Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2016, 17:15   #5386
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatham.psb View Post
I think its livable and the rumble of the unequal length headers is worth it. Its not quiet like the BMW or even lexus types. Tyre noise is a bit more which can be easily remedied. Between the two, I would always suggest the STi. If you don't like it later, you can trade in and not lose much at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Thanks bunch Gautham That helped massively.. I love the Spoiler ,
Jus being pessimistic here, why get STi for a daily drive when its mostly limping in bay area traffic? Its meant to be enjoyed at the canyons and tracks. So buying one and not using it to its potential is a good idea?

My friend drives a 2016 WRX and is frustrated with the recalls lately.

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 24th June 2016 at 17:18.
Old 25th June 2016, 01:43   #5387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Jus being pessimistic here, why get STi for a daily drive when its mostly limping in bay area traffic? Its meant to be enjoyed at the canyons and tracks. So buying one and not using it to its potential is a good idea?

I sometimes consider buying STi but I have similar thoughts. Sometimes I just want to relax and not focus on driving. Not sure if I'll miss that (especially on my morning commute) if I go with a performance car.

The solution may be two cars, but who wants two car payments, two garage spaces, more insurance, one more car to maintain..
Old 25th June 2016, 19:43   #5388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post

By this logic, everybody should buy a Corolla.
Old 25th June 2016, 21:24   #5389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post

I was about to write the same thing. You live once. But each his own.
Regarding the recalls, WRX and STI are two different engines and no recalls on STI. I guess that's the advantage of having an old engine.
Old 26th June 2016, 07:06   #5390
BHPian

Hi all

I have been test driving some cars recently and I thought I would share my thoughts. Maybe something useful if you are considering these vehicles. I drive a 2010 328i xDrive so I try to compare how well a car drives versus mine. All cars tested were automatics.

2015 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance AWD:

--Cadillac has truly channeled BMW into this car. I was very impressed by how good a Driver’s Car this ATS was. 2nd only to “feel” vs. my BMW and surprisingly way, way better handling capability.
-- I like the way the car looks, sleek, angular with a long hood. The smooth 321HP V6 revs well and has a ton of power only above 4000RPM but the 6 speed transmission in sport mode shifts quickly to keep you in the power range. Closest steering feel to my BMW but still electrical not hydraulic.
-- Ride is super smooth typical for a Cadillac and handling is excellent. Gas pedal was a little touchy but brakes were awesome.
-- Interior quality is really good but definitely more flashy and glossy than others in the segment. No complaints on seats and steering wheel. Cabin was quiet at highway speeds and road noise was minimum.

2 things I hated about this car:
-- The stupid Cue system with its no-button capacitive crap needs a lot of improvement. CUE has been getting a lot of customer complaints and there is a learning curve to this for sure. I was touching and sliding the volume slider but half the time It wouldn’t take my input. Thankfully there are buttons on the steering wheel and voice control and there is a touch screen so you can avoid these “buttons”

-- The rear seat and trunk is a joke! It was as if they made a coupe and decided to add extra 2 doors as an afterthought. I am 5’11” and I couldn’t fit my legs under the front seat even if I wanted to; The legroom was pathetic. Shoulder room was so-so and my head was touching the ceiling. Definitely not suited for adults, though kids will be fine. The trunk can only fit one large suitcase. 10 Cubic Feet is the smallest in its class. They should make this the size of the older CTS, speaking of which…

2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 AWD Premium

-- By far the biggest let-down. Has the same engine as the ATS but feels sluggish. Transmission is dumb -doesn’t shift fast enough which makes the engine look slow even though it has 318 HP. Sport mode improves it slightly though. More luxury than sport definitely.
-- Liked the high quality interiors though they looked a little dated . Brimming with features and easy to use controls. Sport seats and general ergonomics were not impressive. It was hard to reach and adjust seat controls if you close the door. I found it difficult to get a good, comfortable position and the gas pedal was too loose.
-- Steering feel was typical American big sedan loose even though the handling was good, but the ride was softer than I expected which made it super smooth on the highway although it wasn’t too quiet- about the same as my 328i.
-- This thing weighs around 4000 Lbs and you could feel that weight- something that was masked well in the Acura TL. Rear visibility is a little compromised as the roof slopes down low. Bose Sound system was the best of all that I tested but I am no Audiophile. Trunk was huge and could easily fit 2 big suitcases.
-- This is a very confused car trying to be sporty in some areas but soft and “Old world Cadillac” in some areas. I wished the ATS was as big as this old CTS and it would be perfect. Glad they bench-marked BMW for the new ATS and 2014+ CTS.

2013 Acura TL AWD advance package:

-- Some people still hate the front "Beak Grill" which was revised for 2012-2014 so I will skip talking about looks which are subjective. Quite a big car, almost the size of a 5 series BMW.
-- Simple ,easy to use dashboard layout with lots of buttons (I am not a big fan of capacitive touch buttons). Screen graphics are old but I couldn’t care less. You can control pretty much any setting using Voice Activation. High quality materials but understated so doesn’t exude luxury like a Mercedes.
-- Comfortable seats with very good quality leather.
Best rear passenger space of all I have tested. Comfortable and spacious. Trunk is large but has awkward shape so fitting 2 big suitcases might be an issue.
-- The best feature of this car has to be the Engine-Transmission-AWD system combination. Simply phenomenal. This thing is truly “Iron fist in a velvet glove” The 305HP, 273 Lb/Ft Torque V6 is one the most free-revving , smoothest, quietest engines I have ever driven. Even though max torque is not available till like 5000RPM it has enough in the low end that it never feels slow. Transmission is silky smooth even in Sport mode where it holds revs and downshifts hard.
-- The AWD system completely masks the front heavy 58:42 weight distribution. Go hard into a corner and it flawlessly distributes the torque to bring the car around- You don’t even have to brake just give it power. I took some really twisty freeway off ramps way faster than I have ever done in my 328i. A sophisticated beast.
-- Brakes are strong and the gas pedal has the right amount of resistance. Gauges are clear and easy to read. Cabin at highway speeds had more or less the same level of noise as my car. Road noise was little higher due to large wheels and low profile tires.

-- However it has some drawbacks. The steering feel is artificial and a little light( compared to an E90 BMW which is basically the segment benchmark). It also feels like it is more top-heavy and slightly lacking the planted and sticking low to the ground feel like my car. The 19 inch wheels made the ride harsh on bad roads. The 18 inch wheels are standard with the Technology Package which is cheaper.
-- This is a highly underrated, under-appreciated car. Underneath, it’s a Honda so should be very reliable.

Note: if you want a Japanese BMW 3 series, get the Infiniti G37/Q40. It is very powerful (328HP), has sharp handling, has good tech features; Interiors can be hit or miss based on the color combinations, but it's very reliable and so much cheaper than an equivalent BMW. My friend bought a 2012 AWD model on my recommendation.

2013 Lincoln MKZ 2.0 Ecoboost AWD

-- Pleasantly surprised by how refined this car was. Exterior is polarizing but I really liked it especially the thin taillights. Definitely better looking than a Ford Fusion which is what is underneath.
-- The interior is very nice with high quality accents and a clean, smooth flowing design. Leather seats were by far THE most comfortable ones so far. It had push button transmission which didn’t bother me too much but had the capacitive touch “buttons” like the Cadillac which I didn’t like but looked very minimalistic. It didn’t have the haptic feedback like the ATS so it is worse when you are driving down the highway and you put your finger on it and not know if you touched it or not. The touchscreen was good and it has voice control for all settings so that is a workaround. Had tons of tech and safety features. Rear seat space was the same as my BMW.
-- The Turbo engine had loads of torque (270 Lbs/Ft ). There is some lag though and it runs out of steam after 4500 RPM but this is not meant to be revved. Not quite my style as I am used to high revving engines. Transmission was good not excellent. Steering was very light but steering wheel materials felt very good.

-- This was by far the quietest, smoothest car I have ever driven! Even at 80MPH you can whisper to your passenger and they can hear it. It is an awesome car for someone who needs a feature–rich, smooth, quiet ,decent handling midsize car at a bargain. The Lexus ES350 would compare to this and modern Mercs (which I have not driven) would beat this in the luxury feel for sure.
-- Nobody buys Lincolns and hardly anyone knows what an MKZ is. I think It is the luxury deal of the decade with the best bang for buck out there (The 2015+ Hyundai Genesis is another great bargain). Very understated car,you can get 3 year old models for around $25K when they were $50K new. But resale value will be poor.

Bonus- 2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX 1.5 Turbo

-- I highly recommend this car. This is, In my opinion the best car in the class and it has been winning multiple awards and receiving glowing reviews from trusted magazines and Youtube channels, and everything they say is true. If you want a small sedan/coupe/hatchback, close your eyes and go buy the 2016 Civic (with the 1.5 Turbo, not the base 2.0)
-- Stylish, Quiet, smooth, great handling, powerful 174 HP Turbo engine, good seats with lots of space in the front and back. The gauges look great and infotainment system is very good. It comes loaded with everything you might ever need for around $23K. This car is so many leaps and bounds ahead of the 2015 model.
-- CVT gets a little getting used to, it is a little slow to pull from standstill but then it is very quick and smooth. Only the Mazda 3 comes close.Which has a standard automatic/manual and has the bigger 185HP engine.
-- Only thing I can complain is that because of the sloping roof rear visibility is little compromised. Otherwise, this is the perfect commuter car that gives you a LOT of value for money.

That's all for now. This is all my personal opinion and everyone's taste will vary, obviously. Sorry if this has been a long post. Hope this is helpful for someone somewhere

Last edited by VPSuchin : 26th June 2016 at 07:27.
VPSuchin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 11:17   #5391
Senior - BHPian

@VPSuchin, I agree about the G37 / Q40. Try the Q50, it's good too. I'll wait for Red Sport prices to go lower and if they do, I may grab one.

Try driving a Jaguar XE too, it comes close to BMW feel.

I'm also waiting for a couple of other cars to show up:
- 2017 S4
- 2017 E class
- c43
Old 26th June 2016, 18:52   #5392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
@VPSuchin, I agree about the G37 / Q40. Try the Q50, it's good too. I'll wait for Red Sport prices to go lower and if they do, I may grab one.

Try driving a Jaguar XE too, it comes close to BMW feel.

I'm also waiting for a couple of other cars to show up:
- 2017 S4
- 2017 E class
- c43
I think I like the G37 Better. I haven't test driven the Q50 but I have sat in one.Was not a big fan of the dual touch screen even though the interiors are much improved. It's got the same engine however lots of reviews are complaining that it has gone soft and the steering is very artificial. But I am curious to see how that new 3.0T 300HP engine does. Good competition to the 335i no doubt.

I also sat in a new C class and was blown away by how much it looks like an S class. Hands down best interiors in the entry level luxury segment.

I have been seeing good things about the XE but dealers are few and far between so might skip that.

Looks like the new 2017 E Class has been getting great reviews as well, like this one for example
Old 26th June 2016, 20:10   #5393
BHPian

Anyone out there interested in getting a 2016 Ford Fusion,now is the time.

With the 2017 already hitting dealer lots,2016 has a lot of incentives.Was offered $4750 in promotions on top of the A plan which is approx another $3000 less than MSRP.

Finalized a 2016 2.0L Ecoboost AWD and waiting eagerly for Tuesday to take delivery
Old 26th June 2016, 22:59   #5394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPSuchin View Post
I think I like the G37 Better. I haven't test driven the Q50 but I have sat in one.Was not a big fan of the dual touch screen even though the interiors are much improved. It's got the same engine however lots of reviews are complaining that it has gone soft and the steering is very artificial. But I am curious to see how that new 3.0T 300HP engine does. Good competition to the 335i no doubt.

I also sat in a new C class and was blown away by how much it looks like an S class. Hands down best interiors in the entry level luxury segment.

I have been seeing good things about the XE but dealers are few and far between so might skip that.

Looks like the new 2017 E Class has been getting great reviews as well, like this one for example

I agree most cars have gone soft, and you'll find it difficult to find something comparable in feel to e90 bmws.

Previous generation c63 AMGs 2014 models are going for low 40s- with low miles. That may be a car to pick up. Or 2012 e92 m3.

If you are down to drive stick, there is always the STI.

Golf R is an option too, I'll probably wait to see what the S4 feels like (and what the sticker on it looks like) and then get into a Golf R or S3.

The problem with the current C class is the terrible transmission. The C 300 is ok but the C400 (discontinued) and C450 (soon to be discontinued) have the terrible seven speed. Mercedes is going to fix the transmission (most likely use the 9 speed which other Merc newer models are getting) and relaunch the C450 under the C43 name. So buying a C class, I'd wait for that - unless you are going for the base 4 cylinder version.

Of course if nothing else works, there is always the 340i .
Old 27th June 2016, 02:05   #5395
Senior - BHPian

Went for a Subaru meet out here in a diner... About 15 cars showed up with the highlight being a Imported Gtr.
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imageuploadedbyteambhp1466973235.614840.jpgBuying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imageuploadedbyteambhp1466973265.520368.jpgBuying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imageuploadedbyteambhp1466973297.398346.jpg
Old 27th June 2016, 15:50   #5396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
I was about to write the same thing. You live once. But each his own.
Regarding the recalls, WRX and STI are two different engines and no recalls on STI. I guess that's the advantage of having an old engine.
Well not necessarily! My point was not to say it was an exclusive track or canyon carver. Daily ride + some fun with the car on weekend makes more sense. But yea if you want an A to B every day and weekend then Corolla is your answer I agree.
Old 6th July 2016, 21:11   #5397
BHPian

Limited Edition G63 Rainbow colors in Mercedes corporate office lot. Each color is limited to 463 units.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_4655.jpg  

Old 13th July 2016, 01:45   #5398
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has tried taking a loan on the cars equity? Like a personal loan but at the car loans rate of interest. DCU offers a fairly good service as well as rates.

Maddy
Old 13th July 2016, 01:58   #5399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Anyone has tried taking a loan on the cars equity? Like a personal loan but at the car loans rate of interest. DCU offers a fairly good service as well as rates.

Maddy

This is America. We are always upside down on our loans, driving cars we can't really afford to own.

On that note, the new E class looks good..
Old 13th July 2016, 03:33   #5400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

Maddy
I am aware of Home Equity loans but have not heard of an Auto Equity Loan till now. Unlike a House, a car is a depreciating asset so I don't know how well that might work out as a collateral. Looks like your car needs to be paid off though.

I found out that Wells Fargo has some gyan on Auto Equity Loan
VPSuchin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks