Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 22:45   #4876
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
My own experience when we lived in the USA is similar and I was 53 years old and brought a very impressive no claim history from Europe that not a single US insurer would recognize.
==========
Good luck
Jeroen
I think I want to keep the insurance fully comprehensive since I want zero troubles in case of anything going wrong. I have full trust in the dealership manager since he literally googled different companies for me and called them in front of me to negotiate prices.
Old 5th August 2015, 22:58   #4877
BHPian

Michigan typically has double the insurance rates of most cities in US.
Old 5th August 2015, 23:18   #4878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I had similar issue when I bought my first car here. Liberty Mutual was the only one willing to provide insurance. I stuck with them for 6 months and then switched to Geico which saved me a bunch of money.

Did you try Geico?

However, you are a teenager, so you will be required to pay higher than normal premium no matter what.
I did call them initially, but no company other than Esurance was ready to give me Insurance since I had just changed my address and had no electricity bills or anything to prove my new address. I'm not sure if I should start calling different companies and start discussing new rates right now or wait until Aug 15 (3 exact months since I bought insurance) to make calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Michigan typically has double the insurance rates of most cities in US.
Believe me, I'm not happy about it either. I'm working in Ohio just for the summer and the salesperson from Progressive told me to register the car in Ohio where the Insurance is way cheaper but since I'm living in a hotel for the time I'm here, that would just be weird.
Old 5th August 2015, 23:48   #4879
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
Hi Guys, new member here.

I was hoping to cash in on some advice from the older members who know their way around doing things in the US. I recently leased out a 2015 Ford Fusion for 3 years for a really good price. I am currently writing an Ownership Report so I will explain all my logic behind said purchase in there. But, I was hoping to get some Insurance advice. I am currently insured by Esurance and since I am only 19 years old without much driving history, I had to pay $2000 for 6 months as pre-paid. Now, I cannot afford Insurance this expensive for the rest of my time here, the dealership manager promised me that after creating 3 months of driving history, the rates will go down to a more affordable level. I was wondering if any of you had a good experience with any insurer getting good rates since the end of my initial 3 months is coming up and I would like to either lower the price with Esurance or move over to a different insurance.
I can empathasize with your situation. I am 30+ and married and have a masters degree, so in 2013 when I first sought auto insurance in the US, the best rate I got was from GEICO at $1200 a year ($200 a month) for a 3 year-old Nissan Rogue. In two months I switched to Progressive at $150 a month.
In your case, the age and marital status all work against you.
Where you can get some credits to your premium is by adopting telematics. I took Progesssive's Snapshot device and after the first 30 days of plugging it in, my premium dropped 30%. You can also go for State Farm's own telematics offering.
As long as you follow the below, you will get a hefty discount:
1) Don't drive too much. More miles means lesser telematics discount. I only average 6000 miles a year so i am good here.
2) Don't drive at odd hours of the night, especially between 12-4AM.
3) Don't brake hard. I averaged only 1 hard brakes per 100 miles.
4) If you take State Farm's offering, don't turn hard. They calculate lateral G forces.

Don't know if you are inclined to take telematics up, but this can potentially save you upto 30% solid.

Can't help it that you're 19 or that you're single. Actuarially, you are a 'high-risk' driver for every insurer.

You can build your credit score by taking out secured credit cards alternatively, and that will help improve your rates.

All the best!
Old 6th August 2015, 00:26   #4880
BHPian

Quote:
Did you try Geico?
I'm in a similar situation, I recently moved to the US and bought a car in April. I bought my insurance from Geico over the phone at the dealer's and didn't really shop around, and I ended up paying $313 a month! I'm 37, for what it's worth.

Anyway, I signed up online for the Progressive snapshot trial where they send you a device that you plug in to the car's OBD-II port for 30 days. I've just finished the trial and Progressive is offering me a rate of $141 a month, which is a huge improvement. I have also done some shopping around but nobody has offered a better rate then Progressive.

Now, I need to sign up for Progressive and cancel my Geico insurance.
Old 6th August 2015, 00:35   #4881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
I'm in a similar situation, I recently moved to the US and bought a car in April. I bought my insurance from Geico over the phone at the dealer's and didn't really shop around, and I ended up paying $313 a month! I'm 37, for what it's worth.

Anyway, I signed up online for the Progressive snapshot trial where they send you a device that you plug in to the car's OBD-II port for 30 days. I've just finished the trial and Progressive is offering me a rate of $141 a month, which is a huge improvement. I have also done some shopping around but nobody has offered a better rate then Progressive.

I guess insurance rates vary from place to place a lot. I am paying Geico $115 a month combined for the Odyssey and the Charger. Although I have heard that Geico really screws you over once you make a claim. So, fingers crossed and wood knocked all the time!

But then again, insurance is optional in the state of New Hampshire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
As long as you follow the below, you will get a hefty discount:
1) Don't drive too much. More miles means lesser telematics discount. I only average 6000 miles a year so i am good here.
2) Don't drive at odd hours of the night, especially between 12-4AM.
3) Don't brake hard. I averaged only 1 hard brakes per 100 miles.
4) If you take State Farm's offering, don't turn hard. They calculate lateral G forces.

I dont think getting that device from Progressive installed would be a good idea for me
Old 6th August 2015, 00:54   #4882
BHPian

Quote:
In your case, the age and marital status all work against you.
Where you can get some credits to your premium is by adopting telematics. I took Progesssive's Snapshot device and after the first 30 days of plugging it in, my premium dropped 30%. You can also go for State Farm's own telematics offering.
Thanks for the advice, I don't think Esurance offers such a program but I do plan on asking about the device you described. As much as I would love to drive enthusiastically, I would much rather save a bunch of money. My current lease is for 15,000mi/year but I don't think I will hit 45,000 in 3 years. I also put in my Ownership Experience in for moderation. Should be up soon!
Old 7th August 2015, 12:59   #4883
BHPian

They remove this telematics thing after 30 days right? I may be having to make a car buying decision in the US in the upcoming few months so I will be a frequent visitor on this thread. Is it advisable to buy a pre-owned Passat (2012-13 model) with say 30k odd miles on it in PA. Do VW offer a long term gearbox warranty in US?

Last edited by Cesc : 7th August 2015 at 13:01.
Old 7th August 2015, 17:03   #4884
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
They remove this telematics thing after 30 days right?
The discounts only kick in after the first 30 days, with Progressive at least. They asked me to return it after 4 months of usage.
Old 7th August 2015, 19:10   #4885
BHPian

Quote:
I guess insurance rates vary from place to place a lot.
Initally i was paying 130$ for 05 Camry in 2012 from Gieco insurance here in Milwaukee, WI. Today, I pay 160$ for my 05 Camry, 2012 Accord and 2012 X5 and renters insurance thru state farm.

I do put around 2500 -3000 Miles every month between my Camry and accord. Considering all these i think i got great deal.
Old 7th August 2015, 19:48   #4886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otomobil View Post
Initally i was paying 130$ for 05 Camry in 2012 from Gieco insurance here in Milwaukee, WI. Today, I pay 160$ for my 05 Camry, 2012 Accord and 2012 X5 and renters insurance thru state farm.

I do put around 2500 -3000 Miles every month between my Camry and accord. Considering all these i think i got great deal.
Yes, that seems comparable to what I am paying Geico.

On a totally unrelated topic, anyone here in US into cycling?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post3773467
Old 7th August 2015, 19:51   #4887
BHPian

i guess i am getting a very good deal on my brand new RAV4.. i paid 630$ for 6 months via Progressive
Old 7th August 2015, 20:51   #4888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otomobil View Post
That is definitely a good price for all that together. I guess being in Milwaukee also helps?

Quote:
Yes, that seems comparable to what I am paying Geico.

On a totally unrelated topic, anyone here in US into cycling?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post3773467
I now have accident forgiveness on Geico, so one at fault incident should be fine.

Oh and BTW, BHPian Ninjatalli is into cycling.

Quote:
The discounts only kick in after the first 30 days, with Progressive at least. They asked me to return it after 4 months of usage.
I had a 260$ premium for the first month with progressive the first time ever I bought a car in the US (VW Jetta), switched in 1 week to Geico and premium went down to 140$ - this was in Stamford, CT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
They remove this telematics thing after 30 days right? I may be having to make a car buying decision in the US in the upcoming few months so I will be a frequent visitor on this thread. Is it advisable to buy a pre-owned Passat (2012-13 model) with say 30k odd miles on it in PA. Do VW offer a long term gearbox warranty in US?
You can get all sorts of warranty in the US - you may have to pay for it though. I don't think the Passat has a complex transmission for 2012/2013 MY. It is a regular torque converter (unless you are getting the TDI). The car is not a techno showboat either - check if you need warranty at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post

I guess for each their own, progressive has never been able to match what Geico offers to me. We are now 97$ a month for a 2014 Highlander XLE and a 2009 Infiniti M35x with 2 drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
i guess i am getting a very good deal on my brand new RAV4.. i paid 630$ for 6 months via Progressive
It depends on where you are. I shop every time my policy is up for renewal. I became a homeowner recently, plan to shop again for car insurance with home insurer in another 6 months to see if there are any benefits to be had.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 22:34   #4889
BHPian

When I was looking for a insurance for my 2011 used Civic 3 months back in CA. I was quoted 300$ a month by Geico, 260$ by AAA.
Reasons being quoted no driving history in US plus I only had a learner's license.

The guy from whom I bought the car gave me contact of an insurance agent who works with AllState. He quoted 115$ per month.

A friend of mine who has been here for a long time and also owns a 2011 Civic is paying 87$ for 2 drivers. I will be switching over to his insurance company once I am done with this AllState.
Old 7th August 2015, 22:41   #4890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess insurance rates vary from place to place a lot. I am paying Geico $115 a month combined for the Odyssey and the Charger.
But then again, insurance is optional in the state of New Hampshire.
You have to keep rubbing it na

Interesting to know that insurance is optional, may be that's why insurance rates are lower as Companies need to lure people into getting one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
We are now 97$ a month for a 2014 Highlander XLE and a 2009 Infiniti M35x with 2 drivers.
Wow that's a great price, I am assuming its Comprehensive, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I became a homeowner recently, plan to shop again for car insurance with home insurer in another 6 months to see if there are any benefits to be had.
Congratulations on buying a house Yes combined policy should definetly be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatcher View Post
A friend of mine who has been here for a long time and also owns a 2011 Civic is paying 87$ for 2 drivers. I will be switching over to his insurance company once I am done with this AllState.
Why wait if you have decided to Switch?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks