Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:41   #5806
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Ordered yesterday and she's here today. My baby blue lynx. The KTM is my Snow leopard

Story of how i got hold of the bike is crazy and best left over a few chilled ones when we all get to meet sometime.
Lovely color. Congratulations. And yes, I'll take up that offer

The list of accessories I have (I use the ones below on most rides)
- cycling shorts (D.) - don't go for the cheap ones
- cycling jersey
- cycle helmet (Amazon)
- cycling gloves (Decathalon/D.)
- water bottles (D.)
- cyclocomputer
- puncture resistant tires (replaced default Kenda tires within first week)
- front & rear lights (multiple options available online)
- cycle stand (D.)

Additional / Optional accessories
- puncture kit
- underseat cycle bag (D.) - multiple options available; choose what you like
- mudguards (D.) - the SKS ones are much better to be honest
- extra tubes
- cycling multi-tool
- chain lube
- grease (for joints)
- cycling glasses (least used till date)
- chain cleaning kit (never used it after purchase)
- foot pump & hand pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

And never buy anything till at least 1000 km on the bike, which will help you figure out what you actually need/want versus what your internet research drives you to believe what you need/want.

Of course some basics are a must. Those have been outlined with prices in an earlier post.

But I personally would not be caught dead with a side-stand or mudguards on my bikes. To me, they get lumped into the same category as the ghanti or the memory foam seat covers.

And in the end remember. Every single thing you add to the bike comes with a weight penalty.
+1 to this.

Edit: I'll vote YES for the mudguards. Especially if you are someone like me who likes to ride during the rains, or after a fresh shower of rains. They make a huge difference on such rides. But as @Doc said, ride the bike the way you prefer it for a while and then go for the accessories.

To me the kickstand is a very useful utility depending on how you ride. If you are the one who does a non-stop fast paced pt A to pt B rides, then it doesn't make sense. For me, I ride to enjoy the surroundings. Waterfalls, scenic points, with multiple stops - you get the drift. It's a huge convenience - something I'd be happy to take the additional 100 gms weight. It's not as if my hybrid is a lean machine lol.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 22nd June 2021 at 18:01.
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:47   #5807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
Kickstand is a matter of convenience winning over looks for me. It is very useful when taking pics of the bike on tour. I hate to see pics of bike lying down.
I agree. Touring with panniers like you do, I can understand the utility. Even then, I would trust a wall or fence or rock when available, over the spindly side stand, especially on a fully loaded bike.

The only place I can think of where you might have to lay your bike down is on an open plateau or table-top with no rocks or trees around. Just a big grassy meadow. In my riding experience, that's the only time I have laid my bike down (on the non drive side of course).

I prefer repairing punctures, with the bike upside down. Except in the case of my ACT which does not have a quick release for the rear wheel, so i lay the bike on the side and take out the tube to repair it puncture walla style.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 18:14   #5808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
About 8000. Have put approximate prices alongside each. Add a decent jersey with back pockets as well. 1000 -1500.

It's very easy to convert a biker into a cyclist in terms of cost of the sport.

No matter how high end you go, you can never come close to what you spend on motorcycling.

Cheers, Doc
Quote:
Dear Redliner,

Along with cycle pricing include approximately 15k for accessories in your budget
1. Bib Shorts 1500
2. quality helmet 2000
3. Safety Lights 500 (tail only, if riding in the day)
4. Portable Pump 500
5. Floor Pump with Gauge 2000
6. Multitool AllenKey set 250
7. Chain Lube (Wet and Dry : Wet for monsoon ) 400
8. Fenders (mostly for monsoon) 200 (ass saver)
9. Water Bottle and Cage 500

Hope this helps
I will focus on and get most of these off Decathlon. Thanks again. Some of these things should really be made a sticky at the front of this thread.

For now, helmet as i see and find something good, portable pump + puncture kit, multitool Allen key, chain lube, and waterbottle cage. I will also get the panniers, so i start using the bike to go for errands and carry things instead of a stupid backpack.
Old 22nd June 2021, 18:21   #5809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will focus on and get most of these off Decathlon. Thanks again. Some of these things should really be made a sticky at the front of this thread.

For now, helmet as i see and find something good, portable pump + puncture kit, multitool Allen key, chain lube, and waterbottle cage. I will also get the panniers, so i start using the bike to go for errands and carry things instead of a stupid backpack.
Make sure you buy an in-mould EPS helmet. They are much stronger and safer.

Along with a bottle cage, you need to get a dedicated sipper as well. 500-600 bucks you can get both.

A portable pump is only for emergencies on the road. You cannot do without a proper floor pump with a gauge.

For errands and such, a small 10-20 liter decathlon bag is best. Remember a pannier is permanent. You will be carrying it along even when not riding to pick things up.

Control the urge to decorate your bike ...

You are the engine.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 19:16   #5810
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I need to get the bike fit done professionally. Where I picked up the bike, he just adjusted the seat height and asked me to bugger off lol.

I could do this at home myself, but need another person or two to hold the bike with me up. Else it’s such a long ride to a good decathlon store.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 19:34   #5811
BHPian

Quote:
Mudguards, unless full cover (which uglify the bike beyond tolerable limits) do more harm than good

Cheers, Doc
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations on the new bike. Nice color!

Kick stand and the bottle cage I understand, but why you need to add mudguards? It’ll spoil the overall look of the bike IMO.

am using full cover mudguards from sks against the popular opinion here

I have to throwaway one jersey due to black muck ( I think mix of grease + oil etc ) and this happened in Hinjewadi stretch and Spine road in Pune during monsoon rides . Tried to wash even with hands but with no avail.

I love riding in rains and always give a wash to the bike after the ride

Kindly suggest a cadence meter , am eyeing for bontrager one ( which is not available in the market and have to wait 5 months ) but cateye is available
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 21:37   #5812
BHPian

Quote:
Hokay!
Attachment 2169706

Ordered yesterday and she's here today. My baby blue lynx. The KTM is my Snow leopard

Story of how i got hold of the bike is crazy and best left over a few chilled ones when we all get to meet sometime. Rode the bike back from the store and figured I should have got a bottle holder atleast lol.

I want to add an additional front brake at the top of the bar, i am unable to crouch and ride for more than a few minutes. I will practice slowly. What parts should i get? Will look at Youtube as well.

I also need a good kickstand and those mudguards. I plan to install tubeless 34/36/40 whatever as soon as i can find some. What brands should i look at and what are they priced at if at all available? I have zero knowledge on the local market. I see availability is zero at the moment. I will slowly put more questions out over the course of the week as i ride the bike around my block. Today was just about figuring how the gearing worked

Man, i have forgotten how tiring cycling is! Or i am just not yet used to the cardio. Good thing, time to get that heart rate going.

Guess i need a helmet and some other knickknacks over the week. Damn...i started at 35k, logged in here and now.

Absolutely appreciate everyone being so patient with me and answering everything so lucidly. Thank you all for your time.
Congratulations on the bike bud. Joining you in the Blue crew in a few days time. Can't wait to pick mine up
AnniHilat0R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 06:42   #5813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi guys. I find my OE brakes on my RC 120 are pathetic and therefore dangerous at times. Thinking to change brake pads for better bite. Any suggestions please and where to source them from. Thanks Attachment 2169695
Pic of my setup.
From the image, the brake pads look like they have plenty of life left in them.You can clean the braking surface of the rims with some isopropyl alcohol, clean and remove any debris from the brake pads themselves and do a toe-in to improve the braking:
itisravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:00   #5814
Senior - BHPian

Careful ordering anything from Cyclop. Stuff is shipped with accessories missing. In case the order is not fulfilled, you get store credit not refund - Was reading some complaints
Quote:
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:02   #5815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Nice tip for the quick release Ravi. Have you tried it this way (rotating half turn into desired position when close)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Careful ordering anything from Cyclop. Stuff is shipped with accessories missing. In case the order is not fulfilled, you get store credit not refund - Was reading some complaints
I think all 3 stores, bumsonthesaddle, choosemybicycle, and cyclop act as aggregators

Which is, they don't actually have a physical store or warehouse of their own where all the stuff gets sent out from, but most of their listings are of other primary sellers.

This was told to me by someone who owns a premium bike store in Poona and knows the insides of the business.

I'm not too sure of wizbiker.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd June 2021 at 09:25.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:30   #5816
BHPian

Quote:
Nice tip for the quick release Ravi. Have you tried it this way (rotating half turn into desired position when close)?
Nope doc. I just align the skewers in the direction I prefer (upwards and parallel to the fork on the front and inwards and parallel to the chain stay on the rear) and keep opening and closing it by adjusting the knob on the other side until it feels right. I must try this half turn method sometime.
itisravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:42   #5817
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not too sure of wizbiker.
I have ordered from them, once: a Polar bottle. Received it without any trouble.

This guy right here: https://www.wizbiker.com/polar-break...nsulated-710ml

I believe this is an online site for a bicycle store based in Delhi, although I don't remember which one.
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:46   #5818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Make sure you buy an in-mould EPS helmet. They are much stronger and safer.
I want to take this discussion step by step so I don't get overwhelmed.

This is the cheapest in mould EPS helmet I could find on Decathlon.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8500015/c...8500015&type=p

Is there any other I should see from the "imported" segment for the same price? The information online and the stuff "available" is just insane.
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:59   #5819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to take this discussion step by step so I don't get overwhelmed.

This is the cheapest in mould EPS helmet I could find on Decathlon.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8500015/c...8500015&type=p

Is there any other I should see from the "imported" segment for the same price? The information online and the stuff "available" is just insane.
Yup this is the one.

You will get some imports like Bell, Merida, MET, Lazer, etc. in the 2-3k range if discounted properly. Non-MIPS of course. The MIPS ones start from 4.5-5K for the cheapest discounted.

But this one is great, if you can live with the color (SE Asian Decathlons offer the same one in a much nicer white colour that does not make you look like a moving traffic cone).

The more expensive and better color combo black and neon one (2,999), the shell is too shallow and "pointy" for my big head ... basically it makes me look like a dork. LOL

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd June 2021 at 12:04.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:56   #5820
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
You will get some imports like Bell, Merida, MET, Lazer, etc. in the 2-3k range if discounted properly. Non-MIPS of course. The MIPS ones start from 4.5-5K for the cheapest discounted.
I got a MET helmet - in black/red metallic, quite a comfortable helmet.
https://www.met-helmets.com/en/shop/...helmets/idolo/

And my wife have a Limar one. Not sure if these are available in India.
https://limar.com/shop/cycling-en/urbe-2019/?lang=en
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks