Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2015, 21:56   #4846
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
New Hands Free law has come into effect in New Hampshire.
Time to upgrade to fully-integrated ICE systems that are controlled from the steering wheel! But a very relevant rule in a high-speed traffic network, in my opinion.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 22:59   #4847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
New Hands Free law has come into effect in New Hampshire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Same here!

In Ontario, it's against the law to:
- operate hand-held communication and electronic entertainment devices while you're driving
- view display screens unrelated to your driving

If you break this law, you could receive:
- a fine of $225, plus a victim surcharge and court fee, for a total of $280 if settled out of court
- a fine of up to $500 if you receive a summons or fight your ticket
Do ON and NH implement these laws strictly? Illinois has had laws for almost 1.5 years - but I see people doing things on the phone all the time, driving or stopped, in construction zones, in school zones and places where it is strictly illegal to do that. I almost got knocked out by a woman looking down and taking a left turn at a stop sign as I was making my way across the road on foot in a school zone!
Old 2nd July 2015, 23:03   #4848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Time to upgrade to fully-integrated ICE systems that are controlled from the steering wheel! But a very relevant rule in a high-speed traffic network, in my opinion.
Already got one. It is easy to answer incoming calls but making a call is a total pain. The voice feature leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Do ON and NH implement these laws strictly?
It's only the 2nd day of implementation, so can't really say.
Old 2nd July 2015, 23:48   #4849
BHPian

Quote:
Do ON and NH implement these laws strictly?
It varies but I have heard of many stories of people being fined. The fine used to be 150-180 range but has gone up steadily. The latest one is:

Fines for distracted drivers will increase from the old range of $60 to $500 to between $300 to $1,000, plus three demerit points.

Should come into effect shortly.
Old 3rd July 2015, 04:48   #4850
BHPian

Quote:
Do ON and NH implement these laws strictly? Illinois has had laws for almost 1.5 years - but I see people doing things on the phone all the time, driving or stopped, in construction zones, in school zones and places where it is strictly illegal to do that. I almost got knocked out by a woman looking down and taking a left turn at a stop sign as I was making my way across the road on foot in a school zone!
Its been in law at Cali for a while, I do see people on the phone and typing but its not that common. But yea the ones I see are usually during the morning rush hour.
Old 6th July 2015, 22:24   #4851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think weight and aerodynamics would be the differentiating factors here. Better explanation would be that the X5 is an all time AWD, whereas the Charger is not.
Isnt AWD by definition all time? ofcourse they have front or rear bias built in but would still be an all time AWD unless its 4WD.

As for Mileage, my 3.7 V6 MDX has no fuel saving technology plus it sips premium The max I have seen on highway was 20.x. They seemed to have fixed this in the current gen though.
Old 7th July 2015, 00:15   #4852
Team-BHP Support

The Charger system is normally RWD, it only engages AWD when car detects a slip.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 00:27   #4853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
The Charger system is normally RWD, it only engages AWD when car detects a slip.
You mean 100% RWD & shifts x% power to front in case of loss of traction at front?

EDIT - Aha you are right , this is what I found on Wiki:

Quote:
The 2009 Charger AWD utilized the Torque-on-Demand system manufactured by Borg Warner which disconnects the front axles until extra traction is needed. This results in a slight boost in fuel economy while retaining the same maximum power split to the front wheels.

Source

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th July 2015 at 00:30.
Old 8th July 2015, 05:22   #4854
Senior - BHPian

Totally offtopic. I just heard about this parcel service to get stuff from india. Check it out.
http://www.garudavega.net/

They ship items within a week. Colleague got some mangoes shipped

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 18:38   #4855
Senior - BHPian

For a first timer, what used models can I buy for about 10-12K? Sedans preferred, something that will last me a year or 2 and wont get hit during resale.
From what I have seen, Camrys and Accords are the most common. What else can I consider?

Also how does the concept of driving schools work in US? I want to take some classes to get oriented with rules and norms and don't mind spending the cash to be safe. Does these schools help in any way to secure your license (of course not like in India )

Last edited by mail4ajo : 13th July 2015 at 18:44.
Old 13th July 2015, 22:26   #4856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
For a first timer, what used models can I buy for about 10-12K? Sedans preferred, something that will last me a year or 2 and wont get hit during resale.
From what I have seen, Camrys and Accords are the most common. What else can I consider?
With resale in mind, only Japs, add Corolla & Civic to the list but they would probably be older & with more mileage than camry & accord. Also check older CRVs & RAV4s

Quote:
Also how does the concept of driving schools work in US? I want to take some classes to get oriented with rules and norms and don't mind spending the cash to be safe. Does these schools help in any way to secure your license (of course not like in India )
The driving classes do help especially if you have never driven in US & would be driving extensively. They will help you in mastering most of the moves that would be required to pass the test in your DMV. Don't expect help like in Indian context i.e. they wont do any paperwork, no help in written test, no jack in getting license easily
Old 13th July 2015, 22:38   #4857

I agree with Technocrat, Indians usually prefer the Toyotas and Hondas for their resale value and you can find some really good deals in your price range
for Civic and Corolla. Search in your locality on Carmax/Autotrader. If it helps, three of my colleagues recently bought cars in Milwaukee/Chicago area :

1. 2012 Toyota Corolla, 29K miles, $13K (Dealer)
2. 2012 Honda Civic, 23K miles, $14K (Dealer)
3. 2007 Toyota Corolla, 81K miles, $9K (Dealer)

Good luck!
navtiwari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 22:45   #4858
BHPian

Quote:

Im also in a similar boat. King of resale values (4dr's) are

1, lancer Evolution
2, Subaru WRX/ STi
3, FJ cruiser - they just stopped North america sales , Expect prices to go up on used ones.
4, Toyota 4runner/ Jeep Wrangler
5, Corolla/ Civic
6, Accord/ Camry
7, Acura TL - type S
8, Most Acuras and Lexus' cars
9, CRV/RAV4/Highlander

Most of these may not be in your budget. But whatever miles you put on them - you won't get hit much in resale. The list is in no specific order, I just wrote down the cars which I have seen high resale value. Feel free to add something which I missed.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 09:29   #4859
BHPian

The above is spot on except it misses the king, jeep wrangler.
Old 14th July 2015, 18:09   #4860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What part of US are you in? That would also be a major factor. For example, in New England area, you can get any used Subaru without worrying about depreciation. I am only guessing but in California, maybe a Prius would be the ultimate in holding its value.

As for "what else", consider Mazda perhaps? While you are in US, would you consider driving something that is not available back home or would you rather stick to the tried and tested desi route?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks