Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2015, 19:33   #4711
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here knows whether I can directly apply for a license without taking the learners permit in Massachusetts? One of my colleague mentioned that some states allow that if you have a valid driving license of India. I searched for some information in internet but couldn't find any.
Old 30th April 2015, 19:35   #4712
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Forgot to mention about my planned adventure this Saturday on 2nd May!
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...2#.VUItryFVhBc

Excited to see how my car will handle on a tight circuit. After changing the coilovers and dropping it's height, it has become a wonderful handler!

Also, it is time I should get my own helmet!
Hitting cones scratch paint. Take a wad of painters tape and cover up areas, like the bottom side of doors etc.

Overinflate tires. Normal pressures are not ideal. There might be an air compressor at the event.

Take lots of water. you get ~30 mins of driving and the rest of the day you would be waiting in line or working the cones.

Have lots of fun. Don't panic if you spin out, It is kind of surreal to see the world spin around you. I would recommend to spin atleast once, Just for the feeling.

Last edited by Jomz : 30th April 2015 at 19:36.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 20:10   #4713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Dang! I was at the DMV as well y'day for my wife's licensing and to go through the same slow NH DMV crap.

I wish i could join you on this adventure. I can try to take some great shots of your car in action. Are visitors allowed by any chance ?
I had to go to the Concord DMV. Were you also there? I went there in the afternoon, to avoid the morning rush.

I am sure they allow spectators at Autocross. It is after all a spectator sport too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Couple of weeks?
This is New Hampshire DMV. They are yet to enter 21st century. First time around also it took the same amount of time. Remember I had to actually mail my application for the course?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Hitting cones scratch paint. Take a wad of painters tape and cover up areas, like the bottom side of doors etc.

Overinflate tires. Normal pressures are not ideal. There might be an air compressor at the event.

Take lots of water. you get ~30 mins of driving and the rest of the day you would be waiting in line or working the cones.

Have lots of fun. Don't panic if you spin out, It is kind of surreal to see the world spin around you. I would recommend to spin atleast once, Just for the feeling.
Thanks for the tips!! I am also going through the novice handbook:
http://www.sccnh.org/AutocrossNoviceHandbook.pdf

Lots of information there as well.
Old 30th April 2015, 20:20   #4714
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the tips!! I am also going through the novice handbook:
http://www.sccnh.org/AutocrossNoviceHandbook.pdf

Lots of information there as well.
Well that book covers pretty much everything. Good start.
I was dead last in my first day.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 20:26   #4715
BHPian

Quote:
Couple of weeks?
I have been given a quote of 2 months to be expected in Mail and this is license Renewal where they already have my records in the system . NH DMV should get the primitive award!

Quote:
Were you also there? I went there in the afternoon, to avoid the morning rush....
Yup. Exactly at 2 PM. I will see if I can join for the event. Self Inviting here .
Do they have a list for what cars would be coming there on a said date ? the weather is supposed to be hitting 70's finally.
Old 30th April 2015, 20:35   #4716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup. Exactly at 2 PM. I will see if I can join for the event. Self Inviting here .
Do they have a list for what cars would be coming there on a said date ? the weather is supposed to be hitting 70's finally.
Hah! We missed each other by 5 minutes maybe! Celia was the one who served you?

You know what? I just read that sometimes they take walk ins too, but you'll need to get there early, like maybe 7 AM?

Yes I can see the list of cars attending the session. There are 27 cars enlisted, out of which 6 are Miatas (no surprise there), 3 BMWs, few VWs, a couple of Subies, a Camry, a Corolla and a Boxster.
Old 1st May 2015, 00:06   #4717
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Anyone here knows whether I can directly apply for a license without taking the learners permit in Massachusetts? One of my colleague mentioned that some states allow that if you have a valid driving license of India.
Nope, not MA. Look up the DMV website for MA - it has this information.
NJ used to do that a few years ago. One of my acquaintances got his license that way.
They've stopped now.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st May 2015 at 00:08.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 00:21   #4718
BHPian

I am in Ohio and I got my License last week. I was very much surprised that License is handed over the same day and same time immediately after one clears the road test. In Texas earlier, license would come in mail after 1-2 weeks. Till then some sort of paper was given in lieu of license.

Also I have a Toyota Camry 2012 LE and probably need to get front tires changed. Now can anyone suggest me if I should go for gently used tires or brand new ?
My rear tires are pretty new Michelin brand and front ones I don't remember.
I want to get all season tires and the place where I am staying, it snows heavily and temps dips below -10 Celsius in winter.

Please suggest how much I am expected to pay for a used tire and how much for new and where should I buy them from ? I have zero idea about tires and need some help.
I am located in Sidney, OH and not really in a big city so if it involves going to say Dayton or Cincinnati or Columbus, I need to plan accordingly.
Old 1st May 2015, 00:54   #4719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Now can anyone suggest me if I should go for gently used tires or brand new ?

Please suggest how much I am expected to pay for a used tire and how much for new and where should I buy them from ? I have zero idea about tires and need some help.
IMO, Go for a brand new set of tires if you can. You would not know the tear on a gently used one and will give you a peace of mind that you invested in New ones. Again my personal opinion.

A typical all season runs somewhere around $175-225 based on other factors. Tirerack.com has huge amount of information. It can also suggest some of those for Camry.

I myself drive a RWD in snow with dedicated Michelin X-Ice3. and these tires have served me well in the 15ft snow's we received here this winter.
Old 1st May 2015, 01:32   #4720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been given a quote of 2 months to be expected in Mail and this is license Renewal where they already have my records in the system . NH DMV should get the primitive award!
Oh so do they give some document which acts as temporary license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Nope, not MA. Look up the DMV website for MA - it has this information.
NJ used to do that a few years ago. One of my acquaintances got his license that way.
They've stopped now.
Actually NJ still does, it really depends on the condition of your Indian DL but mostly on the person behind the desk

If the License is in good condition & they can read that it show you were eligible for driving a car they accept it but if it looks torn or in bad shape then they dont.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st May 2015 at 18:36.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 02:25   #4721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Anyone here knows whether I can directly apply for a license without taking the learners permit in Massachusetts? One of my colleague mentioned that some states allow that if you have a valid driving license of India. I searched for some information in internet but couldn't find any.
I got my MA license 11 months back and as per the DMV, we have to obtain the permit and then book a test date for the license.
The permit is an easy thing to get, just need to read the DMV book (available online).
ariendj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 09:26   #4722
Senior - BHPian

I found this parked in our office parking lot. What is it? Is it road legal? Is it a Caterham maybe? Are Caterhams road legal in the US? I guess it has to be road legal because it has a license plate on it. I couldn't find a name on it, nothing. Wow I would love to drive that.

And someone found a way to park even that so close to the line.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-littlecarresized.png
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-littlecar2resized.png

This baby is cool too. On the way back home after work.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-googlecarresized.jpg
rajushank84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 11:09   #4723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I found this parked in our office parking lot. What is it? Is it road legal? Is it a Caterham maybe? Are Caterhams road legal in the US? I guess it has to be road legal because it has a license plate on it. I couldn't find a name on it, nothing. Wow I would love to drive that.

A]
Don't know what it is, but it is not a Caterham, or at least not one I'm familiar with.

Jeroen
Old 1st May 2015, 15:56   #4724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I found this parked in our office parking lot. What is it?
I think that's a dune buggy.
Old 1st May 2015, 19:59   #4725
BHPian

Quote:
Oh so do they give some document which acts as temporary license?

Actually NJ still does....
Yes, A paper license which acts like a license in processing. But can't use it as official doc. You need to have a secondary doc when you have the paper license.

I got my license in state of NJ in 2006 and it was just the written test at that time. They accepted my paper booklet.

Here in NH, you need to have a driving extract which mentions that you do not have any infractions/tickets in the home country where you drive. They are pretty strict about this doc.

Last edited by Fraz33r : 1st May 2015 at 20:02. Reason: Spelling
Fraz33r is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks