Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2020, 13:57   #5041
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Also need your thoughts on the multi-speed conversion I'm aiming for.
It's been more than 6 months since that post, and a lot has happened since then. I have successfully managed to spend double the cost of the bike on doing it up, but I've also learnt a lot in the process.

This is how the bike looks now:
The Bicycles thread-img20201203153445.jpg

Here's the list of "mods":
The Bicycles thread-untitled.png

The only "stock" parts on the bike apart from the frame now are the rims and tires. I'm eyeing a disc brake conversion the next time I'm bored on a weekend.
boniver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 10:06   #5042
BANNED

Does anyone know anything about bicycle tyres - manufacturing process and such? I've got a BSA SLR which needs 2 pairs of tyre/tubes 590mm 26x1 3/8 EA.3 tyre+tube. Plenty of manufacturers and Hartex seems popular in Bangalore/SP Road but the quality is not that great.

1. Any suggestions on what brand to buy
2. Nylon or Cotton - Nylon doesn't seem to be availiable for my rim. Does it make a diff besides tyre pressure?
3. Where do I buy - Hartex has an office in SP but they sell only wholesale. Going to a cycle-shop, I was told 1500/ when Metro costs 500/ (2 pairs tyre+tube) in Mangalore..
Old 5th December 2020, 13:08   #5043
BHPian

Firefox Road Runner Pro-D - Detailed Review

Introduction

When we talk about performance bicycles in our country, there is one brand that is synonymous with this segment and that is Firefox.
It has maintained itself as one of the most aspirational bicycle brands in India for all age group and for those who want more from their bicycles.
The Hybrid range of bicycles from Firefox have always been known for their superior quality and handling.
One such model from their Hybrid Bicycle line-up is the Firefox Road Runner Pro-D. Which, we have with us for review.

Does this bicycle live up to the brands superior range of hybrids let's find out!!

Frame, Fit and Comfort

The bicycle has a lightweight full alloy frame. Road runner comes with a front suspension with 40mm travel.
Suspension made sure that pot holes and bumpy city roads didn't cause too much vibrations.
Other positive of this frame is four sizes which are 16, 18, 19.5 & 21 inches

Design

The bicycle which we had for the review came with a Primary Matt Red Color with Orange & White highlights. The Red paint job is one of the finest which we have seen from Firefox,
Frame’s tubes are the biggest at the stem and thins out at the ends as it proceeds towards the seat post. This indicates that a lot of thought and engineering effort has gone into building this frame.
The Road Runner Pro-D also comes in Grey & Black color variants

Gearing

Being a performance focused hybrid, it's important for gearing components to be top notch. Firefox, have got it right with Tourney at front and Acera at rear as derailleurs.
Gears performed well during test ride and were fast to shift with no lag from drive-train. Acera at this price point is a plus and clearly shows in performance as well

Braking

As the name suggests this bicycle comes with Tektro Mechanical disk brakes at front and rear with 160mm rotor. These are the best Budget Mechanical disk brakes in this segment.
During the test ride, these brakes were reliable on both wet and dry conditions as the braking was spot on.

Ride Quality

The Road Runner Pro-D comes with a 600mm steel handle bar with a slight curve at the center which gives the rider superior control and an open chested posture.
The Firefox Road Runner Pro-D rolls on a pair of Wanda 700 x 35 C tyres. These tyres are supported by double walled Alloy rims. These tyres were fast and had good traction on wet and dry surfaces.

The Firefox stock saddle is padded well and found on few other models of the brand as well.
The overall ride quality was fast and comfortable on urban rods.

Verdict

This bicycle with front suspension is great for leisure, long and fitness rides.
And the handle bar grips with extra cushioning & palm support made it a joy to ride .

The Firefox Road Runner Pro-D, priced at around Rs. 25000/- is suited for anyone looking for a performance focused hybrid bicycle.

Also, enjoy the Video as well:
Old 5th December 2020, 14:38   #5044
Senior - BHPian

Long post alert!

There is no such thing as too much light for a cyclist, and when riding long into the night, in addition to intensity and spread of illumination and autonomous run-time, its extremely important for contingency management in the form of having a secondary back-up on the bike, preferably with a different power source, so that if one is thrown out of the equation (no time or place to recharge from a wall power socket) then the other kicks in (spare rechargeable batteries or AA/AAA cells or power banks). This is the same (redundancies) for both front headlights as well as rear tail lights (as if not more critical).

I used to have a lovely set of front and rear lights bought from K Mart in Australia. These were cheap but truly brilliant. And i used them for all my BRMs. The headlight had twin LEDs and a run-time of 4.5 hours, after which it could be plugged into a power bank to charge, and yet keep running (which in my opinion is a must-have feature for all rechargeable headlights).

Sadly, these were stolen from my bike in the early morning hours after completing a 400 (when the bike was parked to the side and riders were sprawled out recovering and eating and chatting). Nasty thing to do, but it is what it is. We live in a world where there is a resource crunch and many people choose to augment theirs the dishonest way.

Anyway ... (disgusted)

Post that, I bought a headlight from Ali Express after a lot of research and personal testimonials from riders I knew. It had a really big battery (which could double up as a power bank for your mobile phone as well) with a fantastic runtime and huge number of lumens from 3 T6 LEDs .... all on paper!

The Bicycles thread-img20201013wa0027.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20201013wa0019.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20201013wa0021.jpg

When I received it and started using it, within the first couple of night rides I realized that it was nowhere as good as my el cheapo K Mart light. But the reason I bought it was that it had an autonomous power supply that was rechargeable, unlike another brilliant round light gifted to me by a senior randonneur buddy of mine that needed to be plugged into a power bank (or battery pack) to run. That light is honestly better than the headlights of many scooters and motorcycles, but the issue I found in that is that while riding along at night on it, suddenly it would shut off. Now you can imagine how terrifying that is on a highway. You are riding along at 25-30 kmph (a safe speed on the straights for this light which is brilliant till even 45-50 kmph if needed on descents) and suddenly wham! pitch black in front of you.

The Bicycles thread-img_20201204_0953222.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20201204_095350.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20201204_095433.jpg

I used to run the cable of the light from the handlebar, along the bottom of the top tube, to the power bank which I kept in my saddlebag. When I got off to check, the power bank had auto shut off (I initially used to think that the USB connector had jerked loose), probably not recognizing an ongoing power draw, and had to be manually put on again. I'm not convinced that is the reason, but since the other light is so el crappo, I've gone back to fitting this brilliant (but temperamental) light and have now mounted a top tube bag that I ordered from Ali Express for exactly this purpose (to place the power bank in front of me, so that if it auto shuts off, I can while riding put in on again ... and again if it shuts off again after some time). I have a handlebar bag as well, but that's mounted further away, in front of the handlebar, and in between the cables, and I use that in long rides/BRMs only for energy stuff, cable ties, food, spare tubes, batteries, and miscellaneous other stuff that one did not need often and needed access to on the move. The regular type of top tube bag with bags hanging on either side I do not like, in spite of the fact that they have great volume capacity and can carry a lot of stuff, because when you get out of the saddle on climbs, your inner thighs and knees invariably hit them on either side and you then land up off saddle riding with your knees flared out like a doodhwalla ... absurd.

Anyways, so now I have this new aero top tube teardrop shaped slim profile bag that tucks away neatly directly behind the stem and can hold the power bank and some other stuff as well. Hope it works, coz the light is simply brilliant, and I would hate to not be able to use it because of this issue. If there is anyone here who has used the same light and knows a fix, I am all ears and would be supremely grateful for the solution!

The Bicycles thread-img_20201204_095006.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20201204_112554.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20201204_112620.jpg

In other news, the zip ties tethering the rear seat tube fitted bottle holder finally stress fatigued after a good few thousand kilometers of holding strong and suddenly I found the bottle wedged between my leg and the frame. Shifted the bottle to the rear pocket of my jersey and tightened the remaining lower ties of the bottle holder so that it would not foul with the crank and rode home and re-fitted new ties. I'm really happy to be able to carry two bottles on a frame that has provision for only one. So no complaints there.

Managed to source nice quality foam sleeves from a shop in Phadke Haud (his last 4) and cut one in half and slid them over each bar end for some much needed grip and padding for my hands to rest on (my default position while cruising, equivalent to the shoulders of the drop-bar on my roadie).

My ACT is now nearing the 13,000 km mark, and am loving every moment on her. Sturdy, comfortable and always reliable she's been. Like an old shoe, she just feels nice. And a lot like my Bullet, I can actually let myself free in my thoughts when I am riding her.

Along the way, of the non-consumable parts of a stock factory fitted bike, I have worn through the stock rear wheel, the stock saddle, the stock single bolt saddle post, the stock hand grips, the stock pedals, and soon next on the horizon looks to be the stock crank (middle chain ring some teeth have sharpened and scalloped ... and the chain rings are riveted) and possibly the rear derailleur and/or rear shifter (possibly also thanks to a lengthened chain, the rear shifting now its common to get two clicks invariably instead of the single one, with the thumb shifter when shifting to a bigger cog at the rear, and then I have to follow it up with a single click in the opposite direction with the index finger shifter to ensure the extra click is reversed (even though the cog was selected ok).

All of this is of course going to cost more than what I bought my ACT for used (5k), but then I have already spent a lot lot more on her along the years I've been riding her (since 2017), so that's not really an equation I'm unduly concerned with. Simply put, I know it might be cheaper to junk her eventually and get a higher end used hybrid on OLX/Cyclop, but I'm not going to junk her. She's been a good bike and I intend to keep her, like my Hercules Top Gear before her.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 5th December 2020 at 15:07.
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 21:05   #5045
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by veek View Post
Does anyone know anything about bicycle tyres - manufacturing process and such? I've got a BSA SLR which needs 2 pairs of tyre/tubes 590mm 26x1 3/8 EA.3 tyre+tube. Plenty of manufacturers and Hartex seems popular in Bangalore/SP Road but the quality is not that great.
How did you manage to preserve the cycle for so long? Any pics?

Hartex has been around since 1980s. When I replaced the tyre on my cycle in 1986 or '87, it was Hartex. And post replacement, imm the cycle felt like a 4WD ring over boulders. Nothing much could be done back then, the only option one had with anything was not to buy.

But I guess things are far better nowadays- that brand is OEM on some Decathlon models. With the original rims you are not reaching limits of anything on that model, so I guess you should buy what is available. I
Old 6th December 2020, 06:20   #5046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Burn the memory foam seat cover (or gift it to someone who really annoys you).
Buy decent cycling tights. With a pad.
Make sure you pace yourself well ... don't go too hard in the beginning and then burn out.
Drink water regularly. Drink before you feel thirsty. Especially now so with things getting cooler.
Eat on the bike. Dates. Chiki. Dry fruits. Peanuts.
Don't try anything new on the BRM day.
100 and 150 km practice rides are enough to do a 200.
A 5-10 min break every 2 hours or 40-50 km to refill your bottles, stretch, eat, pee, is ok. Control your off saddle time. It kills your total elapsed time, which is the holy grail of randonneuring (not moving average).
Cheers, Doc
I finally completed my first 200 km BRM yesterday. The route wound along Hoskote, Malur, Bangarapet, KGF, Nachikuppam, Bagalur. Weather was light drizzle all the way with overcast skies. Thanks for all the advise, from you all experienced guys. Especially "Control your off saddle time. It kills your total elapsed time, which is the holy grail of randonneuring"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
1) Option A is the way to go, get a good couple of pairs on cycling shorts
'Take it Easy' policy works well for endurance rides.
Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
I too would suggest to get rid of the seat cover and get yourself a padded cycling short.
Regarding rest, as they say, "Drink before you are thirsty, eat before you are hungry and rest before you are tired"
I got a pair of a brand called "Sporteneer" from Amazon.in and it was a good buy. My backside thanked me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Apart from the good guidance the above posts convey, I would like to touch upon one specific point - Saddle Time.
All the very best for your brevet
Yes I kept this principle as a guide during my training.

I completed the ride in 10.5 hours comfortably, in spite of some terrible roads around Sarjapur and on the way. My legs were as good as new but my shoulders were very painful for the last 40 odd kms. Need some more "saddle time" before attempting the next brevet
Here is me at the startThe Bicycles thread-brm-dec-2020.jpg
goandude is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 08:44   #5047
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
How did you manage to preserve the cycle for so long? Any pics?

Hartex has been around since 1980s. When I replaced the tyre on my cycle in 1986 or '87, it was Hartex. And post replacement, imm the cycle felt like a 4WD ring over boulders. Nothing much could be done back then, the only option one had with anything was not to buy.

But I guess things are far better nowadays- that brand is OEM on some Decathlon models. With the original rims you are not reaching limits of anything on that model, so I guess you should buy what is available. I
It's not my bicycle per-se - my parents got it for the sister and she doesn't use it, ergo.. I could take some if you are that keen but it's nothing special.. it's upside down currently - pending repairs.
Old 6th December 2020, 10:42   #5048
BANNED

Well take the photo and rotate it. :-)

Or we'll wait.
Old 6th December 2020, 14:24   #5049
BHPian

After 4 months of waiting , got my priced possession. Will give a small review on the ride after some 200km

The Bicycles thread-9a97713d7a1140eba5eea2c5447fb28e.jpeg
greyhound82 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 15:27   #5050
BHPian

Hey guys, I need some advice on buying a new bike. It will be mainly used by my dad who has knee problems, so doc has advised cycling instead of walking for him. Budget is around 13- 16k, disc brakes are must and front suspension as well because of the roads in my town.
Also, maintenance wise, should I look towards a single speed one as I've heard it's cheaper and better and long lasting than the geared ones?
Also, can anyone throw some light as to where to look for pre owned bikes?

Last edited by aarnav_b : 11th December 2020 at 15:28.
aarnav_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 18:00   #5051
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnav_b View Post
Hey guys, I need some advice on buying a new bike. It will be mainly used by my dad who has knee problems, so doc has advised cycling instead of walking for him. Budget is around 13- 16k, disc brakes are must and front suspension as well because of the roads in my town.
1. What is his height? Choose an appropriate frame size. Frame size specifications vary across manufacturers and bike types. (MTBs, Hybrids, etc)
2. Look at bike weight too. An 18+ kg el cheapo will be painful.
3. Please justify disc brakes.
4. Suspension - are you sure?

Since you say it is for your father, I suppose he is not going to be comfortable with road bikes, which are ones with low handlebars and low riding stance.

Hybrids / city bikes would be better. Old school roasters are still available at ₹ 5-6k brand new.

Else, start your research with Decathlon's "My Bike" @ ₹ 5k. Or if you want gears, Riverside 100 @ ₹ 9k (is what I suggest). Also consider Riverside 120 for its "quick release" seats and wheels, but does not add to riding comfort. These are available online too.

The Triban RC 100 flat bar version is a tad below ₹ 20k. But is only 11kg compared to 13.x kg of the Riverside.

If dead sure about disc brakes, and suspension, the Riverside 500 is ₹ 23k. MTBs, with suspension are in range of ₹ 14-16k. Add another 10k for disc brakes. But MTBs are heavier by a couple of kg, and with wider tyres, need more effort.

Other brands at this price point are still heavier.

But do wait for other responses, I'm no expert.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 21:29   #5052
BHPian

Trek FX2 Disc 2021 ownership Review: 40km

Frame:
Alpha Gold Alluminium , internal cable routing
Brakes
Hydraulic disck brakes , tektro brakes , flat mounted
Tyres
Bontrager 700x35 c

Drivetrain :
Rear Derailleur : Acera M360
Front Derailleur : Tourney TY 710 series
Cassete : 11-32 Altus hyperglide
Crank : 48 – 38 – 28
Shifters : Altus Rapid fire
Weight: 11.95 kg

All in comparison to Trek 3500 Disc with slicks riding since 2011:

2. Light weight
3. Smooth Shifting

Dislikes
Not much but just to point out
1. Non branded Crank (expect Shimano )
2.Bontrager tyres (will change this in to continental or vittoria after 2000km )

Last edited by greyhound82 : 11th December 2020 at 21:47.
greyhound82 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 08:57   #5053
BHPian

Can you guys recommend a cycle for casual use? I have last ridden a cycle in my teens and am looking for a simple, no-fuss bike. So far I have short-listed the Btwin my bike and the rockrider st20. My budget is max 10k and my height is 5’7”.
Old 12th December 2020, 09:28   #5054
Senior - BHPian

I am using btwin mybike since August this year and had used btwin riverside 100 for an year. You should be able to get riverside 100 with all mandatory accessories for ~ 10k.
My height is 5'5" and bought size M.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 09:36   #5055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
So far I have short-listed the Btwin my bike and the rockrider st20. My budget is max 10k and my height is 5’7”
For the above budget both are good and parts are easily available in decathlon stores . Take a test drive and decide . You can always upgrade to a geared model later for long distance touring
greyhound82 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed