Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 22:51   #4891
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

Wow that's a great price, I am assuming its Comprehensive, right?

Congratulations on buying a house Yes combined policy should definetly be cheaper.
Thank you. Having a baby and getting a house in the same month has been quite the time of our lives.

And yes, the insurance, It is full coverage - 100/300/100 and 500 deductibles on collision and comprehensive. The price dropped from 120 to 107 after completing 3 years with GEICO, then they added accident forgiveness and after we moved, it fell to 97 - which I think is pretty awesome. Have you considered umbrella insurance? My real estate lawyer suggested that as a really good idea.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 7th August 2015 at 22:52.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 22:52   #4892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
You have to keep rubbing it na
Haha. I am sure the tables would turn if we start discussing vehicle registration costs! I paid $620 for the Odyssey this year Yes it is annual.
Old 7th August 2015, 22:59   #4893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I had a 260$ premium for the first month with progressive the first time ever I bought a car in the US (VW Jetta), switched in 1 week to Geico and premium went down to 140$ - this was in Stamford, CT.
That's because there is an important underwriting question for Auto policies - "Do you posess prior insurance?". A negative answer here puts you in the red. The other "hot" spots are whether you're young, married or not, what your garaging location (territory) is etc.
But yeah, even I jumped from GEICO to Progressive in 1 month and went from $200 a month to $150. 30 days from then on, I got to $105 thanks to the telematics
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 23:13   #4894
BHPian

Here in Nevada, my Auto insurance payment with State Farm, who I find is typically more expensive, per month is $220/month total for - 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP - ~28,000 miles, 2004 Corvette Z06 - ~7,900 miles, 2011 Mazda CX9 AWD ~30,000 miles, 1971 Porsche 911 ~52,000 miles, 2012 Harley Davidson Vrod - 10th AE Edition ~3,300 miles.

I also have the home owners insurance, ~630/year, with State Farm with all the associated discounts for active Home Security monitoring etc., etc. I therefore, do get all the discounts for the autos.

I do consider both the auto and home insurance excessive and I know I can get better deals. I do however, run into the issue of some insurers not insuring motorcycles. One advantage I have with State Farm is that, when I buy a car, I just give them a call right there and I am covered, no questions asked. One reason I am reluctant to change but, I will be exploring some other options this year, for sure.
Old 7th August 2015, 23:52   #4895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
That's because there is an important underwriting question for Auto policies - "Do you posess prior insurance?".
You work with insurance companies, sounds like ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Haha. I am sure the tables would turn if we start discussing vehicle registration costs! I paid $620 for the Odyssey this year Yes it is annual.
In Illinois, it is 100$ every year, irrespective of the age and value of the car. But the north east has some property taxes on automobiles, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Here in Nevada, my Auto insurance payment with State Farm, who I find is typically more expensive, per month is $220/month total for - 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP - ~28,000 miles, 2004 Corvette Z06 - ~7,900 miles, 2011 Mazda CX9 AWD ~30,000 miles, 1971 Porsche 911 ~52,000 miles, 2012 Harley Davidson Vrod - 10th AE Edition ~3,300 miles.

I also have the home owners insurance, ~630/year, with State Farm with all the associated discounts for active Home Security monitoring etc., etc. I therefore, do get all the discounts for the autos.
I have my homeowners (680$) with state farm and auto with GEICO. From all my analysis and quotes, they are respectively the cheapest (and cheaper than combining both with one insurer). I tried to add auto on state farm and homeowners on GEICO - both turned out to be more expensive than keeping them separate. I know it is weird, perhaps an anomaly - I also plan to check back in a year.
Old 7th August 2015, 23:59   #4896
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You work with insurance companies, sounds like ?
I am actually typing out these responses from within the premises of a prominent insurer in NA Auto underwriting is my core area.
Old 8th August 2015, 00:40   #4897
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But the north east has some property taxes on automobiles, right?
Only CT. I just learned that a few weeks ago.
Old 8th August 2015, 00:42   #4898
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that seems comparable to what I am paying Geico.

On a totally unrelated topic, anyone here in US into cycling?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post3773467
I picked up cycling 1-2 years ago. Have a Giant Defy 5 roadbike. Ride 1-2 times / week @ 25-30 miles each ride.

Here is a pic of my steed.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-bike.jpg  

Last edited by Jomz : 8th August 2015 at 00:46.
Jomz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 00:45   #4899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Only CT. I just learned that a few weeks ago.
I thought I paid property tax for my car in Rhode Island in 2012. I however don't remember how much it was. So it maybe just a small number compared to CT.
Old 8th August 2015, 01:51   #4900
BHPian

Quote:
That is definitely a good price for all that together. I guess being in Milwaukee also helps?
Yes, I think the insurance rates here in WI are cheaper compared to neighbouring states. I was told, If you specify that you have covered parking and you don't overnight park on streets would get you a little more discount. I went thru an insurance agent and she did mention it to me. Not sure, if this is true. but i couldn't complain as i was getting a good deal.

Quote:
Thank you. Having a baby and getting a house in the same month has been quite the time of our lives.
Hearty Congratulations !! on your new arrival and latest Acquisition.

Last edited by Otomobil : 8th August 2015 at 02:03.
Otomobil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 02:55   #4901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you considered umbrella insurance? My real estate lawyer suggested that as a really good idea.
Congratulations on the addition to the family :-)

I am not a home owner but still will read more on it. Also try Renter's insurance, may be that will help.

Quote:
Oh yeah I pay standard $75 annually But pay $125/month for the MDX :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
you pay $220 for 5 vehicles & you are still complaining

Quote:
In Illinois, it is 100$ every year, irrespective of the age and value of the car. But the north east has some property taxes on automobiles, right?
Not in NJ
Old 9th August 2015, 04:50   #4902
Senior - BHPian

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Having a hard time picking a car as an upgrade from my e92 328i coupe.

Requirements
- automatic
- hatch or sedan
- small, nimble, handle well
- four door and four seats
- fast (faster than say 328i or gti. Five second zero to 60)
- some exclusivity. Not super exclusive but it shouldn't be every other car
- rwd or awd
- preferably v8 or turbo v6
- under 40k
- new or 2012 up, cpo if German
- should be fairly loaded (nav etc)

Shortlisted 335i, S4 and golf R.

I like g37 but not looking at it because it's too common.

Didn't find any American cars fulfilling the "small, nimble, handle well" factor. Otherwise Charger etc will come into picture.

Lot of cars are out because it has to be automatic, hatch or sedan with four doors and four seats.

Looks like Golf R is in super high demand, dealers are not giving test drives and people are paying in advance and buying whatever allocation they get without test drives. I saw one car it had just come in, by next morning it was gone. Also prices are crazy jacked up over msrp due to demand.

Audi s4 - did a test drive I kinda like it. It's a different beast than the BMW s I'm used to. Handles well but feels heavy. Quick but doesn't feel as quick as I expected.

Test drove 335i , performance is identical to s4. Again not as quick as I expected.

Looks like I'll end up in an s4 or an f30 335i depending on the deal.
I guess I'll also keep watching the deals for m3 or c63amg but I don't see it happening with cpo at my price point.

Not sure if my expectations are too high. I remember being much more impressed by 335i performance a couple of years back. Now both it and s4 are on "acceptable" levels, not what I would call "exciting" acceleration.

No tesla. Has to be gas.

Thoughts?

Last edited by rajushank84 : 9th August 2015 at 04:53.
Old 9th August 2015, 06:39   #4903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Having a hard time picking a car as an upgrade from my e92 328i coupe.

Requirements
- automatic
- hatch or sedan
- small, nimble, handle well
- four door and four seats
- fast (faster than say 328i or gti. Five second zero to 60)
- some exclusivity. Not super exclusive but it shouldn't be every other car
- rwd or awd
- preferably v8 or turbo v6
- under 40k
- new or 2012 up, cpo if German
- should be fairly loaded (nav etc)

Shortlisted 335i, S4 and golf R.

Looks like Golf R is in super high demand, dealers are not giving test drives and people are paying in advance and buying whatever allocation they get without test drives. I saw one car it had just come in, by next morning it was gone. Also prices are crazy jacked up over msrp due to demand.

How about holding out for a Focus RS if you can live with a stick shift?
On another note, you could also go for a WRX STI for similar money - has the performance you desire. But, again, does it come with automatic?

Golf R is a car meant to be exclusive - they only make a fixed number every model year. There is also a Golf R 400 coming which would be even more exclusive.
Old 9th August 2015, 06:43   #4904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How about holding out for a Focus RS if you can live with a stick shift?

On another note, you could also go for a WRX STI for similar money - has the performance you desire. But, again, does it come with automatic?

Golf R is a car meant to be exclusive - they only make a fixed number every model year. There is also a Golf R 400 coming which would be even more exclusive.

No stick unfortunately. Wife is also going to use the car, strict requirements . If stick is ok then the decision is easy - STI. But alas.
Old 9th August 2015, 07:18   #4905
BHPian

Here are some options for you

Infiniti Q50 ($37,150) - (3.7L V6 with 328hp) - (0-60 in 5.5sec)
Dodge Charger R/T ($30,695) - (5.7L V8 with 370hp) - (0-60 in 5.4sec)
Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack ($39,995) - (6.4L HEMI V8 with 485hp) - (0-60 in 4.5sec)

There are more options with the Dodge Charger which make it faster and thus more expensive.

SRT 392 and best of all, the HELLCAT! Heard they're all pretty good

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks