Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2015, 04:36   #4636
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
MSF courses are offered for free in many states.

Unfortunately most of the showrooms only let you sit and feel the riding position and do not give test rides(I'm sure you went through this).
Wow thats great. I went to one of those accredited places and it was $200 but worth it!

About the showrooms, i went to two showrooms. The Ridenow showroom was outright pushy and didnt talk about a test ride! The ducati dealer who also happens to be the triumph dealer didnt even talk to my group and we were in the shop sitting on all bikes for 1 hour. Nobody spoke to us!

Amit: If there is any bike week or any bike show in your area do check it out. You will get demo rides.

Maddy
Old 8th April 2015, 04:58   #4637
Senior - BHPian

BMW, Triumph and Harley will let you do test rides. I did a Triumph Bonneville test ride and the sales person was not pushy at all. In fact he discouraged me from making an on-spot decision, and asked me to go home think about it and then buy.

Honda and Yamaha dealers don't seem to allow test rides anywhere.

But why are you looking at new bikes? Go used! You get crazy deals on lightly used bikes on craigslist. People buy, don't ride, chicken-out and sell with a huge depreciation.
Old 8th April 2015, 05:24   #4638
BHPian

He wont have many listings on craigslist since he lives in New England, probably would have to look at NY area or else where
Old 8th April 2015, 05:30   #4639
Senior - BHPian

Arre bhai log! (O Brothers!)
I have not even got my motorcycle permit yet and you guys are sending me to showrooms and craigslist ads!!
amitoj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 18:59   #4640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
You mean KBB? I am a lil vary of insurance firms using that coz the valuations don't really consider all the factor. If I as a buyer try to bargain below KBB value, I'm pretty sure so will the insurance firms.
No - not KBB.The banks and insurance companies have a different one.That is the document they refer to determine the value of the car when we apply for loan.I believe the insurance companies too use the same document
Old 8th April 2015, 21:13   #4641
Senior - BHPian

Hi All, I have recently relocated to Boston. I'm looking for a used car probably Toyota or Honda due to the reliability factor. Since I'm new to this market, I'm not sure what are the things that needs to be taken care while purchasing a used car here. One of my friend suggested to look at the company certified used cars which may cost a bit more but will provide peace of mind in terms of ownership. It'll be of a great help if one can guide me what to particularly look for while purchasing a used car here. I basically want to use the car for office commute for 1-2 years.
Old 9th April 2015, 01:15   #4642
BHPian

A friend of mine was in the market for a used car and she narrowed down on a 2012 Honda Civic from a dealer. The dealer and my friend, both are in Milwaukee, WI. The car has 18546 miles on the ODO and has one previous owner. It looks in good shape, visually. She also took an extensive test drive and is satisfied with the way the car behaved. She planned to buy it cash down but I persuaded her to go for a bank loan so that she could improve her credit worthiness. She contacted one of the credit unions and this is where the real drama started. The bank approved the loan amount but also asked her as to why she was buying a car with an accident history. We both had checked the carfax report and there was no accident reported there however the bank told us that the car was involved in an accident. When we mailed them a copy of the carfax, they in turn mailed us a copy of the accident report from the police records. The accident occurred on Dec 2014 and was recorded in the Oak Creek, WI Sheriff's office.

Now the questions:-
  • How is it possible that such a major accident doesn't show up in CarFax? Has this happened to anyone else on this forum?
  • Can any dealer forge the carfax records?
  • Can carfax itself forge records for a share from a dealer?
  • How realible is carfax. Any other alternative to carfax?
  • Can we lodge a case of cheating against the dealer or carfax or both?
Old 9th April 2015, 01:29   #4643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstaAddict View Post
Now the questions:-
  • How is it possible that such a major accident doesn't show up in CarFax? Has this happened to anyone else on this forum?
A clean CarFax report does not guarantee a clean history.
I think it is up to the dealer to report the accident to carfax. Here is what might have happened. The dealer might have bought this car dirt cheap in accident state, repaired it in his own workshop and then put it up for sale. Or the dealer may have bought it from another garage who would have done this. In that case, the dealer would also not be aware of its accident history.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/how...gra-1639660981

As for lodging a complaint, most used cars are bought on an as-is basis. It is hard to prove a case of cheating. Besides, your friend has not yet bought the car, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I basically want to use the car for office commute for 1-2 years.
What is the budget?

Last edited by amitoj : 9th April 2015 at 01:40.
Old 9th April 2015, 01:45   #4644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
A clean CarFax report does not guarantee a clean history. Besides, your friend has not yet bought the car, right?
No, she hasn't. I strongly suggested her not to opt for this car. I in fact asked her to stay away from this dealer. She is upset with the fact that she spent a whole week in researching and this is where she ended up. At the same time she also understands that she got lucky in time not to fall in this trap.

If CarFax is not entirely reliable, how else should I and my friend go about finalizing a used car? Tips
Old 9th April 2015, 01:56   #4645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the budget?
I'm looking for something around $10K. I'll be mainly using it for the office commute. For the weekend drives, the rental option is always there
Old 9th April 2015, 02:04   #4646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking for something around $10K. I'll be mainly using it for the office commute. For the weekend drives, the rental option is always there
With 10K budget you can get a great car! You won't need to go for rentals for weekend drives.

- Search craigslist
- Do "first glance" checks yourself (which wont reveal much)
- Inspect car with mechanic
- Check carfax
- Verify documents

Just a couple of random low-mileage examples in your area:
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/ctd/4961690033.html
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/4966059385.html
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 02:04   #4647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If CarFax is not entirely reliable, how else should I and my friend go about finalizing a used car? Tips
Independent third party inspection is the only way. An expert mechanic will be able to determine, in most cases, whether the car has been repaired or not.

There are a few other things that you can look for on your own as well. For example, a paint mismatch, or paint overspray usually indicate some repair was done. Or, misaglined edges. Open the hood and look for bolts that seem to have been recently opened and put back in. Let the vehicle idle for a while and check whether there is any oil leakage under the vehicle.

Quote:
Buying a used car is always a bit of a gamble. See current conversation

But yes, a Certified Pre Owned car does come with some peace of mind.
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 03:09   #4648
BHPian

Quote:
Arre bhai log! (O Brothers!)
I have not even got my motorcycle permit yet and you guys are sending me to showrooms and craigslist ads!!
we are just being supportive and nice

Quote:
Unfortunately Carfax is not a single source of truth. Dealers/Car Owners can easily not report any service records or accident history.
Always take the car for valuation to Carmax or one of the service shops when buying from independent sellers.
Or you may have to spend a few extra $$ to get car from a reputed dealership.
kraft.wagen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 08:38   #4649
BHPian

Quote:

Hondas have VIN stickers on every body panels. If all Vin stickers are present on bumpers, quarter panel, Hood & trunk that says the car was not in any accident.

http://accuratecars.com/blog/2010/01...he-vin-number/
Jomz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 08:53   #4650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How is it possible that such a major accident doesn't show up in CarFax? Has this happened to anyone else on this forum?
As other members have pointed out Carfax is not necessarily 100% accurate.

See:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...orts/index.htm

http://www.realcartips.com/usedcars/...accurate.shtml

There are other reports then Carfax as mentioned in the above linked articles, but in essence they all have the same issues.

In particular accidents that don't result in a total loss. The concept of total loss in itself is complex, because it tends to be more financial driven then technical.

Best is indeed to have an independent mechanic or garage do a proper inspecton.

These days, and certainly in the USA, car repairs are doen so well and professionally, that very often you might not be able to find any telltales of a crash. So from that point of view, a properly done repair, shouldnt be a problem at all. It should not even affect the market value of the car as such, other then a lot of people dont feel comfortable buying a car that has been involved in a crash.

Now the good news: the number of good second hand cars in the USA or Western Europe for that matter is absolutely staggering! So if for whatever reason you have a bad feeling about a car or the dealer, move on quickly. You have only lost some of your time, chalk it up to experience.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks