Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2015, 18:20   #4861
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
The above is spot on except it misses the king, jeep wrangler.
I have the Jeep Wrangler in the list. Close to the Toyota Offroaders, THe FJ and 4runner.
Old 14th July 2015, 19:02   #4862
BHPian

@Jomz,Oops, my bad. Going blind, sorry.
Old 15th July 2015, 00:03   #4863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
For a first timer, what used models can I buy for about 10-12K? Sedans preferred, something that will last me a year or 2 and wont get hit during resale.
From what I have seen, Camrys and Accords are the most common. What else can I consider?

Also how does the concept of driving schools work in US? I want to take some classes to get oriented with rules and norms and don't mind spending the cash to be safe. Does these schools help in any way to secure your license (of course not like in India )
If you're in the NE USA or any other snow-bound area, sedans with AWD command a high resale value (e.g. - Subaru Legacy and a few Infiniti and Acura sedans).

Or else, $10-12k sedans that are around 2-4 years old with less than 30k miles and nice resale values are bound to be Civics and Corollas. You could even consider Nissan Sentras as this model is in the same compact segment. If you need sedans from the Camry/Accord segment, at $10-12k you would only get a 5+year old 60,000 miles+ car typically.

The driving schools in Connecticut, as far as I know, are very good for us desis to kick a few desi driving habits. More importantly, they can teach us a few tactics for clearing the DMVs' road tests, which you wouldn't know otherwise. Of course, a few Connecticut DMVs are legendary in their strictness. I don't know which state you are in.
Old 16th July 2015, 09:49   #4864
Senior - BHPian

Update from Texas road authority:;

To obtain a Texas license an individual will be required to take a driving test and a written test, even if they hold an international license. If a person holds a valid, unexpired license from Germany, Canada, France or South Korea testing requirement will be waived. All other individuals must take the driving test and written test to obtain a Texas license.

In order to initiate the process of obtaining a Texas driver license, you will be required to present the following documentation to the local driver license office.

• Proof of identity
• Proof of social security
• Proof of lawful status/U.S. Citizenship
• 2 documents providing proof of Texas residency
• Certificate of completion for adult driver education

More information about these items can be found here.

After your documentation is processed, the driver license office will assist you in scheduling a driving test. Additionally, you will need to provide the following information for the vehicle you use for the driving test:

• Proof of current registration
• Proof of current inspection
• Proof of current liability insurance
Old 16th July 2015, 14:20   #4865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Update from Texas road authority
Isn't this same as of now? I followed the exact process 2years back apart for the mandatory 6hrs online course for people under age 24.

Last edited by ampere : 16th July 2015 at 14:26. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
Old 29th July 2015, 23:44   #4866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
The carbon-fibre wheels are THE deal on the GT350R - in a car in this price/performance bracket, that is just acing it. The magazines first said that in Jan at the reveal, but I thought it'd be an option rather than std. equipment. Ford has pretty much set the bar now on unsprung weight for the American muscle-car three. Kudos to our (for India) very own Raj Nair - GVP Product Dev. The man is a true car guy - raced in earlier days and is still all about performance - Fiesta/Focus ST, the insane Focus RS, the GT350, the F150 Raptor and the GT.

And the price is going to make the Chevy Z/28 look foolish at $75k.
BTW - that's the market the GT350R is aiming at - not really for the 'Vette buyers - they're not looking at Mustangs - they're cross-shopping Porsches and Vipers.

On another note, I can't wait for the NHRA Nationals in Aug - the all new factory CobraJet w/ sub 11sec v the Hellcat
Someone has had a ride along in the GT350R - the engine is phenomenal aural pleasure - have a listen -
vineethvazhayil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 04:33   #4867
BHPian

Hehe Vineet, yeah it is phenomenal. I was going to post my hometown magazine's (Car & Driver, Ann Arbor-MI) video, but you beat me to it with the Cali rag's review. Anyways, it's different enough - notice the factory redline of the flatplane crank:

FB Video -

All pics & vid courtesy Car & Driver

My friend and racing instructor works for Roush which does some testing for Ford and he recently did a shakedown of a few pre-production GT350Rs at Grattan Raceway. His first hand experience was that this is a fabulously balanced car. This is a guy who races the Spec Miata w/ SCCA and owns a 911 (997.2) Turbo S and C7 Corvette Z06, among others. 'Nuf said.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-2016fordmustangshelbygt3505.2literv8engine121876x535.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-2016fordmustangshelbygt3505.2literv8engine114876x535.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-2016fordmustangshelbygt3505.2literv8engine120876x535.jpg  

Last edited by Activ8 : 30th July 2015 at 04:47. Reason: Same Track!
Activ8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 08:41   #4868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
Hehe Vineet, yeah it is phenomenal. I was going to post my hometown magazine's (Car & Driver, Ann Arbor-MI) video, but you beat me to it with the Cali rag's review. Anyways, it's different enough - notice the factory redline of the flatplane crank:
Fab stuff there. All this so accessible for everyone, that is the best part - normally flat pane cranks are in exotic v8s!.

Btw, talking about accessible, the Focus RS prices seem to have leaked - start at just above 36k and goes up to 42k. Awaiting driving impressions.
Old 3rd August 2015, 08:22   #4869
BHPian

Hi

My 105000 Camry has a check engine light ON. It was P0430 which is related to catalytic convertor or a faulty O2 sensor.

Firestone gave me an estimate to fix the problem for $750 which is replacing the Catalytic convertor.

But I know it can be a faulty O2 sensor too. Took my car to a local garage and he just deleted the code but it reappeared within 5 miles. Since it was raining badly, he asked me to bring the car later so he can run some test on O2 sensor and decide from there on.

I am starting to feel vibrations around 35 to 55 MPH when I drive sedately. What could be possible problem? Is it related to above catalytic convertor problem. If I push the O/D Off button, the vibrations are gone.

In the mean time the idea of buying a new car thoughts came on. Thinking of bringing in laws and parents from India for vacation so decided on mini vans.

Test drove Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna. Odyssey - Driving and handling were good but interiors and comfort were not that great. Driving Sienna was boring but the interior and seating comfort were too good. Lot of discounts too.

Wife was hooked towards Sienna and that's when a Honda Pilot struck our eyes . Both of us fell in love for the 2016 Honda pilot. So we started checking 8 seater SUVs, wife dint like the Toyota Highlander and I do not like the Nissans, so both Pathfinder and Highlander were out.

For the Pilot, without much negotiations the dealer gave us $1900 discount (it was month end). Total cost came to $ 36000 Out of door for the EX trim. After he gave all the calculations I asked him for a trade in of my Camry and he valued it at 3000.

Any thoughts on the new Pilot. If shop around and push he might come down to 30K or 31K. Any thoughts on what will be best price. Cars MSRP is 33400 + 3000 (Taxes + Dealer charges + Registration + FL State fee)

Since I am on H visa and 3 more years before max out some of my friends are suggesting that I may lose a lot of money during resale. Also I have to take big loan of atleast 25K. Got confused and put the plan on hold.

Help me out - Repairing the Camry and using it or take a plunge and drive a new car. I am sure being a regular IT, I can never afford such a SUV in India.

Last edited by Ananthang : 3rd August 2015 at 08:26.
Ananthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 17:17   #4870
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not buy a 2-3 yr old SUV of your choice, which has run less than 30k miles? It shaves off around 30% of the cost while some of the mfg warranties might still be valid. That's what I did and bought my Nissan Rogue back in Nov 2013.
Old 3rd August 2015, 20:22   #4871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Hi

My 105000 Camry has a check engine light ON. It was P0430 which is related to catalytic convertor or a faulty O2 sensor.

Wife was hooked towards Sienna and that's when a Honda Pilot struck our eyes . Both of us fell in love for the 2016 Honda pilot.

Help me out - Repairing the Camry and using it or take a plunge and drive a new car. I am sure being a regular IT, I can never afford such a SUV in India.
Since you are smitten by the 2016 pilot, why don't you consider taking a 3 year lease of the Pilot? Check out how it works for you in $$ terms. Maybe you can do 15000 mile a year. This is assuming you would rather go back than stay back. If you are going to stay back and then plan to buy the car outright at the end of the lease, the cost of doing that would be higher than buying the car outright now. Also, if you plan on doing a lot of miles, then again lease may not be your ideal choice.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd August 2015 at 22:48. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience for our mobile readers, thanks
vineethvazhayil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 02:18   #4872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Hi

Good dilemma to be in. Like others have suggested why not go for a 2-3 year old suv in this option choice. New cars will always awe you but think on the payments you would have to make and the depreciation hit you would take.

First do you really need a 8 seater? 5 seater suvs really do the job well and there are some nice ones in the market which you can get for a steal if you go used. I did see a nice 2014 BMW X1 with 14k miles for 21k. It still had the BMW factory warranty upto 50k miles and would have done the job really well.

So please look around at used or certified Pre owned vehicles. Also do look at american make in this range. Ford and Dodge comes to my mind and the engines in these are a beast.

Let us know what you find. Do not make a impulsive purchase.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 21:13   #4873
BHPian

Hi Guys, new member here.

I was hoping to cash in on some advice from the older members who know their way around doing things in the US. I recently leased out a 2015 Ford Fusion for 3 years for a really good price. I am currently writing an Ownership Report so I will explain all my logic behind said purchase in there. But, I was hoping to get some Insurance advice. I am currently insured by Esurance and since I am only 19 years old without much driving history, I had to pay $2000 for 6 months as pre-paid. Now, I cannot afford Insurance this expensive for the rest of my time here, the dealership manager promised me that after creating 3 months of driving history, the rates will go down to a more affordable level. I was wondering if any of you had a good experience with any insurer getting good rates since the end of my initial 3 months is coming up and I would like to either lower the price with Esurance or move over to a different insurance.
Old 5th August 2015, 22:32   #4874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
Hi Guys, new member here.

I was hoping to cash in on some advice from the older members who know their way around doing things in the US. I recently leased out a 2015 Ford Fusion for 3 years for a really good price. I am currently writing an Ownership Report so I will explain all my logic behind said purchase in there. But, I was hoping to get some Insurance advice. I am currently insured by Esurance and since I am only 19 years old without much driving history, I had to pay $2000 for 6 months as pre-paid. Now, I cannot afford Insurance this expensive for the rest of my time here, the dealership manager promised me that after creating 3 months of driving history, the rates will go down to a more affordable level. I was wondering if any of you had a good experience with any insurer getting good rates since the end of my initial 3 months is coming up and I would like to either lower the price with Esurance or move over to a different insurance.

My own experience when we lived in the USA is similar and I was 53 years old and brought a very impressive no claim history from Europe that not a single US insurer would recognize.

Maybe a few US based members have specific recommendations, but its probably wise to shop around on the net and ask local colleagues if they can recommend a particular company. I assume at that price the car is insured fully comprehensive, which makes sense for a nearly new cars. Most would advise to keep a new car on fully comprehensive policy for the first 3-4 years. After that it usually makes more sense to go third party only, which will give you a huge reduction on premium of course. You might want to check your lease agreement as to what degrees of freedom you are allowed in terms of coverage and with whom you insure.

If the car dealer arranged for the insurance you are very likely to have paid more then when you shop around. But check, it might be part of the lease agreement.

Good luck
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 22:41   #4875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
I am currently insured by Esurance and since I am only 19 years old without much driving history, I had to pay $2000 for 6 months as pre-paid. Now, I cannot afford Insurance this expensive for the rest of my time here, the dealership manager promised me that after creating 3 months of driving history, the rates will go down to a more affordable level. I was wondering if any of you had a good experience with any insurer getting good rates since the end of my initial 3 months is coming up and I would like to either lower the price with Esurance or move over to a different insurance.
I had similar issue when I bought my first car here. Liberty Mutual was the only one willing to provide insurance. I stuck with them for 6 months and then switched to Geico which saved me a bunch of money.

Did you try Geico?

However, you are a teenager, so you will be required to pay higher than normal premium no matter what.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks