Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2024, 11:03   #7321
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
My latest acquisition, a pre owned Dutch bike - Pacific. Frame size XL, and powered by Shimano Nexus 8. Though I wanted to buy a proper Gazelle or Batavus, I somehow loved this bike for the price-value ratio. Been using it for daily commute to office and loving it.
Hi Gandalf!

What are the advantages of these vintage looking Dutch bikes over modern flat bar hybrids for commuting? Why are they so popular in Holland. Is it a culture thing?

Also, why is your saddle nose tilted so dramatically upward. Does that not cause any issues down under? Or is there some clever suspension mechanism that brings it level when you mount it?

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 7th May 2024 at 11:09.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 11:42   #7322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Hi Gandalf!

What are the advantages of these vintage looking Dutch bikes over modern flat bar hybrids for commuting? Why are they so popular in Holland. Is it a culture thing?
Hi Doc,

One of the main advantages I can think of is the riding posture and also the weight of the bike to some extent. A proper vintage "dutch" bike even has its handlebars so near you that one can feel like they're sitting on a nice chair and pedalling. The upright riding posture is usually suited for the daily errands such as dropping kids to school, supermarket runs that require around 5KMs of riding. The Dutch also have couple of other bikes for respective purposes, such as touring and carrying loads. The culture is also a very big factor as you mentioned l. Most people believe, if it ain't broken, don't fix it types for lot of things here.

Quote:
Also, why is your saddle nose tilted so dramatically upward. Does that not cause any issues down under? Or is there some clever suspension mechanism that brings it level when you mount it?

Cheers, Doc
Ha ha, the pic was taken immediately after purchase and on the way back home. I found the screw below the seat was loose, so the seat was tilted. While the seat also has a small suspension, its nose was not intended to be tilted to the front. I did tighten the crew and the seat is normal now.

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 01:12   #7323
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Doc,

One of the main advantages I can think of is the riding posture and also the weight of the bike to some extent. A proper vintage "dutch" bike even has its handlebars so near you that one can feel like they're sitting on a nice chair and pedalling. The upright riding posture is usually suited for the daily errands such as dropping kids to school, supermarket runs that require around 5KMs of riding. The Dutch also have couple of other bikes for respective purposes, such as touring and carrying loads. The culture is also a very big factor as you mentioned l. Most people believe, if it ain't broken, don't fix it types for lot of things here.
@ebonoho Doc, There were some sentences/words missing in my reply which make my reply seem incoherent. Anyway clarifying them below

Quote:
weight of the bike to some extent
This point I think is a major one because the Dutch headwinds are strong, so the weight helps a lot to keep the bike planted and people can carry on with their daily activities. On some days the winds really brutal that the cyclists just stand stationary on the road during such winds or hold onto something.

Quote:
The culture is also a very big factor as you mentioned l. Most people believe, if it ain't broken, don't fix it types for lot of things here.
Most people here live by if it ain't broken, then don't fix it. Also Dutch value longevity a lot. That's why a heavy bike, with hub gearing system that require less maintenance have been very popular for a long time as these age really well. So there were less incentive to move to a hybrids. Although, a lot of people have hybrids/road bikes as their secondary bikes, the proper Dutch bikes are quite common and popular.

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 18:05   #7324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although, a lot of people have hybrids/road bikes as their secondary bikes, the proper Dutch bikes are quite common and popular.
The Dutch style of bikes seems pretty unique to the country, geared towards utility than anything else. I looked up if similar styled bikes are available here but apart from Trek Cruiser lineup couldn't really find anything close from other mainstream manufacturers. Bikes here, even the flat handlebar ones, are quite different from Dutch styled including the equipment. It's really fascinating the way cycling culture has evolved there. Japan probably has similar culture too.

Last edited by amol4184 : 9th May 2024 at 18:06.
amol4184 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 15:50   #7325
BHPian

My first bike was a Hero in early 90s. BSA SLRs were all the rage those days and Hero was making an almost identical model for a cheaper price. Like a good middle class dad, my dad saw no reason to spend extra money for the brand. So Hero it was.

Since then -

1) Firefox - India, still around.

2) Cannnondale - US, sold.

The Bicycles thread-cannondale.jpeg

3) Decathlon Riverside, Stella, Piaggio, Riese en Muller and a few more - Netherlands. Sold or Lost

The Bicycles thread-piaggio.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-rnm.jpeg

4) Urban Arrow Family Active - Cargobike - Netherlands - Still around.

The Bicycles thread-urban.jpeg

5) Harley Davidson Serial 1 CTY Step Thru - Netherlands - Still around.

The Bicycles thread-img_6353.jpeg

I wrote about it recently (I finally bought a Harley Davidson. In a Dutch way…). Warning - It is a long thread.
maheepgupta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 21:58   #7326
BHPian

Dear all
I am new to cycling. My cycling experience dates back to my school days when I used to own a BSA Streetcat. Now it's been 20 years. I have recently managed to get an old bike from a friend, the BTWIN rockrider 300 MTB 26inch. I took a few 25 km rides which involved riding for nearly 2 hours. But I find the bike to be a bit uncomfortable. I am riding it at the highest seat height. I feel a lot of load on my wrists and the hands start paining after some time. I am 5 ft 8 inches tall.

I am planning to buy a new bike. I will be mainly riding on city roads and highways and occasionally through country roads. I am very much impressed with the BTWIN riverside hybrid bikes. The 120 and 500. Can you guys guide me on narrowing down on one of them. Of course there is a price difference of nearly 8k rupees. But is the aluminium frame, front suspension and disc brakes in riverside 500 worth the extra amount being spent. Also kindly advise the exact size of the bike i should get for my height. Thanks in advance.
i20ian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 22:07   #7327

Recently purchased my first road bike - the Giant Contend 3. A big thank you to everyone on this thread - both the questioners and the respondents! Even though I didn't participate on the discussions, I still learnt so much.

Buying Decision:
I really wanted a road bike on a budget. The initial options were the RC120, some local Indian makers (like FitTrip and Battalion), and a used Polygon Stratos S2 on OLX.
The RC120 was the forerunner, but finally I decided against it due to the many reviews of the spokes/hub breaking. I live in Solan, H.P. and the nearest Decathlon is over 70 km away. I didn't feel like taking a risk with this bike.
The Indian makers were promising, but I felt that they were offering too much at too low a price. It usually means compromises in other not-so-flashy areas (like the frame and hubs).
Just when I was thinking of finalizing the Polygon, I saw that Giant's official website had a 10,000 Rs discount on the Contend 3 and it was available with no-cost EMI. I wasn't thinking of crossing the Rs 50k mark, but the EMI option made it within budget. Used a bike fit calculator to get to my size and placed the order online.
After the bike arrived, I spent an unsuccessful 2 days putting it together. I got the brakes, the saddle, the handles and the rear derailleur installed, but the front derailleur eluded me. Finally admitted defeat and took it to Chandigarh to an authorized Giant dealer. The technician there set the bike up in under 2 hours. It was amazing to see!

Thoughts on the bike: My immediate reaction while riding the bike for the first time was "wow, this feels really odd". It is so different to anything I've ridden thus far. I have been ridden on high saddles, but the high saddle with the low handlebars was another thing altogether. I can easily ride with 1 hand on a hybrid bike, but here it feels scary. Same goes for riding off the saddle. I guess (hope?) things will become easier.
The bike itself is great to ride. I can easily do really steep ascents (gradients of over 10%). The bike has a 1:1 gear ratio at the easiest level (34/50 and 11/34), so climbs are easy. I wish the tires were slightly wider. There's lots of broken roads where I stay and I'm always nervous riding on them.
The saddle is hard, but I'm getting used to it.
The last thing is that while going downhill, my hands hurt. It makes sense as more of my bodyweight is on my hands, but it would be nice to find a solution.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with this bike. Planning to do my first medium ride (~50km) this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-cycle-picture.png  

agastya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 10:08   #7328
BHPian

Wise folks of the forum, seeking a little advice.
My company is sending me to Singapore for month and I was planning on buying a bike there as my cousin who is living there, rides extensively with his group. Have already decided on the bike which will cost me SGD 800 - about 49k. I would like to bring the bike back with me to India. Now, since the cost of the bike is below the Duty Free Baggage Allowance (50k), will it be allowed through without any Customs hassle or will I be subjected to a duty?

If anyone can share their experience or opinion on this, will be a big help!
AnniHilat0R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 10:35   #7329
Senior - BHPian

Should not be any problem. If you have the bill, and its already been used.

Cheers, Doc
Old 29th May 2024, 11:17   #7330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Now, since the cost of the bike is below the Duty Free Baggage Allowance (50k), will it be allowed through without any Customs hassle or will I be subjected to a duty?
No you won't; as long as you are able to showcase that it's a a used bike.
Quote:
If anyone can share their experience or opinion on this, will be a big help!
Scroll back a few pages of @amol4184's experience of bringing a used cycle back to India from overseas.
Old 29th May 2024, 11:26   #7331
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, if you have this opportunity, buy something better and get it back. Iit does not make sense to buy a brand new sub 50k bike abroad and take the trouble of getting it back here. More than enough such bikes being sold locally in India already. Yes you might get the equivalent a bit cheaper abroad. But that's not really worth the trouble. International airfare and luggage is a premium. Maximise it.

Cheers, Doc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks