Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2015, 09:11   #4816
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

To what extent is the licensed person sitting next to the person with the learners permit, liable?

One of my friends got a rental car with insurance based on Indian license (though he doesn't know driving even in India ). Now he has written the DMV exam and wants me to sit next to him as he teaches himself to drive as the law requires it. I am asking him to get some classes first, but he wants to save some money.

Personally, I am not that confident about his driving and want to understand the liabilities if I sit next to him and he hits something (worst case). Will my insurance or my license be involved at any point?
Old 17th June 2015, 18:52   #4817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatcher View Post
Hi BHPians,
I just moved to San jose,California about 2 months back. I bought a 2011 used civic done about 55k miles. While I test drive the car everything was fine. From about last 2 weeks I am getting a kind of whining noise which increases as I accelerate. Also I see mild vibrations in the cabin when I cross 65mph.
Any idea what could be the reason for this?
Also can you suggest me a good independent mechanic to get this fixed. I heard dealers will rip you apart.

Thanks in advance for the response.
The issue seems to be a worn out Wheel bearing which is mostly the case when the car gives out an whining noise and resonates with a humming sound after a particular speed.

Last edited by mTorque : 17th June 2015 at 18:53. Reason: Typos
mTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 19:49   #4818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Insurance suggestions solicited

Having moved to North Carolina, I'm caught with the predictment of my auto insurance quotes literally doubling inspite of claim/ticket free 6 months US driving, due to a regulatory rule of NC which doesn't recognize driving history outside US (&Canada & Purto Rico); which puts me in the <1 year of driving experience.

Now I have gone through atleast 8-10 firms (including most of the top players) and the only one that has given me a decent quote is Nationwide. Feedback solicited on this firm - anyone out here who knows anyone (or has) experience with Nationwide?
It might be a good idea to let Progressive put that device in your car that tracks your driving. They typically have 30 - 40% discount based on the nature of your driving as measured using the device. Also, keep your deductubles high for the time being, and drive very safe. Once your rate quotes come down, you can think of switching policies. If you are still with Cognizant, they have an employee rate program with Metlife - another avenue you might want to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
To what extent is the licensed person sitting next to the person with the learners permit, liable?

Personally, I am not that confident about his driving and want to understand the liabilities if I sit next to him and he hits something (worst case). Will my insurance or my license be involved at any point?
I would be more worried about safety than liability. I think you should pretty much force him to take some classes before you agree to be shotgun in his learning lessons. If it is a close friend and this is going to sour your relationship, it still might be worth explaining the dangers and convincing him.

Model year switch might be happening, Infiniti has some really cool national lease deals on all models. Local dealers may offer even lower prices. For those in the market - Infiniti USA - Current Offers

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 17th June 2015 at 19:51.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 22:33   #4819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post
The issue seems to be a worn out Wheel bearing which is mostly the case when the car gives out an whining noise and resonates with a humming sound after a particular speed.
Thank you for the analyis. Yesterday I did visit Winstons as suggested by one of the BHPians here. He did a test drive of the car and jacked it up and looked for the noise.
He finally concluded that my front tires have a depth < 2/32nds and they need replacement.

Typically how long do the tyres last here? I am quite sure the previous owner hasn't switched them out even once.

Also, can I get only the front 2 tyres replaced? The rear ones have 7/32nds of depth.
Old 17th June 2015, 23:10   #4820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatcher View Post
Thank you for the analyis. Yesterday I did visit Winstons as suggested by one of the BHPians here. He did a test drive of the car and jacked it up and looked for the noise.
He finally concluded that my front tires have a depth < 2/32nds and they need replacement.

Typically how long do the tyres last here? I am quite sure the previous owner hasn't switched them out even once.

Also, can I get only the front 2 tyres replaced? The rear ones have 7/32nds of depth.
Its always better to replace all the 4 wheels(and you may get some better deals as well). But yea you can still change the front two. Go back a few pages in this thread, there was a discussion on buying tires.

This is a classic example of not having done tire rotations.
Old 17th June 2015, 23:13   #4821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
I am 6 foot and on the larger side of life, so would prefer a car which wont make me stoop too low to get in, like the example i mentioned above.

Accents and Elantras are also available but will need to be vigilant for the recall history of Steering Judder.
I would suggest that you look for SUVs for comfort, some like the older Mitsubishi ones go real cheap.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 07:35   #4822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I would suggest that you look for SUVs for comfort.
I would love to have an SUV, but owing to higher fuel consumption, higher maintenance, higher rates of insurance for drivers with no U.S. Driving history etc makes me look for a sedan :(

But, do you have a specific example in mind from the Mitsubishi Stable. Would greatly appreciate
Old 18th June 2015, 08:15   #4823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would love to have an SUV, but owing to higher fuel consumption, higher maintenance, higher rates of insurance for drivers with no U.S. Driving history etc makes me look for a sedan :(

But, do you have a specific example in mind from the Mitsubishi Stable. Would greatly appreciate
You will be surprised to know this but SUV's have lower insurance than sedans

My premium came down when i switched from a V6 accord to an Acura MDX

You can find Montero's for cheap in your area, check some of these

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5079546440.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5058982690.html

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/5061916585.html

There is even a 2008 Forestor for under 6k

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5079627151.html

Honda Pilot

http://rockies.craigslist.org/cto/5076277728.html

Outlander

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/5054504950.html

Search for more, you will have to compromise on either the age or the mileage for it to fit your budget.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 10:39   #4824
BHPian

Quote:
Search for more, you will have to compromise on either the age or the mileage for it to fit your budget.
Thank you very much Technocrat for the taking the pain to show the examples for me.

I went through the the examples.

The timing belt, gasket, water pump etc are changed on a particular example and the vehicle has run 150k +miles. Would you happen to know if these are sufficient till 200k miles or will the suspensions, 4 WD mechanism need maintenance as well. How much real world mileage can we expect out of these SUVs.

The Subaru seemed overpriced for 200k miles.
Old 19th June 2015, 07:54   #4825
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much Technocrat for the taking the pain to show the examples for me.

I went through the the examples.

The timing belt, gasket, water pump etc are changed on a particular example and the vehicle has run 150k +miles. Would you happen to know if these are sufficient till 200k miles or will the suspensions, 4 WD mechanism need maintenance as well. How much real world mileage can we expect out of these SUVs.

The Subaru seemed overpriced for 200k miles.
Though Subarus are aplenty in CO and would be a challenge to find under your budget with low miles.

Technocrat, Are Mitsubishi reliable as the Toyota/Honda?
Old 19th June 2015, 19:44   #4826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Hello Everyone!
Congo Chev!!, Whats latest on your 'vette?

Quote:
Well, I am ok if its 110,000 or so.
TorqMaster - For now, Stick with 2004-2005 Honda Civic (90K-120K) miles. You will easily get one for under 5K, just ensure that the timing belt/Water pump has been changed (Its usually $500-$600 job at an Indy shop)

After an year, you will definitely have the bug for upgrade, at that time trade in your Civic(You will hardly have a depreciation hit) and go for a CPO <Your Fav Car>

Last edited by ToroRosso : 19th June 2015 at 19:59.
ToroRosso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 22:35   #4827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Technocrat, Are Mitsubishi reliable as the Toyota/Honda?
Honestly I am not aware, however beinga Jap and fairly reputable one, i would think that they should be reliable.

This remindes me of a signature of a fellow Bhpian which is not directly relevant but somewhat is

Cheap & Reliable wont be Fast, Cheap & Fast wont be Reliable, Fast & Reliable wont be Cheap.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th June 2015 at 22:40.
Old 20th June 2015, 01:18   #4828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
You don't want to get there TR. Where have you been missing lately.

Quote:
Cheap & Reliable wont be Fast, Cheap & Fast wont be Reliable, Fast & Reliable wont be Cheap.

indeed.

yea I was also hoping Mitsubishi would have the same craze Toyota/Honda has, but seemingly less hence was wondering how reliable it would be.
Old 20th June 2015, 17:41   #4829
Senior - BHPian

I think the Mitsubishi lineup has not had a refresh in a long time. Besides, most of the sedans are bought by college students and are generally neglected. So, it is hard to find a good piece in used car market mainly because:
a. People dont buy them anymore. I've seen more Hummers than Mitsubishis!
b. Those who buy them dont do a good job of maintaining them.
Old 21st June 2015, 11:53   #4830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Thanks TR!

The vette has been sold!

I traded it in for Murano.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks