Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 12:39   #4891
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
I managed to order the Triban 100 Flat Bar Road Bike online from Decathlon.
It looks amazing and i know it is very light weight.
Do keep us posted about how it rides. Curious to know how it does on climbs since it is single speed at front.

Good luck to you.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 13:18   #4892
Senior - BHPian

I have been using a Triban 100 with flat bar. Not fit enough to ride with the drop bar.
I bought it in mid 2018. It's been doing its job flawlessly for over 2 years now.
I am 178 cms and bought myself a L size Triban 100.
The Bicycles thread-img_1420.jpg
starter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 14:07   #4893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
I am 178 cms and bought myself a L size Triban 100.
Would you recommend this size who is about 185cms long in height? also, I was reading up online that the tyres are too suceptiable to punchers even on the normally paved roads, does one has to upgrade to better quality tyres right out of the box?

Last edited by drive_angry : 13th October 2020 at 14:12.
Old 13th October 2020, 14:12   #4894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Would you recommend this size who is about 185cms long in height?
Ideal option (in a normal world) would be to do a test ride. Currently I'd recommend going by the manufacturer's size chart which states the L / 57cm sized frame would be ideal for your height.

Personally I'd agree with the above rating - I'm 5'10 and I had (/have) a 56 cm sized road bike but I later felt a 54 would have been more ideal if I had the choice.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 14:12   #4895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Got myself a Riverside 120 from Decathlon last week. Since none of the stores here had one in stock, had to order online. Funnily though, if you order online and pick it up from the store, the shipping is free. But if you wanted it delivered at your door, it’s another 1200/-.
Congratulations on a lovely bike. Its very reliable and runs great. A friend of mine did many thousands of kilometres on it before retiring it (hand down to his teenage son) and picking up the Triban 100 road bike.

Now he wants to retire the Triban 100 and pick up a more serious roadie with proper brifters. That's how cycling is!

Quote:
I have been using a Triban 100 with flat bar.
Beautiful bike. Just love its simple paint job and elegant lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Ideal option (in a normal world) would be to do a test ride. Currently I'd recommend going by the manufacturer's size chart which states the L / 57cm sized frame would be ideal for your height.

Personally I'd agree with the above rating - I'm 5'10 and I had (/have) a 56 cm sized road bike but I later felt a 54 would have been more ideal if I had the choice.
Yup. I'm 180 and I ride the 54 cm CAAD8 and while initially there was a break-in period (coming off of the more upright ACT) where I felt a tad stretched out to the hoods, now it fits like a glove as the core has gotten stronger and I can hold my torso lower and hence get a more relaxed bend in my elbows, and the hands rest on the hoods or the top of the shifters comfortably. In fact that's my go-to position either in the wind, climbing, or accelerating and then holding above tempo efforts. More than the drops.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 13th October 2020 at 14:21.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 14:42   #4896
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that sure is esteemed company. Two Cannondales, One Trek and a BTWIN Bangalore is rained out and no rides are happening, of late
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Nice breakfast omelettes and chai ride with the team after ages last Saturday
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 14:58   #4897
BANNED

Quote:
manufacturer's size chart which states the L / 57cm sized frame would be ideal for your height.
That link takes me to a discontinued model.
Here is a link which hopefully will work.

https://d1314cmsbd81ch.cloudfront.ne...e_en.html#velo

Edit - since saddles can be raised, I guess by up to 15 - 25 cm. So can anybody please advise on getting a smaller size bike and raising the saddle?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 13th October 2020 at 15:12.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 15:47   #4898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Wow, that sure is esteemed company. Two Cannondales, One Trek and a BTWIN Bangalore is rained out and no rides are happening, of late
Thanks buddy. Two of these are actually the second bikes of their respective riders. Its actually left to right the new Trek Emonda ALR 5 (super light alloy, with carbon shaped tubes and joints lines), the Cannondale CAAD8, the BTwin Triban 500, and the Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon hybrid (with road bike gearing).

The main bike of the BTwin guy is a Scott Addict (carbon) Ultegra and the main bike of the Specialized guy is a Merida Scultura (carbon) Ultegra.

These are the racer puppies of our team , but we also have some very good Super Randonneurs as well, including PBP finishers and the winner of the recent Nashik-Amritsar 5-day SR.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 13th October 2020 at 15:58.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 19:17   #4899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Beautiful bike. Just love its simple paint job and elegant lines.
Thank you doc. I read your review on the bike and felt good that i had bought a decent one.

Quote:
Yup. I'm 180 and I ride the 54 cm CAAD8 and while initially there was a break-in period (coming off of the more upright ACT) where I felt a tad stretched out to the hoods, now it fits like a glove as the core has gotten stronger and I can hold my torso lower and hence get a more relaxed bend in my elbows, and the hands rest on the hoods or the top of the shifters comfortably. In fact that's my go-to position either in the wind, climbing, or accelerating and then holding above tempo efforts. More than the drops.
Quote:

Guys, but both of you are referring to triban road bike.
If drive_angry is planning to pick the one with a flat bar, the size chart is a bit different and he should pick the Large.

Size guide here -> https://d1314cmsbd81ch.cloudfront.ne...e_en.html#velo
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 19:42   #4900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, but both of you are referring to triban road bike.
If drive_angry is planning to pick the one with a flat bar, the size chart is a bit different and he should pick the Large.
Both bikes are the same; i.e. frame is the same; only the handle and some of the components are different.

Also both of us recommended the L (= LARGE/57cm) only.

Reference links with size charts - Triban 100 with flat bar, Triban 100 road bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Edit - since saddles can be raised, I guess by up to 15 - 25 cm. So can anybody please advise on getting a smaller size bike and raising the saddle?
BIG NO. There's a reason why bike sizing/fitment is offered (and used) as a paid service - you practically end up screwing up with your body's natural pose while riding if you choose the wrong size.

Yes, you can play around with the seat height, position and the handle setup and other aspects; but I'd advise not to go against the manufacturer recommended sizes unless you have test-ridden the bike over a substantial distance and are comfortable with the size you prefer.

Also fyi the above response to @starter with regards to bike sizing guides.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 13th October 2020 at 19:52.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 19:51   #4901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both bikes are the same; i.e. frame is the same; only the handle and some of the components are different.

Also both of us recommended the L (= LARGE/57cm) only.

Reference links with size charts - Triban 100 with flat bar, Triban 100 road bike

Actually the sizing for the flat bar n drop bar is different surprisingly. A friend of mine who just bought the drop bar needed a XS in the drop bar and S in the flat bar. He eventually bought the S in the drop bar since XS was not available (I think they don't even get it to India).

Cheets, Doc
Old 13th October 2020, 20:22   #4902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, the size recommendation is different.
For the flat bar, rider height 173-185 cm --> Large is recommended.
For the drop bar, rider height 173-182 cm --> Medium is recommended.
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 20:48   #4903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, the size recommendation is different.
For the flat bar, rider height 173-185 cm --> Large is recommended.
For the drop bar, rider height 173-182 cm --> Medium is recommended.
How does it matter to @BaCkSeAtDrIVeR - he's 185 cms. So large is the ideal choice for him whichever sizing guide he refers to. Anyway he's got enough feedback so the ball is in his court now.

Quote:
Actually the sizing for the flat bar n drop bar is different surprisingly.
Not if I go by the size chart on the website links I shared. Unless Decathlon folks are putting up the wrong size charts just for fun across different products.

I think I'd had enough of Triban based conversation on this thread (practically I think it's just another entry level bike by Decathlon- nothing spectacular, but I'm simbbblyy just inviting trouble by saying that )

P.s. @doc - do you get some incentive to push Triban bikes? Maybe you should reach out to Decathlon - I'm sure their Triban sales went up by a huge margin just by your recommendation posts over the last few weeks.
Old 14th October 2020, 09:29   #4904
BHPian

Quote:
P.s. @doc - do you get some incentive to push Triban bikes? Maybe you should reach out to Decathlon - I'm sure their Triban sales went up by a huge margin just by your recommendation posts over the last few weeks.
to the last bit

Anyways, I was confused between M and L, decided to take the plunge with Decathlon's 90 day return policy in my mind if the size doesn't suit me. But it appears I made the right choice.
DaiusPitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 11:27   #4905
Senior - BHPian

Realize that the comment was tongue in cheek, but no I do not post on Team BHP or anywhere else, not push anything for incentives or any personal gain.

If I feel something is good I need to be personally convinced and not base it on hearsay.

The Tribans are not the entry level bikes of Decathlon. Those start at 5-7k.

The Triban 100s are their mid level offerings. At 20-23k.

But more importantly in the context of this thread, when the multiple queries of newbies for their first bike come up, from guys getting back into cycling after many years, decades even, it's important they pick up a good bike in their starter budgets.

If you pick up a useless bike, your foray into cycling will be short lived once the niggles crop up and the breakdowns happen. Not yo mention the entire less than enjoyable ride experience. And then there is the question of service support which in my experience of the last 5 years of cycling, is truly pathetic in our country if you have a lower end / local bike. For tge higher end bikes you have places where you pay the money and get the service. It's the Montras and Hercules and Firefoxes and Schnells that have to run from place to place to get half decent competent mechanical attention (as opposed to the roadside style "mechanics").

I have a pretty good idea of this space having ridden my ACT (and Top Gear before) fir close to 20,000 km now. 15 of them on Strava.

In the sub 20k price band I do not see a single bike (Indian or import) that comes in at 11 kilos like the Tribans do.

Cycling is huge on power to weight. Most cycles (good ones, including the Montras and BSAs and Firefoxes and Schnells and Trinxes) in this price range, with rigid forks, comes in at around 15-16 kilos.

11 kilos is just a kilo over a proper entry level big brand road bike costing 50-60k. To me personally that's a fantastic build achievement and a superb buy.

People tend to get carried away by peripheral stuff like number of gears and suspension etc and forget that a bike is mainly it's frame, with the wheels a close second.

If you find a bike equally good or even nearly as good in this entry level price range by all means let's discuss it here.

The ACT was never as light, and is not available anymore (and for some time now).

The Downtown, the Rapide, the Trance are 3 other bikes I "push" if range of gears and climbing is a priority at the entry level. And for flat bars.

But seriously, a proper thouroughbred drop bar at 11 kilos in under 20k? Why not?!!!!

Lastly, as part of full disclosure, I have a pro rider in my team who heads the cycling section at a Decathlon in Poona. He has the entire fleet of top end road bikes at his disposal and from time to time does ride all of them on rides.

But his favourite weapon of choice is his Triban 100 drop bar. And we've all seen what he does with the bike. He's a climber supreme and comfortably dies Lavasa on those 7 gears. And just a week ago did a Pune Kolhapur Pune 400 km in inder 17 hours. On the same bike.

I trust his word as a biker eyes closed. And he says that this frame and steel fork combo is supremely comfortable and rolls beautifully over long distances. And this is his personal opinion and not as a Decathlon employee cause there's no reason for him to push a cheap low end product over their much more expensive products. And no none is definitely forcing him to ride the Triban 100 near exclusively over their lac plus Van Rysels and carbon roadies with top end componentry and fancy wheelsets.

Hope that clarifies.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 14th October 2020 at 11:55.
ebonho is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks