, or steering bearings.
If you add/remove weights, I'd suggest getting it done at the shop to ensure the balance is correct.

Its definitely good to have a damper, but they help more at track days since you make faster and lot more turns compared to street.

Tank protector is good to protect the face of the tank where your belt buckle could potentially touch.
Side huggers are really good, especially if you hit canyons or track days. It helps grip you leg when you want to knee drag. I use Stomp Grips, but some say Tech Spec is equally good.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 02:11   #4131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Handle vibration could be due to multiple reasons, bad tires, low tire pressure, wheel balancing, or steering bearings.
If you add/remove weights, I'd suggest getting it done at the shop to ensure the balance is correct.

Its definitely good to have a damper, but they help more at track days since you make faster and lot more turns compared to street.

Tank protector is good to protect the face of the tank where your belt buckle could potentially touch.
Side huggers are really good, especially if you hit canyons or track days. It helps grip you leg when you want to knee drag. I use Stomp Grips, but some say Tech Spec is equally good.
Thanks Kraft! Giving it to the shop today. The guy who i bought it from is its mechanic.

Following things needs checked:
1) Rear brakes are giving a screech.
2) Handlebar end weights to try reduce vibrations.
3) I may look for a small windscreen to see if there is any difference touring.
4) Chain cleaning.
5) Tank protector and hugger.

Will let you know what the costs were.

On another note, do check this article on why you should never finance your car . Gives some nice hints or suggestions.
http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/heres-...e-a-1638384343

Maddy
Old 25th September 2014, 03:42   #4132
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Kraft! Giving it to the shop today. The guy who i bought it from is its mechanic.

Following things needs checked:
1) Rear brakes are giving a screech.
2) Handlebar end weights to try reduce vibrations.
3) I may look for a small windscreen to see if there is any difference touring.
4) Chain cleaning.
5) Tank protector and hugger.

Will let you know what the costs were.

Maddy
Yes I have heard the windshield make a lot of difference, esp since your posture is straight it can get tough on the freeways. My friend struggles on his Cbr500f due to lack of the windshield.

Start learning to clean chain and oil change your self unless your mechanic doesn't charge you crazy amount
Old 25th September 2014, 04:56   #4133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Yes I have heard the windshield make a lot of difference, esp since your posture is straight it can get tough on the freeways. My friend struggles on his Cbr500f due to lack of the windshield.

Start learning to clean chain and oil change your self unless your mechanic doesn't charge you crazy amount
The freeway windblast is quite a lot. Looking at a small windscreen so lets see what i get. The guys there charge 20 for a chain cleaning. I will have to start learning this to prevent loosing a limb doing it.

Maddy
Old 25th September 2014, 06:08   #4134
BANNED

Quote:
Maddy
Maddy,
What bike did you buy? Handle bar end weights may help, but not by much if it already has one. What kind of gloves do you wear? I would try something with very thick padding. Also, gripping the handlebar very lightly helps. While riding in a straight line you dont need to hold the handlebars anyways

Clean your chain with a tooth brush.
Lube it using a spray able lube.

Do an online search and look for DIY youtube videos before asking mechanic to do anything. Ride on!
prasadee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 21:22   #4135
BHPian

Re: Help for buying a used car in the United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Getting to downtown from DP should be easy - you have UP - NW Metra line that goes through there - try and be as close to the train line as possible. If you are going to be more in Lincolnshire than in Downtown (like 4 days of a week), I would suggest moving closer to Lincolnshire - unless you have a particular reason to be in DP. The days you have to get to downtown, you can definitely hop on to a train from a lot of different places. Traffic and winter driving - you cannot avoid, but you can definitely try to reduce.

Don't get hung up on a brand/car as yet - I would suggest doing some more online research, coming here and then looking up some cars and driving them. 6000$ max should give you a few options - I know my good friend got a 2003 Corolla for 6k last year - had about 130k miles. That should be roughly what you can get for that price.

Hey vineethvazhayil,

I bought a used 2013 Altima 2.5 S which had clocked 13000 miles for $16000 from a dealer. Unfortunately, my work location is now Milwaukee which means i drive to & from Chicago everyday(140 miles a day). I moved to Wheeling now, from DP. Suggestions from you & fellow bhpian's immensely helped I must say. Thanks again!
AstaAddict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 03:01   #4136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Maddy,
What bike did you buy? Handle bar end weights may help, but not by much if it already has one. What kind of gloves do you wear? I would try something with very thick padding. Also, gripping the handlebar very lightly helps. While riding in a straight line you dont need to hold the handlebars anyways

Clean your chain with a tooth brush.
Lube it using a spray able lube.

Do an online search and look for DIY Youtube videos before asking mechanic to do anything. Ride on!
Got a ducati montser 696.

Update: Brakes were cleaned so the screeching noise is off.$35
Chain lubed $20

Getting a padded grip instead of bar end weights as i have a bar end mirror. $10
Getting the tank protector and the grip installed. $50
Sabre windscreen. This was the most confusing part and its about $60.

Close to $170 for all this. I need to start doing stuff myself more.

Piece of advice for anyone looking at motorcycles. The accessories will drive you nuts as you will be like a kid in a candy store.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 05:50   #4137
BANNED

Quote:
That has certainly been a lot of fun. You can swap out different parts, buy things used, sell other parts, etc. Buy basic tools, multi-meter, tickle charger, and things like that. It helps if you have a garage. You can leave an unfinished job, run to the store if needed. Or stop midway and return to the job next day after seeking help from online forums /friends. Join a Ducati group, or host a party to do specific things like oil change. Provide free beer, and people may come over and help you learn.
Nice choice of a bike!
prasadee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 07:29   #4138
Senior - BHPian

Small rant: Anyone faced a issue of parking a car in a lot and having someone swipe the car? Happened to me today at work. The owner didnt even leave a note and worse of all i am left with a large gash with paint gone on my front bumper!

Planning on checking if any camera faced my way but i would love to find how you deal with such a situation?

Maddy
Old 26th September 2014, 21:20   #4139
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help for buying a used car in the United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstaAddict View Post
Hey vineethvazhayil,

I bought a used 2013 Altima 2.5 S which had clocked 13000 miles for $16000 from a dealer. Unfortunately, my work location is now Milwaukee which means i drive to & from Chicago everyday(140 miles a day). I moved to Wheeling now, from DP. Suggestions from you & fellow bhpian's immensely helped I must say. Thanks again!
Good to hear that. If your customer is in downtown Milwaukee, you can also take the Amtrak. I don't know if it is cheaper, but just another option - especially if you don't want to spend 3 hours driving daily. You can use the spare time in the train to read etc.

Quote:

Planning on checking if any camera faced my way but i would love to find how you deal with such a situation?

Maddy
Yes, I have faced something similar, but only ended up with minor scrapes. If this is your work parking lot, you maybe able to see who has fresh scrapes and do some paint color matching and get the culprit

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 26th September 2014 at 21:25.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 01:45   #4140
BHPian

Quote:

Piece of advice for anyone looking at motorcycles. The accessories will
You can buy some basic tools from Harbor Freight Tools, they are pretty decent and don't cost much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
That has certainly been a lot of fun. You can swap out different parts, buy things used, sell other parts, etc. Buy basic tools, multi-meter, tickle charger, and things like that. It helps if you have a garage. You can leave an unfinished job, run to the store if needed. Or stop midway and return to the job next day after seeking help from online forums /friends. Join a Ducati group, or host a party to do specific things like oil change. Provide free beer, and people may come over and help you learn.
Nice choice of a bike!
Couldn't agree more, I usually have my group buddies help me replace chain and change my oil when they do at their garage if timing works well.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks