Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2007, 20:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Bicycles thread

We discuss everything on wheels here...but there is one thing we overlook...the first set of wheels for almost all of us...the Bicycle...

How many of us are active cyclists here? What cycle do you have and what cycle you had as a kid? What gear do you have?

Share all your memories of cycling here....

If there are more than one cyclist in a city, we can have cycling meets and go for long rides..

Go pedalling Team-BHP...

Last edited by aah78 : 6th June 2008 at 23:11. Reason: Title edited.
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2007, 21:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

My first cycle was an Avon. Still remember the day i learnt how to balance.

I then switched to a Hero Ranger, rugged but hard on your legs. Everyday after school, we'd tear down the golf course, on our way to tutions.

When i was in 8th or so, i got a Concord (the sporty one with the curved racing handle). It wasn't hard on my legs, but me backside took a lot of beating. LOL

Shan2nu
Old 24th January 2007, 21:50   #3
BHPian

1. BMX - Learnt how to cyle from this itself.. when i was 7 to 8 yrs old.

2. Wildcat by Hero.... very rear cycles, they came with Black Mags.... i had it till i was 10yrs.

3. Had a Hero Ranger for a while.

4. Then i got the TOP Gear. I was the first one in Hyd to get IT. the 5 gr speed.

3. Since my *** became a little bigger! . I got a chinese made cycle 18 gears ... this metal was very light . the speciality aboiut this one was it had the lightest metal and most lighest cycle ever. the rear brakes setup were completely different , will try to explain it. The Gear changing was so smooth and the best i had. Cycle name was Thunder.The top speed i did was 45 kmph racing with a lambretta scooter : )

4. Next i got a Hero ..... Ranger Swing. It had the handle bar shift gear type 18 gears. Good Cycle but gearing shift sucked big time.

i always used to be between the 10 to 12th gear most of the time. The

After that i got a TVS CHAMP , cycle cum bike.

Last edited by nosfreak : 24th January 2007 at 21:52.
Old 24th January 2007, 22:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

I really love cycling and Iv gone throught a couple of bikes so far....my last bike is just lying somewhere in my building...its a 18 speed Supercycle with suspension for the front wheels.....i wanna get it up nd running again this summer.....btw does anyone know if its possible to get disc brakes fitted onto a bike?
Old 24th January 2007, 22:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

I had an Avon BMX to start with and then was gifted a BSA Mach-10 . 10 speed gears in 1996 was something to have still remember those tiny tyres and aluminum brakes.
Old 25th January 2007, 06:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Do any of youll still cycle? Once I learnt to drive iv never ridden my cycle....like I said before I want to get back into it this summer.
Old 25th January 2007, 06:41   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I really love cycling and Iv gone throught a couple of bikes so far....my last bike is just lying somewhere in my building...its a 18 speed Supercycle with suspension for the front wheels.....i wanna get it up nd running again this summer.....btw does anyone know if its possible to get disc brakes fitted onto a bike?
Diamond back makes bicycles with diskbrakes. Comes in very handy when you hit the mountain trails that are wet. Usually the rims get wet, and reduces the braking capability.

The disk brakes are supposed to be awesome in this regard. But, going by the laws of physics, you would think it is much more easier to stop a wheel holding it by the rim, than at the center.

Here is the link to the diamond back model I was talking about.
Mission/All MTN XSL Trail `07-Diamondback Bicycles
Old 25th January 2007, 07:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Diamond back makes bicycles with diskbrakes. Comes in very handy when you hit the mountain trails that are wet. Usually the rims get wet, and reduces the braking capability.

The disk brakes are supposed to be awesome in this regard. But, going by the laws of physics, you would think it is much more easier to stop a wheel holding it by the rim, than at the center.

Here is the link to the diamond back model I was talking about.
Mission/All MTN XSL Trail `07-Diamondback Bicycles
The problem with regular brakes are that they dont work when its wet or when the rim is bent a bit..
Old 25th January 2007, 09:00   #9
BHPian

As a kid I had a cycle with raised Handle Bar and a typical "Polo Seat/Sissy Bar" saddle (can't remember exactly the make/name, but carried a "Paramount" metallic logo in front". We (me and my younger brother) used to abuse that bike like anything. Used to ride it straight to a manhole cover and the bike's front wheel used to lift up on impact. Eventually the bikes end came when the front wheel dislodged completely from the rest of the frame .

Then got my hands on a Hercules MTB. Heavy and rigid structure. My brother got a sleeker one from Atlas.

Alas, my father sold (or rather gave away) both when we were away from our native working/studying.

But I still feel that cycling should be taken up by working professionals like us. It's a good exercise, maybe the second best after swimming. Abroad there are many companies that encourage their employees to cycle to office. Of course there they have the safety of separate "bicycle Lanes".
Old 25th January 2007, 09:09   #10
BHPian

Nice topic and nostalgic. I used my brothers BSA SLR , lovely one and still I have it at my hometown, now 20+ years old.
Old 25th January 2007, 09:34   #11
BHPian

in order
- Tobo
- Hero ( regular )
- Hero Ranger ( blue )
Old 25th January 2007, 09:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

I initially had a black BSA Streetcat (with flaps, as on dirt bikes on the handle bars). Loved it! But then got tired of it and got a blue Hercules Cannon Barrel MTB. It was lying around in my building till a couple of months ago, when I decided to give it away. I kept promising myself I would use it to get some exercise.
Come to think of it, cycling home from school with a bunch of friends was enormous fun!
Old 25th January 2007, 10:44   #13
BHPian

1St love

AS kid i used to ride BMX 750, i guess that was when i was IN the 6th STD , then as time passed Modded my Cycle . Had Blue Wheels so Changed the Rear Wheel to Yellow, Painted the Cycle black. Untill 10th Std i used to ride the cycle and do stunts like Wheelie and Skids and ride without holding the Handle bar. (hahahaha) Recently had gone for my Honeymoon to TN & Kerela and got a chance to Ride the Bicycle once again.Rode around Kodaikanal Lake which is like 5 approx. Now Just i just Cycle In the Gym, but would Mind if we have a meet on the cycle... what Say...
Old 25th January 2007, 11:18   #14
Team-BHP Support

I had a BSA SLR. It was a good bicycle - light and attractive in its time. I used to love riding. I gave it to my security guard more than 10 years ago and haven't got on a bicycle since.
Stuck in traffic jams, often I wonder if I could reach work quicker on a bicycle than my car.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th January 2007 at 14:44.
Old 25th January 2007, 12:33   #15
Team-BHP Support

i first had a hercules top gear..
for the last 5 years ive had a raleigh m40.. 21 gears, front suspension,great mountain bike, light enough to lift with 2 fingers, great brakes. ive had some memorable falls on it too. and i also have spare tyres and brakes for when they wear out.

M40 Mountain Bike Raleigh USA Bicycles
my bike is just like this only that its totally red.

Most Viewed