Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2021, 22:13   #5761
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

The local store guy said he can give a Fuji Spotif 2.1 with a frame size of 61 and that Trek cycles with frame size 61 are not available in India. The Fuji one is available in August and will cost Rs 99,900. It has a rim brake compared to mechanical disc brakes for Trek Domane Al-2 Disc (costs Rs 78,000) and 30c tyres instead of 32c for the Trek. The Fuji one has a 9-speed cassette (11-34) compared to an 8-speed (11-32) one for Trek.

I'm wondering whether to wait for someone to get a Trek bike for me from abroad or go for the Fuji. Pls suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi Riders,

I am looking to upgrade to a road bike. Have been using Giant Escape hybrid for 4 years now.

I had zeroed in on Trek Domane AL3 after some research and cost-benefit analysis. But it is not available as Doc said. I am ok with any other option, but the biggest hurdle is the frame size. I'm 192 cm tall and most bikes including Trivan 500 mentioned here has L as the largest size.

Any leads on where to look will be helpful.

Cheers and Happy monsoon riding

Vindy
Old 17th June 2021, 22:22   #5762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The local store guy said he can give a Fuji Spotif 2.1 with a frame size of 61 and that Trek cycles with frame size 61 are not available in India. The Fuji one is available in August and will cost Rs 99,900. It has a rim brake compared to mechanical disc brakes for Trek Domane Al-2 Disc (costs Rs 78,000) and 30c tyres instead of 32c for the Trek. The Fuji one has a 9-speed cassette (11-34) compared to an 8-speed (11-32) one for Trek.

I'm wondering whether to wait for someone to get a Trek bike for me from abroad or go for the Fuji. Pls suggest
Have you even tried either of the bike to see if the frame and build is suiting you? I'd be relatively easy on that aspect for a hybrid or maybe even an MTB but road bikes need to be tried - if not outdoor, then atleast on an indoor setup (for bike-fit check) to see if one is comfortable with the cycle.

Both are great bikes - the Sportif is usually considered a VFM option overseas as one gets discounts for Fuji bikes through specific stores (e.g. REI) but Domane is a popular offering on a general basis. But all that is after you do a bike-fit. Especially when you are planning to plonk 1L on it.

Edit: No idea if the prices are correct - these are definitely not the times when we can expect proper pricing.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 17th June 2021 at 22:33.
Old 17th June 2021, 22:24   #5763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Normally I would say Sportif is too basic (... their Roubaix is an equivalent bike) compared to Domane. But with your size considerations fit and frame size trump's all else.

Ridley (and Bianchi) also sell frames in your size. 59 for sure.

Few others do.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 17th June 2021 at 22:27.
Old 17th June 2021, 22:42   #5764
BHPian

Thank you. Trying out is not an option, unfortunately. The frame size of 61 is not available readily, so I have to necessarily pay and book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Have you even tried either of the bike to see if the frame and build is suiting you? I'd be relatively easy on that aspect for a hybrid or maybe even an MTB but road bikes need to be tried - if not outdoor, then atleast on an indoor setup (for bike-fit check) to see if one is comfortable with the cycle.
Thank you. Will check the others you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Normally I would say Sportif is too basic (... their Roubaix is an equivalent bike) compared to Domane. But with your size considerations fit and frame size trump's all else.
Old 17th June 2021, 23:23   #5765
BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest you keep an eye out for Scott. Follow them on their instagram as they post about stock drops. My local shop which sells Scott told me that they are anticipating Speedster stock to drop in a few weeks time. You definitely will get a 57 size in Scott / Bergamont.

Also just a personal and beginners opinion, Trek / Scott since they are officially present in the country unlike Fuji via a dealer, the bike prices are on par with global pricing. Fuji being pure dealer imports have a higher price point.
AnniHilat0R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 10:19   #5766
BHPian

I need to replace the tyres on my Firefox Rapide hybrid. I have been looking for a while now but tyres seem to like in short supply everywhere! It amazes me that even Indian tyres like Ralson are not available anywhere.

I have tried Decathlon, Amazon, Flipkart, Cyclops, Bums on the saddle, etc. I sometimes see something like Michelin available but I don't want to spend as much car tyres for my bicycle.

If this continues much longer, I will probably have to stop cycling as I don't trust the tyres to last much longer as they are already quite cracked.

I would appreciate any help in locating decent tyres in 700x35C size.

Thanks!

Last edited by Motard_Blr : 18th June 2021 at 10:20.
Old 18th June 2021, 18:50   #5767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is absolutely insane. Check the bike out. I think you can happily live with it. Very capable tourer. Endurance frame. 2x8 Microshift brifters work a charm. Under 11 kilos. In 40k.

It's what makes me a BTwin fanboi.

Cheers, Doc

SOLD!
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 20:24   #5768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Yes this is an old video but it's not the 120 sold in India. The Indian one has a 2x8 Microshift drivetrain and caliper rim brakes.

Did you buy the bike? What "sold" you if not yet? Please elaborate.

Cheers, Doc
Old 18th June 2021, 20:31   #5769
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In a rigid fork, a carbon bladed one is best to soften out road buzz. That means the vibration you get in your hands. Don't have visions of magic soft cloud carpets. Next best is good old steel. The worst and harshest is an alloy fork. Due to the nature of the material. Also slightly curved blades have a bit more give and smoothen put the ride more, while straighter ones make for a lot sharper and snappier handling.
So this was playing in my mind from day before yesterday. Though the FX2 is a great bike, I was not happy with the handlebar grips and the vibrations coming through. Then I thought it’s the settling in period of moving from the magic carpet ride of the Scott Sub Cross 50. Yesterday during the evening ride dropped by the Trek showroom to get a pair of bike lights (Knog Plus – these little numbers are pretty good), and I asked the friendly sales guy if I can try a FX3; promptly brought out one in L size, and that was a revelation – the road buzz and vibrations were so muted. It’s not plush, but somehow the whole vibrations passing thru the handlebar was gone. Tried the same short path on my bike to reconfirm and it was real. Not sure if it’s the better handlebar, grips, and the carbon fork, or a mix of everything. Anyway, last night put in an advt. for the FX2 sale, someone picked it up this afternoon for the exact same showroom price (inclusive of the cost of kickstand, bottle cage etc.). Before closing the deal, called Trek to confirm if they have a FX3 in size XL available and they had one in stock. Blocked that immediately and picked up in the evening.

It’s the same matte black color, visually same as the FX2 (in the 3 Trek is written in gloss black instead of white/silver). The 12km ride back home was nice, and I felt the same connection I got with the earlier Scott. And I really liked the 2x7 shifters on this one.

In a week’s time SGD 300 poorer with a new bike

The Bicycles thread-img_8947.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 20:34   #5770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes this is an old video but it's not the 120 sold in India. The Indian one has a 2x8 Microshift drivetrain and caliper rim brakes.

Did you buy the bike? What "sold" you if not yet? Please elaborate.

Cheers, Doc
How can i buy a bike thats not in stock anywhere in the country?

But the more important bit was to be sold mentally.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 20:35   #5771
BHPian

I started cycling post covid and my heart rates are easily reaching 160 - 174 BPM even for moderate speeds ( average = 18km/hr) and getting tired faster for 10km with small inclines. Is this safe or do I have to reduce the speed and take it slow ?

This is 7th week after discharging from hospital
Pre covid I was doing 30kms per day with an average of 22 - 25km/hr easily not breaking much sweat
The covid attack was a bit serious with lungs damage of more than 85% and was hospitalised for 2 weeks with o2 requirement of 14L/m

Last edited by greyhound82 : 18th June 2021 at 20:36.
greyhound82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 20:42   #5772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Anyway, last night put in an advt. for the FX2 sale, someone picked it up this afternoon for the exact same showroom price (inclusive of the cost of kickstand, bottle cage etc.). Before closing the deal, called Trek to confirm if they have a FX3 in size XL available and they had one in stock. Blocked that immediately and picked up in the evening.
Lovely bike! I'm really amazed at how easily and quickly you manage to sell and buy new bikes.

"Plush" is a very relative term. When you're buying a hybrid, you have already made a unconscious choice to be faster and more sporty than on an MTB. Over longer distances it's not the knocks but the constant buzz that kills (fatigues) you.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 21:17   #5773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
I started cycling post covid and my heart rates are easily reaching 160 - 174 BPM even for moderate speeds ( average = 18km/hr) and getting tired faster for 10km with small inclines. Is this safe or do I have to reduce the speed and take it slow ?

Pre covid I was doing 30kms per day with an average of 22 - 25km/hr easily not breaking much sweat
The covid attack was a bit serious with lungs damage of more than 85% and was hospitalised for 2 weeks with o2 requirement of 14L/m
PLEASE take it very easy and very slow. That was a bad attack.

Take short walks instead. Easy pace. Keep track of your HR and stick to Zone 2. Check your O2 after the walk (and before for a baseline).

The Bicycles thread-img20210612wa0024.jpg

Give your body ample time to recover. Your heart and lungs will heal. Just takes time.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 21:47   #5774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post

Please be very very careful with the physical stress you are taking. I have mentioned in another post of mine in "The Coronavirus Thread" that a friend and cousin of mine have been asked by the doctor for complete 3 months rest. They have been asked to just do walking and that too no brisk walking for the next 3 months. Their CT score was 14 and 16 respectively. Would request you to be very cautious as you might end up permanently damaging your lungs. Lungs recovery is usually a very very slow process and one needs take it very seriously.
sunbaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 09:14   #5775
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lovely bike! I'm really amazed at how easily and quickly you manage to sell and buy new bikes.
Thank you! I really liked that understated elegance.

Here (due to the pandemic) bike sales are on an all-time high, and most of the models from major brands have waiting period (especially with Trek, Giant, and Specialized). Maybe the size I picked (XL) was not as fast moving as S, M, L frames and hence I managed to get one immediately. Even that was the last piece available in the showroom yesterday. But I was surprised with the fact that someone offered the exact amount I paid for the FX2 (including the accessories).

Quote:
"Plush" is a very relative term. When you're buying a hybrid, you have already made an unconscious choice to be faster and sportier than on an MTB. Over longer distances it's not the knocks but the constant buzz that kills (fatigues) you.
Absolutely. Not comparing with an MTB, and off-roading is not my thing. In fact I tried the Dual Sport 3 just to get a feel, and immediately reconfirmed the fact the bikes with heavy front suspension is not my scene.

On the plushness – the I would say the difference is felt on smooth surfaces. On a rough patch the FX2 and FX3 felt pretty much the same, but on tracks with nice tarmac, the difference was like day and night. Extremely calm and composed, no vibrations passing via the handlebar, and no road buzz. Did a 60 kms+ ride this morning and the fatigue level was much less compared to say a 30km ride on the FX2 (on the same route).

Morning ride - halfway mark...
The Bicycles thread-img_8958.jpg

Coffee break!
The Bicycles thread-img_8964.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_8965.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks