Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 18:33   #4981
BHPian

Hi All,

I'm planning to get a new bicycle for my 9 yrs old son.

Please suggest options in the price range 6-8K.

I'm thinking of getting them online rather than visiting a store.

Also, how good are Rockrider bicycles from Decathlon?
Old 3rd November 2020, 22:50   #4982
BANNED

Heght please? You intend /the rockrider for your son?
Old 4th November 2020, 07:23   #4983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hi All,

You can order one thru decathlon.in, the ideal size for 9 years would be size 24, there is a model called Rockrider junior 100, with gear as well as without gear. The one with gear costs around 8499 and the one without gear costs 6499. If your son is not going to be riding on slopes or elevations, then without gear should suffice.

Another alternative is to buy from Trackandtrail.in, its the official website of TI cycles India and they deal in Hercules, Montra etc.

However, size 24 may be just right for your son and depending on his height he may be able to ride size 26 as well. And this is typically the starting size of adults cycles. I have seen some kids in my apartment use size 26, model ST20 from decathlon, which comes in low frame and high frame.

If you can, you should take him to the store to get a feel of both these sizes.
Old 4th November 2020, 12:24   #4984
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
You can order one thru decathlon.in, the ideal size for 9 years would be size 24, there is a model called Rockrider junior 100, with gear as well as without gear. The one with gear costs around 8499 and the one without gear costs 6499. If your son is not going to be riding on slopes or elevations, then without gear should suffice.

Another alternative is to buy from Trackandtrail.in, its the official website of TI cycles India and they deal in Hercules, Montra etc..
With any model Decathlon, you'll need to consider costs of bell, side stand mudguards, locks, etc which are extra.

Apart from track'ntrail, Tata's Stryder are available on Tata's Cliq site. (There are weekend discounts on certain cards). The down side with non-decathlon products is condition in which they are shipped.

Please confirm with seller /customer support about scope of assembly required.

With Decathlon, (I got the Riverside) it was a 5 minute affair. Opening the carton took longer than assembly, in fact.

Turn around the handlebar, tighten a screw with the Allen ket which came in the box, fit the two pedals (just be careful to get the threads right - turn with hands first and use the supplied spanner only at the end. That is all.

In comparison, other sites use a "skilled technician required for assembly" kind of phrases.

YMMV. So be careful of online e purchases.
Quote:
However, size 24 may be just right for your son and depending on his height he may be able to ride size 26 as well. And this is typically the starting size of adults cycles. I have seen some kids in my apartment use size 26, model ST20 from decathlon, which comes in low frame and high frame..
Valid point. Additionally, if he wont go beyond a short distance, (500 meters, without a "kilo", OR is starting with cycling, stick to 24" size. Else go for the S size 26" (that is what is available now - not the XS). My son is 2-3 cm short of the height recommended for size M, but I went ahead and got M anyway, because kids grow. And he wont go beyond 2 -3 km for a few more months. Please note that his feet reach the ground, while seated on the saddle, so my decision in getting a larger size really is not a problem.

I had posted a YouTube video of a small kid riding a big roadster ta)let than him somewhere in rural India. :-) but don't go too far with inexperienced kids.
Old 4th November 2020, 17:56   #4985
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Hi fellow riders, I need a decent headlight for my RC 120 road bicycle, around 200 lumens or so. What would be a good model/make to look for? The Chinese stuff on Amazon is a hit or miss affair with some pieces working well and some failing very fast, as can be seen from the reviews.

Last edited by goandude : 4th November 2020 at 17:57. Reason: spelling
Old 4th November 2020, 18:12   #4986
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi fellow riders, I need a decent headlight for my RC 120 road bicycle, around 200 lumens or so. What would be a good model/make to look for? The Chinese stuff on Amazon is a hit or miss affair with some pieces working well and some failing very fast, as can be seen from the reviews.
Decathlon? Link -
Hey! Checkout this product on Decathlon App https://www.decathlon.in/qr/8405195/-1

Or may be a place called cycle boutique in Bangalore? They have a web site. And am in the process of buying a mudguard from them online. Do I'm not really recommending them.

And I wont buying one soon - just looking them up. So not really a recommendation either.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 06:13   #4987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

Another alternative is to buy from Trackandtrail.in, its the official website of TI cycles India and they deal in Hercules, Montra etc.

However, size 24 may be just right for your son and depending on his height he may be able to ride size 26 as well.

Thanks for the suggestion Motorworks.

Got Hercules Street Cat Pro HT 24 home delivered from TrackandTrail yesterday.
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 14:07   #4988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Decathlon? Link -
Hey! Checkout this product on Decathlon App https://www.decathlon.in/qr/8405195/-1

Or may be a place called cycle boutique in Bangalore? They have a web site. And am in the process of buying a mudguard from them online. Do I'm not really recommending them.

And I wont buying one soon - just looking them up. So not really a recommendation either.
I have this one from Decathlon and is decent in my view. In the flashing white mode it lasts around 3 hours. In full intensity it is less than an hour. Low intensity is around 1.5-2 hours. Have not used it in the flashing red mode.
Old 5th November 2020, 17:30   #4989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Decathlon? Link -

Went to Decathlon, Whitefield, but very disappointed as they had absolutely nothing for headlights.
Then went to Cycling Botique and met the owner Biju, who is an endurance cyclist himself. And since it was a quiet afternoon we spent time chatting. He had a huge variety of bicycle accessories. Eventually I got a combination of Mako 250 and Cherry Bomb 100. Also picked up a stand to service the bike.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 21:00   #4990
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Went to Decathlon, Whitefield, but very disappointed as they had absolutely nothing for headlights.
Then went to Cycling Botique and met the owner Biju, who is an endurance cyclist himself.
Hmmm. Decathlon does have hiccups in that their in-store stock position does not reflect accurately online. And an out of stock product sometimes shows up as available and yet again, some products are marketed "clearance sale" online are neither available online, nor are showing up as available for in-store purchase. They certainly are stretched out, it seems. And their customer "happiness" team is doing a real good job.

Anyway you seem to have got a far better spec'ed product that you were looking for.

While on the topic of lights, anybody remember / has used the dynamo type headlights? The dynamo was attached to one of the seat stays. _out pressed a lever and it pressed on the tyre rubber, and tyres had aberrations to provide friction for the dynamo. Of course, there was a rear facing red light. Using a cycle without a dynamo in night usually made the local police men richer by some small change. Use of the dynamo however resulted in accelerated tyre wear at the point of contact with the dynamo. Sanyo dynamos used to be in High demand due to their soft contact with tyres and brighter light, besides the "imported" snob value. And use of dynamo usually meant twice pedal power with little to no benefits of a pathetic light.
Old 5th November 2020, 21:50   #4991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While on the topic of lights, anybody remember / has used the dynamo type headlights? The dynamo was attached to one of the seat stays. _out pressed a lever and it pressed on the tyre rubber, and tyres had aberrations to provide friction for the dynamo. Of course, there was a rear facing red light. Using a cycle without a dynamo in night usually made the local police men richer by some small change. Use of the dynamo however resulted in accelerated tyre wear at the point of contact with the dynamo. Sanyo dynamos used to be in High demand due to their soft contact with tyres and brighter light, besides the "imported" snob value. And use of dynamo usually meant twice pedal power with little to no benefits of a pathetic light.
Randonneurs and other ultra cyclists now have very fancy hub dynamos that through a USB connector port can either run rechargeable lights, charge power banks or phones, or directly run special dynamo lights that are usually fixed lower down to the center of the fork.

Some of these hubs are quite expensive (usually based on how little resistance they offer and how few watts they rob the rider of) but Decathlon in Europe and the UK sells complete dynamo hub wheels in different sizes for ridiculous prices.

The trick is finding someone to fly back here with a fully built wheel.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 5th November 2020 at 21:54.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 13:53   #4992
Senior - BHPian

Winter projects stacking up...

The Bicycles thread-img_20201107_13320201.jpeg

Suncross Dirtmax yesterday and B'Twin solid fork Rockrider 300 today. Both rather heavy steel bikes w/standard 21-gears, former with discs and thumb-shifts double-wall rims, latter without these but still likeable as an old-school minimalist MTB, and in its favor the plastic-coated cranks are aluminum vs. the steel of the Suncross...

If I can keep my shop tolerably warm in the coming months, will plan on having all these done up and available as rentals up here next season, as I've been getting a lot of inquiries of late.

The Bicycles thread-img_20201107_13364101.jpeg

In other news... was surprised to find that among the old stock of parts a friend had given me a few weeks back was this bottle that would match the 108Max nicely. It was jammed full of dusty brake shoes when I went through before, and I hadn't noticed the logo... Nice surprise!!!

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 11:29   #4993
BHPian

My two year old Trek Remedy. These days I'm using it more like a road bike rather than its intended purpose. You cannot complain about the quality of the components!
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-trek_remedy.jpg  

joe1980 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:50   #4994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hi All,

Decathlon bikes are good. What makes them even better is the after service, particularly if you bought a geared bike.

Also recommend taking a look at Olx. Lot of people buy bikes and discover that its not for them. My son has gone through two Decathlon bikes and I got both of them for a steal compared to a new one.
Old 12th November 2020, 05:53   #4995
Senior - BHPian

Went for a 150 km ride on Sunday in preparation for a 200 Km Brevet in December. I did it in 8:14 total riding time with 7:00 on the saddle. But I think stretched myself too much, in that my backside was very painful in last 50 kms and I got thigh cramps in the last 5 kms. So I have a few questions for the more experienced riders here...

I have been using a memory foam seat cover for my rides along with non padded shorts and it was serving me very well till now. Reading about this on the net gave me the option of (a) padded shorts with no seat cover and (b) no padded shorts and no padded seat cover wherein your backside gets used to the seat.

Secondly, what should be the ratio of stops to riding? My daily average riding speed is about 22 to 25 kmph depending on terrain.

PS. I regularly ride 30 to 50 kms on alternate weekdays and 70 to 80 kms on weekends, without any issues.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks