Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2016, 00:53   #5461
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Well another thing he can do is to customize the cars he wants - and most of the manufacturers allow that for a premium. Get the best looking car of his choice and add the additional comforts he needs.

Does Volvo XC90 Looks wired to him? Its one of the classy looking SUVs in that segment IMHO. He should look for XC90 Excellence, the interior is a class apart - some pics of XC90 interior below
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-volvoxc90t8excellence.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-volvoxc90excellenc9_1600x0w.jpg  

Old 26th August 2016, 03:41   #5462
BHPian

LoveField Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Dallas has been running a special on the Challenger SXT for the month of August - $3000 down + taxes + $139 a month for a Challenger SXT for 2 yrs.

Picked up a Black SXT with the following packages as add on:
Quick Order Package 21V SXT Plus,
Blacktop package &
Uconnect 8.4 NAV package.

Detailed ownership review in a few months time.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_4758.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_4779.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_4780.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_4781.jpg  

f1dotcom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 06:46   #5463
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!!! Wow F1dotcom did I read right is it 139 a month? 2 year lease?

Maddy
Old 26th August 2016, 23:19   #5464
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jalajprakash: Your uncles car selection is unique. Hats off if we are able to suggest something. I have been pondering on it and here is my attempt:

Lincoln Navigator
Toyota Land Cruiser
Toyota Highlander or 4Runner.
Infiniti Qx 70 or 80
Ford Expedition
Dodge Durango
Mercedes G wagon(throwing this as its my favorite)

And as I do not think a 7 seater is a absolute must check out the Ford F-150 pickup truck king ranch edition or the raptor.

Hope you hear on where this ends.

Maddy
Old 28th August 2016, 06:19   #5465
Senior - BHPian

This is a stylized picture of my new car! More pictures and impressions to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-1472345318930.jpg  

Old 29th August 2016, 00:44   #5466
BHPian

Amazon Launches Car Hub for Research and Reviews:

Amazon has launched a new hub to help customers research and compare cars. Amazon Vehicles lets users check out specs and read reviews on a range of vehicles, from convertibles to SUVs to trucks, and Amazon says it hope the site will create a new "automotive community." And while the information on-site does include recommending pricing from manufacturers, Amazon isn't selling any cars itself — at least for now.

In a press statement, Amazon's automotive head Adam Goetsch said the company wants to "support customers during one of the most important, research-intensive purchases in their lives." He adds that the information on the site will be "enhanced by the ability to tap into the knowledge, opinions, and experiences of other car owners within the Amazon customer community."

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...vehicles-site/

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-teslamodelsamazon.png

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st September 2016 at 22:57. Reason: Please uploade images to Tbhp directly instead of from externally hosted sites, thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 01:43   #5467
Senior - BHPian

The Fordpass feature is a good one with Sync3. I can lock, unlock or start the car from my mobile phone. It also has a geo-locator option. See a screenshot. I am not sure how it actually connects with the car . Must be using some built-in networking system.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-1472587898281.jpg  

Old 1st September 2016, 01:35   #5468
Senior - BHPian

Small update on my bike and car.
With my move to New Hampshire one of the main things i miss is my existing contacts to fix and work on both the machines. Finding that in a smaller place is really hard and chance of being taken for a ride is pretty high.

Positives: Found a group of car lovers in the area where i live and all have motorcycles so that's become a thing of late to ride for icecream every Sunday till the weather doesn't turn sour. Subaru are a big deal here.

Negative: My motorcycle front forks was leaking. I found out when i went to get it inspected. The person gave me a quote to change my fork seals for guess what...."$500". Thought this guy was duping me and asked around and yep, was being taken for a ride! Found out i need to find a reliable and cheaper alternative and the best source was both youtube and craigslist. That is when i found a tool called "Sealmate" costs about $5 and you can make it your self with a milk carton and fix your leak with a screwdriver and this tool.

Tool: https://www.denniskirk.com/149121.sk...ad=45713335837

Video to fix:

The leak has stopped but in the back of my mind i know i got to get this fixed. So i found a guy who fixes bikes on the side who will do both the seals for $150 and the tools are online for $40. Net savings $310.

My motorcycle has now passed inspection and sports a nice number of T3232. No i did not pay extra. Guess my charm worked on the ladies working in our local town.

Recently did a trip up mount washington in my car and was pretty awesome. Had to do the return journey in the first gear!

Finally i have a query. Winter is almost near and i am looking at winter tires. People say you need a lower radius tire to use the law of physics to be able to drive around. Is that true. Also should i get a set of 4 steel rims to go with those tires? Any suggestion or recommendation is welcome.

Lastly someone suggested a wild idea to have studded tires on my motorcycle

Maddy
Old 1st September 2016, 02:08   #5469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Finally i have a query. Winter is almost near and i am looking at winter tires. People say you need a lower radius tire to use the law of physics to be able to drive around. Is that true. Also should i get a set of 4 steel rims to go with those tires? Any suggestion or recommendation is welcome.
Winter is nowhere close! there is a season called fall, to come before winter.

Anyway on Winter tires, would not recommend to change outer radius, but try for tires which are narrower with the same radius. You could get a steel wheel/ alloy with lower radius- but need to get a tire with a larger side wall to compensate for the reduction in radius on the wheel. In both cases - the tires outer diameter/ radious remains the same.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 02:48   #5470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post

Anyway on Winter tires, would not recommend to change outer radius, but try for tires which are narrower with the same radius. You could get a steel wheel/ alloy with lower radius- but need to get a tire with a larger side wall to compensate for the reduction in radius on the wheel. In both cases - the tires outer diameter/ radious remains the same.
He is in the far north of east coast, October storms can bring heavy snow (like last year).. So yeah he is prepping at the right time .
Keep the outer radius same - else your odometer is going to go nuts? But yes, usually winter tires + wheels package is a cheap wheel or steel wheels for most people. Some people also buy beater cars for the winter. If you live in urban areas with good snow clearing, you probably are ok with any decent set of tires and cars with good traction.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 19:22   #5471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
S The person gave me a quote to change my fork seals for guess what...."$500".

People say you need a lower radius tire to use the law of physics to be able to drive around. Is that true. Also should i get a set of 4 steel rims to go with those tires?
Ouch! That's a huge savings. Glad you found a way out.

For the winter tyres query - what car are you planning to fit them on?

You need a larger profile, narrow tire for winter as Jomz said.
Don't get steel rims man - you can get some nice alloys cheaper on Tire Rack.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 19:29   #5472
Senior - BHPian

4 winters in New Hampshire so far without feeling the need for winter tyres *knock on wood*
5th one coming up and might skip them this year as well. The charger needs new tyres anyway and the van's lease is also about to get over. So, one car will get new all seasons and the other might be replaced by a new vehicle.
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 19:33   #5473
BHPian

I guess by lower radius, maddy42 means lower rim size - if you are on 18s, get 17s or maybe even 16s.

Steel wheels are a convenience - You save your allows from the salt damage that'll inevitably happen and seasonal changeovers are a breeze as there is no mounting of tires involved.

Another alternate could be a set of cheaper alloys if you don't like the steel wheel look.
mohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 23:03   #5474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
4 winters in New Hampshire so far without feeling the need for winter tyres *knock on wood*
Isnt your car an AWD

but yeah i drove in a snow storm with my FWD accord & didnt have any scary moments, I guess RWD is where the fun happens
Technocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 00:10   #5475
Senior - BHPian

My stock tires are 225/45/R18 front and 245/45/r18 rear. I ended up ordering Nokia Hakkapalieta R2 with the size 225/55/r17 for both the front and rear. I have a genesis coupe which is a rwd so i hope the snow tires and probably a dead horse in my boot will help me not loose any traction .

Got the tires for 750 and steel wheels were 72. I felt it not worth while having a nice car with cra wheels the entire winter so went all out for alloys at $115 each.

Total cost $1350 with $200 rebate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
You make me question my decision but i have a rwd and live in rural country so may need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Ouch! That's a huge savings. Glad you found a way out.
For the winter tyres query - what car are you planning to fit them on?
Genesis coupe its a rwd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
He is in the far north of east coast, October storms can bring heavy snow (like last year).. So yeah he is prepping at the right time .
Keep the outer radius same - else your odometer is going to go nuts? .
Went for lower radius as recommended by a lot of folks here and other sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Sorry i totally forgot about fall, but cases of snow during halloween have occured here and there were good deals for tires due to labor day. Also moved from a desert so i know only two seasons - Hot and Not so hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Isnt your car an AWD

but yeah i drove in a snow storm with my FWD accord & didnt have any scary moments, I guess RWD is where the fun happens
Will post an update on this. I expect the worst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
I guess by lower radius, maddy42 means lower rim size - if you are on 18s, get 17s or maybe even 16s.

Another alternate could be a set of cheaper alloys if you don't like the steel wheel look.
Yes did that! Did a tonne of reading and thats what made sense. I get the wheels delivered with balancing, so i can install them myself over a bunch of six packs. You folks are welcome!

I have received anti vibration handlebars for my bike. Will take a tonne of pictures of the installation which will be done this weekend.

Maddy

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd September 2016 at 07:40. Reason: Rule #11 - strictly no mention of alcohol + extra smiley deleted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks