Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2021, 09:19   #5176
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Do inexpensive bibs disintegrate?

I am not sure if this is a problem peculiar only to me but it so happens that all of my bib shorts disintegrate and tear at the same location around my nether region over a period of time. These are el-cheapo aliexpress bibs and I sweat a lot when cycling. I do not feel any saddle discomfort for at least 2 hours wearing them, so I am not able to determine if the tear is due to a saddle misfit or just because these are low quality bibs worn down by sweat. Any pointers from folks who used cheap bibs? Should I be changing my saddle? I have posted a picture if it helps.
Yes bibs wear out. The lycra material starts getting very thin and see through compared to tge surrounding areas in areas of increased stress and friction. Plus the constant washing. Recently the upper cloth covering of my gel pad frayed through. Another bib has a big hole in the inside of the left thigh which keeps rubbing against the too long strap of my saddlebag.

Once the lycra loses its elasticity and does not hold the pad flush and moulded against you, it becomes useless and starts chafing. Time to replace then.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 16:30   #5177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Do inexpensive bibs disintegrate?
Have a BTWIN one being using it since 2.5 years and 4k kms, has lost elasticity near waist but overall has been great.
Waiting to buy the same one again , and another one with Gel inserts once size is available in decathlon.

I heard from someone that Lycra material should not be dried in typical manner, ie on rods or drying hangers etc. It should be left flat on some surface to dry.Experts can enlighten us if its correct.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 12:41   #5178
BHPian

Has anyone used/bought products like these in India?https://redshiftsports.com/products/...uspension-stem. I always find it out of stock in Amazon or even if it comes, insanely priced. I have a hybrid Schwinn super sport 2 Disc https://www.flipkart.com/schwinn-sup...m300e02af11e1f. Only issue with this cycle is that I am riding it inside my apt regularly for 7-8kms and its over pavement blocks. This is like riding over a lot of small bumps continuously and becomes painful after 45 mins - so looking for a solution like above. I like this cycle, so not keen on changing it if I can make it work with solutions like a suspension stem/seat post.

I like the above as reviewers are claiming that its a good compromise between a full fledged suspension fork vs a rigid one.
partha379 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 14:05   #5179
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by partha379 View Post
I am riding it inside my apt regularly for 7-8kms and its over pavement blocks. This is like riding over a lot of small bumps continuously and becomes painful after 45 mins - so looking for a solution like above. I like this cycle, so not keen on changing it if I can make it work with solutions like a suspension stem/seat post.
I suspect bad fit. If the frame size is correct for your height, you may still need to adjust your seat height and reach. It is also possible that you are gripping the handlebars too tight.
Old 7th January 2021, 15:40   #5180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I suspect bad fit. If the frame size is correct for your height, you may still need to adjust your seat height and reach. It is also possible that you are gripping the handlebars too tight.
Possible. But I suspect the continuous jolts simply because its the same cycle and fit that I used to ride on a smooth road outside my complex (Boat club road for ppl who know Chennai) and I never felt this pain. And I have experimented with tire pressures, at the recommended pressure pain comes faster - riding at less than recommended pressure helps to smooth out the bumps a bit and allows me to ride longer!

This is the reason for thinking that solutions like suspension stem might help.
Old 7th January 2021, 17:55   #5181
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Ending this disaster of an year with 3600 kms in cycling and 540 kms in running.
Some decent performances considering the fact that I only trained 2 months for running and 6 months for cycling.

Some highlights:
Longest distance (cycling) - 63 kms
Longest distance (running) - 14 kms
Hours trained (cycling) - 128 hrs
Hours trained (running) - 63 hrs
16.4 kms TT (cycling) - 25:28
5km TT (running) - 22:02
Awesome year Mi10 considering there was this long lockdown in the initial days of the year . What are your goals for 2021?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Here's my stats for 2020. A decent year overall. Good roadie punchy rides early in the year with a lot of PRs (especially on marque climbs) and my fastest 100 (just a shade under 30 kmph).
Cheers, Doc
A lot of miles there Doc. Hope you will breach the 30kmph barrier for 100 km rides easily this year .

My stats from 2020:

Cycling: 5030 kms @average 27 kmph
Running: 1058 kms @average 5.40 mins/km pace
Cycling highlights: Completed a 300 km BRM with 3500m+ elevation in 18.5 hours, FTP is 210W, PR for 100 kms @32kmph (not a non-stop ride though).
Running highlights:10km PR@49 mins, 15km PR@1h 15mins, Longest run - 20km, Improved running posture and gait.

Goals for 2021:

Cycling: 6000 kms. Improve FTP to at least 230W.
Running: 1000 kms. Target a PR for Half Marathon - 1h 45 mins. Target a PR for 10km - 47 mins.
kat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 00:03   #5182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Awesome year Mi10 considering there was this long lockdown in the initial days of the year . What are your goals for 2021?

A lot of miles there Doc. Hope you will breach the 30kmph barrier for 100 km rides easily this year .

My stats from 2020:

Cycling: 5030 kms @average 27 kmph
Running: 1058 kms @average 5.40 mins/km pace
Cycling highlights: Completed a 300 km BRM with 3500m+ elevation in 18.5 hours, FTP is 210W, PR for 100 kms @32kmph (not a non-stop ride though).
Running highlights:10km PR@49 mins, 15km PR@1h 15mins, Longest run - 20km, Improved running posture and gait.

Goals for 2021:

Running: 1000 kms. Target a PR for Half Marathon - 1h 45 mins. Target a PR for 10km - 47 mins.
Great stats and very good speed over 100 km.

FTP actually means little unless you tell us your weight.

For example my peak FTP last year when I was on the structured sessions on the trainer was 215 w. However my weight is 85 kilos. But that was a good jump from starting at 174 w and moving up then to 198 w.

My goal in 2021 is consistency.

Both speed and endurance naturally follow.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 07:14   #5183
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Great stats and very good speed over 100 km.

FTP actually means little unless you tell us your weight.

For example my peak FTP last year when I was on the structured sessions on the trainer was 215 w. However my weight is 85 kilos. But that was a good jump from starting at 174 w and moving up then to 198 w.

My goal in 2021 is consistency.

Both speed and endurance naturally follow.

Cheers, Doc
Oh right, missed it. Weight is 71 kgs now (height 5' 9"), so FTP is 2.95 W/kg. Trying to reduce weight to 68 kgs, but it's very difficult.
kat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 10:11   #5184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh right, missed it. Weight is 71 kgs now (height 5' 9"), so FTP is 2.95 W/kg. Trying to reduce weight to 68 kgs, but it's very difficult.
That's great. 3 w/kg is my medium to short term goal too once I get back on to the trainer. Right now with the weather I'm having too much fun on the road. Would be a crime to waste that!

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 19:15   #5185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Goals for 2021:
Wow super stats! and nice set of quantified goals as well

Quote:
That's great. 3 w/kg is my medium to short term goal too once I get back on to the trainer. Right now with the weather I'm having too much fun on the road. Would be a crime to waste that!

Cheers, Doc
Nice Doc, always fun takes precedence in hobbies ! nice to know the watt/kg, mine is just a shade over yours at 3.15.
Right now at 70 kgs (and 175 cm height), and while i would be great to lose couple more but need to be conscious of not lose muscle mass.

Quote:
Very different set of goals (but quite underestimated and often overlooked part).
Goal 1: Sleep and passive recovery - Been ignoring this area for quite a long time and i feel i ll do much better in my training even if i sleep for 1 hour more every day.
Moves: Sleep Tracking App to make a conscious effort in tracking and ensuring atleast at a weekly level i reconcile for a min 45 hour sleep. Starting doing this from 3rd week of December and going on smooth till now.

Goal 2: Diet and Eating habits - A great fan of Junk food and binge eating now and then! Time to keep a full stop!
Moves: Water ! Always keep water handy and whenever i feel hungry and an itch to bite into something, i first take some water. Again doing this from Dec and have already started feeling a lot more lighter and agile.have also drastically reduced white sugar intake.

Goal 3: Getting the rhythm back in running - Something that came naturally to me but completely messed it up owing to my arrogance and foolhardy ways!
Moves: Started with run + cycling session in Nov and started doing easy medium runs in Dec. Chalked out a 5km and 10 km plan for the fist two quarters of 2021.

Goal 4: Duathalon aspirations - Would want to attempt once in 2021 (atleast a virtual one) and focus on ITT more.
Moves: Will be doing couple more ITT in Q1 2021. Training going on for this plan.

Goal 5: Bike upgrade - But i dont know if this can happen in 2021 or 2022. Lot depends on how i progress in training and how i outgrow the bike as a cyclist. So waiting for this one
Mi10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 20:44   #5186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow super stats! and nice set of quantified goals as well

Nice Doc, always fun takes precedence in hobbies !
I've read all the gyaan about HIIT and structured training etc but I'm an old school rider. I ride because I really like riding. It's that simple. Everything else I've tried my hand along the way in cycling is secondary to that.

Eventually when I get around to it, outside the monsoon months (when the caad will be on the trainer and tge ACT will do road duty) I'd like to make tge necessary changes to the axle of the rear wheel of the ACT to be able to mount it on the trainer and enjoy the gains on my racing machine on the road.

If you want to use the same bike on the road and the trainer, even if you have two wheels, eventually getting the bike back on the trainer and tge roller tension dialled in correctly to within the spindown callibration is a two-man job ... or it requires at least unclipping and getting off 3-4 times to get it exactly right yourself.

Because if you are training to power you want to keep the roller tension and air pressure as close as possible to what it was when you did your FTP and that's a much narrower window than dimply calibrating the roller.

Once calibrated, as long as you check the tyre pressure before every session, you are good to go.

So bottom line is that with one bike it's very cumbersome doing a mixed program of road work and trainer sessions, especially if you want to alternate every other day or morning - evening.

Other than that, I'd like to start doing some touring now. Multi day. Like on motorcycles. Traveling as light as possible. One track and 2 t shirts. And an extra set of bibs and jersey. I think I can get away for a week in that much! A small 10-15 liter btwin bag on the back should suffice aided by a saddle bag and top tube bag, a mini front handlebar bag if necessary (not really needed), and the 3 pockets of your jersey.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 8th January 2021 at 20:46.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 21:26   #5187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you want to use the same bike on the road and the trainer, even if you have two wheels, eventually getting the bike back on the trainer and tge roller tension dialled in correctly to within the spindown callibration is a two-man job ... or it requires at least unclipping and getting off 3-4 times to get it exactly right yourself.

Because if you are training to power you want to keep the roller tension and air pressure as close as possible to what it was when you did your FTP and that's a much narrower window than dimply calibrating the roller.

Once calibrated, as long as you check the tyre pressure before every session, you are good to go.

So bottom line is that with one bike it's very cumbersome doing a mixed program of road work and trainer sessions, especially if you want to alternate every other day or morning - evening.
Doc, time to upgrade to a direct drive trainer
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 21:39   #5188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Doc, time to upgrade to a direct drive trainer
Lol yeah man.

But honestly, for that money, I'll break open an old piggy bank and pick myself up a nice 105 alloy Cannondale.

Remember the golden Velominati rule about the number of bikes a cyclist needs.

N+1

N being the number he currently owns.

Or

S-1

Where S is the number at which dear spouse files for separation.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 15:18   #5189
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Very different set of goals (but quite underestimated and often overlooked part).
Different, yes, but very important. Sleep, recovery and diet are of utmost importance for an injury-free training and a healthy lifestyle. I average 8 hours of sleep a day, hence I am good with it. Diet is something I need to focus on as well. Started following IF (16 hours) on weekdays and that helps in maintaining weight, but for reducing further, I need to eat better.
Regarding duathlons, what are your targets? In recent past, I did a 10-40-5 self supported duathlon in 3 hours, 11 mins (including breaks). This year, I am planning for a 15-60-10 within 5 hours.
And the most important one, which bike is on top of your mind? I am smitten by aero disc brake models but off late, all bike prices have increased by at least 20-30% compared to pre-covid levels. Will have to wait and watch.
kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 19:20   #5190
BHPian

I got my cycle serviced by the new bike shop I found. I felt he charged reasonable price of 1.5K with bearing replacement and 1 set of shoe replacement. Really can feel the difference now. Only thing is need to get the handlebar adjusted a bit. I feel it has turned a bit and hence the grips are bit hard on the hands. Have to take care and keep the cycle well maintained now.

Thanks to Doc for all the suggestion and guidance on maintenance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks