Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2021, 11:58   #6511
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 5,487
Thanked: 7,115 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Hey Thanks for the comments about the Mist.

Did you start following me today? I too have sent you a follow request.
Yup. I got your request and you are following me too now.

These little mittie gritties are so critical. Deal breakers in fact.

I was just thinking "oh ok, I'll lace decent 700c rims to them and spend a bit more" when I read your point about the long reach levers (622 to 630 means about 4 mm more).

Quite a bit more considering two rims, two complete spoke sets, one rear cassette type hub (assuming cold stretch of the chainstays to accomodate) and the wheels building cost.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 20th September 2021 at 12:04.
ebonho is online now  
Old 20th September 2021, 12:00   #6512
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,452
Thanked: 10,665 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
OT: How is the noise cancellation of the microphone on these? Looking for something for office calls in noisy backgrounds.
Its par for the price you pay. High pitch noises will not get cut out. Things like the fan, people in the next room etc will get cut off.

I find it alright. I wanted noise cancelation primarily so I don't have to jack up the volume as much and hurt my ears.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 15:28   #6513
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 5,487
Thanked: 7,115 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Though, you will find it difficult to change to 700c wheels which are slightly smaller. The 27 inch wheels already require long reach callipers.
This guy has fit 700c rims on his Hero Hawk with black pressed steel local looking long reach calipers.



Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 14:02   #6514
BHPian
 
prabuddhadg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 805
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
This guy has fit 700c rims on his Hero Hawk with black pressed steel local looking long reach calipers...
Cheers, Doc
That brought back a few memories. Of course, I never bothered with the paint on my bicycles, but I did experiment with 60 tooth chain rings. haha. And man! was that tough.

Handling used to quite neutral and became sluggish only when I added a 12 cm quill stem.

I had also added toe clips and straps and a leather saddle.

Apart from that, I remember the brakes were nowhere close to what my bicycles now have. The Mist, which you have seen photos of, runs very long reach callipers that accommodate 28 mm tires with mudguards. Yet, braking is top notch. I can not say the same for the Mach or the Hawk that I used to ride.

At this price, it really is worth a shot, experimenting with the Hero Hawk to see if the callipers reach the 700c rims. If not, you can always let it go.
prabuddhadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 14:04   #6515
BHPian
 
prabuddhadg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 805
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
That brought back a few memories. Of course, I never bothered with the paint on my bicycles,...
By the way, Tektro R559 callipers are upto 73mm in reach. I am using these on the Mist, and on another bicycle.
prabuddhadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 14:50   #6516
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 5,487
Thanked: 7,115 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
At this price, it really is worth a shot, experimenting with the Hero Hawk to see if the callipers reach the 700c rims. If not, you can always let it go.
I'm leaning towards buying a more modern steel frame with more modern bits like bottom bracket shell and BB, steerer tube and stem and handlebar, seat post, and wheels and brakes. The wheels on the Hawk are a major deal breaker for me for building a touring bike off of a donor frame.

Racing it on tarmac or having it as a single speed fixie exotic is a different thing. Most examples I know are either one or the other. There is a sardarji who bought one to do an India tour on but quickly dumped it after one Punjab ride and bought a Rockrider ST 30 instead for his tour to Leh and beyond. Nice videos.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now  
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:21   #6517
BHPian
 
prabuddhadg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 805
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I'm leaning towards buying a more modern steel frame with more modern bits like bottom bracket shell and BB, steerer tube and stem and handlebar, seat post, and wheels and brakes. The wheels on the Hawk are a major deal breaker for me for building a touring bike off of a donor frame.

Racing it on tarmac or having it as a single speed fixie exotic is a different thing. Most examples I know are either one or the other. There is a sardarji who bought one to do an India tour on but quickly dumped it after one Punjab ride and bought a Rockrider ST 30 instead for his tour to Leh and beyond. Nice videos.

Cheers, Doc
Having ridden both mild steel Mach and Hawk and Columbus Spirit bikes of the present day, I have to say that the modern steel is immensely superior not just to mild steel but even to the 80's Columbus steel.

If you get a bike that fits you properly, it will take your riding experience up a notch. If the bike is a modern steel frame, that will add a few notches further.
prabuddhadg is offline  
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:27   #6518
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 5,487
Thanked: 7,115 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Having ridden both mild steel Mach and Hawk and Columbus Spirit bikes of the present day, I have to say that the modern steel is immensely superior not just to mild steel but even to the 80's Columbus steel.

If you get a bike that fits you properly, it will take your riding experience up a notch. If the bike is a modern steel frame, that will add a few notches further.
How much would a modern steel frame with wheels and saddle and drop bar cost at the lowest end of the spectrum, say with basic sturdy 36 or 32 hole wheels, rim brakes?

I will pit that against the price of picking up a donor Triban RC100 (preferably used if and when I can find me a Large) of the newer lots with rear wheel quick release and freehub body.

I'm neither a purist nor a collector. Steel is just a frame material for me. Period. Columbus etc. means nothing to me. Everything is around durability and reliability, at the lowest weight possible.

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd September 2021 at 10:37.
ebonho is online now  
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:40   #6519
BHPian
 
prabuddhadg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 805
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
How much would a modern steel frame with wheels and saddle and drop bar cost at the lowest end of the spectrum, say with basic sturdy 36 or 32 hole wheels, rim brakes?

I will pit that against the price of picking up a donor Triban RC100 (preferably used if and when I can find me a Large) of the newer lots with rear wheel quick release and freehub body.

I'm neither a purist nor a collector. Steel is just a frame material for me. Period. Columbus etc. means nothing to me. Everything is around durability and reliability, at the lowest weight possible.
Depending on the quality of steel the frame price could vary from 15k (I guess) to over a lac.

My legs are not strong enough to flex carbon. So, to me carbon feels kind of dead. I prefer the springy feel of good steel. This feeling I get from narrow steel tubes much more than from oversized steel tubes. That to me, is the perfect frame.

With butted steel you would get more of the springy feel. I get it more from the Autumn than from the Mist.
prabuddhadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:31   #6520
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 5,487
Thanked: 7,115 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
This feeling I get from narrow steel tubes much more than from oversized steel tubes. That to me, is the perfect frame.

With butted steel you would get more of the springy feel. I get it more from the Autumn than from the Mist.
Any mass produced Indian steel frame bike/s being still made currently which we could look at? Maybe not butted. Nor the classic narrow tubing either. But within reasonable weight? Better still in drop bar form?

Always better to start with a new bike if possible. Less hassle of looking around and waiting.

There used to be a beautiful steel Raleigh Clubman featured on Choosemybicycle. I wonder if there are still brand new unsold pieces lying around in some shop out there ...

Fomas is another one not heard of anymore. Used to be sold out of a store in Bombay as I recall.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd September 2021 at 14:51.
ebonho is online now  
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:27   #6521
BHPian
 
prabuddhadg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 805
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Indian frames do not use Chrome moly steel. They use mild steel which makes the bike a lot heavier and not as nimble. In addition, the fork ends and rear dropouts are simply pressed and not cast. That sometimes leads to errors in alignment. I had to get my Mach 1 fork replaced by BSA because the fork legs were not parallel.

It is because of small issues over the years that I have moved away from Indian frames and components. The Hero Thunder MTB frame I am still riding, is nice, though it does pull to the right. I have to lean to the left to be able to ride no handed. One of these days I shall take the bicycle apart and check the frame alignment.

Actually, if you ask me, the Hero Thunder, either the MTB or the road bike, would be much better suited for these upgrades than a Hawk or a Mach 1. The other day, I saw a car washing guy riding an old Hero Thunder MTB and I almost stopped to ask him if he would sell the bicycle.
prabuddhadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:29   #6522
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 5,487
Thanked: 7,115 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Actually, if you ask me, the Hero Thunder, either the MTB or the road bike, would be much better suited for these upgrades than a Hawk or a Mach 1. The other day, I saw a car washing guy riding an old Hero Thunder MTB and I almost stopped to ask him if he would sell the bicycle.
I don't know if I've mentioned this before but the Thunder (the drop bar version) when I rode it last was too cramped for me and I never gelled with the bike. And I was really surprised to hear that Eric who is a tall bloke found it okay.

If I have to go that route, I have a much more modern frame in the ACT already with me, one that fits me like an old shoe.

I wanted something in steel, but alloy is okay too, considering the Triban RC100 is a top choice for this build with all the parts already there.

I keep seeing thse old 90s MTBs, the Ranger, and can't help wondering if those frames would/could be made to fit.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now  
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:40   #6523
BHPian
 
chethan.ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 276
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Indian frames do not use Chrome moly steel. They use mild steel which makes the bike a lot heavier and not as nimble. In addition, the fork ends and rear dropouts are simply pressed and not cast. That sometimes leads to errors in alignment. I had to get my Mach 1 fork replaced by BSA because the fork legs were not parallel.

It is because of small issues over the years that I have moved away from Indian frames and components. The Hero Thunder MTB frame I am still riding, is nice, though it does pull to the right. I have to lean to the left to be able to ride no handed. One of these days I shall take the bicycle apart and check the frame alignment.

Actually, if you ask me, the Hero Thunder, either the MTB or the road bike, would be much better suited for these upgrades than a Hawk or a Mach 1. The other day, I saw a car washing guy riding an old Hero Thunder MTB and I almost stopped to ask him if he would sell the bicycle.

Talking about steel, I love my custom Steel frame which is a handcrafted. This is how it looks. Its about 5 years old when this picture was taken and I have clocked about 35000 kms. And it rides very smooth.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-117328730_4827604303920119_4579832889358445129_n.jpg  

chethan.ram is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:51   #6524
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 5,487
Thanked: 7,115 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Chinese made steel road bike, in both 14 speed (2 ring) and 21 speed (3 ring) versions. Rudimentary Tourney drivetrain. 3 speed what looks like a screw-on type freewheel at the back. Tourney rear derailleur. Thumb or rocker type shifters on the quill stem (the 14 speed version seems to have a proper threadless steerer tube and stem and ). Caliper rim brakes. Nice Specialized Comp ripoff saddle. Claimed weight is 26.9 pounds (that's just a shade over 12 kilos). I love the look of the silver one. External cables, though the light blue one with the dropped seatstays has internal cabling and a threadless stem, though a 3 ring crank.

The Bicycles thread-61pnwek9qbl._ac_sl1200_.jpg

The Bicycles thread-61tbwy5xvwl._sl1200_.jpg

The Bicycles thread-61usgtg0cdl._sl1200_.jpg

The Bicycles thread-71waaqqkqil.jpg

The Bicycles thread-711hbgrbdms._ac_sl1500_-1.jpg

The Bicycles thread-large_bike_1.jpg

Does anyone have any leads on these? Listings on Amazon.in, Amazon, Ubuy.in, desertcart, indiamart and ali express.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:52   #6525
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 868
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Flipkart

Take a look at this RALSON 700 * 25c Tyre For City Bike Tyre with Side Grooves for Stable Cornering for on Flipkart

He says, after running them in some, and I quote -

" Comfort mast, rolling is good. Grip is awesome. Tough tyres. Much more than expected. "
After scouting for branded tires like Conti / Schwalbe / Vittoria without luck, I too got my front tyre replaced with Ralson 700x25c. My usual shop had it in stock and sold me for 500 rupees, compared to 700 or 800 on flipkart/amazon.

My previous experience is only with Kenda and entry level Vittoria. This is not any different than them as far as rolling and comfort is concerned, based on one ride. Will update on puncture resistance in few months time.

One downside I see is the max psi. The sidewall mentions it as 75 only. Since I keep 70 in front, I may not face an issue but if one decides to put it on the rear, this max psi would be a problem.
shipnil is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks