Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 08:06   #4696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Congrats on the car. Looks clean. Was it a private party sale
Thanks. Yes, private party. The previous owner has maintained it well. He didn't have any intention of selling it but sold since he had to get back to India due to an emergency.

Quote:
Now with so many members in New England side you guys should definitely plan a meet
Definitely. I have subscribed to the East coast meet thread

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 20th April 2015 at 08:34.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 19:59   #4697
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
After hunting for a pre-owned car for 2 weeks, got a 2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL V6. It has 90,000 miles on the odo. Got it for $4.8K. Will use this car for atleast an year and will think whether to retain or change.
Congratulations, that's a sweet deal, usually cars require major service with some replacements around 90k miles, has that service taken place or do you plan to do it yourself?
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 20:41   #4698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Congratulations, that's a sweet deal, usually cars require major service with some replacements around 90k miles, has that service taken place or do you plan to do it yourself?
Thanks. Yes, the service has been done. Since the previous owner had no intentions to sell the car, he got the service done last month. If he had known that he would be selling the car, I don't think the service would have been done
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2015, 08:32   #4699
Senior - BHPian

Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing cars

What??? It seems my adventure with installing shocks and coilovers in my car last weekend was the last time i can actually do that legally?

I am curious to see whether this will come into effect.

What do you guys think?
Old 27th April 2015, 18:22   #4700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing cars

What??? It seems my adventure with installing shocks and coilovers in my car last weekend was the last time i can actually do that legally?

I am curious to see whether this will come into effect.

What do you guys think?
I don't think this will ever happen but,

I'm in favor of not letting people modify cars based on real life experience and some tuner, When I compare the methods by which aftermarket calibrations are made and factory calibrations are made- I'm shocked how anybody can accept those tunes.

There should be some legislation so that only companies with the appropriate facilities should produce tunes.

Typically such a facility would have
- Engine dynamo meter (dyno)
- Emission benches ( if worried about them)
- Instrumentation for air flow/ fuelflow/ pressures and temperatures.
-High speed instrumentation for in cylinder pressures and other conditions.
- Chem labs to do chemical analysis on fluids.
- some facility to estimate long term effects of the tunes.

OEMS do this and still mistakes crop out. I worry about aftermarket, which does not have most of this facilities.That is why I'm not a big fan of aftermarket.
Old 27th April 2015, 20:10   #4701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
I'm in favor of not letting people modify cars based on real life experience and some tuner, When I compare the methods by which aftermarket calibrations are made and factory calibrations are made- I'm shocked how anybody can accept those tunes.

There should be some legislation so that only companies with the appropriate facilities should produce tunes.
People who modify cars know the pros and cons of what they are doing and the risks they are taking. Just because it may or may not work out as they intended it to, does not mean that they should not be allowed to do it in the first place.

Why can't car manufacturers provide better support to the aftermarket community instead of trying to shut them down completely? It would be nice for them to let the owners choose what tune they want in their cars, without charging them an arm and a leg.
Old 28th April 2015, 00:33   #4702
BHPian

Quote:
People who modify cars know the pros and cons of what they are doing and the risks they are taking. Just because it may or may not work out as they intended it to, does not mean that they should not be allowed to do it in the first place.

Why can't car manufacturers provide better support to the aftermarket community instead of trying to shut them down completely? It would be nice for them to let the owners choose what tune they want in their cars, without charging them an arm and a leg.
I don't think they do. Let me give an example.

Advancing spark timing typically gives better fuel consumption and power. The fallback is emissions and peak cylinder pressures are higher. I don't know of any tuner in the world who actually measures the changes in the peak cylinder pressures and emissions for each change in the calibration.

Does these always cause failure- probably not. But the tuners assume that there is some safety margin in the engine. Maybe a design was made with a lower safety margin and this time the same timing advance which gave "good gains" would be blowing the " top lands".

OEMs test tunes for reliablity. That is why they are expensive.

Ifor the tuners know how to modify stuff. I challenge them to make EPA certified engines and sell them. Why let OEMs make big money??
Old 28th April 2015, 02:49   #4703
naj
BHPian

Extended Warranty for Chevy Impala.
Make - 2009
Miles 50k

Hi!!
Have a Chevy Impala for about 3 years now. Had bought it pre owned at 34k miles in 2012. The first two years were bliss and a happy ownership.
Lately, have been having niggling problems just on everything Electrical - door actuators, lights on ECU to erratic electricals, starting problem with new battery and good starter motor.

Have checked with the dealer about options of Extended warranty. He has mentioned, the GM will not give any but they have a tie up with a warranty provider.

See attached:
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-image.jpg

Would you recommend such a warranty at the attached pricing.
BTW without warranty, the rates are atrocious for parts and labor.

Please advise.

Thanks

Last edited by aah78 : 28th April 2015 at 04:01. Reason: Post edited for grammar & spell-check. Picture rotated. Please update your location. Thanks!
Old 28th April 2015, 09:07   #4704
Distinguished - BHPian

I have never been a big fan of these sort of insurances. The way I look at insurances is whether I can afford to pay the bill myself if and when it happens. If i can, I usually dont insure, other then for instance mandatory insurances. e.g. third party car insurance.

The insurance company makes money as the total cost of the pay out is less then what they rake in in total premium. So its just statistics.

I'm not familiar with these particular plan, but google around a bit and you will also find endless horrorstories of people who bought into these scheme and still ended up paying for a lot of the repair jobs themselves.

I would not take this car to an official dealer. I would find a reputable independent workshop. You'll find bettter labour rates and much cheaper parts.

Jeroen
Old 28th April 2015, 17:48   #4705
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Would you recommend such a warranty at the attached pricing.
The prices look good but read the fine print.
  • What does this warranty cover?
  • Are the engine and transmission covered?
  • Alternator, ac compressor covered?
  • etc., etc.
  • What is not covered?
  • What is your deductible?
  • or, do you pay for repairs out of pocket & then get reimbursed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I would not take this car to an official dealer. I would find a reputable independent workshop. You'll find bettter labour rates and much cheaper parts.
Agree - as long as it's a trusted workshop you'll be fine!

Last edited by aah78 : 28th April 2015 at 17:52. Reason: Merged.
Old 28th April 2015, 22:55   #4706
naj
BHPian

Hi!!
Thanks Aah78 and Jeroen,
Am attaching the coverage details below .

The coverage looks promising and the Dealer mentioned they would cover parts and labor.
Have been to some local mechanics and my experience with one of them who came recommended is he will charge $75/hour and declined to give a lump sum price for a job . In that context , the dealers are better as they have a set tariff.
Searching for more options .
Thanks ,
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-coverage.jpg  

Last edited by naj : 28th April 2015 at 23:15. Reason: Grammer
Old 30th April 2015, 18:24   #4707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
The coverage looks promising and the Dealer mentioned they would cover parts and labor.
Hey naj. What i would do is search the net for common problems with Chevvy Impala and see what all parts needed replacement. And then check whether those parts are covered under this warranty or not.

Update on my Motorcycle Safety Foundation course: Last weekend, I completed the course. It was quite interesting, except for Friday evening which was all theory and literally put everyone to sleep. We were a class of 12 from all walks of life. There were a few who had no experience whatsoever with a manual transmission. But we all cleared the evaluation and got our little blue cards that exempt us from test at the DMV! The riding exercises on Saturday and Sunday were fun as they became progressively difficult for the class. Couple of things i discovered during the course:
1. Using both brakes is the recommended approach to braking. I used to do this on my Bajaj Caliber because otherwise it just would not stop! Didn't know that it was recommended practice.
2. Head turn in the direction of where you want to go is quite important. I do this when taking the ramps in my car but on a bike, it is even more important!

Yesterday I went to the DMV and applied for Motorcycle endorsement. Expect the license to arrive in a couple of weeks

I would definitely recommend everyone to take this course.

Forgot to mention about my planned adventure this Saturday on 2nd May!
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...2#.VUItryFVhBc

Excited to see how my car will handle on a tight circuit. After changing the coilovers and dropping it's height, it has become a wonderful handler!

Also, it is time I should get my own helmet!

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st May 2015 at 03:05. Reason: Merged it despite being out of 20 min window :)
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 19:25   #4708
BHPian

Quote:

Yesterday I went to the DMV and applied for Motorcycle endorsement...
Congratulations! Now you can official start the Motorcycle hunt!

Dang! I was at the DMV as well y'day for my wife's licensing and to go through the same slow NH DMV crap.

Quote:
Forgot to mention about my planned adventure this Saturday on 2nd May! ..
I wish i could join you on this adventure. I can try to take some great shots of your car in action. Are visitors allowed by any chance ?
Fraz33r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 19:31   #4709
Distinguished - BHPian

Is anyone aware of ownership experiences of the Chevy Equinox - specifically the 2010 model?
Old 30th April 2015, 19:31   #4710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update on my Motorcycle Safety Foundation course: Last weekend, I completed the course. It was quite interesting, except for Friday evening which was all theory and literally put everyone to sleep.
The riding exercises on Saturday and Sunday were fun as they became progressively difficult for the class.
Nice, cant wait for my class now but gotta wait 4 weeks sigh.
Quote:
Yesterday I went to the DMV and applied for Motorcycle endorsement. Expect the license to arrive in a couple of weeks
Couple of weeks?

How long did it take the first time around? Here in NJ we get it on spot but not sure about Motorcycle endorsement so will find out once i get mine.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks