Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2020, 14:39   #5011
BANNED

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
and recently picked up a ST520 just for fun. I am now planning a Manali-Let myself next year on that, after I realised just how much fun it is. Light frame, great ergos, thumb shifters, discs, lockout suspension and good rolling wheels at a super price point. Do take a look at that.
I am considering a used RR520. How much is a good price for a piece which seems to be used as a show-off maybe, a couple of hundred km? I'm asking because the reviews on Decathlon site are very negative.

TIA.
Old 21st November 2020, 14:51   #5012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I am considering a used RR520. How much is a good price for a piece which seems to be used as a show-off maybe, a couple of hundred km? I'm asking because the reviews on Decathlon site are very negative.

TIA.
Its a seller's market right now and absurd rates are being quoted.

Wait for next year. Most of these chaddi-banyan drying bikes will come on to OLX. And it will be a buyer's market.

Already I am seeing a number of indoor trainers coming on to the market now that the lockdowns are over and covid fatigue has set in big time.

The cycles will soon follow.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 18:39   #5013
BANNED

German mudguards on a French bike

Dirt, muck and water are not the only things you find on indian roads. Or rather, your back after riding without mudguards. a full size mudguard is a necessity for most riders here. So I went the extra mile and got the German brand, SKS Bluemels Longboard part no. 10439 on SKS-Germany site. I had to order online from Cycle Boutique, in Bengaluru Since the SKS distributor's (Ozone Ventures) website carried wrong info on dealer contact. While the size fits, none of the fasteners Were useful. So I had to spend ₹ 35 and wander a out for 6 km in 4 shops to find the right sized nuts and bolts. I still could not get stainless steel ones in the right size. use to use washers liberally since half inch was too short and one inch length fouled with chains at rear.

The Bicycles thread-20201121_163900.jpg

The Installation instructions require cutting the stays so that the mudguard is very close to the tyre. But I got fed up with the alignment, putting on, removal, etc and did not have the tools too. 2So put the bracket for front mudguard in front of the fork. This aligned the mudguard the way you see it now, eliminating the need for cutting the stays. The mudguards are very light weight, but once fixed, feel stronger than the GI ones I have seen in my younger days.

In hindsight, I ought to have considered the strap on models they have. Mudguards Worth ₹ 3750 on a ₹ 9k bike!!! But my son is pleased as punch with it.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 19:01   #5014
Senior - BHPian

Re: German mudguards on a French bike

Quote:
In hindsight, I ought to have considered the strap on models they have. Mudguards Worth ₹ 3750 on a ₹ 9k bike!!! But my son is pleased as punch with it.
Decathlon has the same full cover mudguards with stays. Am sure with a little cutting and bending and some brackets they would have fitted .... at least as well as the front one is currently. But ya, SKS are pricey but long lasting.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8539800/c...0-500e-900-920

Cheers, Doc
Old 21st November 2020, 19:51   #5015
BHPian

After a lot of back and forth, Yes-No, Yes-No, and my better half also opposing it...I finally gave in and ordered the Riverside 120 Online and picked it up from nearby Decathlon earlier today. I hopped on a Bicycle today almost after a gap of 20+ Yrs., when i used to ride my Hercules Top Gear in School. But once, i started pedaling on Riverside 120, felt like I was Gliding. The Seat was set at the Lowest level, which I have raised a bit now. I must admit the Seat was a bit too Hard and my Butt started aching a bit in the 3 Km ride home. Will take some time getting used to it. Also, fit a Front and Rear LED Flashlight to it, that I had purchased last year in Dubai. Couple of queries:
1. The Tyres look slimmer that what i had expected, based on the Website Pics. They are Ralson 700 X 38c, while website states 700 X 35. Are these the right ones?
2. I got a Hybrid Bike Hand Pump for Top-up purposes. https://www.decathlon.in/p/8546863/c...and-pump-black. I assume Riverside 120 has a Schrader Valve and not Presta. Anyone used this Pump and is it easy to use and effective?

Am a total novice in Cycling and would appreciate Cycling Tips from the experts over here to make my Biking experience a memorable one. Sharing some Pics of my new Ride.

The Bicycles thread-img_20201121_163253.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20201121_162941.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20201121_172914.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20201121_172220.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 21st November 2020 at 22:11. Reason: Added Text. EDIT: Pictures inserted in-line.
abhi3284 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 21:42   #5016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

TIA.
Reviews are dependant on so many individual factors and biases. I also know of some local cycle dealers in NCR who promote bad mouthing of decathlon products because it has significantly eaten into their businesses.
With the RR520 you're basically getting an entry level bike with decent components, comfy ergos, not heavy and something that rides very easy. It's not meant for serious off-road riding by any stretch. My biggest gripe is with the brakes but again for road and trail riding it's adequate. Having said that, a deal between 17-20k depending on how good the condition is should be great.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 22:04   #5017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My biggest gripe is with the brakes but again for road and trail riding it's adequate.
Why brakes? Aren't the fancy Hayes disc brakes good?

I think it only loses to the costlier RR540 in terms of the fork lockout. And possibly extra cog at the rear.

Though some claim that the 540 frame is French made while the 520 is Ludhiana made.

Cheers, Doc
Old 21st November 2020, 22:14   #5018
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to the world of cycling (again) - this will only get better as you start doing more and more rides!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
The Seat was set at the Lowest level, which I have raised a bit now.
If the seat height is what we see in the images, I'd say it can go a little higher - a rough check is to see if it is at the handlebar height (or can be higher), assuming you got the right bike size wrt your height.

Quote:
I must admit the Seat was a bit too Hard and my Butt started aching a bit in the 3 Km ride home. Will take some time getting used to it.
That's normal - you'll get used to it. Buy padded shorts from Decathalon - there are a few conversations/posts just a few pages back for reference.

Quote:
1. The Tyres look slimmer than what i had expected, based on the Website Pics. They are Ralson 700 X 38c, while website states 700 X 35. Are these the right ones?
People pick hybrid tire options from 700 X 28c to 700 X 38c; any size below that (<28c) is generally road bike territory. 38 should be more than sufficient in your case.

Quote:
I assume Riverside 120 has a Schrader Valve and not Presta. Anyone used this Pump and is it easy to use and effective?
Those are Schrader valves on your tires. No idea about that particular pump but there are definitely better pumps in decathlon. To be honest, I keep a floor/foot pump in the house and a small hand-based pump (like yours) that I can sometimes carry on long rides, but rarely use. See if you can source a normal floor pump - any local cycle shop will have it, and it's pretty cheap (~500 Rs).

Last edited by ninjatalli : 21st November 2020 at 22:24.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 22:35   #5019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Seat was set at the Lowest level, which I have raised a bit now.
Lots of videos on you tube how to set saddle height. Most common being the heel on the pedal, with pedal being at the lowest position (in line with the seat tube), your leg should be almost straight, but never fully locked out. This is with you wearing your cycling tights, and cycling shoes.

However this is a tad cumbersome if you are doing it alone, as it involves getting on and off the saddle multiple times, and balancing with one shoulder propped against a wall, or holding on to something for balance.

The easier way, favoured by many old school Indian racers, and pretty accurate, is cradling the front narrow end of the saddle in your armpit firmly, hanging your arm straight down the other side, fingers outstretched. The tip of your middle finger should align with the center of your bottom bracket. Quick and easy and more accurate than what the shop guys do of lining up the saddle at the appropriate level of your hip bone, with you standing alongside the saddle.

All these are approximations. When in doubt, and feeling uncomfortable and stretching out at the bottom of the pedal stroke, to the extent of rocking your hip off the edge of the saddle in reaching, go lower. You cannot get injured that way (unless of course you go too low ... then you hurt the front of your knees).

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 21st November 2020 at 22:45.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 14:13   #5020
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Decathlon has the same full cover mudguards with stays. Am sure with a little cutting and bending and some brackets they would have fitted .... at least as well as the front one is currently.
Yes. I too have a similar idea. After all, I expect the Riverside series (100, 120 and 500) to have identical geometry. Maybe, the front suspension makes a difference on the 500. Just to confirm, visited the store, but the guy told "no". I asked for a piece (was in stock at store), he found it, but started attending other non-cycling customers running away everytime I went near.
The "customer happiness" team told me, in one sentence, "please use the 700C mudguards" and those were unavailable at the 2 stores here. And online too.

Quote:
... and ordered the Riverside 120
... But once, i started pedaling on Riverside 120, felt like I was Gliding. The Seat was set at the Lowest level, which I have raised a bit now.
1. The Tyres look slimmer that what i had expected, based on the Website Pics. They are Ralson 700 X 38c, while website states 700 X 35. Are these the right ones?
2. I got a Hybrid Bike Hand Pump for Top-up purposes.

I assume Riverside 120 has a Schrader Valve and not Presta. Anyone used this Pump and is it easy to use and effective?
Yes. After riding an old school old tech bike, anything is gliding. Thinner tyres offer better rolling, but I'm not into the 35 vs 38 size.

I have an Indian brand pump with Chinese made "made In India" stickers which has two holes at the end of the tube - for Dunlop valves (like the ones you probably had in your school days) and the other fits the Riverside 100 valves. I believe they are called the presta valves. Low cost pumps tend to be this way Dunlop + Presta. Mid priced ones are mostly Schrader + Presta but most in indian market online fit all 3. High end ones have nozzles for all three plus a pressure guage too. As long it fits, does the name really matter?

Have not used this pump on Riverside so far. But made my son connect it to the valves, and he says it will work - but I'm not sure of the 55-60 psi being achievable. I'm waiting for this 2 year old el cheapo to give up before getting one with gauges.

You have a bike with quick release on both tyres. I suggest you get 2 cables for front and rear wheel. Look up the Decathlon listing on how to secure the seat, rear wheel and frame, with one cable. And front wheel + frame with another cable lock.

Quote:
Why brakes? Aren't the fancy Hayes disc brakes good?

I think it only loses to the costlier RR540 in terms of the fork lockout. And possibly extra cog at the rear.
In addition to what you point out, 540 has hydraulic disc brakes. The 520 has mechanical ones.

Quote:
Having said that, a deal between 17-20k depending on how good the condition is should be great.
Thanks for the info. But right now,daughter (for whom it is intended) says she do without one. And the seller too is not sure of its size. So will put it on the back burner for time being.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 15:11   #5021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I too have a similar idea. After all, I expect the Riverside series (100, 120 and 500) to have identical geometry. Maybe, the front suspension makes a difference on the 500. Just to confirm, visited the store, but the guy told "no". I asked for a piece (was in stock at store), he found it, but started attending other non-cycling customers running away everytime I went near.
The "customer happiness" team told me, in one sentence, "please use the 700C mudguards" and those were unavailable at the 2 stores here. And online too.
From what I can see, the front Decathlon mudguard has a bracket for the center fork hole, and a metal wire stay same as the SKS one you've fitted. So there's no reason it would not fit similarly, since your fork obviously has the eyelet at the bottom. Even without that a simple patti bracket bent around the fork leg on both sides, with a hole drilled through for anchoring the wire stay end bolts is all that would be needed.

Cheers, Doc
Old 23rd November 2020, 19:18   #5022
BHPian

Hello all, I need some advice.
I have a cheap as chips Schnell which is my daily transport around classes and college (approx 5-8km). I have maintained it myself since I bought it (June 2019) apart from the needing to replace the brake cable and tire tube once. It has recently developed two problems.

One of them is that the bike shifts gears whenever I go over sharp potholes and the shifting response isn't as quick as before. It has a 24 speed Shimano Tourney system and I presume that this is simply due to cable stretch and tightening the cables should solve it. Please correct me if I'm wrong and mention what the cause may be.

The other one is that one of the spokes of the rear wheel has come off of the hub and is hanging off the rim. I have currently wedged it between two other spokes so that it doesn't dangle around. I understand that it isn't really a problem to lose one spoke but I should get it fixed nonetheless to prevent further damage. But spoke truing is not an easy task and I currently do not trust any roadside cycle shops to do it. Could BHPians from Pune suggest a good shop where I could get this done near Kothrud/Karve-Nagar area?
Old 23rd November 2020, 21:37   #5023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superguy282 View Post
Hello all, I need some advice.
I have a cheap as chips Schnell which is my daily transport around classes and college (approx 5-8km). I have maintained it myself since I bought it (June 2019) apart from the needing to replace the brake cable and tire tube once. It has recently developed two problems.

One of them is that the bike shifts gears whenever I go over sharp potholes and the shifting response isn't as quick as before. It has a 24 speed Shimano Tourney system and I presume that this is simply due to cable stretch and tightening the cables should solve it. Please correct me if I'm wrong and mention what the cause may be.

The other one is that one of the spokes of the rear wheel has come off of the hub and is hanging off the rim. I have currently wedged it between two other spokes so that it doesn't dangle around. I understand that it isn't really a problem to lose one spoke but I should get it fixed nonetheless to prevent further damage. But spoke truing is not an easy task and I currently do not trust any roadside cycle shops to do it. Could BHPians from Pune suggest a good shop where I could get this done near Kothrud/Karve-Nagar area?
You can take your bike to Cykler or Scott. Both are in the area.

The spoke definitely needs to be replaced or more will break.

For the gear, you need to first see if it's slipping from big cog to small cog, or small cog to big cog at the rear.

If the former, turn the shift cable barrel adjuster at the rear derailleur slightly anticlockwise (towards the cycle).

If the latter, turn the barrel adjuster slightly clockwise (away from the cycle).

Turn a few degree in either case and ride and shift and see if it's improved.

If not, turn a bit more and try again.

Small few degrees turns each time.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd November 2020 at 21:39.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 09:04   #5024
BHPian

Quote:
You can take your bike to Cykler or Scott. Both are in the area.
The spoke definitely needs to be replaced or more will break.
For the gear, you need to first see if it's slipping from big cog to small cog, or small cog to big cog at the rear.
If the former, turn the shift cable barrel adjuster at the rear derailleur slightly anticlockwise (towards the cycle).
If the latter, turn the barrel adjuster slightly clockwise (away from the cycle).
Turn a few degree in either case and ride and shift and see if it's improved.
If not, turn a bit more and try again.
Small few degrees turns each time.
Cheers, Doc
Thanks a lot Doc!

The Bicycles thread-img_20201124_081949.jpg

I went for a long ride today and noticed that the bicycle is upshifting (big to small cog) and will adjust the barrel adjustor as advised. I have also contacted Cykler on WhatsApp and am awaiting their response. I couldn't believe it when there was such a professional bicycle shop this close to my house!

I'll update on both the issues after visiting Cykler.
Thanks again!
superguy282 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 09:45   #5025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superguy282 View Post
Thanks a lot Doc!

I'll update on both the issues after visiting Cykler.
Thanks again!
Tell Santosh that Doc referred you. He's a good friend and a tech mentor and guru.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks