Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2021, 13:31   #5821
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I got a MET helmet - in black/red metallic, quite a comfortable helmet.
https://www.met-helmets.com/en/shop/...helmets/idolo/

And my wife have a Limar one. Not sure if these are available in India.
https://limar.com/shop/cycling-en/urbe-2019/?lang=en
I love the MET shell shape.

My new road helmet is the Bell Crest.

The Bicycles thread-img_20201213_180718.jpg

As its my road bike helmet, I use it without the peak. Very light, good coverage, very comfortable, good ventilation, not much sound or buffeting.

For my hybrid, I have the Btwin Rockrider ER9 helmet. Brilliant, high end, retailing for 4,500 way back in 2015 (of course I got a great deal ... lol)! My faithful lid over all my BRMs.

The Bicycles thread-img_20201220_104819.jpg

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd June 2021 at 13:33.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:03   #5822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
From the image, the brake pads look like they have plenty of life left in them.You can clean the braking surface of the rims with some isopropyl alcohol, clean and remove any debris from the brake pads themselves and do a toe-in to improve the braking:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=EznZGueCEFs
I have cleaned the pads by light filing just to get rid of the top layer. The rims I clean regularly with damp cloth, but even so the brakes just lack stopping power. Was looking for suggestions for some better quality pads.
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:17   #5823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Was looking for suggestions for some better quality pads.
Hmm, I have only used Decathlon ones for replacement on my bike. I remember reading good reviews of 'Kool Stop' on another forum (bikeszone) long back. It is available on the BOTS website. Perhaps other folks have some suggestions based on experience.

Last edited by itisravi : 23rd June 2021 at 16:20. Reason: typo
itisravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:18   #5824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I have cleaned the pads by light filing just to get rid of the top layer. The rims I clean regularly with damp cloth, but even so the brakes just lack stopping power. Was looking for suggestions for some better quality pads.
You will be surprised at what a difference proper alignment of brake shoes (not pads ... those are what are there in disc brakes) make to braking efficiency. Toe-in really works. And once its set-up properly, the brake shoes need to seat into the new contact angle. Filing of brake shoes is a really bad idea because you are essentially changing the contact patch (angle) to what its already bedded in with.

When brake shoes become old and hard/glazed, what sometimes works is soaking them in water. That sometimes gets them supple again and removes the ugly sounds after they are clean and dry. Cleaning the brake track with alcohol is also a good suggestion (removes a lot of the contaminants normal soap and water cannot). Ultimately however, if your rim is old or misaligned brakes have spoilt the brake track or dents/bends/kinks have spoilt the braking surface, its very difficult to get rid of the sound sometimes.

If all of this does not work, then go ahead and change the shoes. The ones available at Decathlon in the same size. Or Alligator or Jagwire or Tektro. I've been using Jagwire on my ACT. Shimano are way too expensive (unnecessary in my opinion).

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:29   #5825
Distinguished - BHPian

Hah. Almost an advert for Decathlon, but useful info for absolute noobs like me.

Old 23rd June 2021, 19:19   #5826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hah. Almost an advert for Decathlon, but useful info for absolute noobs like me.
This guy jumps directly into Road Bikes...

So might not be the best video for beginners, as he does not talk about MTB's and Hybrids.

In my opinion a Hybrid would be the most ideal choice for a beginner.

The biggest mistake most beginners make is they walk into a bike shop , and the salesperson there convinces them to buy an MTB.
Which apparently the shop might have stocked up on.
Whereas 80% of the riding that these people would do will be on City roads.

That said since I replied to this post am putting down some basic stuff that would help future beginners.
(This content is obvious for most folks on this forum, but there are still many who are just taking a plunge into cycling )

When shopping for a bike, be aware of these options / components.
They are listed in order of quality , so the better bike would have better components.

Wheel
  • Mechanical nuts
  • Quick release - with the turn of a lever you can take out the wheel (useful when you want to load your bike on a car and take it somewhere)

Brakes
  • V brakes - The normal old model cycle type caliper brakes you have seen on cycles.
  • Mechanical Disc brake
  • Hydraulic Disc brake

Body
  • Steel Frame - Heavier in comparison
  • Alloy Frame - Lighter than steel
  • Carbon - Better than Alloy but expensive

Front suspensions
  • No Suspension - Rigid fork (has its pros and cons)
  • Suspension without a lockout
  • Suspension with a lock out - The suspension has a control where you can turn it off or set a pressure level

Gears / Derailleur
Can come with only Rear derailleurs
Can come with Rear + Front derailleurs

The most common companies that supply gears are Microshift and Shimano
In Shimano which is more common this is the hierarchy of their gear series (common ones)
  • Tourney - Entry level
  • Altus / Alivio
  • Acera
  • Deore
  • Xtr

The higher you go the smoother will be the shifting and performance.
A bike with an Altus / Acera will anyday be much better to ride than one with a Tourney derailleur
You will be using the rear gear more often than the front.

So if you are deciding between 2 bikes one with Tourney and one with Altus you know which one is going to be better when riding (from a gearing perspective).

Tyre width
The slimmer the tyre the bike will go faster and will be easier to pedal
But the grip and ride comfort will be more on a wider tyre.
So if you opt for an MTB with thicker tyres, they will be good on rough roads, but will need more effort to propel on a tar road when compared to a Hybrid or a Road bike.

So once you are aware of all these concepts you will be in a much better position to decide on your first bike, vs going with what the store person suggests.
Fillmore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 19:32   #5827
Distinguished - BHPian

Just fooling around with the new toy lol

The Bicycles thread-pxl_20210623_131747765.portrait0201.jpeg
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 19:40   #5828
BHPian

Quote:
Just fooling around with the new toy lol
Who setup the bike? Why are the hoods pointing to the sky? Last I remember you were looking for a hybrid. How come you ended up buying a roadie?
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 19:45   #5829
BHPian

I tried reading through the thread, but did not find anything. Has anyone tried the new Bad Attitude series from Firefox? I am buying a cycle for my son who is 5 ft 2 inch tall, but has just learnt to cycle and the goal is to buy something basic. The Decathlon cycles all weren't comfortable for him when we tried them out this week, so looking for other options.

I haven't bought a cycle for many decades now and the options are staggering... Happy to take any recommendations.
Old 23rd June 2021, 19:51   #5830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Who setup the bike? Why are the hoods pointing to the sky? Last I remember you were looking for a hybrid. How come you ended up buying a roadie?
Looks like I got caught. I was just fooling around with the bike fit for myself to make it a little comfy. I bought the roadie, but I plan to max the tyres up for comfort when I get access to them.

Should I go back to leveling the handle bars? I found the seat also a bit too rear ward. Will probably want to move that forward so I get closer to the bars a bit.
Old 23rd June 2021, 21:15   #5831
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was just fooling around with the bike fit for myself to make it a little comfy. I bought the roadie, but I plan to max the tyres up for comfort when I get access to them.
My suggestion is find out who’s a great guy at doing bike fits in Bangalore and do a proper fitting session with a fitter. Setting up the bike with the right fit is quite important while riding a road bike.

25c tyres should be a good option. Please do consider those.
Old 23rd June 2021, 21:17   #5832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like I got caught. I was just fooling around with the bike fit for myself to make it a little comfy. I bought the roadie, but I plan to max the tyres up for comfort when I get access to them.

Should I go back to leveling the handle bars? I found the seat also a bit too rear ward. Will probably want to move that forward so I get closer to the bars a bit.
No need to panic but at a L the frame is a size too large for you.

As a comparison, I am 180 cm and I need a M in this Triban frame.

This is from the French website ... passed on by a friend working in Decathlon.

The Bicycles thread-img20210126wa0016.jpg

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd June 2021 at 21:32.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 21:23   #5833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Cheers, Doc
I tried the medium at the store and it felt way too small for me. It was the rc120 medium that i tried. It felt physically cramped.

The Bicycles thread-pxl_20210621_054125205.mp.jpg

I then tried a large rc100 and it felt quite good. I went to two Decathlon stores and both looked at me, sized me up and said large without batting an eye.

The Bicycles thread-pxl_20210621_054220502.mp.jpg

Last edited by Red Liner : 23rd June 2021 at 21:29.
Old 23rd June 2021, 21:35   #5834
BHPian

Quote:

Should I go back to leveling the handle bars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Cheers, Doc
Your wrists should be in comfortable position while riding on hoods. That is possible when they are parallel to the ground.

Is size L your size as per manufacturer recommendation? If yes then minor adjustments would be required to set up the bike. Or as Doc suggested, if it is a size too large and you are not comfortable with the reach, then you might have to go with a shorter stem. But first ride the bike for few days to understand where you find it uncomfortable.
Old 23rd June 2021, 21:36   #5835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried the medium at the store and it felt way too small for me. It was the rc120 medium that i tried. It felt physically cramped.

Attachment 2170205

I then tried a large rc100 and it felt quite good. I went to two Decathlon stores and both looked at me, sized me up and said large without batting an eye.

Attachment 2170204
Check the French sizing chart I added above.

You're definitely not an L.

And you don't hold the handle like you are while trying to figure out fit.

That position is the most upright and one only employed when very tired, or climbing.

It's also a good 5-7 cm short of the hoods which is the usual default position.

The drops will be even further away.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks